Paddy Whackas, enough already!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Playon
Club Player

Re: Paddy Whackas, enough already!!!!!

st.byron wrote: Then after he retired, I read an interview with him where he revealed that for the last half of his career he didn't enjoy playing, didn't enjoy footy at all. That explained a lot. The guy was doing a job he didn't enjoy or like. Sad that he kept playing in those circumstances. What club wants to have playing every week a guy who doesn't really want to be there? His interview read as a fella who loved to muck around with the boys and that element of enjoyment had been taken out of the game.
Probably more common than you think, Shane Crawford said as much on the footy show some time back about how he hated playing in his later years and mentioned than many players do,
For some it would be that I've had enough but i'll never get the opportunity to earn these dollars again, You have to be lucky to get a job in the media and would you really want to coach if you've had enough? even then theres slim chances. So its off to the real world to try and get a normal job on far less money
So make hay while the sun shines.

There's nothing to say these players dont put in every week or try to do their best

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Bloody hell, I've also played footy and cricket at a reasonably high level years ago, big deal !

Was listening to Chris Scott and Alan Richo on 360 last night, Chris Scott commented how much harder it is for a key forward in the early stages of his career compared to a similar mid type player, chances are the key forward type will come up against an experienced strong bodied type back whereas the young midfield type can be placed on a similarish mid/half forward/half back. In other words, get off his back.

I'll admit I find his second efforts and his aerobic strength mediocre at best, but let's give him some time, the basics are there, one grab mark, nice kicking action, looks to run to correct areas, etc.

citywest

stonecold wrote:Give the kid a break, he'll be a super player, just needs time and experience!!!!!
WE should never have recruited him. He has diabetes and Petrraca is better anyway.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote: Was listening to Chris Scott and Alan Richo on 360 last night, Chris Scott commented how much harder it is for a key forward in the early stages of his career compared to a similar mid type player, chances are the key forward type will come up against an experienced strong bodied type back ............
That lends more weight to the need to give him time. And as well as coming up against hardened KP defenders, will also be double / triple teamed in contests.
I noticed in Junior's report from the VFL game on Saturday that he mentioned Paddy being triple teamed every time the ball came in to a forward 50 contest.
Really hope those in the know close the game are right and he turns out to be a beauty. Too early to tell ATM. Only played 20 games.

twirlyhair
Club Player

citywest wrote:
stonecold wrote:Give the kid a break, he'll be a super player, just needs time and experience!!!!!
WE should never have recruited him. He has diabetes and Petrraca is better anyway.
Yes of course you would have far more knowledge about Him than all the coaches and doctors hey? Wouldn't we just love to see someone like you stand up to the likes of our coach and Geelongs coach and explain your thoughts. What a joke.
Last edited by twirlyhair on Tue 18 Apr 2017 9:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

citywest wrote:
Tired of people mentioning diabetes, for the record there are other players with type 1 diabetes on AFL lists. Yet its only mentioned with Paddy because he was a #1 pick
Last edited by Griggsy on Tue 18 Apr 2017 9:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

twirlyhair
Club Player

Griggsy wrote:
citywest wrote:
Tired of people mentioning diabetes, for the record there are 7 players with type 1 diabetes on AFL lists. Yet its only mentioned with Paddy because he was a #1 pick
Absolutely. It's such an obvious cop out comment from the uneducated.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

He'll be right. Just needs to play. Two more pre seasons and he'll be an absolute beast.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Stephen Theodore wrote:Bloody hell, I've also played footy and cricket at a reasonably high level years ago, big deal !

Was listening to Chris Scott and Alan Richo on 360 last night, Chris Scott commented how much harder it is for a key forward in the early stages of his career compared to a similar mid type player, chances are the key forward type will come up against an experienced strong bodied type back whereas the young midfield type can be placed on a similarish mid/half forward/half back. In other words, get off his back.

I'll admit I find his second efforts and his aerobic strength mediocre at best, but let's give him some time, the basics are there, one grab mark, nice kicking action, looks to run to correct areas, etc.
Great post, nice to see some common sense on Paddy for a change, as I've stated before, those in the know(acually involved in the game (AFL) are asking for time and patience, good enough for me!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

stonecold wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:Bloody hell, I've also played footy and cricket at a reasonably high level years ago, big deal !

Great post, nice to see some common sense on Paddy for a change, as I've stated before, those in the know(acually involved in the game (AFL) are asking for time and patience, good enough for me!!!!!
And me

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Remember when Goddard debuted, same season as Jarrod Brennan, I was at the Gabba when Brennan debuted, I think the Easter game against the Maggies, he played a ripper game, and I remember thinking "Je*us, how goods this guy going to be" especially when Goddard took some time to get going. Of course history will now tell us Goddards career was/is far superior to Brennan( who had a very serviceable, if inconsistent career) I'll go for a similar scenario with Petracca/McCartin. The big boy will just take some time, similar to Hawkins from Cats ( I sincerely hope anyway )

The Recruit
Club Player

Paddy will be a great player for the saints.
Patience is needed....the hysteria is just stupid from saints supports and commentators.

He is a good kid with football talent and a willingness to keep working hard.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why do you suggest he has a willingness to work hard?

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:I've no doubt he suffered a debilitating brain injury in the Gia collision. It happened right in front of me and my daughter. She was only 11 at the time and she was genuinely distressed by it, especially the crunching sound of the hit. I posted on here when I first came on that Kosi showed very worrying physical symptoms for at least three years after it. having worked a bit with ABI victims, I couldn't help feeling he was in a similar boat.

A lot of ABI's aren't devastatingly debilitating and have subtle, but significant effects on the person. In elite sport, you only need a drop in efficiency of around 5% to be noticeably less able than you were. In ordinary, everyday life, this deficiency
can be absorbed without too much difference to your functioning, but not in a sport as brutal as AFL. I think, watching Kosi post incident, his mood was affected, as well as his cognition, awareness and alertness. All classic signs of the effects of ABI. No wonder he didn't enjoy the latter half of his career. There is a certain amount of post traumatic stress that also goes with it.

Some people find it impossible to get in a car again after a bad accident. Some people don't like crowds after being assaulted. Even if the effect is subconscious, which it often is, it can still be very debilitating. I worked with a lot of coppers who were like that. I have some of those traits as well, having been badly flogged in a brawl as a young detective, resulting in a fractured skull, nose and cheekbone. I reckon it changed me. Some on here would say I'm still badly affected! It shows in some intemperate and impulsive posts, particularly when there is a perceived threat. That should be ridiculous as this is merely an Internet forum, but it shows the insidious effect of head trauma. I fear Kosi went through something similar. What a shame. A champion bloke and potential champion footballer, who had a lot of the joy in his life snatched away by a spineless sniper. Football's version of the one punch serious assault/manslaughter.
Thanks WW. A very thoughtful post

Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Stephen Theodore wrote:
stonecold wrote:

And me
Me too

Always loyal
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I've no doubt he suffered a debilitating brain injury in the Gia collision. It happened right in front of me and my daughter. She was only 11 at the time and she was genuinely distressed by it, especially the crunching sound of the hit. I posted on here when I first came on that Kosi showed very worrying physical symptoms for at least three years after it. having worked a bit with ABI victims, I couldn't help feeling he was in a similar boat.

A lot of ABI's aren't devastatingly debilitating and have subtle, but significant effects on the person. In elite sport, you only need a drop in efficiency of around 5% to be noticeably less able than you were. In ordinary, everyday life, this deficiency
can be absorbed without too much difference to your functioning, but not in a sport as brutal as AFL. I think, watching Kosi post incident, his mood was affected, as well as his cognition, awareness and alertness. All classic signs of the effects of ABI. No wonder he didn't enjoy the latter half of his career. There is a certain amount of post traumatic stress that also goes with it.

Some people find it impossible to get in a car again after a bad accident. Some people don't like crowds after being assaulted. Even if the effect is subconscious, which it often is, it can still be very debilitating. I worked with a lot of coppers who were like that. I have some of those traits as well, having been badly flogged in a brawl as a young detective, resulting in a fractured skull, nose and cheekbone. I reckon it changed me. Some on here would say I'm still badly affected! It shows in some intemperate and impulsive posts, particularly when there is a perceived threat. That should be ridiculous as this is merely an Internet forum, but it shows the insidious effect of head trauma. I fear Kosi went through something similar. What a shame. A champion bloke and potential champion footballer, who had a lot of the joy in his life snatched away by a spineless sniper. Football's version of the one punch serious assault/manslaughter.
Thanks WW. A very thoughtful post
+1

Thoughtful and honest.

Thanks for sharing.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
citywest

twirlyhair wrote:
citywest wrote:
Yes of course you would have far more knowledge about Him than all the coaches and doctors hey? Wouldn't we just love to see someone like you stand up to the likes of our coach and Geelongs coach and explain your thoughts. What a joke.
It's just my opinion twirly so why are you getting all in a huff?

citywest

twirlyhair wrote:
Griggsy wrote:
citywest wrote:
Tired of people mentioning diabetes, for the record there are 7 players with type 1 diabetes on AFL lists. Yet its only mentioned with Paddy because he was a #1 pick
You're the uneducated twirly. This is a forum so if you cannot handle other people's opinions bugger off to another website.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Pity some posters dont follow their own advice.

stonecold
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:Pity some posters dont follow their own advice.
Indeed!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Darth Vader
Club Player

All I know is what the experts keep telling us:
1. In general, players take 60 odd games to get right at AFL level. Sure there are exceptions but that's the point - they're exceptions.
2. Big guys take longer.
Paddy's a big guy who has played only 19 games with multiple interruptions and no continuity. Give him time.

twirlyhair
Club Player

citywest wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:
Griggsy wrote:
citywest wrote:
You're the uneducated twirly. This is a forum so if you cannot handle other people's opinions bugger off to another website.

Oohs ouch city boy! Not sure if my comment was specifically directed at you, but if the cap fits....;)

ace
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:
citywest wrote:
Tired of people mentioning diabetes, for the record there are other players with type 1 diabetes on AFL lists. Yet its only mentioned with Paddy because he was a #1 pick
You have only mentioned Paddy too.
Who are the others? Please name them.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... h_diabetes

Australian rules football[edit]
Nathan Bassett, Adelaide, type 1.[6]
Jamie Cripps, St Kilda and West Coast, type 1.[7]
Jack Fitzpatrick, Melbourne, Hawthorn type 1.[8]
Brandon Jack, Sydney, type 1.[9]
Paddy McCartin, St Kilda, type 1.[10]
Sam Reid, Western Bulldogs and Greater Western Sydney, type 1.[6]
Dale Weightman, Richmond, type 1.[6]

Not many really. I don't know if that is an under-represented proportion of type 1 compared to the general population. You suspect some of the challenges it provides physically to become a pro-athlete would make it so. But it also shows those who are prepared to push through barriers to achieve what they want. Perseverance is a huge trait of champions.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Marngrook just gave paddy a huge wrap. Commented that he has 20 games under his belt give him time

#1 Ryder fan