Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hickey

Moods wrote:
stonecold wrote:Fair enough Fiery, but I've copped a lot of s*** on here for backing Billy!!!!!!!
Mate, Billy has been crap most of the year. Back him all you like. Most of us conceded that he was playing because Hickey couldn't get a kick in the magoos, but that doesn't mean you were right about Longer. The last couple of games Longer played great - especially last week. Before that he was putrid.
I was going to stay away, having just got home, but to suggest Billy's been crap most of the year is nonsense, on stilts.

Billy competes in the middle of the battle, sits top 4 for hit outs and to advantage. The mids trust him to compete, and play accordingly. He's physical, durable, hard and stays involved. Yeah, he mightn't get oodles of possession stats but, by crikey, the blokes around him go better for his presence - and he has presence.

As someone noted earlier, Hick was always going to struggle when the 3rd man up was banned. He was never much chop at centre restarts, but outside those, with help via the 3rd man up, he got off and used his slightly diverse kit bag of tricks.

But, it's a different ball game now, and he has to find another place.

It is very, very hard to argue, after tonight, that Billy is not among a handful of our most important players. Seriously, they all walk a lot taller, and work better together, when Billy leads the way on COMPETING.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

We need to acquire a decent ruckman at the end of the season - plain and simple!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Billy is VERY decent.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:We need to acquire a decent ruckman at the end of the season - plain and simple!
When you finally come down from your high horse Numpty Dumpty, you may realise and except the fact we have one!!!!!!!

He's name is Billy Longer!!!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Billy is VERY decent.
Well, he had a decent game last week. Not sure if he's had many decent games other than the Richmond game though.

elizabethr
Club Player

Pfttt..

nothing to say
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Sainternist wrote:We need to acquire a decent ruckman at the end of the season - plain and simple!
When you finally come down from your high horse Numpty Dumpty, you may realise and except the fact we have one!!!!!!!

It was a blissful two weeks on the forum without cabbages like yourself and CityWest.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
Well, he had a decent game last week. Not sure if he's had many decent games other than the Richmond game though.
Numpty Dumpty, Bulldogs, GWS and many more!!!!!!!

stonecold
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
stonecold wrote:

It was a blissful two weeks on the forum without cabbages like yourself and CityWest.
Two weeks off Grave Stompin, hey Numpty Dumpty!!!!!!!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Why are you back here so soon after embarrassing yourself the way you did a fortnight ago?

lewdogs
Club Player

Feel a bit sorry for Hick after tonight. He was clearly very nervous and lacking confidence. Didn't help him that the midfield didn't show up. He had some bad moments but he was actually far from our worse tonight, and in the period where we almost looked like we might get back in it in the last quarter he actually started to play quite well.

Having said that, Billy is about the Flemington straight ahead right now in the ruck race.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Until tonight I rated him our No.1. He was utterly terrible tonight and played as if he'd surrendered the No.1 spot meekly. As far as I'm concerned, he's now our No.4

stonecold
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Why are you back here so soon after embarrassing yourself the way you did a fortnight ago?
I'm not embarrassed Numpty Dumpty, it was called.Humour!!!!!!

See nothing has changed in two,weeks, your still your own biggest fan!!!!!!!

<warning for ONGOING DISPUTE>

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
I'm not embarrassed Numpty Dumpty, it was called.Humour!!!!!!

See nothing has changed in two,weeks, your still your own biggest fan!!!!!!!
You'll be back in your place soon, Stonecold.

<Warning for ONGOING DISPUTE - please make yourself aware of the penalties involved if this continues>

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Hickey was so bad tonight, that I honestly don't think he could possibly play a worse game for the rest of his career.

Yes, he's yet to come close to recapturing that 2016 form. But that form was so impressive, I refuse to believe that he's totally lost it. I really do think that it's between the ears.

But unfortunately for Hickey, that's something only he can overcome and with Billy's form getting stronger by the round, there is no way he can retain his spot after tonight.

The only way I can see him getting back into the seniors at this stage is not just impress at VFL, but completely break the door off its hinges week after week, and that will still probably be only if Longer is either injured or experiences a form slump of his own.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
What, didn't see the GWS game?!?!

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
doggerel
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Three quarters of our yeam tonight were very poor. Hickey was not the worst, but was one of the many below par tonight.
I respectfully disagree. I think he was right up there amongst the worst, and made the others around him so much worse.

The Longer haters are correct in saying that Billy doesn't give much around the ground, but drawing at least even at ruck contests is vital. To be slaughtered like Hickey was is to put the team on the back foot in a game which is so influenced by momentum.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
That was two months ago. Apart from the GWS and the Richmond games, he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire. He's serviceable. Ideally, he'd be a good second ruckman.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
That was two months ago. Apart from the GWS and the Richmond games, he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire. He's serviceable. Ideally, he'd be a good second ruckman.
Good point. He did some nice things in the first half against Freo, but faded in the second.

It will be very premature of us to declare that Longer has arrived after one four quarter effort, but I do quietly hope its a start.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
The Recruit
Club Player

Hickey is mentally weak. He drops his head when things don't go his way and he loses confidence in games way to quickly.
His body language can be terrible at times and this can be like a cancer in a team.

I have been a fan of Toms but after tonight I don't see him as any better than a backup ruckman. His currency is almost nothing so as a backup he will be okay on the list. Nothing more.

If Longer can play at 80% of how he did against the Tigers he will be a very good no.1 ruckman for our club for many years.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hickey played like he knows that he is on the outer, which I am sure he is.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Recruit
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Hickey played like he knows that he is on the outer, which I am sure he is.
Yep. Just showed how his mind works though...he was almost playing for his career tonight...he should have fought to be the no.1 man but typical Hickey...it's all just a bit too hard.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Hickey played like he knows that he is on the outer, which I am sure he is.
It must be difficult knowing that the coach would prefer Longer out there. I can see how that might affect his confidence.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

I liken longer to Mumford, as his presence makes our mids better, and he does a lot of bullokong at stoppages. He'll never be all Australian, but he fills a role and helps our clearances. I have no doubt hickey would have still been our number 1 had third man up still been a thing, but I'm afraid that he willl have to reinvent himself in order to find a place in the team.

If billy is not in next week, Holmes should be.

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
stonecold
SS Life Member

Lucky for Tom Mal Blight is not still coaching, we could have had another Pitman call!!!!!!!