Quick Question RE: Junction Oval

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Quick Question RE: Junction Oval

Hi all,
I hope you are all well. Quick question, if the Saints move back to Junction Oval in some shape or form, could it make the Saints attractive to the Hipster/International/Backpacker element that live and stay in the area, that way helping the Saints build globally, and giving the Saints a trendy, cashed-up (?) fan base?

Would make the Marco Polo esque "first in China" crap we heard this week, seem second rate.

Thoughts.
Last edited by IanRush on Mon 15 May 2017 2:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Quick Question RE: Junction Oval

Yes and no. On second thoughts, no and yes. Or perhaps, or perhaps not.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Loads of Spanish-speaking youngsters on the tram to St Kilda these days.

Our best bet would be to sign Luis Enrique as coach.

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Superboot wrote:Loads of Spanish-speaking youngsters on the tram to St Kilda these days.

Our best bet would be to sign Luis Enrique as coach.
Appoint Luis as a Global brand Ambassador for the Saints. Si singor, me gusta la Saints!

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Go Saints.. the Hipster club

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I think you should be corresponding with Dave McNamara.

See prior enormous thread on this very topic.

No doubt Dave will soon be corresponding with you ...

Always loyal
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:Hi all,
I hope you are all well. Quick question, if the Saints move back to Junction Oval in some shape or form, could it make the Saints attractive to the Hipster/International/Backpacker element that live and stay in the area, that way helping the Saints build globally, and giving the Saints a trendy, cashed-up (?) fan base?

Would make the Marco Polo esque "first in China" crap we heard this week, seem second rate.

Thoughts.
You should write to the club with this idea. I'm sure they haven't thought about it.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Thoughts.
NO.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Geeez what a surprise that you don't like this idea

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

the JO is the GO

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Interesting that in a nation of ~1 billion people, they used a ground that holds 10,000.

Also interesting that the game was sold out. Yet the vision of the game showed all those empty seats. Shades of a recent inauguration...?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Thoughts.
Semper was right! :lol:

Return home, and we can eventually become, maybe not quite the biggest, but certainly the best known Australian sporting club. Both domestically, and internationally.

From the Shanghai'd thread...
thejiggingsaint wrote:I listened to the Bulldogs President, Peter Gordon, during his Friday morning spot with Jon Faine. He made the point about the "digital market" that is there to be exploited, and thatbthe AFL would be crazy NOT to pursue such ventures. In his opinion, it's not necessarily about the amount of "bums on seats", but rather the enormous marketing potential for the code. One only has to see the huge interest in NBA and NFL around the world, with all the attendant spin-offs to see where Peter Gordon is coming from.
All those international tourists passing through St Kilda. It's a numbers game. Tap into just 1%. Become a part of/linked with their memories of a wonderful time in Oz, and when they return home, they can still follow us digitally. If the St Kilda bowlo' can turn itself around and become a must-visit place, then think what an AFL club could do...

Oh, and the sponsors would love it. What does it cost to advertise at the GP? I don't know, other than 'heaps'. But if you were a Saint's sponsor, there you have you signage right next to the track. Seen by all those international visitors... and... international TV viewers. :idea:

(Maybe that's why, when we were languishing in outer Siberia, and sitting on the bottom of the ladder... the news of our move to St Kilda hit the press... suddenly, the club is getting unsolicited phone calls from wannabe sponsors. Yet, it doesn't really matter where a club is based... according to some. )

And then there's that little matter of gate receipts:
Hillbillies net $825K per Hillbilly Park home game - average crowd 26,000.
Saintas at Dockedlands - crowd of 26,000 - we pay Docklands $75,000. :evil:

Rushie, it's legendary how you enjoy chasing down and sifting through the info' on a topic. Well, all you need is buried in these pages...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86939&hilit=homeward+bound

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:the JO is the GO
Firey is right. 8-)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, football fans those pretentious knobs....

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ever had a bad crooked landlord?

St Kilda has. They were called the St Kilda Cricket Club.

Bunch of soft bump arsewipes.

What makes you think things have changed in the ensuing 52 years?

Those pricks forced the Saints out with a deal worse than that prick Collins forced upon us at the dome.

My father and I were there as dad and Drake were mates.

We went every week and always sat with the committee.

Pretty hard to forget or forgive those cricket officials who screwed the saint blind and expected us too smile whilst they bent us over.

Things would only be worse now with Cricket Victoria on the scene.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 15 May 2017 8:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Ever had a bad crooked landlord?

St Kilda has. They were called the St Kilda Cricket Club.

Bunch of soft bump arsewipes.

What makes you think things have changed in the ensuing 52 years?

Those pricks forced the Saints out with a deal worsh than that prick Collins forced upon us at the dome.

My father and I were there as dad and Drake were mates.

We went every week and always sat with the committee.

Pretty hard to forget or forgive those cricket officials who scewed the saint blind and expected us too smile whilst they bent us over.

Things would only be worse now with Cricket Victoria on the scene.
Not arguing with any of those points. Coz they're all only too true. :( Forgive? That's optional. Forget? Never!!! :evil:

The St Kilda CC's various administrators treated us terribly! Apart from simple common decency issues, it would also have made simple common sense to be supportive. Doing so would have been to the mutual benefit of both clubs. And you're only too right. Bloody Cricket Victoria is just as short-sighted! In fact, worse! Bastards!!! What is it with these dodgy cricket administrators??? Why can't they see the bleedin' obvious benefits of mutual synergy???

And now the karma bus may finally be pulling up to the good 'ol St K CC, as they may well find themselves booted-out to make way for Gestapo HQ, Cricket Victoria.

IMHandunshakeableO, the most important thing for our beloved club, is to get ourselves back to St Kilda. Doing so can be the absolute game changer for us. First step is to be based there, then play some VFL games. Then some AFL preseason games. End game - play some AFL H&A matches.

But yes, the move back must be on fair and equitable terms. That is unquestionable.

(And yes, if it's still part of the local Tea Party platform, then I'd sell my soul... and vote for them in the next state election on this one issue. :oops: )

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks Dave for your comments. I feel this thread needs a cameo from Clayton Davis, West Baltimore's finest.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yeah, football fans those pretentious knobs....
Still channelling Pluggsie, Mart?

That's ok. I miss her too. :)

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:Thanks Dave for your comments. I feel this thread needs a cameo from Clayton Davis, West Baltimore's finest.
Rushie, if you're by chance alluding to our very own cunning-like-a-... type real estate operator (West Portsea's finest), then yes, I'd also be prepared to turn a blind eye to that, to get our beloved Saints back home.
Or in other words, to quote someone/some entity who turned out to be not quite so cunning... "Whatever it takes." :wink:

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Dave McNamara wrote:
IanRush wrote:Thanks Dave for your comments. I feel this thread needs a cameo from Clayton Davis, West Baltimore's finest.
Rushie, if you're by chance alluding to our very own cunning-like-a-... type real estate operator (West Portsea's finest), then yes, I'd also be prepared to turn a blind eye to that, to get our beloved Saints back home.
Or in other words, to quote someone/some entity who turned out to be not quite so cunning... "Whatever it takes." :wink:
West Portsea? Ol Clayton doing a job on Point Nepean National Park now is he? :)

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
West Portsea? Ol Clayton doing a job on Point Nepean National Park now is he? :)
From what I've heard Rushie, I wouldn't rule it out - from either of those two 'entrepreneurial' gentlemen. :lol: