Why not Rocky, Lever, Kelly and Whitfield?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SMS
Club Player

Why not Rocky, Lever, Kelly and Whitfield?

Rocky 800k FA 3 years
Lever $1m 2017 First 5 years
Whitfield $750k 2017 First 4 years
Kelly $1.2m 2018 First 5 years

----
Flag would be ours in 2018 as Reiwoldt continues for some games, Freemand and Goddard get back and the growth of all the young guns.

WHY NOT? We can afford it. We have the picks. Afl want and need us to win a flag. Well this is the way.

WHY NOT??

SMS
Club Player

Re: Why not Rocky, Lever, Kelly and Whitfield?

GWS can have Hickey and Lonie too. Lol theyre good and whatvGWS need. Any chance?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote: WHY NOT? We can afford it. We have the picks. Afl want and need us to win a flag. Well this is the way.

WHY NOT??
Because we don't have 5 first round picks to get that lot

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

1.We would need four top ten picks.
We only have one.

2. Why would any of them want to play for us?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:1.We would need four top ten picks.
We only have one.

2. Why would any of them want to play for us?
cos we all barrack for the Saints that's why!

Good enough for us then it's good enough for them

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
kazonte13
Club Player

Throw in Dusty and its a deal .

Ellaandjohn
Club Player

Wowee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMS
Club Player

Wtf? Why not? FA for rocky we dont need a pick.

Id rather whitfield cheaper than kelly

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Wouldn't pay Lever more than 400k a year, most overrated youngster going around. We've got Carlisle to play that role, and about 3 others developing for it as well. Lever hasn't shown he can play in any other position other than as a loose tall in the backline, Carlisle can play Ruck and forward as well as backmen.

I'm open to Whitfield though, he's like if we mixed Newnes athleticism and hard work, with Sinclair class and poise

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
SMS
Club Player

3!others?? Godsard and?

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

SMS wrote:3!others?? Godsard and?
Marshall can play there, Coughlan, and Joyce are all developing talls.

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:3!others?? Godsard and?
Forget about Goddard. Hasn't been on the park for 2 years pretty much come 2018 and when last played AFL was terribly slow

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Whitfield resigned with GWS earlier in the year. He is off the table!

aaron82
Club Player

Whitfield is an interesting prospect. I'd be most keen on him coming to the club.
We wouldn't need to sell the farm to get him, he grew up on the peninsula so he is local and he is apparently mates with a few on our list.

Whilst being signed up to GWS for 2018 he wouldn't be the first player to want out mid way through a contract. Whether GWS would Cam McCarthy him is another question.
He may come up in trade discussions later in the year. GWS are always very active in this period.

and that's the bottom line
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

SMS wrote:Rocky 800k FA 3 years
Lever $1m 2017 First 5 years
Whitfield $750k 2017 First 4 years
Kelly $1.2m 2018 First 5 years
Rocky FA - Easy, tick, would want more than $800k though. Lions wouldn't match, AFL would give them Band 1 compo for sure.
Lever - Pick 14, 3rd defender type, hasn't put a foot wrong, 21 Y.O, wanted by every Victorian club. Swap for Saints 2017 pick (8-12 ish) & steak knives (depth player or later pick)
Whitfield - Pick 1, Contracted, solid mid without dominating, wants out but if GWS are losing Kelly, they can bump his salary to change his mind. Would need a mid first and 2nd to get the deal done, maybe Saints 2018 pick & 2nd rounder from trading Hickey
Kelly - Pick 2, gun mid, every club in the comp would want him, high profile move will bump up the cost, bidding war will get played out (like Treloar), would need 2 top 10 picks to get it done, Hawks 2017 pick is one, but where does the other come from?? Would we do it if we had to trade out Paddy??

Can't fault your ambition, but I can't see us pulling all of these together. I reckon if we can pull off 2 of these, we should be over the moon, and would instantly be stronger come 2018.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Whitfield resigned with GWS earlier in the year. He is off the table!

Think that's not correct. There was talk of re-signing. I read it at the time of normal manager's straight bat answer to reporter's questions. Haven't seen any confirmation that Whitfield has re-signed at this point.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Whitfield resigned with GWS earlier in the year. He is off the table!

Think that's not correct. There was talk of re-signing. I read it at the time of normal manager's straight bat answer to reporter's questions. Haven't seen any confirmation that Whitfield has re-signed at this point.
His last signature was mid 2016, signed until the end of 2018.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Gee, talk about taking optimism to absurd levels.

The way these things usually work out, we'll do very well to snare even one of these four, or Martin instead. All indications are that Kelly is our number one target. I don't reckon we we would want Rockliff, or need Lever. And, as others have pointed out, Whitfield is under contract for another year.

The problem with Kelly is that clubs which believe that they are further away from a serious shot at a premiership (eg, North Melbourne and perhaps Carlton) might be prepared to pay even more for him than us. Whereas Martin, although still comparatively young, would fit neatly into our likely bid for glory in the 2018-2021 period: I'm talking, of course, in the comparatively unlikely event that he wants to leave the Tigers.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I would throw a lot at Whitfield.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I would throw a lot at Whitfield.
I haven't seen him dominate a game.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Question is ..... could we nab both Kelly and Martin with our fat war chest?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Question is ..... could we nab both Kelly and Martin with our fat war chest?
Even if we could (surely unlikely), we shouldn't IMO. Our priorities, in order, should be.

1. Sign a genuine star (Kelly is the best option I reckon).

2. Throw some of our extra $$$ at our existing list, rewarding those who've come on really well.

3. If there's any left over, grab some good established talent to fill gaps.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Question is ..... could we nab both Kelly and Martin with our fat war chest?
Even if we could (surely unlikely), we shouldn't IMO. Our priorities, in order, should be.

2. Throw some of our extra $$$ at our existing list, rewarding those who've come on really well.

Sorry but 2. and 3. is how GT f****** up a tilt at a flag or two. We paid too much too our young emerging stars, and players like Ball gave us no loyalty once the largess for being overpaid for results delivered finished. Overpaying that group of players prevented us from bringing in topline talent when we needed to most. Many rail against the Saints topping up with older players, GOPs and players who had not made it at their past club instead of a star or two, but the sad reality is that those inflated contracts meant that we could not do so.

So the Saints MUST not repeat that mistake.

Our list management team need to not now fritter away the war-chest we have built up. Yes those on the rise get more, but only fairly so. But we cannot not throw $$$ at who we have.
You look at the Cats and the Hawks and both of these team through their recent great eras are characterised by not paying $$$ to the few.

So it CANNOT be a case of "if there's any left over", but that there MUST be cash left over. If the Saints need a player like a Jolly, or an Ottens, in 2-4 years to complete our team we must be in the position to get that player.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Sorry but 2. and 3. is how GT f****** up a tilt at a flag or two. We paid too much too our young emerging stars, and players like Ball gave us no loyalty once the largess for being overpaid for results delivered finished. Overpaying that group of players prevented us from bringing in topline talent when we needed to most. Many rail against the Saints topping up with older players, GOPs and players who had not made it at their past club instead of a star or two, but the sad reality is that those inflated contracts meant that we could not do so.

So the Saints MUST not repeat that mistake.

Our list management team need to not now fritter away the war-chest we have built up. Yes those on the rise get more, but only fairly so. But we cannot not throw $$$ at who we have.
You look at the Cats and the Hawks and both of these team through their recent great eras are characterised by not paying $$$ to the few.

So it CANNOT be a case of "if there's any left over", but that there MUST be cash left over. If the Saints need a player like a Jolly, or an Ottens, in 2-4 years to complete our team we must be in the position to get that player.
I can't agree with you. It was the right thing to do to secure all our stars in the mid-2000s. Ball didn't stay past the end of his contract, but are you seriously suggesting that was mainly due to money? But we were able to retain the core of a team that finished in the top four in 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009 and 2010 and should have been in the top four in 2006 bar the AFL robbing us of 2 points! It was good list management, on the whole (there was the small matter of Lovett...)

What is bad list management is throwing a huge amount of money at a couple of stars, and not having enough to keep rewarding your core as they improve. That's what we'd end up doing if we try to sign two or more superstars for next year. One is enough.

And "topping up" is quite ok if you pick well. St Kilda is currrently a bit like a team built from "top ups": Membrey, Bruce, Steele, Weller, Stevens, Hickey, Longer, Roberton, Brown, Savage and Carlisle (although Jake is arguably a minor star). And we go ok, don't we? I also wouldn't mind if we spend our kitty on getting some more of the same. In my book, a Kelly or a Martin is a "nice to have", rather than drop dead essential. And that has to be the case, because we might not snare one: and that shouldn't be grounds for slashing our wrists.

- Jonathan Swift
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Sorry but 2. and 3. is how GT f****** up a tilt at a flag or two. We paid too much too our young emerging stars, and players like Ball gave us no loyalty once the largess for being overpaid for results delivered finished.
I was of the view that GT helped create the foundations for success and the blueprint for a team culture including the loyalty of the list (who included most of the leaders within the core playing group). I believe that RL was the main reason the loyalty dissolved.

Without the loyalty and belief created by GT the team wouldn't have got that close under RL imo, but it's all hypothetical. I reckon GT would have got the job done if he was given a chance. But history will say he failed as did RL. Only difference is that GT wasn't given the opportunity to see the fruits of the maturity of the group. RL had the core group in their prime.

If you want to be like a politician and blame GT because RL failed as a coach that's your business.