Paddy Whackas, enough already!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy Whackas, enough already!!!!!

In the game against West Coast commentators including Dunstall and Johnson were praising him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stonecold
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:In the game against West Coast commentators including Dunstall and Johnson were praising him.
People in the know, Dunstall doesn't give praise easily either, just doesn't come naturally to piggy!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
RODOS
Club Player

Darth Vader wrote:All I know is what the experts keep telling us:
1. In general, players take 60 odd games to get right at AFL level. Sure there are exceptions but that's the point - they're exceptions.
2. Big guys take longer.
Paddy's a big guy who has played only 19 games with multiple interruptions and no continuity. Give him time.
soak it in guys, sanity rarely strikes the same thread twice!

twirlyhair
Club Player

RODOS wrote:
1. In general, players take 60 odd games to get right at AFL level. Sure there are exceptions but that's the point - they're exceptions.
2. Big guys take longer.
Paddy's a big guy who has played only 19 games with multiple interruptions and no continuity. Give him time.
Hallelujah brother! Some sense on Saintsational!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

RODOS wrote:
2. Big guys take longer.
Yeah but will Alan give him games to develop? Rooey could well prevent games going into Paddy if Richo gets obsessed with making finals and keeps throwing Rooey forward. And then when Paddy plays he has to try and find space with Rooey sucking up a lot of the ground with his endless back and forward leads. I think it might be tough for Paddy if Rooey plays on next year. Roo casts a huge shadow as spectacularly successful no. 1 pick you can't help but compare to Paddy as no. 1 pick.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

RODOS wrote:
2. Big guys take longer.
There is a disturbance in the force.

Always loyal
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
stonecold wrote:Give the kid a break, he'll be a super player, just needs time and experience!!!!!
WE should never have recruited him. He has diabetes and Petrraca is better anyway.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
RODOS wrote:
2. Big guys take longer.
Yeah but will Alan give him games to develop?

You can develop in the ressies though you know?

It's not as if you're sitting at home on the couch watching TV when you're not playing in the 1s.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Should we be comparing McCartin with Josh Schache?

McCartin is 21 and was a no. 1 pick, and has played 19 games.

Schache is 20 and was a no. 2 pick, and has played 20 games.

Gives some perspective on where McCartin is at if you look at their stats.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Brisbane are a pathetic team, coach sacked last year... josh schache does not have Bruce, Membrey, Riewoldt, Weller alongside him.... josh is a year younger and at 199cm is extremely tall

To the top
SS Life Member

I do not know what all this hand wringing is about

Yes, he has had some issues with head knocks so the Club is correctly and prudently managing him

Hence only 19 games to date

But in those games he has shown his potential and his ability

If, after a pack Mark late v Hawthorn he had kicked accurately that would have meant finals for us - and he would have been a hero

He played very well v Melbourne including once in the wet at the MCG and he had 2 early goals in a scrap with Richmond before copping a first quarter head knock

He has shown how valuable he is going to be for us over future seasons - like Billings when he won a game v WB for us

In terms of playing with Roo, that is only a benefit to both McCartin and to the Club

And I would expect that McCartin will play the very great majority of his football at AFL level in 2017 - with Roo doing what he does and with Bruce and Membrey also in the side

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Brisbane are a pathetic team, coach sacked last year... josh schache does not have Bruce, Membrey, Riewoldt, Weller alongside him.... josh is a year younger and at 199cm is extremely tall
But comparing McCartin last year (turned 20yo) with Schache this year (turning 20yo) with both picked in the top 2 as key forwards is a fair and reasonable comparison?

Aside from the fact that Schache has played almost twice as many games as McCartin had played at the same stage (start of 2016) and hasn't missed games like McCartin has through serious injury, the similarities are there.

Except for the criticism I suppose....

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

How does Paddy stack up against 19 YO Eric Hipwood?
Height?
Athleticism?
Speed?
Agility?
Upside?

Paddy has him for football experience, weight and clean hands but offer them up as a direct swap and Off we go.
Add Peter Wright to the mix as well, would swap Paddy for him tomorrow.

Paddy will hopefully turn out a good footballer but I don't see where the massive improvement is going to come from.
And yes supporters have the right to hope that a no.1 pick turning 21 should be in the senior team.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
twirlyhair
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:
citywest wrote:
stonecold wrote:Give the kid a break, he'll be a super player, just needs time and experience!!!!!
WE should never have recruited him. He has diabetes and Petrraca is better anyway.
Exactly! Love the armchair critics who believe they know everything but can never give the solution. We should have, we could have blah blah blah. Total waste of time thinking like that. That is the losers mentality.

twirlyhair
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Brisbane are a pathetic team, coach sacked last year... josh schache does not have Bruce, Membrey, Riewoldt, Weller alongside him.... josh is a year younger and at 199cm is extremely tall
And what's your point?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:How does Paddy stack up against 19 YO Eric Hipwood?
Height?
Athleticism?
Speed?
Agility?
Upside?
At the same age and games played?

Better conversion, far better Disposal Efficiency Per Game, less Clangers per game, more Uncontested Possessions, more Marks per game, more Contested Marks and more Marks I50 per game.

Only 0.6 less Possessions Per Game.
Joffa Burns wrote: Paddy has him for football experience, weight and clean hands but offer them up as a direct swap and Off we go.
Add Peter Wright to the mix as well, would swap Paddy for him tomorrow.
Experience?? Wright has played more than games than him. Hipwood has only played 4 less than him!

Why on earth would we swap for those guys?? On what basis? Cause they're big? Enormous size is incredibly overrated. Especially in key forwards.

Ben Brown is massive, and is borderline dud. Even John Patton is only mediocre. His stats are on par with McCartin's - and he's played 57 games.

If McCartin wasn't taken at no. 1, but instead no. 2 like Schache or 8 like Wright - we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

McCartin is doing fine. He's doing pretty much exactly the same as every other highly touted big key forward - only difference is that they are getting huge wraps whilst McCartin is copping heat.

With Riewoldt's retirement imminent, and with GWS getting Griffin plus pick 6 in a swap for a dud big key forward - we'd have been idiotic not to take McCartin at 1.

McCartin is on track in my opinion.
Last edited by Johnny Member on Sun 23 Apr 2017 9:31am, edited 1 time in total.

leighsaintsince66
Club Player

I have never posted before now. Was at the Sandy Richmond game earlier and IMO Paddy had more presence than ever. He was really quite ferocious and at one stage, collided heavily with a tigers player in an intimidating manner. Paddy's stats may have not been overly impressive but IMO he came of age today. Interestingly, he turned 21 a few days earlier and I reckon for the first time, he played like a seasoned man rather than a youth. I personally am excited about his future. Imagine when he is 24 or so! I believe he has what it takes to be an incredibly strong and unique presence, and a great asset to the club.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

leighsaintsince66 wrote:I have never posted before now. Was at the Sandy Richmond game earlier and IMO Paddy had more presence than ever. He was really quite ferocious and at one stage, collided heavily with a tigers player in an intimidating manner. Paddy's stats may have not been overly impressive but IMO he came of age today. Interestingly, he turned 21 a few days earlier and I reckon for the first time, he played like a seasoned man rather than a youth. I personally am excited about his future. Imagine when he is 24 or so! I believe he has what it takes to be an incredibly strong and unique presence, and a great asset to the club.
Thanks for the update on paddy. Sounds like a real step forward for the young man, hopefully he carries it forward and takes that ferocity to AFL Level, could be a real weapon if so

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

leighsaintsince66 wrote:I have never posted before now. Was at the Sandy Richmond game earlier and IMO Paddy had more presence than ever. He was really quite ferocious and at one stage, collided heavily with a tigers player in an intimidating manner. Paddy's stats may have not been overly impressive but IMO he came of age today. Interestingly, he turned 21 a few days earlier and I reckon for the first time, he played like a seasoned man rather than a youth. I personally am excited about his future. Imagine when he is 24 or so! I believe he has what it takes to be an incredibly strong and unique presence, and a great asset to the club.
Thanks for the report. You should post more.

RODOS
Club Player

19 touches, 9 marks, 3 goals, and ironed out anyone in his way. Tick

RODOS
Club Player

oh and gilbee called his game 'outstanding'.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

RODOS wrote:oh and gilbee called his game 'outstanding'.
What would he know compared to our home grown resident analysts. :wink:

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

RODOS wrote:19 touches, 9 marks, 3 goals, and ironed out anyone in his way. Tick
Do that in the AFL and everyone will be happy.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

RODOS wrote:19 touches, 9 marks, 3 goals, and ironed out anyone in his way. Tick
Mods, please delete the above post. No room for facts on this thread

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Plenty of room for dreaming though?

I'd expect those stats and better in every VFL game (I'd actually hope for an avg of 4) he plays unless it's really poor weather

That's a good game, last week was a solid game. He should be doing that at a minimum.

Sinclair, Lonie, Acres, Minch, Koby... in most VFL games they play hit 8/10 or better
As they should being AFL player in the second tier.

Paddy is an 'elite talent' AFL player whom I'd expect to tear it up at the level below.

If he plays another month, I'd not only hope, but expect him to kick 7-10 in a game or two.