Kicking for goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kicking for goal

Jason Heatley can barely speak English but does know how to drink, smoke and gamble

Yes he'd be good for coaching the young guys, it's as easy as saying just kick it like me?!

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:Don't change their kicking action at all. Simply tell them to ignore the goal posts and just kick to a spot behind the goals that they pick out. If they are good enough to kick the ball to a position then they will slot it.
I don't think set-shot kicking for goal is as simple as that. Normally when a player is passing the ball they are on the run or run around off the mark but a set shot is more like just a high kick into your forward line. They are not passing it to someone in the crowd at all. They need a routine like Huddo did with Loewe to straighten him up. The ball drops needs to be as close to the boot as possible.

yes there are fundamentals like point your toe to where you are kicking and kick with momentum moving forward BUT the low ball drop doesn't work for everyone - depends on flexibility of hip etc ... the straight approach (i prefer this myself) doesn't work for everyone because some have natural hooks and some have natural slides over 40m+, so the key is to have the players translate their normal kicking style into a set shot routine.

I have had success coaching goal kicking by telling them to IGNORE the goal posts and just kick the ball to a target behind the goals in a RELAXED manner - like the old days when they played kick to kick - amazing how quickly they start slotting them rather than spraying them / hooking them / sliding them. Think back ... when playing kick to kick ... how often did you really spray one wide of you had a good field kicking technique?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Having said that - when I set up for a shot at goal I do lean forward to bring the ball closer to reduce ball drop error and I also line up and move in a straight line to my target AND i keep the ball steady over my kicking foot AND never lean back on the kick ... but I had thousands of set shots and was taught the technique by Bob Beecroft (arranged by Ron Alexander my ruck coach) ... but that technique suited my kick.

The key was that FIRST they examined my natural "kick to kick" technique and built my goal kicking routine around that.

In fact, a few weeks ago I demonstrated the technique to some under 12 players and from 30-35m out slotted 8 of 10 with one hitting the post.

Because of hours and hours of endless practice in my teens I can still do it in my 50s ... even if I have lost some distance over time.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Thread Update

Saints 2017 score card

Jack Billings career score card