Hawks 1st round pick watch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

markp wrote:
Effectively, he could not have said no.

I remember Ball, Max, Roo crying after losing games.

Funny that you went and cried to the mods about being called a dill.. didn't you post something about school prefect types the other day?

And really sad that calling someone a dill is deemed deserving of a warning (then having it edited out like something truly vile was said).
Damned if we warn and damned if we don't. Where exactly is the line?
Agree it's a very soft warning. Agree I /we don't always get the balance exactly right. Can't please everyone.
Am very wary of giving warnings for something like calling someone a dill as it sets a pretty tight precedent. Maybe I got it wrong this time, especially as there was content after that setting out the poster's knowledge.
By the book though, it's a rule breach. By the book is not necessarily the best way to go though IMO. Context, history, humour all need to be taken into account. Happy to accept that was a very soft warning and in this case a PM to the poster would have been better.

Saintmatt, apologies.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

nice work everyone

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

What are the odds the Hawks try to get back their first pick by offering us
a couple of their stars?

longtimesaint
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:What are the odds the Hawks try to get back their first pick by offering us
a couple of their stars?
Who would we want? They don't have many with any currency and can't think of any that would be worth more than a second round pick.
Many of their players played above themselves when their core of Hodge, Mirchell, Lewis etc were at their peak.

One year will be our year
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:What are the odds the Hawks try to get back their first pick by offering us
a couple of their stars?
6% or 1/17.

Their first pick has gone.

They will try and trade their way back in to the first round - no doubt. But they have 16 other options to do that.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
Spinner wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Do not agree

Two first round picks possibly top 10 picks, sets you up for a decade. Take them to the draft and if you want a free agent get one you don't have to trade for eg rocky.

Rocky and two top 10 picks is the go vs 1 dusty or Fyfe

Such a narrow minded, risk adverse approach. Dusty or Fyfe is a no brainer for pick 1. People cannot remove the romance and over exaggerated hope that comes with draft picks. Every year on average 4 out of the top 10 are duds, traded, don't live up to any expecatation.

Having top picks are great - but being to scared to trade is not.
You know they're free agents right, so no need to give up anything? You could theoretically get both for "free" (I.e. No picks exchanged) if you had the cap space.

Only if their clubs don't match the offer which you'd reckon there was sweet fa chance of happening so we'd have to trade and they would demand both picks

Unlike a rocky who arguably you could get under Fa without trading as Bris would get first round compo and would be satisfied with that you'd reckon

#1 Ryder fan
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

They are no longer a destination club. That is for certain.
Mitchell and JOM will be privately regretting their decisions.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:They are no longer a destination club. That is for certain.
Mitchell and JOM will be privately regretting their decisions.
And pretty soon they'll be regretting JOM big time. Spent the bank on an injury bust (too early to say for sure but his history aint great), their core heading or already the wrong side of 30 and they spent draft picks needed when it's time for a re-build.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Keep the 2 x Top 12 picks to pick highly skilled MIDFIELD running players that ideally have speed great evasive skills and kick well - ability to win 1 on 1 contests important and ability to rip it from a pack a bonus

Free Agency - AT NO COST OF DRAFT PICKS JUST SALARY CAP ROOM:

Tom Rockliff (Brisbane Lions) - an accumulator that would fit straight into Richo's hard at it pressure game plan with leadership experience

Jasper Pittard (Port Adeaide) - creative running half back would be free agent after 8 years as not in Port's top 9 or 10 top paid players

Strong whispers:

- Dusty will stay a Tiger (never really wanted to leave, excited about their progress and will get $1m p/a x 5 years at Richmond)
- Fyfe is "signed" or under agreement SUBJECT to 8 wins this year during their re-build (2 down and 6 out of 18 games to go)

Now having said that re Fyfe with a nod and a wink, the Saints do recall that they had "signed" a certain R. Lyon on with terms agreed and just some ink required and then it all disappeared ... so 8 wins or not, we shall give a strong pitch pre that final signature, but it is unlikely.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
kalsaint
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote:Hawks percentage looking putrid

Top 10 pick almost a certainty from here...
and top 5 pick is really looking very much on the cards..
Needs to be. We handed over pick 10 last year.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Next week will finish them off.
Only if the Eagles learn how to win in Melbourne. On paper its a given. Reality ????????? Not sure.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

kalsaint
Club Player

saynta wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
loris wrote:In hindsight, moving both Mitchell & Lewis on at the same time might have done untold damage to the culture of the 'Family Club'.
Players like Burgoyne, Gibson, maybe Cyril and even Hodge, may query is it worth busting our gut out for this Club, they will possibly ditch us at the end of this season even if we don't want to go.

Yes they are an aging & slowing list, but when you weaken the bonding/culture at a club cracks start to appear. Makes it harder for players to digest when the Club gets rid of respected teammates to free up salary space to overpay players from other Clubs.

Hope they keep disintegrating as their first round draft pick is looking better for us with every game.
Loris, did you see Benny Mac walking off the ground in tears today? It was the only thing that put a (small) dent in my glee.

I think they've done untold damage to their club. A little too clever by half. And yes, I know they have their premiership cups to hug at night ...
Stuff him. He left, got to play in a premiership side.
Teach him a bit of humility.
Was the clubs choice not his although he did accept it.

kalsaint
Club Player

saynta wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
loris wrote:In hindsight, moving both Mitchell & Lewis on at the same time might have done untold damage to the culture of the 'Family Club'.
Players like Burgoyne, Gibson, maybe Cyril and even Hodge, may query is it worth busting our gut out for this Club, they will possibly ditch us at the end of this season even if we don't want to go.

Yes they are an aging & slowing list, but when you weaken the bonding/culture at a club cracks start to appear. Makes it harder for players to digest when the Club gets rid of respected teammates to free up salary space to overpay players from other Clubs.

Hope they keep disintegrating as their first round draft pick is looking better for us with every game.
Loris, did you see Benny Mac walking off the ground in tears today? It was the only thing that put a (small) dent in my glee.

I think they've done untold damage to their club. A little too clever by half. And yes, I know they have their premiership cups to hug at night ...

kalsaint
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:
saynta wrote:
stonecold wrote:It will be traded anyway, but the better the pick, the more currency!!!!!!
I doubt that we would trade away the no 1 pick. Or are we that stupid?
depends - i'd trade them both for Martin or Fyfe if needed.
Nah keep the quality youth coming as we improve the opportunity wont be available and we risk more senior trades in 5-7 years so we could fall quickly too if we don't persist with youth now.

kalsaint
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:Do not agree

Two first round picks possibly top 10 picks, sets you up for a decade. Take them to the draft and if you want a free agent get one you don't have to trade for eg rocky.

Rocky and two top 10 picks is the go vs 1 dusty or Fyfe
+1

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:Hawks percentage looking putrid

Top 10 pick almost a certainty from here...
and top 5 pick is really looking very much on the cards..
Needs to be. We handed over pick 10 last year.

Don't forget we got two 2nd rounders as well...which resulted in long and battle

#1 Ryder fan
stonecold
SS Life Member

Don't want Rocky, he's bad news, happy to keep picks, will be determined by what numbers they are, what other clubs come up with etc, lots of factors in play, either way, we are in a wonderful position!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Keep the 2 x Top 12 picks to pick highly skilled MIDFIELD running players that ideally have speed great evasive skills and kick well - ability to win 1 on 1 contests important and ability to rip it from a pack a bonus

Free Agency - AT NO COST OF DRAFT PICKS JUST SALARY CAP ROOM:

Tom Rockliff (Brisbane Lions) - an accumulator that would fit straight into Richo's hard at it pressure game plan with leadership experience

Jasper Pittard (Port Adeaide) - creative running half back would be free agent after 8 years as not in Port's top 9 or 10 top paid players

Strong whispers:

- Dusty will stay a Tiger (never really wanted to leave, excited about their progress and will get $1m p/a x 5 years at Richmond)
- Fyfe is "signed" or under agreement SUBJECT to 8 wins this year during their re-build (2 down and 6 out of 18 games to go)

Now having said that re Fyfe with a nod and a wink, the Saints do recall that they had "signed" a certain R. Lyon on with terms agreed and just some ink required and then it all disappeared ... so 8 wins or not, we shall give a strong pitch pre that final signature, but it is unlikely.
I like this with a couple of options.

Rocky - free agent, and maybe a sweet heart deal of swapping late round picks.
Hawthorn's pick on best player in draft.
Our first rounder on Lauchie Whitfield (probably needs some more sugar)
And I know people will scream but Titch Edwards from Tigers free agent.
Not a gun but has pace to burn and a racking kick, I just think he'd fit our team as an outside runner who costs us very little.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BTW, best title and OP of a thread I have read in a long time!
It's sure to stand the test of time and be here season long.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
markp wrote:

Funny that you went and cried to the mods about being called a dill.. didn't you post something about school prefect types the other day?

And really sad that calling someone a dill is deemed deserving of a warning (then having it edited out like something truly vile was said).
Agree it's a very soft warning. Agree I /we don't always get the balance exactly right. Can't please everyone.
Am very wary of giving warnings for something like calling someone a dill as it sets a pretty tight precedent. Maybe I got it wrong this time, especially as there was content after that setting out the poster's knowledge.
By the book though, it's a rule breach. By the book is not necessarily the best way to go though IMO. Context, history, humour all need to be taken into account. Happy to accept that was a very soft warning and in this case a PM to the poster would have been better.

Saintmatt, apologies.
:roll:

So, calling someone a dill is now okay.

What about calling someone a moron?

I would have thought the rules prevented any personal attack. Not so evidently.

Then u compond your error by apologising.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 20 Apr 2017 3:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
saynta wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:

Of course he accepted it. Every footballer has a right to say no. The big sook said yes.

Evidently Clarko tried to move on a few others as well as Mitchell anf Lewis.

They said NO.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

It makes next week's clash even more important. Apart from the four points, we can improve our draft position and hopefully break the dorks resolve completely. Imagine if they are 0-6. Hopefully they then throw the towel in for the year and start experimenting and investing in youth, etc. unfortunately, there's nothing in it for them in terms of tanking, as we'd be the only beneficiary of that, but they may be aiming at pick 19. If we can effectively end their finals aspirations for the year, we should start circling in anticipation of the fire sale that will surely follow. Who would you target for a trade from the 0-4thorn?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
st.byron wrote:
markp wrote:

Saintmatt, apologies.
:roll:

So, calling someone a dill is now okay.

What about calling someone a moron?

I would have thought the rules prevented any personal attack. Not so evidently.

Then u compond your error by apologising.
Like I said, can't please everyone. There will be people reading I'm guessing who feel a warning in that context was over the top and happy that I said so.
It's all about context. Calling someone a dill is hardly an earth shattering insult. But yes, it's derogatory and by the book, against the rules.
The best course of action, in hindsight, would have been to send Saintmatt a PM letting him know he'd stepped over the line and a PM to yourself letting you know that had been done. Everyone would have probably been satisfied with that and we'd move on.
Moderating, IMO, is not about just about strictly applying the rules. The post needs to be considered in context and the history of the poster needs to be considered. Sometimes, it's just a clear warning, sometimes there's grey and it's not just B&W.
In this case, on reflection, I felt I was a bit hasty and zealous. Didn't give due consideration because I did it when in a hurry. When I looked at his post and use of "dill" again, he did back it up with some decent arguments and didn't just play the man. And it was at the very soft end of the spectrum of possible insults.

The reason I backtracked is because I'm wary of setting a precedent of warning for every minor slight. Trying to find a balance with that.
Clearly, this is not my finest hour as a mod. Sorry. I'm human and vulnerable to stuffing up from time to time.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:It makes next week's clash even more important. Apart from the four points, we can improve our draft position and hopefully break the dorks resolve completely. Imagine if they are 0-6. Hopefully they then throw the towel in for the year and start experimenting and investing in youth, etc. unfortunately, there's nothing in it for them in terms of tanking, as we'd be the only beneficiary of that, but they may be aiming at pick 19. If we can effectively end their finals aspirations for the year, we should start circling in anticipation of the fire sale that will surely follow. Who would you target for a trade from the 0-4thorn?
I'm pretty sure their second round pick is GWS's, they traded theirs for Mitchell or something

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:It makes next week's clash even more important. Apart from the four points, we can improve our draft position and hopefully break the dorks resolve completely. Imagine if they are 0-6. Hopefully they then throw the towel in for the year and start experimenting and investing in youth, etc. unfortunately, there's nothing in it for them in terms of tanking, as we'd be the only beneficiary of that, but they may be aiming at pick 19. If we can effectively end their finals aspirations for the year, we should start circling in anticipation of the fire sale that will surely follow. Who would you target for a trade from the 0-4thorn?
0-4thorn. :) Who do they have you consider to be worthy trade bait?