Caroline Wilson's Mental Health

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: Caroline Wilson's Mental Health

saynta wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
saynta wrote:

Well said.

My dear old saintly mum always taught me that " sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me,"

But mum was born in another century, another time well before Trigg, her ilk, political correctness and Sec 18C.
There's nothing wrong with being nice to people, and not being an asshole.
What, on a football field? Give me a f****** break.

Anyway, there are far more arseholes around these days, including on this forum.

?

I didn't know Trigg played footy.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
saynta wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
saynta wrote:

Well said.

My dear old saintly mum always taught me that " sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me,"

But mum was born in another century, another time well before Trigg, her ilk, political correctness and Sec 18C.

Anyway, there are far more arseholes around these days, including on this forum.

?

haha. You really crack me up...Not. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
saynta wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
saynta wrote:

Well said.

?

haha. You really crack me up...Not. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Just trying to work out what Sec 18c has to do with footy?

I understand that being an asshole on the footy field is par for the course, between consenting adults.

But I'm not sure we should be encouraging people to be assholes in everyday life. Not sure that really helps anyone.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

+1

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:
saynta wrote:

Well said.

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever, cannot disagree with that.

However, let's not be oversensitive and react as a lynch mob everytime someone commits a 'thought crime'. We live in a time when people are losing their jobs for expressing their views on social media, as if their private views are any of their employers' business. Now that's a disgrace and an affront to a free society.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
saynta wrote:

Well said.

However, let's not be oversensitive and react as a lynch mob everytime someone commits a 'thought crime'. We live in a time when people are losing their jobs for expressing their views on social media, as if their private views are any of their employers' business. Now that's a disgrace and an affront to a free society.
+1... :lol:

It's all a storm in a f****** D cup, or so it would seem. :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
saynta wrote:

Well said.

duplication.
+1... :lol:

I believe in being nice to people who are nice to me.

Don't believe in turning the other cheek and there are thousands of arseholes around these days.

But hey!!!!

Live and let live.
Last edited by saynta on Fri 19 May 2017 3:34pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

She is just another journo who is paid for comment, she can say what she likes , doesn't have to be true or close to it, best job in the world. The thing that keeps her in work are the people who take on board and react to her meanderings.
Like some of the people on here, on this thread.

Ignore her like I do...you'll feel better and if enough ignore her , off to centrelink.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:She is just another journo who is paid for comment, she can say what she likes , doesn't have to be true or close to it, best job in the world. The thing that keeps her in work are the people who take on board and react to her meanderings.
Like some of the people on here, on this thread.

Ignore her like I do...you'll feel better and if enough ignore her , off to centrelink.
Seems to be a plan.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
saynta wrote:

Well said.

But that's purely commercial.

If it was cool to be racist, or to be an asshole - then businesses wouldn't have an issue with people expressing certain views publicly.

Alan Jones and 2GB are a case in point.

It's not the moral police dictating this stuff - it's the almighty dollar.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:...The media is driving a non-existant narrative

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
saynta wrote:

Well said.

But that's purely commercial.

If it was cool to be racist, or to be an asshole - then businesses wouldn't have an issue with people expressing certain views publicly.

Alan Jones and 2GB are a case in point.
I wasn't talking about racist comments, I was talking about people expressing a view on say Anzac Day or expressing a view on the Iraq War or expressing a view on other social issues, without being abusive or threatening.

"Then businesses wouldn't have an issue" you say. Its none of the businesses business what their employees do in their own time. How dare they think they have a say. The employment contract doesn't make a business the thought police. s***, we're on a slippery slope to an Orwellian Society when that happens.

I disagree violently with most of Alan Jones' views and consider many of his views repellent. However, I'd fight for his right to express them.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

+1

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

+ 2 to whatever.

Just sharing the love.

Some of you guys need to come to my workplace.

Another day in paradise.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:+ 2 to whatever.

Just sharing the love.

Some of you guys need to come to my workplace.

Another day in paradise.

Yeah, my old workplace didn't specialize in being nice to people, in fact the opposite, but being nice wasn't in it's charter.

Being polite was though.

Fidelis
Club Player

What Caro and just about every other analyst, commentator and former player who have teed off on this topic have failed to acknowledge is that Saturday wasn't the first time this sledging has happened. When it broke on the footy show, Purple introduced it by saying "not for the first time..." and Tony Jones spoke of Murphy being the "victim of a sledging campaign in footy" at the moment. I know through other sources that this sledge is not new and that what happened this week was that Murphy broke under the cumulative weight of something that's been going on for a while. It's a detail of the story that hasn't suited those who want to promote the narrative that St Kilda have yet again crossed a line of common decency. But it probably does explain why the AFL haven't wanted to make scapegoats of any particular players or club - and neither has Murphy.

Faithful Even Unto Death
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps the best thing that could happen in this saga, is for the players from BOTH sides who were involved in the sledging, to get together under the auspices of the AFL and find resolution, in private, with respect for each other, sort it out and resolve it like adults, then move on! ( or am I naive? )

barneyboyz
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:
meher baba wrote:.......and I also agree with the view that nasty personal sledging is not on......

Why isn't it on though?

Is it because it sets a bad example to kids?

Is it because she doesn't like people being mean to other people?

Is it because she's standing up for the little guy and giving the Marc Murphy's of the world a voice?

I don't really understand why 'we' are so worked up about two people saying mean things to each other in what is effectively a private conversation.

If we hear what they say, then we have a right to be aggrieved by it. As members of society, it's really none of our business - but as consumers of a product, we have a right to get upset about something we deem to be offensive.

But we don't, and in this case in particular, didn't hear what they said to each other.

Now if her issue is sexism and/or misogyny in the AFL, or in sport, or even in society - then I don't really have an issue with her taking up this issue. But I think she (and some other media flogs that are trying to paint themselves as moral crusaders when it suits them) are using this example in the wrong context.

This wasn't a whole team picking on one guy and constantly saying 'repulsive' things to him about his family for the entire game, as was suggested. If it was, then yes, there's cause for concern and further action. But it wasn't.

We know that it was "one player, possibly one or two others" that did it, and that it was an isolated sledge. It wasn't repetitive and wasn't for the entire match.

And on top of that, we don't even actually know what was said.

So I think to use this particular incident as the 'line in the sand moment' for sledging, is off the mark. And as usual, it dilutes what is actually a very legitimate cause.
+2 I can't agree more with this

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Perhaps the best thing that could happen in this saga, is for the players from BOTH sides who were involved in the sledging, to get together under the auspices of the AFL and find resolution, in private, with respect for each other, sort it out and resolve it like adults, then move on! ( or am I naive? )

Good idea actually but the sook might have to acknowledge sledging/spitting on Carlisle.

That's an issue he has clearly been avoiding.

To the top
SS Life Member

Trigg played for Central Districts in the SANFL

So enough said!

He is reviled in SA as the architect of the introduction of the AFL Clubs to the SANFL - and where his representations have proven to be the mis-representations they were always recognised as by supporters of the SANFL competition.

Joined Hinch as someone given their marching orders from the State.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

[quote="saynta"][quote="thejiggingsaint"]Perhaps the best thing that could happen in this saga, is for the players from BOTH sides who were involved in the sledging, to get together under the auspices of the AFL and find resolution, in private, with respect for each other, sort it out and resolve it like adults, then move on! ( or am I naive? )[/quote]

Good idea actually but the sook might have to acknowledge sledging/spitting on Carlisle.

That's an issue he has clearly been avoiding.[/quote]

Precisely! Clear the decks, get it all out there, and sort it!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
saynta wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Perhaps the best thing that could happen in this saga, is for the players from BOTH sides who were involved in the sledging, to get together under the auspices of the AFL and find resolution, in private, with respect for each other, sort it out and resolve it like adults, then move on! ( or am I naive? )

That's an issue he has clearly been avoiding.
Precisely! Clear the decks, get it all out there, and sort it!

yep.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

I don't buy the Age, and I don't read Caroline Wilson.

I'm not fond of Wayne Carey, so I don't watch the TV show he's on.

And I don't care for the Footy Show, so I don't watch it.

If there are enough people like me, the Age will eventually go broke, Wayne Carey will bet sacked, and the Footy Show will be canned.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I don't think any one will bother reading a newspaper when a journalist writes: "A St Kilda player sledged a Carlton player who became agitated, but St Kilda went on the win the game". The journalist will probably be sacked -or sledged by the editor.

They need to write something catchy like" A St Kilda player with a controversial background, and who did himself no favour with his past social medial posts relating to drugs, has uttered vile words to a champion and respected Carlton player regarding to his wife. This is the most terrible thing that has ever happened in the AFL this week. The St Kilda club has reached new lows and its CEO has not said enough publicly to condemn this outrageous act. The AFL has failed to act and has brought itself undone. Even the remarkable historian and model sportsman Peter Fitzbadly and his bandana have agreed that St Kilda will not win a premiership due to their low moral standards compared to rugby teams"

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Well summed up spert ( with perfect portions of irony! Kudos!)