Saint Nick 2018!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saint Nick 2018!!!!!

If Harvey played in 09 instead of Eddy

We might be content as a supporter group

saint3d
Club Player

If we're going to dump Roo, shouldn't we do it now so we can get games into a kid? Or should we let him win one last AA and B&F first?

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Harvs was an out and out champion.....but....

If Harvey is still around in 2009, then we don't have Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna and Goddard become All-Australians. It took Harvey finishing up for these guys to step up and take the responsibility to lead the midfield.

Roo has already taken this step, by moving to the midfield, he's not stifling any development of our key forwards. If Roo didnt have the capabilities to play up the ground, and was keeping a spot from Bruce or Membrey or Paddy, then he would probably draw the curtains earlier (or we would exit him out!).

StPeter
Club Player

So would Harvey have been more of a liability than McQualter and Eddy in those games?

We might have actually won them!

StPeter
Club Player

I have never heard so much rubish to dump Roo, our best and most valuable player.

Let the guys earn their place.

stonecold
SS Life Member

StPeter wrote:I have never heard so much rubish to dump Roo, our best and most valuable player.

Yeah +1, some posters like to eat their own on here!!!!!

But, trying to finish Roo up, is bitting off more than they can chew, let him finish when he decides, he's more than earnt that right, particularly whilst his form is as good as it is, also younger guys have to earn their chances!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
shrodes
SS Life Member

I can see it from many perspectives. Roo is a champion and still a gun. But the thought of him ending his career as it looked he did in round 1 makes me ill.
He deserves a proper send off, not a stretcher. Hopefully he will know when the time is right.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The amount of rubbish posted on this forum as fact is unbelievable.

stonecold
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:The amount of rubbish posted on this forum as fact is unbelievable.
Indeed!!!!!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
st.byron wrote:
citywest wrote:For the good of the team I hope he retires at the end of this year. This is his 17th year and his body is finished.
Citywest, you do post some things that appear to bear no relation to facts. The above for example. His body is finished? Have you watched him this year? On what basis do you say his body is finished?
Both of his knees are ticking time bombs Byron.
Why did you ignore the rest of my post?????
But apart from that, the sooner St Kilda get used to playing without him the sooner we will the premiership. I know a lot of people are again going to call me a troll and ban the f***wit but I stick by what I am saying.
and also.....
I wanted Harvey to retire a year earlier than he did. Lo and behold, as soon as he retired we played in 3 grand finals in a row.

Yep I saw that and understand the perspective of getting used to being without him. I chose not to buy into that one.

You stated as fact that his body is finished. Clearly that's not true. He's performances this year make it clear that's absolutely not the case. Big difference between having knees that need management and being finished.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Nick and the Club will know when it's time to go, none of us, that's for sure, but, at present everything is tracking well, touch wood!!!!!

One thing we do know is this, he's one serious injury away from the end, so let's bloody hope he stays fit and healthy for a long as possible!!!!!

Vazelos
Club Player

citywest wrote:
Vazelos wrote:You want to retire Nick Riewoldt on what premise?
His form? It's elite still.
His age? If we are in the premiership window soon and his form is elite why would you rid yourself of an elite player?
We let another Tasmanian go at the end of 1970 that cost us a flag.
His performances thus far have been outstanding so for mine he plays on in 2018.
I wanted Harvey to retire a year earlier than he did. Lo and behold, as soon as he retired we played in 3 grand finals in a row. :idea:
Not quite sure that was the best decision either, his form was good to very good in 2008, may have rather Harvey running around in 2009 GF than Mc Qualter & Eddy.

Vazelos
Club Player

Riewoldt was All Australian last year in my opinion and has been his normal brilliant self this year. This is not even worth debating.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
StPeter wrote:I have never heard so much rubish to dump Roo, our best and most valuable player.

But, trying to finish Roo up, is bitting off more than they can chew, let him finish when he decides, he's more than earnt that right, particularly whilst his form is as good as it is, also younger guys have to earn their chances!!!!!
Seriously? Roo gets to decide when he retires? I didn't realise it was the Riewoldt Football Club. No player is bigger than the club. What if he wants to play on for 7 more years? You don't let the inmates run the asylum. And that is disrespectful to Roo. He would be the first one to say if the club feels its better in the long run for him to go, then he should be cut.

There is only one question that should be asked - does Roo playing on help our flag tilt. My issue with Rooboy is he so dominate on the field, covering so much ground that he inhibits other players. When he plays a midfield/wing/halfback type role a fair bit, we actually need better kicking and more run in that position which we could develop playing guys like White, Rice, Mckenzie even Phillips. When he gets used forward he can keep Paddy or Battle or Marshall out of the team - two weeks in a row Paddy is out now going back to kick-it-to-roo. How many premierships did that approach get us even with a blue ribbon midfield and All Aussies all over the field?

stonecold
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:Nick and the Club will know when it's time to go, none of us, that's for sure, but, at present everything is tracking well, touch wood!!!!!

One thing we do know is this, he's one serious injury away from the end, so let's bloody hope he stays fit and healthy for a long as possible!!!!!
Re-Read this post B-man!!!!!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 4f3c1d624c

St Kilda head of football Jamie Cox said the club was “totally” keen to sign Riewoldt and Montagna.

“It is probably one their representatives will bring to the table first but if they don’t the middle of the season is where we sit,’’ he said.

“They are going all right, aren’t they? The end can come sooner than players want but no one is planning the end for those players, including themselves.

“Nick just keeps presenting himself year in and year out in better nick. He has completely re-engineered his body to the demands of playing a role more so up the field but manages to be a real handful when he goes forward.

______
He also speaks of list management

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
wasoncestkil58
Club Player

Nick Reiwoldt is a once in a generation player to a club.
Let Nick choose his future.

Legendary
Club Player

Nick is probably the greatest athlete ever to play AFL football.

He is a legend of the St Kilda Football Club and in the top dozen players of his generation (2000 - now).

He can play until he's 40 if that's what he wants.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 4f3c1d624c

St Kilda head of football Jamie Cox said the club was “totally” keen to sign Riewoldt and Montagna.

“It is probably one their representatives will bring to the table first but if they don’t the middle of the season is where we sit,’’ he said.

“They are going all right, aren’t they? The end can come sooner than players want but no one is planning the end for those players, including themselves.

“Nick just keeps presenting himself year in and year out in better nick. He has completely re-engineered his body to the demands of playing a role more so up the field but manages to be a real handful when he goes forward.

______
He also speaks of list management
I read that article and there are so many spelling mistakes I carnt beilieeve itt.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:If Harvey played in 09 instead of Eddy

We might be content as a supporter group
Considering Eddy didn't play in the 09 grand final I struggle to see the point of this.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
citywest

Bluthy wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Seriously? Roo gets to decide when he retires? I didn't realise it was the Riewoldt Football Club. No player is bigger than the club. What if he wants to play on for 7 more years? You don't let the inmates run the asylum. And that is disrespectful to Roo. He would be the first one to say if the club feels its better in the long run for him to go, then he should be cut.

There is only one question that should be asked - does Roo playing on help our flag tilt. My issue with Rooboy is he so dominate on the field, covering so much ground that he inhibits other players. When he plays a midfield/wing/halfback type role a fair bit, we actually need better kicking and more run in that position which we could develop playing guys like White, Rice, Mckenzie even Phillips. When he gets used forward he can keep Paddy or Battle or Marshall out of the team - two weeks in a row Paddy is out now going back to kick-it-to-roo. How many premierships did that approach get us even with a blue ribbon midfield and All Aussies all over the field?
Post of the year so far!!!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

That moment you realise you that you are now linked with City West....

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Thank you for the question without notice.

Succinctly Madame Speaker

Bluthy has become the Hon Peter Dutton of ZZ

Congratulations are in order.

he / she / it has expanded on from being just the lunchtime legend
who shot lennydaze whilst leg ironed and hog tied
after bursting onto the scene by having Carlise committed to rehab.for the duration of his natural life.

Prime Ministership material !!!

.... a Country Member.
Shirley.

ps
.... tony says hi
(he's so proud)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
23Buckets

Roo should definitely play on next year. Heard a someone say this week that he is worth three to four wins himself a year in any team. Which I completely agree with. There is a strong possibility that we don't even make finals without him.

Winmar
Club Player

If we want to play finals he should play on. He's still well and truly in the best 22. He has bad knees, but he has had them for years.