Team v Cats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Cats

kosifantutti wrote:
magnifisaint wrote: If you have 2 superior ruckman you play them both. You don't play your full forward as the relief ruckman. If they want to manage Hickey better then you don't flog him every game. You get in another ruckman to help him out.
Longer can at least jump and catch it. Brucey is over whelmed in the centre square and Holmesy is not up to AFL yet.
Longer can't catch it.
Can't remember seeing Billy grab any strong marks on a regular basis- big body, but that's about it.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
magnifisaint wrote: If you have 2 superior ruckman you play them both. You don't play your full forward as the relief ruckman. If they want to manage Hickey better then you don't flog him every game. You get in another ruckman to help him out.
Longer can at least jump and catch it. Brucey is over whelmed in the centre square and Holmesy is not up to AFL yet.
Longer can't catch it.
He can one or two times. Hopefully he does OK this week. I reckon he knows he's on notice

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kruezer and Pruess both being rested/managed this week...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Kruezer and Pruess both being rested/managed this week...
it must be BS.
All those 'in the know' seem to think that 'resting' or 'managed' is just an excuse for 'being dropped'.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Kruezer and Pruess both being rested/managed this week...
it must be BS.
All those 'in the know' seem to think that 'resting' or 'managed' is just an excuse for 'being dropped'.
But Hickey is not selected for Sandringham either.
He is being "rested".

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
To the top
SS Life Member

Hickey took some very, very valuable marks deep in defence last week - and contested at ground level.

He may have some general soreness - hence not playing at any level this week.

The performance of Longer will be the determining factor in Hickey AND Longer playing in the same 22 meaning that we do not have to ruck key position players.

IF Longer can show that he brings not only a rucking performance but also Hickey's around the ground marking and contesting then the outcome may well be both in the 22 so we can maintain a genuine ruck presence throughout games, not for 80% of games.

The outcome is in Longer's hands this weekend.

Saint wagga
Club Player

To the top wrote:Hickey took some very, very valuable marks deep in defence last week - and contested at ground level.

The performance of Longer will be the determining factor in Hickey AND Longer playing in the same 22 meaning that we do not have to ruck key position players.

IF Longer can show that he brings not only a rucking performance but also Hickey's around the ground marking and contesting then the outcome may well be both in the 22 so we can maintain a genuine ruck presence throughout games, not for 80% of games.

What I'd like to see is that Longer has improved his physical ruckwork and effective follow up work...I don't expect him to rack up Hickey like numbers for posi's or even marks (but gee it'd be good if he did)...but people go on about his big frame and bullying other rucks and creating space...but seriously...if you go back over his 2015 footage , he isn't overly strong in the contest, he's no Mumford and even when he contested his followup work, it so very rarely ended up being to advantage, just lots of arms and legs flailing all over the place with no real prupose.

So what i'm really hoping to see and surely why he has been picked is to see how far is ruck and clearance work has progressed at AFL level and to see if he can have an impact on the game by having an impact around stoppages.

shrodes
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
Longer can't catch it.
He can one or two times. Hopefully he does OK this week. I reckon he knows he's on notice
And handball to a teammate a couple of metres off the mark. Every time. Hickey can at least have a kick.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
To the top wrote:Hickey took some very, very valuable marks deep in defence last week - and contested at ground level.

What I'd like to see is that Longer has improved his physical ruckwork and effective follow up work...I don't expect him to rack up Hickey like numbers for posi's or even marks (but gee it'd be good if he did)...but people go on about his big frame and bullying other rucks and creating space...but seriously...if you go back over his 2015 footage , he isn't overly strong in the contest, he's no Mumford and even when he contested his followup work, it so very rarely ended up being to advantage, just lots of arms and legs flailing all over the place with no real prupose.

So what i'm really hoping to see and surely why he has been picked is to see how far is ruck and clearance work has progressed at AFL level and to see if he can have an impact on the game by having an impact around stoppages.
He's a much bigger boy now!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

StK v Geel
Int; Dunstan, Acres, Gilbert, Minchington.
Em; Savage, Lonie, Stevens.
Steven, Longer, Minchington for Armitage, Hickey, Lonie.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:StK v Geel
Int; Dunstan, Acres, Gilbert, Minchington.
Em; Savage, Lonie, Stevens.
Steven, Longer, Minchington for Armitage, Hickey, Lonie.

Great news

ace
Saintsational Legend

Minchington IN for Lonie OUT
Ben Long retains his place ahead of Lonie.
Shane Savage and Koby Stevens miss out.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

What does Dunstan have to do to get dropped 11 possessions last week, he is slower than treacle and cant kick the clinch goals? He would have been first out IMO!

longtimesaint
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:What does Dunstan have to do to get dropped 11 possessions last week, he is slower than treacle and cant kick the clinch goals? He would have been first out IMO!
Just as well the team is picked by people who know what they are doing.

One year will be our year
Playon
Club Player

Would of liked to of seen why we recruited Stevens.

But good luck to Billy, Meatball and Long ( for second game )

And Jacks back :)

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Dunstan saved by Armo not playing I reckon.

I suspect Long will go back to Sandy after this week. Give him a taste then send him back with things to work on. Or he could have a great game and just never lose his spot !

Love is all you need
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Stanley can not get a game

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:What does Dunstan have to do to get dropped 11 possessions last week, he is slower than treacle and cant kick the clinch goals? He would have been first out IMO!
Never played VFL. Coach loves him.
Richo sees himself in Luke. Slow and stocky. Well developed thighs.

ChrisRyanSaints
Club Player

How pissed iff will Lonie be?
We will lose lonie sinclair or minchington and you can bet ya bottom dollar theyll become guns

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:

He's a much bigger boy now!
We stood behind bench at VFL last week for a smidge and Bill was resting and my wife commented on just how huge his shoulders are, and I was thinking the exact same thing. Massive. And fwiw I thought he toiled well last week despite many negative knocks.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Playon wrote:Would of liked to of seen why we recruited Stevens.

But good luck to Billy, Meatball and Long ( for second game )

And Jacks back :)
Coach of Sandy Zebs, no less, said of Koby 2 weeks ago:
" I can see why we went so hard to grab him, he's well above VFL level"

Dunstan should be "managed" or "rested" or whatever, but hell, give Koby a crack.
Year../Average Disposals../Games

Tony74 said "nobody will play every game this year, they will all be managed"
So drop Dunstan and "manage" him for Chrissake

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
dragit
Saintsational Legend

ChrisRyanSaints wrote:How pissed iff will Lonie be?
We will lose lonie sinclair or minchington and you can bet ya bottom dollar theyll become guns
I thought Lonie was pretty fortunate to be in the side in front of Minchington in the first place as he hadn't shown a lot in the pre-season. He hasn't been bad in his 4 games this year, missing a few goals probably hasn't helped his cause when you get so few opportunities as a small forward.

With two games in a row with no goals I like that they are rewarding Minch's form in the VFL.

Lonie, Sinclair & Minch's biggest problem is Gresham being so good, as there's barely room for another small forward outside of him really. Ideally we have quality mids resting in the forward line but we are a couple short at the moment.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I just hope that original Jack is over his punctured lung. The team looks better than last week though.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

dragit wrote:
ChrisRyanSaints wrote:How pissed iff will Lonie be?
I thought Lonie was pretty fortunate to be in the side in front of Minchington in the first place as he hadn't shown a lot in the pre-season. He hasn't been bad in his 4 games this year, missing a few goals probably hasn't helped his cause when you get so few opportunities as a small forward.

With two games in a row with no goals I like that they are rewarding Minch's form in the VFL.

Lonie, Sinclair & Minch's biggest problem is Gresham being so good, as there's barely room for another small forward outside of him really. Ideally we have quality mids resting in the forward line but we are a couple short at the moment.
I agree with the drag-man.
If Lonie kicked more goals, he may have been safer.
This year 3 goals 5, and in 2015 he kicked 12 G 17 B.
Needs to become more accurate to seal his spot

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SAAD
Club Player

Dunstan needs to lift this week. Koby Stevens coming for his spot if he doesn't perform. However he does do a lot of blocking so maybe he can put them on for Jack Stevens.