What was said to Murphy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: What was said to Murphy?

SaintPav wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I listened to KB and that simpleton Jon Ralph this morning bang on about how outrageous this is all for about 30 minutes straight.

Utter outrage at St Kilda. Utter outrage at the AFL.

How dare Richardson and Geary and St Kilda 'half apologise'??! 'Maybe' overstepped the mark??!! 'Possibly' got it wrong!! Such outrage!

But then minutes later, Bartlett declares "the AFL at least should have had an investigation to find out what was said!".

No s***. He actually said that.

He doesn't even know what was said. Neither does Ralph.

Yet they bang on for 30 minutes about how outrageous it is to half apologise for it. We don't know what they said god damn it! But we sure as hell know that St Kilda should apologise for it an be punished by the AFL!!!

The mind boggles sometimes.
Oh, come on, JM, you know "outrage" (and bugger all else) sells.

And, of course, the problem of "bugger all else" is exacerbated by the pre-eminent status afforded simpletons like Ralph.

"Bread and circuses", Johnny.

I'm just surprised someone hasn't popped up with "The Russians did it, and anonymous sources have concluded Jake Carlisle works for Putin".
+1

Friggin parlor and mindhive games played by the borg media.

My perception management is bigger than yours.

We live in a sick society.
+2

ace
Saintsational Legend

I just learned the Russians did it, and anonymous sources have concluded Jake Carlisle works for Putin.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
shrodes
SS Life Member

ace wrote:I just learned the Russians did it, and anonymous sources have concluded Jake Carlisle works for Putin.
FAKE NEWS

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Complete dick?
Captain Feathersword?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Nick Kyrgios sledges Stan Wawrinka by claiming Thanasi Kokkinakis 'banged your girlfriend'. Did Wilson get on her Sexist Attack over this one? Well I hope so for consistency sake. But wait - Kyrgios isn't a St Kilda player. (but he did visit us in the pre-season - jeez it's rubbed off on some of the players!)

The media will go to town on Saints and be completely bias and in no way will they say anything derogatory about Murphy. You know why? Because he was a good little snitcho who brought this gift to them in good faith on a plate. What a present they got from Murphy who if he had any integrity at all would have addressed the matter on field and/or off field directly with those involved, or gone to AFL and lodged a formal complaint (all the while keeping it confidential protecting his wife's cred). But no he was too busy trying to save his own reputation.

The media even have the gall to say he had a great match. 12 possessions in the second half with bugger all contested possessions and bugger all clearances. He was outside and he was quiet.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

This story must nearly be over. When the rugby commentariat start taking the moral highground there's nothing left in the bottom of the barrel.

Particularly if they have an historical liking for writing pro-sledging articles ...

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/ ... 04474.html

I mean, it's all very well to say "be funnier". Where's the line again, Fitz?

Always loyal
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
Roos has a soft spot for the Dees, and the comparisons between Melbourne's and our upward trajectories hurt him badly.
A bit more than a 'soft spot'.
Given they paid him $4 million to 'coach' them to 21 wins from 66 games. A winning % of just 32%.
I'd say he absolutely ADORES them for that kind of generosity!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Tigers fans in the media were hurt and humiliated after Sunday's embarrassment and looking for someone else to spew their bile on to deflect from their self hatred.
Enter the Saints. Everyone's favourite fall guy.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 17 May 2017 9:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

satchmo wrote:
Captain Feathersword?
Indeed. What a wanker!

santazzi
Club Player

Up to now I have elected not to comment on this topic. I found the whole thing amusing. No one really "knows" what was said. And yet commentators, in the same breath, admit that they do not know what was said, but proceed to emphatically state how terrible it was (what ever it was) and pass crazy judgment on the club. Stupid really. If you do not state the crime do not pass a judgement.

But when Peter FitzSimon joins the fray conferring harsh judgment without clearly stating the crime, I get worried. Who has a contract out on our beloved club??

TOT, Rushie and co over to you! This calls for serious investigative action to find and line up the ducks (pun not intended).

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

SemperFidelis wrote:
This story must nearly be over. When the rugby commentariat start taking the moral highground there's nothing left in the bottom of the barrel.

Particularly if they have an historical liking for writing pro-sledging articles ...

Great find.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
Roos has a soft spot for the Dees, and the comparisons between Melbourne's and our upward trajectories hurt him badly.
A bit more than a 'soft spot'.
Given they paid him $4 million to 'coach' them to 21 wins from 66 games. A winning % of just 32%.
I'd say he absolutely ADORES them for that kind of generosity!

The most half-hearted coach in AFL history.

Lifted his talent-rich team from 17th all the way to 10th in three seasons. And never beat the Saints.

Routinely called a genius, though. One wonders what that makes Luke Beveridge.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Called Murphy "Peter, Peter"?

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:I just learned the Russians did it, and anonymous sources have concluded Jake Carlisle works for Putin.
Given the statement from the Kremlin yesdee, ace, with Vladimir Vladimirovich offering to provide the transcript of the Sergei Viktorovich's meeting with DJT in the Oval Office, just to clear up any doubts about what was said, I'll get on to the Kremlin and have them release a similar statement to refute any claims they were behind last Satdee's fun, or that Big Jake is on the FSB payroll.

I also see promise in V.V.P. issuing a statement on 'Jake-gate', using an adaptation of his mention of the Yanqui political class (i.e. incl the oxymoronic 'heavyweight' media) "developing political schizophrenia" over the whole evidence free "Russia-gate" fiasco.

I also see some scope in further adaptation for application to Jake-gate:

"You know what surprises me? They are destabilizing the internal political situation in the United States under anti-Russian slogans," Putin said, according to Tass. “They either do not understand that they are harming their own country, which means they are just shortsighted, or they understand everything, and that means that they are dangerous and unscrupulous people."

A sub here, a sub there, and BING-BADA-BOOM, you have the AFL "bread" and their attendant media "circuses".

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Nick Kyrgios sledges Stan Wawrinka by claiming Thanasi Kokkinakis 'banged your girlfriend'. Did Wilson get on her Sexist Attack over this one? Well I hope so for consistency sake. But wait - Kyrgios isn't a St Kilda player. (but he did visit us in the pre-season - jeez it's rubbed off on some of the players!)

The media will go to town on Saints and be completely bias and in no way will they say anything derogatory about Murphy. You know why? Because he was a good little snitcho who brought this gift to them in good faith on a plate. What a present they got from Murphy who if he had any integrity at all would have addressed the matter on field and/or off field directly with those involved, or gone to AFL and lodged a formal complaint (all the while keeping it confidential protecting his wife's cred). But no he was too busy trying to save his own reputation.

The media even have the gall to say he had a great match. 12 possessions in the second half with bugger all contested possessions and bugger all clearances. He was outside and he was quiet.
Excellent recollection, m'saint. I took a look at the guggle machine, and could find no outrage from Ms Wilson on the Kyrgios matter.

But, I did find Fitzsimons going to town, not once, but twice. The first was delivered to the twittersphere, the 2nd took more than 140 characters, and was in the SMH.

And, the reason for the 'Petepeat'? Virginia Trioli took to the twittersphere to point something out, after his 1st crack:

"@Peter_Fitz But why is it 'the worst thing you can say' to imply that a woman has been with someone else, and not yours alone?"

So, Pete thought it best to clarify;

"When I expressed on Twitter my outrage at Nick Kyrgios for his absolutely disgraceful sledge of Stan Wawrinka, putting into the public domain smutty allegation about the otherwise entirely private sex life of a 19-year-old woman on the ATP tour."

The difference b/w that and the Murphy matter? Simple: "putting into the public domain".

Kyrgios was on a tennis court, and what he threw at Wawrinka was audible to the attending and viewing public.

Murphy took his wife's "otherwise entirely private sex life" - from BEFORE she was 'his' - into the public domain.

I refer to my remarks of recent days - the point(s) the entire commentariat class can either not grasp ("Intellectual voids"), or choose to ignore, because of a CLASS DISTINCTION (among the clubs) that they endlessly reinforce.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/nick ... iz7kc.html

P.S. I didn't bother with Fitzsimons' outrage on the Murphy matter.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:

I was just completing a note to the cohort last eve, Semp, when I saw the Fitzsimons' outrage hit The Age. As noted in the P.S. earlier, me no readie - I have my own "line", as noted to the cohort:

"Oh F.F.S. Now “Brain Damage” Fitzsimmons has stuck his oar in - can’t break the ‘no fuckwits rule!!!’. Jesus wept, when will these mudderfuggers twig to people with the odd functioning synapse not giving 2 flying f**** about their opinions? (“Brain Damage”? What other possible reason could there be for the ridiculous headband? Unless he’s a f****** pirate, or fancies himself as Oz’s Johnny Depp, maybe?!)"

Apol's to the mods for the general fruitiness of the language but, as the cohort knows, I'm just an -

To the top
SS Life Member

Remember that these individuals are employed in media - an industry under extreme pressure not only ethically but also financially

So those in the employ of media are under pressure as revenue collapses and "head counts" (to take the line the banks are using for yet another round of retrenchments) reduce - and this head count reduction is across all formats of media

This is indicative of the financial plight of media Companies which is well documented

To retain employment - and life style which includes leverage so they can associate to retain a profile it is that profile that they require to maintain that mitigates against their termination and the collapse of their highly leveraged life style

It is all image and exposure

Once exposure terminates they are history as is their life style

Hence anything to get their name and attaching photo (why a photo of them attaching to their article? Self promotion) published

So they jump all over whatever with their confected outrage and attack

They promote the likes of Trump because they see a source of subject matter

And fools believe and subscribe to media and the attacks of media - particularly Murdoch

With this scenario the media loses credibility

And they attack others because of that lack of credibility

Except if advertising revenue is involved!

So, again compromised on the alter of self interest

The media will always have the last word - if anyone but they are listening by then

So they are self satisfied - but in actual fact they have degenerated to irrelevant

So back to Police Media or their providers of advertising revenue for their next headline - and photo opportunity

And keeping their employment - and their ability to service their life style debts

When the balloon goes up and you tip them upside down precious little falls out

They are all wank and bluster

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Remember that these individuals are employed in media - an industry under extreme pressure not only ethically but also financially

So those in the employ of media are under pressure as revenue collapses and "head counts" (to take the line the banks are using for yet another round of retrenchments) reduce - and this head count reduction is across all formats of media

This is indicative of the financial plight of media Companies which is well documented

To retain employment - and life style which includes leverage so they can associate to retain a profile it is that profile that they require to maintain that mitigates against their termination and the collapse of their highly leveraged life style

Hence anything to get their name and attaching photo (why a photo of them attaching to their article? Self promotion) published

And fools believe and subscribe to media and the attacks of media - particularly Murdoch

The media will always have the last word - if anyone but they are listening by then

So they are self satisfied - but in actual fact they have degenerated to irrelevant

So back to Police Media or their providers of advertising revenue for their next headline - and photo opportunity

And keeping their employment - and their ability to service their life style debts

Don't forget, TTT, every carve out of journalists results in a burgeoning of PR Dept numbers, somewhere (usually through relationships fostered when practicing journalism).

One of the biggest PR Depts in the land?

Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Odd how they employ so many, and they ain't alone, to prevent 'communication' about what it is they do, and how they do it.

One of the best examples, in the sporting world, is Mike Tancred. From Ch 10 hack, to John Coates' "most trusted soldier". On a very nice stipend he is, too.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

To the top wrote:Remember that these individuals are employed in media - an industry under extreme pressure not only ethically but also financially

So true, absolutely brilliant.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I listened to KB and that simpleton Jon Ralph this morning bang on about how outrageous this is all for about 30 minutes straight.

Utter outrage at St Kilda. Utter outrage at the AFL.

How dare Richardson and Geary and St Kilda 'half apologise'??! 'Maybe' overstepped the mark??!! 'Possibly' got it wrong!! Such outrage!

But then minutes later, Bartlett declares "the AFL at least should have had an investigation to find out what was said!".

No s***. He actually said that.

He doesn't even know what was said. Neither does Ralph.

Yet they bang on for 30 minutes about how outrageous it is to half apologise for it. We don't know what they said god damn it! But we sure as hell know that St Kilda should apologise for it an be punished by the AFL!!!

The mind boggles sometimes.
I think it is referred to as "society of the spectacle"
A little more on same, Pav, copied from a note just sent to the cohort:

"The attribution: I pinched the “history is forgotten etc” in the 2nd last paragraph from Guy Debord’s thesis on the “Society of the Spectacle”.

And, just because I read it last night, leading into a chapter of Douglas Valentine’s “The CIA as Organised Crime”, a little more from Debord on the ‘spectacle’…..just because it fits this brouhaha to a T:

“All experts serve the state and the media and only in that way do they achieve their status. Every expert follows his master, for all former possibilities for independence have gradually reduced to nil by present society’s mode of organisation. The most useful expert, of course, is the one who can lie. With their different motives, those who need experts are falsifiers and fools. Whenever individuals lose their capacity to see things for themselves, the expert is there to offer an absolute reassurance”.

Didn’t miss much, did he?

He published that work exactly 50 years ago.

A damn fine crystal ball, too."

saynta
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Nick Kyrgios sledges Stan Wawrinka by claiming Thanasi Kokkinakis 'banged your girlfriend'. Did Wilson get on her Sexist Attack over this one? Well I hope so for consistency sake. But wait - Kyrgios isn't a St Kilda player. (but he did visit us in the pre-season - jeez it's rubbed off on some of the players!)

Whilst posters are saying that sookie lala Murphy threw his missus under a bus, to me he pushed her off the station into the path of a speeding bullet train.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Whilst posters are saying that sookie lala Murphy threw his missus under a bus, to me he pushed her off the station into the path of a speeding bullet train.[/quote]

In that case then, more Cosmetic Surgery for him to fund!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

If the issue of onfield sledging ( of whatever nature ) has suddenly become such a big deal for the sporting media, then I say, bring out ALL the dirty linen! Bring out ALL the nudge-nudge, wink-wink stuff and get it into the daylight! If these people pontificating now (after being in the game themselves, and probably sledgers to boot) are so concerned then let's put an end to ALL sledging. Why? Because sledging ( like aggression and tribalism ) once out of the genies bottle is very hard to put back. My view is the same as Richo; we should let our footy do the talking, however, I'm not naive enough to believe that 22 blokes out on a field in combat are to a man, going to make " considered " remarks to an opponent in the heat of battle. Stuff was said by some of our players that clearly were unacceptable. The Carlton players were no shrinking violets either. Both sides need to get together, admit errors occurred and resolve this like adults. The media should allow this process to go on without all the hysteria from folk like cap'n pugwash.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Will it never end.'
But good on the pres. Robbo you suck.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/e ... 284e67e40b

"
Mark Robinson
St Kilda president Peter Summers stands by club’s response to Marc Murphy sledging furore
MARK ROBINSON, Herald Sun
May 19, 2017 8:00pm
Subscriber only

ST KILDA president Peter Summers knew something had happened.

He was watching the game with the Billings family and near the end of the match he invited them to join him in the rooms to sing the song. They politely declined because they wanted to watch their son Jack being interviewed on the ground.

At the siren, as Summers started to head to the rooms, he saw Leigh Montagna and Marc Murphy meet and then watched Murphy avoid the Saints and walk towards the Carlton race.

In the rooms, Summers found chief executive Matt Finnis and list manager Ameet Bains.

“I was feeling something a little bit uncomfortable here,” he told the Herald Sun.

“Do you know what happened,’’ Summers asked the pair. They didn’t know.

All would soon find out and thus began the complex process of finding out what Murphy said to Jake Carlisle and what Carlisle — and at the most two others — said to Murphy and how best to deal with it.

The Murphy-Carlisle exchange included a comment about cocaine use and a comment about Murphy’s wife.

At its end, after St Kilda admitted its failings, the football club was criticised for its lack of a sincere apology, which was led by coach Alan Richardson, and the lack of substance in response from the AFL.

“Absolutely we did apologise,” Summers said.
Carlton’s Levi Casboult holds back an angry Marc Murphy as teamte Ed Curnow scuffles with Luke Dunstan. Picture: Michael Klein

Summers is the quiet president. Promoted from board member to the presidency in August, 2013, Summers — to borrow a Rossy Lyon-ism — lets the cobblers cobble. In other words, he allows the executive, led by Finnis, to do their job and rarely speaks publicly on club matters.

This week was different.

A challenging period for the club — the first on culture-related behaviour since probably a dwarf’s clothes were set on fire at a South Melbourne pub in September 2013 — saw his club also accused of being disrespectful to a woman (Murphy’s wife) and to women overall.

Premiership coach Paul Roos was the first and strongest critic.

“We all know what the line is. If it gets too personal it reflects poorly on the St Kilda football club and as an extension everyone at that football club,’’ Roos told Triple M.

“I would think Alan Richardson would be disappointed as well. I would think they would address it. It reflects poorly on the St Kilda Football Club.”

Summers disagreed.

“Firstly, I respect Paul, when anyone of standing in the game makes a comment you don’t dismiss it quickly, you listen and evaluate,” he said.

“But with these things, we think it’s easier to make some of those decisions from the inside with fuller information and I certainly think that was an incorrect assessment from Paul.

“We have worked really hard over recent years to be very much values-driven and all credit to Matt and the playing group we’ve got that done.”
Marc Murphy gives Jake Carlisle after the Saint was felled by an accidental Levi Casboult hit to the groin. Picture: AAP

The explosive Carlilse-Murphy story was leaked Sunday and was ablaze on Monday before St Kilda captain Jarryn Geary and Richardson contacted Murphy.

Richardson went public on AFL360 on Monday night, which was his first public offering, a fact which was also drove criticism.

Summers was unequivocal that his club’s response was sincere.

“That really does come down to an opinion, no matter which way you go, there’s going to be varying opinions on that,” he said.

“There’s two things you want in this and the first is you want to assess your own behaviour and I think we did that. It wasn’t judged against other things that may or may not have happened, it was a judgment of behaviour.

“And the second thing was, if you think you have done something wrong, you reach out to the person and you reconcile that and I think two things were absolutely done ... and done promptly.

“Jarryn showed extraordinarily good leadership, I’m really proud about how he went about that.

“Anything else ... it’s an opinion business, isn’t it.”

And opinions have varied.

It was a cheap comment from Murphy and an utterly classless response from Carlisle and both were an attempt to emotionally hurt the other which is, after all, what sledging is.

Clearly, no longer is the saying sticks and stones applicable — in any area of society.

Mental health, bullying and respect for women are major society issues and last Saturday’s incident covered all those bases.

What’s certain is Summers and/or the Saints best sit down and talk to Carlisle.

After a big two days where the Saints copped it from all quarters, on Monday night Carlisle still had not cottoned on to the seriousness of the situation.

Perhaps the Saints should’ve put up Carlisle to make the apology.

But, no, instead Carlisle got on social media — something he should avoid — and liked a tweet which called Murphy a whinger.

He has to tread warily, Carlisle. He’s at his second club and just eight games into his new career, and he has already brought wide condemnation on the club.
St Kilda president Peter Summers.

That tweet he liked, which came after conciliation between his club and Murphy, would have to be the second dumbest act a player has committed on social media.

Unfortunately for Jake, he holds first place as well and there’s no doubt he would’ve felt the wrath of Finnis and probably Richardson too.

As for the AFL, they also took a hammering.

They contacted both clubs on Sunday and Monday and both clubs, and Murphy in particular, didn’t want to take action.

The AFL’s vilification code follows the course of complaint and mediation, but this situation didn’t get the balling rolling. No complaint equals no mediation.

Privately, the AFL asked itself what more could it have done. It had serious discussions with women on its executive, but ultimately took no action.

This was an argument between two footballers and one of them dragged a women into his insult and that was unacceptable.

Summers won’t disagree with anybody on that stance.

“We’re not absolutely proud of what happened and the criticism is there and we put our hand up,’’ he said.

“But I’m very proud of all of our club and while actions were not correct on the day, I was very proud of the way everyone took ownership of it.”

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Good.

Always loyal