Changes v Swines

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Swines

I haven't seen enough of the Swans this year to be sure about who we need where on the ground for matchups.

I can't imagine there being too many changes. Stevens for Webster is obvious. Like the rest of you, I have seen very little of Stevens, but it is possible that he can play in the backline.

If not, then Minchington could be dropped and Gresham used continually as a small forward (which is where I think he goes best anyway). And then either McKenzie or Savage could fill Webster's role. It's a toss up for mine: McKenzie would perhaps bring a bit more pace and flair, while Savage is match-hardened and (mostly) a good kick. I reckon given that the Swans are a very tough side, the club might go with Savage.

McCartin's return to the top grade is pending, but - unless Riewoldt is truly unable to play (and I don't believe that's the case) - I'd be inclined to leave McCartin at Sandringham for one more week. and - unless Bruce has a cracker against the Swans - bring him in for Bruce against the Dogs.

I can't see how Dunstan can be dropped. The Swans are the sort of team we need to get on top of in the middle.

So, for mine, it's most likely OUT: Webster, Minchington; IN: Stevens, Savage.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Not a lot of love for Paddy.

What was it last week? Fourteen marks and nine shots at goal, admittedly at a lesser level.

Guess there's nothing wrong with making a kid earn a spot through weight of goals.

If he keeps it up we're going to have to find a spot for him, though, probably full forward.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:Not a lot of love for Paddy.

What was it last week? Fourteen marks and nine shots at goal, admittedly at a lesser level.

Guess there's nothing wrong with making a kid earn a spot through weight of goals.

If he keeps it up we're going to have to find a spot for him, though, probably full forward.
Like!

Always loyal
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saintbob wrote:Out: Webster

In: Stevens

Stevens played a lot off HB with the Bulldogs or we push Newnes back and Koby goes through the middle.
Like!

Stevens gets into the contested ball like a hungry fox terrier.
He will give those Swans forwards many a headache
and make Longmire pull his hair out :shock: :roll:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I really can't see the point of getting carried away about McCartin. He only kicked four goals on Sunday and two the week before. Six goals in two games isn't a particularly noteworthy haul even at AFL level.

I agree that he should get another game in the AFL team soon, and believe he will do so in the next month. But we've won 5 out of the last 6 games. It's never easy for a fringe player to crack into a team when they are on a winning streak.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

[quote="saintspremiers"][quote="dals_da_bomb"]Im old school SP

My kids arnt allowed to use ipads and alike.
This may be why i dont take them anywhere - because they are a nightmare![/quote]

That will change. You can't and shouldn't avoid iPads/smart phones etc - they are a necessary evil. My kids have to do some of their homework on iPads - makes it tricky at bedtime!

As for your kids being a nightmare- that's just the programming they all have. If they were all well behaved and not half their life feral imagine how overpopulated the world would be?![/quote]

I absolutely agree. I dont want to hold them back - I imagine school will force my hand - I better get used to it.
The kinder one has a small amount of access to the ipad at kinder but never at home.
the 3yr will need to bide her time.

one day they will be old enough to navigate themselves to here.. I will not know there user name.
This is a very scary thought!

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

I really can't see the point of getting carried away about McCartin. He only kicked four goals on Sunday and two the week before. Six goals in two games isn't a particularly noteworthy haul even at AFL level.

I agree that he should get another game in the AFL team soon, and believe he will do so in the next month. But we've won 5 out of the last 6 games. It's never easy for a fringe player to crack into a team when they are on a winning streak.
And seven the week before that, which you neglected to mention.

I understand the logistical problems of getting him in.

There's no problems with he, Bruce and Membrey in the same forward line. We've done that before successfully because Membrey is not strictly a key forward.

But for it to work, Rooey has to play wing or on the ball and I'm not sure he can in his current shape. So in the meantime a No. 1 draft gets to hone his craft in the VFL.

Not ideal, but it may pay off long term.

To the top
SS Life Member

Interesting that in our narrow preseason loss to Sydney our 3 most highly rated players were Hickey, Armitage and Steele

Hickey and Armitage will be sadly missed

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Herald Sun reporting McCartin will play....

Don't like how this has played out in the media, puts unnecessary pressure on his performance....

Having said that, I hope he comes in and kicks a bag in a winning side!

stonecold
SS Life Member

Paddy to play with Bruce to make way by the sounds of it!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Herald Sun reporting McCartin will play....
Mitch Cleary and others saying McCartin IN for Bruce OUT

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Winmar
Club Player

I wouldn't mind that move at all. Bruce needs to find a bit of form somewhere, and it's easier at Sandy than against Sydney.

Koby is a definite in, and although they're different types of players I'd not be surprised to see Minch get dropped again.

Then Savage or DMac in for Jimmy W.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

In terms of team building over the season we need to keep rotating some players in and out of the team.

We have already played about 30 players I think. Which is excellent.

Need to give others some games by the time time season finishes and hopefully one of Rice or DMak this week.

IN: Paddy Stevens Rice/DMak
OUT; Bruce Webster Meatball

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

dals_da_bomb wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
dals_da_bomb wrote:Im old school SP

This may be why i dont take them anywhere - because they are a nightmare!
That will change. You can't and shouldn't avoid iPads/smart phones etc - they are a necessary evil. My kids have to do some of their homework on iPads - makes it tricky at bedtime!

As for your kids being a nightmare- that's just the programming they all have. If they were all well behaved and not half their life feral imagine how overpopulated the world would be?!
I absolutely agree. I dont want to hold them back - I imagine school will force my hand - I better get used to it.
The kinder one has a small amount of access to the ipad at kinder but never at home.

one day they will be old enough to navigate themselves to here.. I will not know there user name.
get yourself some decent software and router and you can control what they visit and when they visit it. a must for parents of young kids. all the time and energy we invest in our kids, it's worth investing in a bit of knowledge for ourselves to help raise them in a digital world. keep the ipads away as long as possible. let them learn the physical world first. we grew up playing board games and hide and seek and charades etc with the kids and took them out hiking and sightseeing and such all the time. The drive out was often hell, but the rest of the day great and they'd be knackered for the drive home. all to easy to become slaves to the ease of digital entertainment. Dinally gave them ipods to help them stay in touch with friends when we went on a year long trip round the world. wish i hadn't - they are like crack cocaine.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

In Paddy, Stevens, White

Out Bruce, Dunstan, Webster

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

desertsaint wrote:
dals_da_bomb wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

As for your kids being a nightmare- that's just the programming they all have. If they were all well behaved and not half their life feral imagine how overpopulated the world would be?!

get yourself some decent software and router and you can control what they visit and when they visit it. a must for parents of young kids. all the time and energy we invest in our kids, it's worth investing in a bit of knowledge for ourselves to help raise them in a digital world. keep the ipads away as long as possible. let them learn the physical world first. we grew up playing board games and hide and seek and charades etc with the kids and took them out hiking and sightseeing and such all the time. The drive out was often hell, but the rest of the day great and they'd be knackered for the drive home. all to easy to become slaves to the ease of digital entertainment. Dinally gave them ipods to help them stay in touch with friends when we went on a year long trip round the world. wish i hadn't - they are like crack cocaine.
That can be a dangerous suggestion DS. All too often such software ends up being used, by the kids, to control what and when their parents can visit. (I remember my nephew, at 18 months, programmed my parents out of their VCR player. Hilarious. :lol: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
dals_da_bomb wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

That can be a dangerous suggestion DS. All too often such software ends up being used, by the kids, to control what and when their parents can visit. (I remember my nephew, at 18 months, programmed my parents out of their VCR player. Hilarious. :lol: )
uite true dave. my son's school gives all the kids macairs with admin privileges withheld. a quick google search and all the kids simply add a new admin account, use it to give themselves admin privileges, and then delete the new account.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
RODOS
Club Player

paddy has earned his shot. We reward form. Keeps the team turning and chugging. If we didn't our boys in the twos wouldn't try and we'd end up with no depth/crap bottom six. Paddy is no different. He plays well for a string of matches (four goals clear on top of the vfl goal kicking), he gets a game. He'll have this week and next to prove he deserves it, if he spuds it up, back to the twos.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Back on topic...

OUT: Webster (hand), Minch (unlucky), and Longer.

IN: Mackenzie/Rice (the choice is up to DS), Stevens, and anyone (though preferably Holmes or Lewy P).

Saintsationalists, it seems pretty straight forward to me. Three things affect our results. Two are linked to each other.

- Kicking accuracy when kicking into the forward 50. We tend to have more inside 50s than our enemies. But this is not being reflected on the scoreboard.

- Kicking accuracy when kicking for goal. We tend to have more shots on goal than our enemies. But this is not being reflected on the scoreboard.

- Running players.
Look at our losses. The third quarter against the Dreamons, last half of the final quarter against the Cokeheads, last quarter against the Hillbillies. Even, look at the periods when the Wogans threatened to get on top of us.
One consistent thing happened. Their running players ran rampant, especially off the half back line.

Now look at our wins (including over the Wogans, when we stopped them from blowing us away). What was different? We played more blokes who can get to contests, and who can keep up with and hence curtail the oppositions' running half backs.

This was all achieved when we replaced Dunstan, Armo' and Paddy with Stevens, Wright and Minch. Also replacing the unlucky Lonie gave both increased strength and speed (Lonie isn't that quick). And Jimmy W is an upgrade on Savage - a much better defender (and that's against big and small opponents), tough as, and I also reckon Jimmy would be quicker that Sav, who ain't slow.

But last week we lost Stevens, replacing him with Dunstan. That slowed the side down a little, but no biggee. However, when we then lost my man Jimmy W early on... suddenly, we've lost a significant amount of run c/f the team that rolled the Wogans. That's why we struggled against tanti-boy's team. :idea:

Sure, we got away with it when tanti-boy lost the plot for the last quarter. But going forward, we can't rely on being so lucky if we're playing against a real opponent.

We're already playing with 17 blokes once the ruck has been contested. We cannot then add an unfit Paddy up forward. We also (as has been pointed out continually by the likes of Con) cannot keep playing all of Dunstan, Armo' and Seb in the one mid field. (Even though the latter two aren't as slow as is widely believed.)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think it is more that Bruce has not been taking his marks.

McClunk when on song can mark well.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Dave McNamara wrote:Back on topic...

OUT: Webster (hand), Minch (unlucky), and Longer.

IN: Mackenzie/Rice (the choice is up to DS), Stevens, and anyone (though preferably Holmes or Lewy P).

Saintsationalists, it seems pretty straight forward to me. Three things affect our results. Two are linked to each other.

- Kicking accuracy when kicking into the forward 50. We tend to have more inside 50s than our enemies. But this is not being reflected on the scoreboard.

- Kicking accuracy when kicking for goal. We tend to have more shots on goal than our enemies. But this is not being reflected on the scoreboard.

- Running players.
Look at our losses. The third quarter against the Dreamons, last half of the final quarter against the Cokeheads, last quarter against the Hillbillies. Even, look at the periods when the Wogans threatened to get on top of us.
One consistent thing happened. Their running players ran rampant, especially off the half back line.

Now look at our wins (including over the Wogans, when we stopped them from blowing us away). What was different? We played more blokes who can get to contests, and who can keep up with and hence curtail the oppositions' running half backs.

This was all achieved when we replaced Dunstan, Armo' and Paddy with Stevens, Wright and Minch. Also replacing the unlucky Lonie gave both increased strength and speed (Lonie isn't that quick). And Jimmy W is an upgrade on Savage - a much better defender (and that's against big and small opponents), tough as, and I also reckon Jimmy would be quicker that Sav, who ain't slow.

But last week we lost Stevens, replacing him with Dunstan. That slowed the side down a little, but no biggee. However, when we then lost my man Jimmy W early on... suddenly, we've lost a significant amount of run c/f the team that rolled the Wogans. That's why we struggled against tanti-boy's team. :idea:

Sure, we got away with it when tanti-boy lost the plot for the last quarter. But going forward, we can't rely on being so lucky if we're playing against a real opponent.

We're already playing with 17 blokes once the ruck has been contested. We cannot then add an unfit Paddy up forward. We also (as has been pointed out continually by the likes of Con) cannot keep playing all of Dunstan, Armo' and Seb in the one mid field. (Even though the latter two aren't as slow as is widely believed.)
Thanks Dave, you make some great points. It's a hard read for me though trying to figure out who are the Wogans, Cokeheads and Hillbillys.

You make the point that we play better with more pace, not less pace in the team.

I'm really keen to see Paddy in the team, he brings a lot of assets, but pace ain't one of them. And Longer is slow, and sadly an unfit Riewoldt doesn't help either.

barneyboyz
Club Player

stonecold wrote:Jesus, Gilbert responsible for losing us a flag now, get a grip!!!!!

If our b/f count was tomorrow, he's be running top 5!!!!!
I've watched half of our games live at the ground and half on TV, also watched all games several times on replay and I am certain that Gilbert has been one of our most important players to date.

People have to understand what is actually going on out there, he has stopped plenty of opposition attacking runs this year and has been a most stable link in many of ours and his disposal wouldn't be all too bad either

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Does Sinclair have the poise to play off half-back for Webster?

#gosaintas
Club Player

freely wrote:Does Sinclair have the poise to play off half-back for Webster?

Quite possibly and doesn't seem to lose too many contests. Certainly good enough disposal but he's been so good on the wing.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote:Does Sinclair have the poise to play off half-back for Webster?
Perhaps, but his quality ball use in the midfield to link up and create play has been vital since he has come in and is something that our midfield has sorely lacked.

He has been a stand out in delivering the ball to forwards and mids in good positions. So let us leave him there.

To replace Jimmy, both DMak and Rice are good options. Failing that Gilbert.

I think we have one too many small forwards in the 22 and especially now that Billings is playing primarily as a forward. So one of Weller, Gresh or Minch can go. Minch for mine.