Weller Out

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Weller Out

AFL website reporting Mav Weller rolled an ankle at training on Wednesday, and will miss this week, replaced by Nathan Wright

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-04/s ... t-comes-in

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Weller Out

Stephen Theodore wrote:AFL website reporting Mav Weller rolled an ankle at training on Wednesday, and will miss this week, replaced by Nathan Wright

Since when is team selections announced at 11am Thursday?

There is an embargo until 6.25pm

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:AFL website reporting Mav Weller rolled an ankle at training on Wednesday, and will miss this week, replaced by Nathan Wright

Yeah agree SP, bit of an odd one.

stonecold
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:

Since it came out of the coaches mouth earlier!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
loris
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Maybe a red herring thrown in there by AR? He says the team was going to be unchanged, except for this injury to Weller....... is there possibly another change in the wind? Then he wouldn't be beating the embargo and announcing the team. Just to have GWS guessing until the end eh???

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I would think Dunstan in for Weller, although Wright may be better for Weller's role. I worry about Wright's footskills in a big game.

Saint wagga
Club Player

If the change to the team is Weller Out and Wright in; my concern is we will carry too many players who don't get enough of the footy...Minch, Gresham, Wright and Longer...Now there will be opportunity for one or more of these guys to really step up in Mav's absence and i hope they can. Wright is in form in the VFL and I like his pace, his toughness and his ability to 'hunt' the oppositon. But with him, minch and gresh not historically statistically finding more than 10-15 posi's per game, we need to get our hands on the pill somehow. Big game for Gresh I reckon, would love to see him get more than 20 touches and be clean and effective in the middle. Asking a lot of a second year player, but the real guns can do it from very early on!

stonecold
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:I would think Dunstan in for Weller, although Wright may be better for Weller's role. I worry about Wright's footskills in a big game.
Not with the Coach on this one then?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Linton Lodger wrote:I would think Dunstan in for Weller, although Wright may be better for Weller's role. I worry about Wright's footskills in a big game.
Dunstan only gets 16 touches on average. Way too slow.
Plodder. Wright is a speedster.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

loris wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Maybe a red herring thrown in there by AR? He says the team was going to be unchanged, except for this injury to Weller....... is there possibly another change in the wind? Then he wouldn't be beating the embargo and announcing the team. Just to have GWS guessing until the end eh???
If Weller is named as an emergency, then he might "come good" before tomorrow night and be brought in
:o

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Wombat15
Club Player

Might as well try Wright. their backline consists of two runners with Shaw and Williams and we cant have them carving us up all day. Seems to be a common theme of the last two years that our smaller forwards dont mark the other running half backs on the other side. Rich had a field day against us, Same for Yeo and against melbourne with Neville and Hunt. Wright offers a fast defensive forward that has a knack at scoring scrappy goals. Overall i wouldnt worry about his around ground skills id be telling him to do his best to lock down on shaw and williams and force pressured kicks out from the back. Be a big test for him and Minchington (if he holds his spot).

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Must be a badly rolled ankle given they are saying he's out hopefully for just one week.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Wright hopefully blankets Shaw's run from half back.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I may shoot myself if the coach brings back in Dunstan after a week. He needs to spend his time running and learning how to sprint. And then repeat.

Go you red, black & white warriors
longtimesaint
Club Player

Mav is a bad loss for us -We don't have many players with some mongrel.

One year will be our year
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:Mav is a bad loss for us -We don't have many players with some mongrel.
Wright has mongrel, but does not have Weller's class or ability.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

As Richo stated on radio that Wright would be in for Weller I would say Wright.

He also stated that there was to be no changes but with Weller out they went like for like which he stated after being asked whether Paddy would come in.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SuperDuper
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
As Richo stated on radio that Wright would be in for Weller I would say Wright.

He also stated that there was to be no changes but with Weller out they went like for like which he stated after being asked whether Paddy would come in.
Wright is a good match up for Shaw... Weller could have gone to him but Wright is the next best option we have for that role..
Wright could do well on Shaw, IMO.. has the size, speed, mongrel, discipline and aerial ability

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Nathan Wright's return to the senior side last year happened at the start of our good finish, over the last 10 odd rounds.

His manic front half defending made a significant difference - he gets to contest after contest, and scraps around well enough that he went at about a goal a game (that's how I recall it, haven't checked).

He's a different player to Weller, in that he can change direction much quicker (hence, the contest to contest).

And, he's brave (not that Weller isn't, but Wright's crazy brave) - wasn't it against Girlong last year, when he came back on all busted up from prior efforts?

I'm a Wrighty fan (in case you couldn't tell) good/v.good 1st year, Geary busted his leg early in his 2nd, then Betts busted his jaw, badly, in his 3rd(the last 2 might be arse about). No luck, stuck with it, and they got it right when they shifted him forward.

Yes, we have possibly too many who don't get enough of it, but Wrighty better than most, makes it hard for opponents to get it out.

It's his mid distance kicking that is his flaw, but playing forward that's a lot less of a problem than it is when he comes off half back.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
minneapolis
Club Player

Saw that the Giants had 3 good players out.

Thought that might help us a little bit.

But no. They just go to the top shelf and take down 3 more amazing footballers.

Geez. Loueez.

Keep your chin up tomorrow night fellas.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
linz
Club Player

I like Wright. He's fearless and even though Mav played well last week against the Hawks I have been frustrated with his kicking for goal and disposal in earlier games
particularly against Collingwood (even though we won the game). Having said that Wright's disposal isn't great.
Either way as Richo says it will be a like for like swap.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Nathan Wright's return to the senior side last year happened at the start of our good finish, over the last 10 odd rounds.

His manic front half defending made a significant difference - he gets to contest after contest, and scraps around well enough that he went at about a goal a game (that's how I recall it, haven't checked).

He's a different player to Weller, in that he can change direction much quicker (hence, the contest to contest).

And, he's brave (not that Weller isn't, but Wright's crazy brave) - wasn't it against Girlong last year, when he came back on all busted up from prior efforts?

I'm a Wrighty fan (in case you couldn't tell) good/v.good 1st year, Geary busted his leg early in his 2nd, then Betts busted his jaw, badly, in his 3rd(the last 2 might be arse about). No luck, stuck with it, and they got it right when they shifted him forward.

Yes, we have possibly too many who don't get enough of it, but Wrighty better than most, makes it hard for opponents to get it out.

It's his mid distance kicking that is his flaw, but playing forward that's a lot less of a problem than it is when he comes off half back.

Correct. Our fortunes changed for the better when Meatball, Acres and Wright were added to the team

All three are in the side together for the first time this year

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think Mav has bulked up too much. His muscles are too heavy for his ankles.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:I think Mav has bulked up too much. His muscles are too heavy for his ankles.
Haven't helped his eyes either! :oops:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Mac was being bagged out prior to this week, not sure why?

His numbers are very good for a medium HF... Very strange