Where are all the Lyontologists?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Where are all the Lyontologists?

chook23 wrote:Egg on face of many posters in this thread
I was one of many who was looking forward to Freo getting beaten each week, and seeing Lyon's ugly sad mug on TV here in Perth.
And I was expecting a lot of Schadenfreude.
Instead, tomorrow, the Sunday Times will surely have Ro$$ on the front in colour, a 2 page liftout of the team to hang on the wall
Ro$$ will be on every radio station fending off questions and basking in glory.
Damn.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Seriously man?

No one ever doubted that the man had some ability and it was a good win but it hardly proves he is indisputably the master coach and that any criticisms of him are not valid.

Let's at least see the season out before we ooh and aaah his 1-2 start to the season

He got his own thread 2 games into the season but now we need to wait until the season is out?

Not sure on your stance but many in the thread have been waiting in a dark basement for the chance to be proven and rejoice in the fact he is not our coach. If you are so happy, why the bitterness and constant need to be validated? You do realise you had to wait 5 years for threads like these, he was Freos best ever coach after 5 minutes there.

Anyways, Lyon is a terrific coach. Those that don't think so can continue their bitter existence, and wait for opportunities to make more threads like these. He'll be coaching for the next 10, either at Freo or other so you'll def get your chances.

You should be happy he walked. Happy with the club for constructing a contract w a 3 month get out clause. And bitter no more because he did you a favour!
You haven't read the thread have you? It seems you're just spoiling for a fight

It boggles my mind that thinking he's overrated or that he coached poorly on a few occasions means I have to be bitter

And no I haven't had to wait 5 years for threads like these. For starters I didn't start this or weigh until we started talking about the GFs from a few seasons back. Furthermore, Lyon has had critics popping up since post 2009 GF but whatever

And on your first comment... trying grasping a context before commenting next time. Lyon is currently maligned because his team plummeted to 16th last season. My comment was in reference to the fact that one win does not mean he's back or that he's fixed everything.

Meh what a waste of time conversing with you has been - do me a favour and add me to foe list so we don't have to do this again

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Same coach who took them to 0-10 last year.
The only thing that's changed is some very good recruiting - the injection of more pace in their midfield, an improved forward line and the return of Fyfe and Sandilands.

Wouldn't mind their midfield (might be the best going around) - that's our weakness at the moment - it's not our coach.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Where are all the Lyontologists?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

In the 8 with a percentage of 78. The man is a genius.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Just beat the bottom team by 5 points with a total of 62 points.

Textbook Lyon!

longtimesaint
Club Player

samoht wrote:Same coach who took them to 0-10 last year.
The only thing that's changed is some very good recruiting - the injection of more pace in their midfield, an improved forward line and the return of Fyfe and Sandilands.

Wouldn't mind their midfield (might be the best going around) - that's our weakness at the moment - it's not our coach.
They beat the so called super midfields of Brisbane and Collingwood.

One year will be our year
longtimesaint
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:Just beat the bottom team by 5 points with a total of 62 points.

Textbook Lyon!
They were very lucky two weeks in a row - if the matches had been one minute shorter they would be 1-4

One year will be our year
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
I was one of many who was looking forward to Freo getting beaten each week, and seeing Lyon's ugly sad mug on TV here in Perth.
And I was expecting a lot of Schadenfreude.
Instead, tomorrow, the Sunday Times will surely have Ro$$ on the front in colour, a 2 page liftout of the team to hang on the wall
Ro$$ will be on every radio station fending off questions and basking in glory.
Damn.
Bloody small fishpond you live in WS...only just slightly bigger than the bathtub that is Adelaide.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Anyone else a bit miffed that Lyon has finally, after 10 years as a coach, realised that his strategy was flawed all along?

And, now that he's finally changed it - his team looks really good?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:Anyone else a bit miffed that Lyon has finally, after 10 years as a coach, realised that his strategy was flawed all along?

Nah, I've had a consistent view for the better part of a decade that he's a brilliant Coach. Always was and always will be. You've also got to commend the Freo FC for keeping the faith, unlike the morons we had running the Club when Lyon departed.

Any anger at Lyon for his departure ought to be directed at Michael Nettlefold, a disrespectful, too clever by half and incompetent clown and the rest of that moribund Board. We wasted 2 years because of their ineptitude.

Thank God the new Board got us back on track.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Anyone else a bit miffed that Lyon has finally, after 10 years as a coach, realised that his strategy was flawed all along?

Nah, I've had a consistent view for the better part of a decade that he's a brilliant Coach. Always was and always will be. You've also got to commend the Freo FC for keeping the faith, unlike the morons we had running the Club when Lyon departed.

Any anger at Lyon for his departure ought to be directed at Michael Nettlefold, a disrespectful, too clever by half and incompetent clown and the rest of that moribund Board. We wasted 2 years because of their ineptitude.

Brilliant coach if you don't want to win premierships. A bit like Richo..no Plan B

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:

To be fair, Lyon took the failed strategy with him to Freo and stitched them up too.

They're only looking half decent now that he's changed his plan. Finally.

He's wasted to of the best lists assembled this decade.

If only he'd woken up sooner.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

Brilliant coach if you don't want to win premierships. A bit like Richo..no Plan B

That's what I'm miffed about! He's always been 'brilliant' at getting players buy-in and getting them to carry out his plan to the letter. It's been his plan that been the problem all along!

Now he's finally changed it, and they look half decent! If only he'd woken up in 2009-2010.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Looking much better than that team that went within a whisker of winning the flag two years in a row.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

We were nowhere near a Top 4 list when he took over and never had a top 4 list in his tenure. In 2009 there were about 8 players in our best 22 that would not have gotten a game at any other Club. What he achieved was extraordinary, he set it up, got us to the big dance. The fact that Roo went into the 2009 GF nobbled and we missed a shitload of opportunties, was beyond his control. The fact that he lost Aaron Hamill who would've have been there in 09 & 10, was beyond his control. I'm also guessing that the non-recruitment of Cousins (for nothing) in '09 wasn't his decision.

Then in 2010, by finals time the Collingwood juggernaut were 10 goals better than any other team, yet he almost found a way to beat them, despite losing his ruckman early.

Are you going to bet against him winning a Premiership at Freo? I wouldn't.

Darth Vader
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:
spert wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

We were nowhere near a Top 4 list when he took over and never had a top 4 list in his tenure. In 2009 there were about 8 players in our best 22 that would not have gotten a game at any other Club. What he achieved was extraordinary, he set it up, got us to the big dance. The fact that Roo went into the 2009 GF nobbled and we missed a shitload of opportunties, was beyond his control. The fact that he lost Aaron Hamill who would've have been there in 09 & 10, was beyond his control. I'm also guessing that the non-recruitment of Cousins (for nothing) in '09 wasn't his decision.

Then in 2010, by finals time the Collingwood juggernaut were 10 goals better than any other team, yet he almost found a way to beat them, despite losing his ruckman early.

I wouldn't call Cousins dodging a hair test a "nothing" reason for his non-recruitment.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Time to put a Johnny Member slant on this

Freo have been completely smashed by Geelong, Port Adelaide and West Coast.

In turn they have beaten -

Bulldogs (in Perth)
Melbourne who were missing Gawn, Hogan and Lewis by 2 pts
Norf (in Perth) who were missing Waite and Higgins by 5 pts
Bombers (in Perth) - granted strong win
Richmond (on a downward slide) missing Prestia and Vlastuin (Martin playing sore) by 2pts
Carlton (in Perth)

They have a % of 90 and ...... sit 3rd last in shots at goal

Please tell me more about this new awesome game plan??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Darth Vader wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
spert wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

I wouldn't call Cousins dodging a hair test a "nothing" reason for his non-recruitment.
We would have got him for nothing at minimum wage. It was worth the risk, in the end we made that investment in Colm Begley!.

Even though 2009 showed he was past the peak of his powers, he still would have been better than McQualter or Eddy, not to mention his leadership and Premiership experience. If we got what Richmond got out of him, we would have been Premiers in '09.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Time to put a Johnny Member slant on this

Bulldogs (in Perth)
Richmond (on a downward slide) missing Prestia and Vlastuin (Martin playing sore) by 2pts
Carlton (in Perth)

It's not awesome, nor are they.

But they're looking half-decent, as I said.

My point isn't that they're now awesome, it's that this same list was 0-2 after coming off a horror 2016 - but once Lyon swallowed his prode and changed his strategy, they're suddenly winning games!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
And, under Lyon's flawed strategy they'd had 15 shots at goal to 6 by half time! 6 SHOTS AT GOAL IN A HALF. 6!!

And it wasn't until Lyon threw his strategy in the bin at half-time did we get back into the game! It took him 18 months to realise it!

So what does he do the following week in the replay?? Reverts to his flawed strategy and guess what? We get flogged.

Linton Lodger wrote: Are you going to bet against him winning a Premiership at Freo? I wouldn't.
I did bet against it. And won.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Time to put a Johnny Member slant on this

Bulldogs (in Perth)
Carlton (in Perth)

It's not awesome, nor are they.

But they're looking half-decent, as I said.

My point isn't that they're now awesome, it's that this same list was 0-2 after coming off a horror 2016 - but once Lyon swallowed his prode and changed his strategy, they're suddenly winning games!
Against average sides in Perth and depleted sides in Melbourne

Saints have beaten some average sides as well and have lost some significant players during games yet ........ we are seemingly in trouble and Freo are cruising with a new remarkable game plan

By the way what is this new remarkable game plan of Lyon's that you are banging on about ?

Did I mention that they are 3rd last for shots on goal? Doesn't seem like any anything has changed there

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:

Saints have beaten some average sides as well and have lost some significant players during games yet ........ we are seemingly in trouble and Freo are cruising with a new remarkable game plan

By the way what is this new remarkable game plan of Lyon's that you are banging on about ?

Did I mention that they are 3rd last for shots on goal? Doesn't seem like any anything has changed there
I'm not banging on about anything.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

I'm not banging on about anything.

:shock: :roll:

Darth Vader
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
spert wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

We would have got him for nothing at minimum wage. It was worth the risk, in the end we made that investment in Colm Begley!.

Even though 2009 showed he was past the peak of his powers, he still would have been better than McQualter or Eddy, not to mention his leadership and Premiership experience. If we got what Richmond got out of him, we would have been Premiers in '09.

Could well be right but don't think it was a nothing reason for not recruiting him. He was using and we knew it based on due diligence so didn't want to bring that into our club. Can't blame them. Wish we'd been as careful with Lovett.