Caroline Wilson's Mental Health

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Caroline Wilson's Mental Health

Seriously, another article about sledging... she is veering into OCD/stalker territory.
She needs help and The Age need to put the handbrake on.

Nee!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Caroline Wilson's Mental Health

fugazi wrote:Seriously, another article about sledging... she is veering into OCD/stalker territory.
Won't say too much about it, as I stick by my earlier points, plus, just over it all!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
twirlyhair
Club Player

fugazi wrote:Seriously, another article about sledging... she is veering into OCD/stalker territory.
Can we please just stick to football? You know that this thread will just very quickly become a place for abuse that will achieve absolutely nothing.

stonecold
SS Life Member

twirlyhair wrote:
Can we please just stick to football? You know that this thread will just very quickly become a place for abuse that will achieve absolutely nothing.

As previously stated, No Comment!!!!!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Her editors need to pull her into line
and make her write about something relevant and current,
not something that all stakeholders have addressed

- AFL happy
_AFLPA happy
- Creampuff Murphy wants to move on and leave it alone
- Saints leaders, CEO, etc are moving on

The media is driving a non-existant narrative

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

If you don't like what she writes, she's either sick or ugly.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
stonecold
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:If you don't like what she writes, she's either sick or ugly.
No Comment!!!!!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I generally quite enjoy Caroline's articles, and I also agree with the view that nasty personal sledging is not on: although I note that it's clearly been a major tactic of the Australian cricket team for nigh on 50 years now.

But this endless outrage on the part of her and other media people, about an incident about which they are not prepared to provide us any details, is utterly ridiculous IMO.

On-field sledging of sportsmen about their WAGs, mothers, etc. has long been a part of sport: I understand that the Australian cricket team has made it into an art form. It is alleged that Carlisle - possibly under provocation - has said something to Murphy about his wife being romantically involvement with another person. Obviously it was hurtful to Murphy but - notwithstanding Caroline's continuing carry on about it - I'm yet to be convinced that it was sexist: how can I or any other reader of Caroline's column possibly agree with her when we don't know what was actually said.

This is the biggest beatup I have seen for a long time. Good on McLachlan for refusing to bend to this ridiculous media campaign. The eminent and upstanding company director who preceded him would by now have stripped us of the competition points and awarded them to Carlton.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

mainstream media has seen the writing on the wall years ago,
with social media providing instant news, by a huge variety of people blogging and commenting,
rendering the usual reporters redundant.

Fairfax intends to get rid of over 100 reporters or something, and all journos are worried about job security and future employment prospects
as they realise they are dinosaurs, and social media is the asteroid strike that has hit, and will decimate their numbers.

This person has bills to pay, as we all do.

She's just screaming and gesticulating to keep her employers happy.
Last edited by WellardSaint on Fri 19 May 2017 12:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I can only hope and pray that Caro is included in the 100 reporters to be given the shove.

The world would be a happier place.
Last edited by saynta on Fri 19 May 2017 2:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It's selective and reductionist reporting but that's what most media is.

"Sentence first, verdict afterwards".

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

meher baba; I have found sledging to be a curious feature of sport. I'm not a fan of it personally, and like Richo said, I much prefer that our players let their footy do their talking for them. However, I'm not naive enough to believe that in a sporting contest, some players will not use sledging to gain an edge on an opponent. I was amused by the "outrage and disappointment" expressed by the Australian Cricket team on the recent tour of the Indian sub continent, to the " aggressive and personal" abuse directed toward Australian cricketers by their Indian opponents. You see, I believe IF you are going to embark on that particular path (sledging) then you have to be prepared for that tactic to come back at you at some stage. You're spot-on about this being a beat-up. Caroline Wilson, Peter " Cap'n Pugwash" Fitzsimmons and their ilk should really take a good long look at themselves, and see how their campaign of vitriol against a whole club is doing NOTHING to alleviate any " distress " felt by Mr & Mrs Murphy.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:meher baba; I have found sledging to be a curious feature of sport. I'm not a fan of it personally, and like Richo said, I much prefer that our players let their footy do their talking for them. <edited for brevity> Caroline Wilson, Peter " Cap'n Pugwash" Fitzsimmons and their ilk should really take a good long look at themselves, and see how their campaign of vitriol against a whole club is doing NOTHING to alleviate any " distress " felt by Mr & Mrs Murphy.

wholeheartedly agree, Jiggster.
These morons are sledging themselves, with their unfounded allegations and abuse.
Imagine if Richo said to Caro, "Are you worried about losing your job in the coming cull of Fairfax media? Is that why you're making so much noise?"

Then he will be accused of a personal attack.
If she can dish it out, she should be able to take it.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

She a disturbed brat who is having a tantrum until she gets her way.

Hey Caro, I f**ked your husband.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:IGood on McLachlan for refusing to bend to this ridiculous media campaign. The eminent and upstanding company director who preceded him would by now have stripped us of the competition points and awarded them to Carlton.
Yes, there's hope for Gilligan yet.

Commonsense from an AFL CEO, that's not something you see every day.

And you are correct about Dimwit. He would have sought guidance from Barry Hall's mum on his one.
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 19 May 2017 12:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:
We will if she will, is that how it goes?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:
We will if she will, is that how it goes?
Football's not her go. She's more social outrage.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I generally quite enjoy Caroline's articles, and I also agree with the view that nasty personal sledging is not on: although I note that it's clearly been a major tactic of the Australian cricket team for nigh on 50 years now.

But this endless outrage on the part of her and other media people, about an incident about which they are not prepared to provide us any details, is utterly ridiculous IMO.

On-field sledging of sportsmen about their WAGs, mothers, etc. has long been a part of sport: I understand that the Australian cricket team has made it into an art form. It is alleged that Carlisle - possibly under provocation - has said something to Murphy about his wife being romantically involvement with another person. Obviously it was hurtful to Murphy but - notwithstanding Caroline's continuing carry on about it - I'm yet to be convinced that it was sexist: how can I or any other reader of Caroline's column possibly agree with her when we don't know what was actually said.

This is the biggest beatup I have seen for a long time. Good on McLachlan for refusing to bend to this ridiculous media campaign. The eminent and upstanding company director who preceded him would by now have stripped us of the competition points and awarded them to Carlton.
She's full of words and pandering to the inner city slackavist "leftist" readership who aren't really left at all or not of the 1968 variety.

She could really use her privileged position to make a real difference but instead she, like most media is opportunistic.

Missed opportunity Caroline.

Achieves zilch!!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:.......and I also agree with the view that nasty personal sledging is not on......

Why isn't it on though?

Is it because it sets a bad example to kids?

Is it because she doesn't like people being mean to other people?

Is it because she's standing up for the little guy and giving the Marc Murphy's of the world a voice?

I don't really understand why 'we' are so worked up about two people saying mean things to each other in what is effectively a private conversation.

If we hear what they say, then we have a right to be aggrieved by it. As members of society, it's really none of our business - but as consumers of a product, we have a right to get upset about something we deem to be offensive.

But we don't, and in this case in particular, didn't hear what they said to each other.

Now if her issue is sexism and/or misogyny in the AFL, or in sport, or even in society - then I don't really have an issue with her taking up this issue. But I think she (and some other media flogs that are trying to paint themselves as moral crusaders when it suits them) are using this example in the wrong context.

This wasn't a whole team picking on one guy and constantly saying 'repulsive' things to him about his family for the entire game, as was suggested. If it was, then yes, there's cause for concern and further action. But it wasn't.

We know that it was "one player, possibly one or two others" that did it, and that it was an isolated sledge. It wasn't repetitive and wasn't for the entire match.

And on top of that, we don't even actually know what was said.

So I think to use this particular incident as the 'line in the sand moment' for sledging, is off the mark. And as usual, it dilutes what is actually a very legitimate cause.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

+1

saynta
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:meher baba; I have found sledging to be a curious feature of sport. I'm not a fan of it personally, and like Richo said, I much prefer that our players let their footy do their talking for them. However, I'm not naive enough to believe that in a sporting contest, some players will not use sledging to gain an edge on an opponent. I was amused by the "outrage and disappointment" expressed by the Australian Cricket team on the recent tour of the Indian sub continent, to the " aggressive and personal" abuse directed toward Australian cricketers by their Indian opponents. You see, I believe IF you are going to embark on that particular path (sledging) then you have to be prepared for that tactic to come back at you at some stage. You're spot-on about this being a beat-up. Caroline Wilson, Peter " Cap'n Pugwash" Fitzsimmons and their ilk should really take a good long look at themselves, and see how their campaign of vitriol against a whole club is doing NOTHING to alleviate any " distress " felt by Mr & Mrs Murphy.

Well said.

My dear old saintly mum always taught me that " sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me,"

But mum was born in another century, another time well before Trigg, her ilk, political correctness and Sec 18C.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Well said.

My dear old saintly mum always taught me that " sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me,"

But mum was born in another century, another time well before Trigg, her ilk, political correctness and Sec 18C.
There's nothing wrong with being nice to people, and not being an asshole.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hear Hear!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
saynta wrote:

Well said.

There's nothing wrong with being nice to people, and not being an asshole.
What, on a football field? Give me a f****** break.

Anyway, there are far more arseholes around these days, including on this forum.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hmmmmmmmm?