Cold light of day

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Cold light of day

Waking up this cold morning having digested last night's rubbish like a dodgy chicken fillet a few things become clear:

- This AFL season is the most even in years and being just 5% off against most teams flirts with disaster
- This is still a developing team and list and last week was nothing more than a perfect storm (in reverse) where everything that could go right did. We are to good enough at this point. Our depth is young and cant afford to have guys such as Webster, Membrey, Armitage, Longer, Dunstan, Acres, Weller, all not available due to suspension, injury or form.
- This group can play as the hunters but cannot as the hunted
- I believe AR is a good coach and has these guys on the right path
- IF we make finals will scape in ( i think we miss by %) and making up numbers - WB have given everyone the delusion you can win it from anywhere.

Now the stuff which i am sure will start debate:

- Hickeys performance last night was unacceptable. His lack of competitiveness and effort at times was embarrassing for a guy who 12 months ago was No.1 ruck and smashed the best ruckman last year in Gawn. Footy starts in the middle. Must be dropped.
- Whatever we paid for Carlisle was unders. Without him last night we are 10 goals down at half time.
- Roo is one of the best players i have seen wear the jumper but i think time is up . He still has the desire and ability to influence games every so often but he is a Champion and should go out with a little left in the tank rather than running on empty. Ultimately he has earned the privilege to make the call i just think it should be done soon.
- Joey was great last week but is he off half back stifling the development of Rice, White, Webster, Savage, etc? While he is probably better than them at the moment we aren't winning a premiership this year . Tough call does he go or can he be a Matthew Boyd type?
- We lack a class on baller. We have no silk. Ross is a hard worker and probably a B+ mid. Steven covers ground well but foot skills can let him down, Newness and Billings are almost there but again not as good with disposal as should be. We have no Winmar, Dal Santo, etc. Class users who will hit targets lace out consistently. Whatever it takes to get Kelly or Martin or Whitfield must be done.

All we want to see is effort and improvement which overall I have seen this year , the next step though is the hardest and perhaps we need a small step back to go forward?

Cant see us beating Syd, Port away
50/50 - WC here, Melbourne and Richmond
Win North.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Cold light of day

older saint wrote:Waking up this cold morning having digested last night's rubbish like a dodgy chicken fillet a few things become clear:

- This AFL season is the most even in years and being just 5% off against most teams flirts with disaster
- This is still a developing team and list and last week was nothing more than a perfect storm (in reverse) where everything that could go right did. We are to good enough at this point. Our depth is young and cant afford to have guys such as Webster, Membrey, Armitage, Longer, Dunstan, Acres, Weller, all not available due to suspension, injury or form.
- IF we make finals will scape in ( i think we miss by %) and making up numbers - WB have given everyone the delusion you can win it from anywhere.

- Hickeys performance last night was unacceptable. His lack of competitiveness and effort at times was embarrassing for a guy who 12 months ago was No.1 ruck and smashed the best ruckman last year in Gawn. Footy starts in the middle. Must be dropped.
- Whatever we paid for Carlisle was unders. Without him last night we are 10 goals down at half time.
- Roo is one of the best players i have seen wear the jumper but i think time is up . He still has the desire and ability to influence games every so often but he is a Champion and should go out with a little left in the tank rather than running on empty. Ultimately he has earned the privilege to make the call i just think it should be done soon.
- Joey was great last week but is he off half back stifling the development of Rice, White, Webster, Savage, etc? While he is probably better than them at the moment we aren't winning a premiership this year . Tough call does he go or can he be a Matthew Boyd type?
- We lack a class on baller. We have no silk. Ross is a hard worker and probably a B+ mid. Steven covers ground well but foot skills can let him down, Newness and Billings are almost there but again not as good with disposal as should be. We have no Winmar, Dal Santo, etc. Class users who will hit targets lace out consistently. Whatever it takes to get Kelly or Martin or Whitfield must be done.

All we want to see is effort and improvement which overall I have seen this year , the next step though is the hardest and perhaps we need a small step back to go forward?

Win North.
Agree with just about all of this. Not sure about Hickey. I was a fan last year but I'm not sure playing VFL every week has helped him. Don't know about dropping players after one game but last night was unacceptable.
I'm still quite bullish about what we can achieve for the rest of the season but we need to be at our best. Any drop off and we look second rate. Can't see us winning the next two but we can win the next four. The season is all over the place. Could anyone see us beating GWS earlier or predict the result against the Tigers?
Our biggest area for improvement is class through the midfield. Kelley would be ideal but we probably need another one as well.
And re Carlisle, with every game he plays that trade becomes a bigger win for us.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Some tough but fair calls there

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
older saint
SS Life Member

remboy wrote:
older saint wrote:Waking up this cold morning having digested last night's rubbish like a dodgy chicken fillet a few things become clear:

Win North.
Agree with just about all of this. Not sure about Hickey. I was a fan last year but I'm not sure playing VFL every week has helped him. Don't know about dropping players after one game but last night was unacceptable.
I'm still quite bullish about what we can achieve for the rest of the season but we need to be at our best. Any drop off and we look second rate. Can't see us winning the next two but we can win the next four. The season is all over the place. Could anyone see us beating GWS earlier or predict the result against the Tigers?
Our biggest area for improvement is class through the midfield. Kelley would be ideal but we probably need another one as well.
And re Carlisle, with every game he plays that trade becomes a bigger win for us.

Funny i was a Hickey fan until last night, and trying not to be too hard on one performance as these are humans who have same issues as everyone and can have a bad work day, but the lack of effort just burns.
Last edited by older saint on Sat 15 Jul 2017 4:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Pinch Hitters
Club Player

I was one of those suggesting Hickey was close to All Australian last year, so his form this year has been perplexing.

There seems to be a divide where there are some supporters in the "Billy camp" and others in the "Hickey camp" and they both seem to revel in the failures of the other camps ruck. This is silly because we need them both to be firing, performances like that from Hickey last night shouldn't have had anybody c**k a hoop.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Win North.
Great post. Agree 100% with everything. We must get games into White and others. We have to bite the bullet on Joey, although as you say, he probably has earnt another year. The problem is that we aren't ready to be a contender, and that would be the only reason that you'd want him to play on.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Hickey was never going to be a match winner on Friday.
He's missed allot of footy through injury and playing limited time in the VFL.
He should have played at least a half for sandy last Sunday.
When you don't play you lose touch
I wonder how long the boys spend on goal kicking practice

In red white and black from 73
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure Tom wasn't happy with his own performance. No sense in heaping more crap on him. I'm sure that he'll come good again.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
older saint
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm sure Tom wasn't happy with his own performance. No sense in heaping more crap on him. I'm sure that he'll come good again.
I am sure he wasn't as anyone with competitive bone in their body would be. I would also hope footballers wouldn't be silly enough to waste time reading crap like this from never were let alone want to be footballer, who are armchair experts like myself.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Spoken like an (armchair?) expert older Saint! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)