What was said to Murphy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: What was said to Murphy?

SaintPav wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:As a number of the burghers here have suggested, if only Murphy had kept his outrage within the 'community".

If Murphy hadn't gone all European 'honorable man', and reached for the social media sword, to defend the honour of the betrothed, few would be any the wiser about the 'rumours' about the wife.

So, here's an angle - Murphy's actually the one prone to misogyny. He displayed a medieval attitude, women as property, and used that to defend his own poor on-ground behaviour, because women cannot look after themselves without a man to defend and protect them.

A true modern man would have empowered his partner to speak for herself - if she felt the need. If she didn't feel sufficiently slighted, then cro-magnon man should STFU.

If she did feel sufficiently slighted, but insufficiently empowered to speak for herself, then cro-magnon man should STFU.

Murphy made her the spectacle when he went first to social media. Then he has the gall to pot the ordinary punters for speculating on social media. If only....and then he heaved her on to the social media pyre.

He lit the fuse, and used his wife as fuel.

He's the one who should be ashamed.

The word (modern) "worldly" keeps springing to mind.

Such is the life of many a modern 'elite' sportsman. All outrage is their due, particularly those ensconced in institutions with outsized and residual senses of entitlement.

You're not exceptional, Murph, and only the captured care what you consider offensive enough to broadcast.
He used his wife to protect his own arse. Very selfish

Murphy nor Carlton have responded to the club or Geary reaching out. This tells me that the sledging was a smoke screen.
Murphy is gutless and spineless for going to the media about the sledging.
He points the finger at our guys, using his wife as the burley, and watches the sharks feeding now.

He's put her in the worst spot a woman could be in.
Some folks on here are abusing our guys for "not respecting women",
but they're supposed to be Saints supporters
yet they believe a weak little scumbag like Murphy who gives kidney punches to our Trevor Barker Medallist.

How about believing our guys first?

Mrs Murphy is now gonna feel weird when she runs into friends at a restaurant, or getting her hair done.
Murphy is an idiot for going public. A real man would protect her by saying nothing, if in fact our guys said anything. Might have been "Chips sends his best wishes", who knows?

Murphy started a melee and wants to be "the victim".
Gutless.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Kneel down before the king

Is that really what all the fuss is about... from a few players.
Technically the name Wayne Carey was not used

But I'm not sure they weren't referring to David King.... or Jake the Push Up King?!

lefty
Club Player

I'm not happy with Sen in the morning, especially Bartlett.

1. Its clearly evident that both sides were guilty of sledging that went too far, yet its not even acknowledged or mentioned.

2. One team publicly apologized and acknowledged that it went too far, one team did not, yet we haven't done enough apparently according to SEN.

3. Murphy's actions when someone is motionless was not sportsman like at all. Murphy didn't apologies or acknowledge it, nor does SEN.

4. The supporters had every right to boo Murphy on the day due to his actions, its a poor reflection on a captain and is not leadership.

5. Not once did people even mention what was said to Carlisle. I'm certain he is sledged constantly about the Essendon sage along with the drug/snap chat video on a weekly basis. No one would know the mental state of having been a guinea pig, being guilty due to a workplace with inappropriate processes, nearly loosing his career. Football is a physically challenging and exhausting game, emotions can boil up, and it can overstep the mark, which it did, but there is always two sides to a story, but all I am hearing is one, which is ridiculous and poor by the media. I guess whatever it takes to make a story for as long as they can?

6. If someone told Jobe Watson he was a drug cheat etc, I'm certain I'll be hearing Tim Watson calling it wrong etc, but seems its OK for Carlisle.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I am disappointed that our club bowed down to media pressure and didn't support Carlisle

Weak as piss

stonecold
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:I am disappointed that our club bowed down to media pressure and didn't support Carlisle

Weak as piss
Yeap, even I carnt argue with you there, good point!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

BigMart wrote:I am disappointed that our club bowed down to media pressure and didn't support Carlisle

Weak as piss
huge game coming up,
we don't want and cannot afford any more distraction in the preparation.
We did the "right thing" and Gilligan McL said it's all good now.
We've now taken the moral high ground, we said publicly that there was to and fro going on
and Marshmallow Murphy has thrown his missus under the bus so he can play the "victim" card.
He "behaved out of character"?
Look, no matter what happens, the media wants to give us a big whack any chance they get.
I would ban Mav and Joey going on The Footy Show, really, because of the Dempster thing and everything else.

"Didn't support Carlisle" ?
what was all the argy bargy then?
Kindergarten playtime?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
elizabethr
Club Player

Give it a rest.

nothing to say
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Weak as piss

Disagree.

There is absolutely nothing to gain from trying to do anything other than what the club did.

I think once again, the club handled the situation incredibly well.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

Weak as piss

Disagree.

There is absolutely nothing to gain from trying to do anything other than what the club did.

Doesn't seem to have helped us though.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Weak as piss

Disagree.

Doesn't seem to have helped us though.

It has.

Everyone has moved on.

Even the words 'may have' and probably' in the statements by Geary and Richardson were launched on by anyone and everyone in th media as an excuse to savage the club.

Just to try to imagine if we had have 'gone hard' as some suggest?

We'd be looking at another 'St Kilda schoolgirl' saga.

I think the club, yet again, handled things perfectly. They didn't hang the players, but they also didn't give ammo to the media. And, most importantly, it went away.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Loved your post ToT. His wife would never have known if not for Murphy. He has basically used our club to put a stop to social media rumours.

SEN this morning said that the sledges towards carlisle were not about his drug ban but about his video he posted whilst on holidays.

They all went oh well thats ok then.

So I give you this completely hypothetical situation

What if Carlisle was so traumatised by the drug saga at essendon that he turned to drugs and actually the drugs became quite a problem and he is still attending therapy to help with his problem. Then would it be ok for Murphy to say what he said.

The whole dismissal of yeah that was ok to say to carlisle really pissed me off.

I'm sure the sledge did not worry Carlisle and he has been copping it all year apparantly I think someone said it on here.

I shake my head at how hypocritical the media are. As Bob Murphy said this morning, How do you say you crossed the line when the line is different for everyone.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
ace wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Sorry if I missed it but what did Jake's tweet say?
Jake did not make a tweet but someone masquerading as Jake Carlisle did put a LIKE on someone else's tweet.
A tweet that accurately reflected Murphy's character.

If that masquerading is on the money, ace, all I'll say is "I tipped this!!"
Really... Robbo retweeted this, after sucking up to Richo on Monday night. Poor Form.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Firstly as a St Kilda supporter I am not going to blindly support every action of the club or player if I believe they are wrong. To this end I offer you 35% of the American population who still believe Trump does no wrong.

I feel the club has handled this situation as well as possible and I am sure in house the leadership group has taken complete ownership of the issue.

To those on this forum suggesting that Carlisle needs an apology, no he does not.

There is a huge difference between sledging a player personally (obviously not racially etc) who can respond themselves to the situation and a third party who cannot.

The fact the Murphy seems to have made it public is irrelevant to the fact that a third person who has no control over the situation is used as a sledging weapon in this way.

And for goodness sake is there not enough history of sledging across all sports to show that the dubious sledging never ever reflects well on the sledger, so just don't do it.

fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
mcadam05
Club Player

What I hear is it wasnt about a former nth player sleeping with his wife it was about a former saint sleeping with the wife and this former saint told current players about the deed last yr

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

mullet wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
ace wrote:
Jake did not make a tweet but someone masquerading as Jake Carlisle did put a LIKE on someone else's tweet.

Really... Robbo retweeted this, after sucking up to Richo on Monday night. Poor Form.
In fairness to Robbo (I can't believe I typed that), it probably met the definition of "news" in the context of that day, and it was a really bloody stupid thing for Jake to do, given the skipper and the coach had been sent out to contain the situation - this was one occasion where dignified silence should have been the winner.

Robbo went into bat for the Saints again last night on 360. I think having Richo on that show has really helped in one tiny (but vocal) corner of the footy press/media.

Always loyal
mullet
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
mullet wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
ace wrote:

In fairness to Robbo (I can't believe I typed that), it probably met the definition of "news" in the context of that day, and it was a really bloody stupid thing for Jake to do, given the skipper and the coach had been sent out to contain the situation - this was one occasion where dignified silence should have been the winner.

Robbo went into bat for the Saints again last night on 360. I think having Richo on that show has really helped in one tiny (but vocal) corner of the footy press/media.
Thanks SF. I personally think it was dumb of Carlisle. I still havent forgiven him for the other video post. I really detest drugs. But thats my thing. I'm not really trying to make Carlisle the victim, I am just really wanting consistency in arguments from the media. They seem to love to bash stkilda over things that would not get a mention if another club. And I really think this whole incident didnt need to leave the arena. Plus being delivered sermons by people like wayne carey really make me see red. Time to move on

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

How is it that we have a Royal Commission into an over the line sledge...yet a club like Collingwood can have two players take performance enhancing drugs with their cocaine and it registers about half the press coverage.
All these hacks jumping in with their pious takedowns makes me sick.
Murphy has only added to his own pain.

Nee!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

mullet wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
mullet wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
ace wrote:

Thanks SF. I personally think it was dumb of Carlisle. I still havent forgiven him for the other video post. I really detest drugs. But thats my thing. I'm not really trying to make Carlisle the victim, I am just really wanting consistency in arguments from the media. They seem to love to bash stkilda over things that would not get a mention if another club. And I really think this whole incident didnt need to leave the arena. Plus being delivered sermons by people like wayne carey really make me see red. Time to move on
I 100% agree mullet.

On the breathtaking hypocrisy of the media (particularly former players) on this issue, there's a good post by Josh Pinn on The Footy Gospel. I've lifted the last few paragraphs:

"The problem is that a great many people don’t choose these options and every time a club president jokes about drowning a woman, or a record holding former club captain resorts to racial stereotypes, it normalises it for those watching or listening. I think most of the footy media are good people and, for the most part, they should be respected, but perhaps it’s time that some fresh faces joined the ranks. Hearing and seeing the same white male faces for the last 25 years is getting slightly tiresome.

What really hit the point home for me this week was the reaction to the melee during the St. Kilda-Carlton game and its aftermath. Let me first say that sledging of a highly personal nature, as was the case on Sunday, should not have a place on an AFL field. Marc Murphy’s obvious hurt and his reaction is evidence enough of that. However, in an environment where a certain amount of physical violence is encouraged, and adrenaline is ever present and extremely heightened, there will be times that verbal barbs are used. Players tread a very fine line on the field both mentally and physically.

To that end, the calls from some sections of the media for a players’ Code Of Conduct are misguided at best and disingenuous at worse. No sensible person could argue that vilification of a racial, sexual or personal nature should be tolerated on the field. By the same token, nor should it be tolerated in the media.

Players can at least use as an excuse the extreme pressure to perform, to gain any sort of ascendancy over their opponent so that their multi-million dollar organisation can have some small advantage over the competition. The same cannot be said for the media.

Before calling for Codes Of Conduct, or demanding that players hit a contest as hard as possible, but not say something nasty to their opponent, maybe take a look at your own backyard and see if there’s any reform to be considered there.
"

http://www.footygospel.com/josh-pinn/time-for-change

Always loyal
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If it was started by a sledge from Murphy, then Carlisle's alleged retort (still not ideal) was as a result of provocation and somewhat mitigated.

Words are exchanged on the football field that we never find out about.

But what I found worst of all - and inexcusable - was that while Carlisle was writhing in pain and gasping for breath, Murphy delivered a few choice words to him. He probably would have been happy to see him crippled at that point. This was obvious.

Is the AFL happy with this look? What Murphy did was out in the open - for everyone to see - not an alleged sledge.
What message does this send?
Last edited by samoht on Wed 17 May 2017 11:54am, edited 1 time in total.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:What I hear is it wasnt about a former nth player sleeping with his wife it was about a former saint sleeping with the wife and this former saint told current players about the deed last yr
If, IF, that is the fact of the matter, Gil, and considering Murphy and Ms Haberman (steady!!) were manacled together in late December last year, then it would seem the prior enjoyment involving out former chap was had BEFORE the manacling.

I refer to my earlier remarks re Ms Haberman being the one against whom any outrage should be benchmarked.

Was she free to exercise choice before she was manacled to Murphy, or does Murphy believe he had her on lay-by? Being 'possessive' is bad enough, but 'pre-possessive'?!?!

She's neither damsel in distress, nor chattel.

Unfortunately, Murphy's created the image that she's both.

One of the contemporary practices I truly abhor - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sl*t-shaming

All because Murphy was offended.

And, just to be clear, I do NOT view her as such. She's the victim of her husband's insecurities.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

"On lay-by"!

That's a ripper, ToT.

Always loyal
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
mullet wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
mullet wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
ace wrote:

I 100% agree mullet.

On the breathtaking hypocrisy of the media (particularly former players) on this issue, there's a good post by Josh Pinn on The Footy Gospel. I've lifted the last few paragraphs:

"The problem is that a great many people don’t choose these options and every time a club president jokes about drowning a woman, or a record holding former club captain resorts to racial stereotypes, it normalises it for those watching or listening. I think most of the footy media are good people and, for the most part, they should be respected, but perhaps it’s time that some fresh faces joined the ranks. Hearing and seeing the same white male faces for the last 25 years is getting slightly tiresome.

What really hit the point home for me this week was the reaction to the melee during the St. Kilda-Carlton game and its aftermath. Let me first say that sledging of a highly personal nature, as was the case on Sunday, should not have a place on an AFL field. Marc Murphy’s obvious hurt and his reaction is evidence enough of that. However, in an environment where a certain amount of physical violence is encouraged, and adrenaline is ever present and extremely heightened, there will be times that verbal barbs are used. Players tread a very fine line on the field both mentally and physically.

To that end, the calls from some sections of the media for a players’ Code Of Conduct are misguided at best and disingenuous at worse. No sensible person could argue that vilification of a racial, sexual or personal nature should be tolerated on the field. By the same token, nor should it be tolerated in the media.

Players can at least use as an excuse the extreme pressure to perform, to gain any sort of ascendancy over their opponent so that their multi-million dollar organisation can have some small advantage over the competition. The same cannot be said for the media.

Before calling for Codes Of Conduct, or demanding that players hit a contest as hard as possible, but not say something nasty to their opponent, maybe take a look at your own backyard and see if there’s any reform to be considered there.
"

http://www.footygospel.com/josh-pinn/time-for-change
You usurper, you, Semp - I was just about to post the very same.

A fellow SS'er sent it to me this morn - excellent throughout, particularly the nonsense about constructing a code of conduct.

It seems to me none of these nuffers on the CofC bandwagon, to regulate behaviours (particularly the use of words), took the slightest notice of what happened with the endless debate about Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act.

As that op-ed piece suggests throughout, there are geese, and there are ganders, and who is to decide in this industry which is which?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I listened to KB and that simpleton Jon Ralph this morning bang on about how outrageous this is all for about 30 minutes straight.

Utter outrage at St Kilda. Utter outrage at the AFL.

How dare Richardson and Geary and St Kilda 'half apologise'??! 'Maybe' overstepped the mark??!! 'Possibly' got it wrong!! Such outrage!

But then minutes later, Bartlett declares "the AFL at least should have had an investigation to find out what was said!".

No s***. He actually said that.

He doesn't even know what was said. Neither does Ralph.

Yet they bang on for 30 minutes about how outrageous it is to half apologise for it. We don't know what they said god damn it! But we sure as hell know that St Kilda should apologise for it an be punished by the AFL!!!

The mind boggles sometimes.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

And, most importantly, it went away.

NO NO NO!!!

I NEED MY MORAL OUTRAGE!!!

WHERE'S MY MORAL OUTRAGE???!!!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think all the Saints players were sending their mother's Day wishes to Murphy's wife. Why would he get upset with that. Caroline Wilson is just bloody jealous.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!