Acres

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Acres

supersaints wrote:Oops that was I'll get yelled down for this... bloody preemptive text
The man who invented predictive text died today. His funnel is next Monkey moaning.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
White Winmar wrote: Mr. Leonard Hayes esquire.
Protocol is, if one uses 'Esquire', one drops off the 'Mr'. :wink: :wink: :wink:

The above is a very unlikely WW slip up!!!! :P
It's a fair cop, Guv'. In my defence, I would like to propose that said Leonard Hayes is such an outstanding individual, he deserves both titles. :wink: :D

loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
loris wrote:
Protocol is, if one uses 'Esquire', one drops off the 'Mr'. :wink: :wink: :wink:

It's a fair cop, Guv'. In my defence, I would like to propose that said Leonard Hayes is such an outstanding individual, he deserves both titles. :wink: :D
Now I could not argue against that my dear man, not on your nellies :wink:

Or is the saying........ not on your sweet nellies? Can't recall who uttered that, maybe Samuel Johnson, Thomas A'Beckett, William Churchill or Laura Bingle :? :? :?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
loris wrote:

Or is the saying........ not on your sweet nellies? Can't recall who uttered that, maybe Samuel Johnson, Thomas A'Beckett, William Churchill or Laura Bingle :? :? :?
It was either Bingle or Andrew O'Keefe, my dear Loris. One of those intellectual Giants. :D

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
loris wrote:

Is Laura related to Lara?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
loris
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
loris wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
loris wrote:

Is Laura related to Lara?
:oops: :oops: :oops: I knew it started with 'L', so I nearly got there BfUSA.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:
Feel like Steele will be that player that you don't always notice, but then you look closer & he's also getting the ball out into space/on the bottom of the pack
We've got a few of them already. Dunstan and to a lesser degree Ross and Armo.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

bigcarl wrote:
The_President wrote:
Feel like Steele will be that player that you don't always notice, but then you look closer & he's also getting the ball out into space/on the bottom of the pack
Forget Luke.
"Man of" got 9 tackles yesterday and still got nearly 30 disposals? Luke would never get those numbers.
The Messiah (AR) said that Steele was supposed to be more of an outside player but he happily gets down & dirty as well. He's "pleased" with the Man Of

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
The_President wrote:
Dunstan average disposals is 16.
Cannot play four quarters. Not a great accumulator.
We should have tried to trade Dunstan for Lyons but the coach loves Luke like a son.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:"Man of" got 9 tackles yesterday and still got nearly 30 disposals? Luke would never get those numbers.
20 ≠ 30

Luke has had that many touches more than 20 times in his 50 odd games so far, also had 9 tackles a couple of times.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I remember a few on here writing lenny off early in his career.

widereceiver
Club Player

saynta wrote:I remember a few on here writing lenny off early in his career.
+1...
Lenny wasn't Lenny for a long time. I don't understand why people pot these guys so early... Wait until they are Jesse White....
BAHAHAHA

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Ahh, Jesse "The great white hope", for the filth. They're screwed.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:Ahh, Jesse "The great white hope", for the filth. They're screwed.
They'll be ok once Mayne returns from the VFL lol

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintbob
SS Life Member

Both Acres and Steele will be absolute stars for this football club, you've got to remember both have played less than 30 games each.

saint-stu
Club Player

widereceiver wrote:
saynta wrote:I remember a few on here writing lenny off early in his career.
+1...
Lenny wasn't Lenny for a long time. I don't understand why people pot these guys so early... Wait until they are Jesse White....
BAHAHAHA
I never understood the fuss with Goddard for years until he came back from the knee reco. I'll never underestimate a young player again.

1ac46a38
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

citywest wrote:He will be our best mid within 2 years IMHO.
Hi Westy, you've kept your strike rate intact. So that's (yet) another successful sortie into Saintsational land. :wink:

However, I'm pretty much with you on this one.

Not sure if it'll be quite within two years (by which time the Dud will be 29), but it may well be(?) Regardless, I also reckon that it will happen. BAcres will end up our number one on-baller.

(I made a similar call on the Dud, which drew some laughter also. Turned out that call was wrong - my predicted time frame was six months too early. :wink: So maybe I should express some disappointment in your beating me to the call this time...? :lol: )

To all the Blake doubters out there... the stars, the excitement machines, the game winners, are the players who take-the-game-on. :idea:

And, as a result, they also have their share of clangers. It's part and parcel of how they play. Higher than normal risk - for a very much higher than normal reward. Buddy Franklin would probably be the best example whom I can quickly think of. How many clangers does he have?

Should Buddy curtail his game style as a result...?

And that's also how Blake plays. He takes the game on. And I love that he does! And I love that not only does he take the game on, but more and more and more... he's succeeding!. :D

Go Blake, you good thing!!! :mrgreen:

whiskers3614 wrote:Don't ever want to see him at Sandringham again!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92502&start=25#p1661368
This!!!

PS: I never miss a chance to remind people of/brag about my call re the Dud - draws attention away from a similar call I made re Spencer White. :oops: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I must be watching a different Acres.

I hear the Benny Hill theme playing every time he gets it.
This has to bea p!sstake? you seriously don't see the ability just the young mistakes?
I've been leading the 'Acres will be a gun' cheersquad for the past 2 years. But.....

Firstly, the mistakes you refer to, are the exact same mistakes he's always made. To the point, where the chronic lack of polish becomes a concern.

Not making the distance from 40m. Turning it over consistently. Fumbles. Missed targets. Missed goals.

Now I've barracked for him and still do, because of the positives - size, 'x-factor', potential......but that's it. He doesn't get it heaps, and has never, ever been negated by the opposition. For obvious reasons. Reality is, and we all know it - the reason we barrack for him is blind faith because we have absolutely no one else standing out as being any good (Gresham aside).

We're clutching.

I'm definitely not giving up on him, but gee, if tonight's game is getting people excited, I think that says more about how desperate Saints fans are than anything else.
I get that but less than 30 games.......sheesh.......
Reckon hes shown enough to indicate he will and can influence a game - yes in patches but when that consistency somes I think he'll be in oppo planning
I agree, I haven't given up hope.

But most of us are still waiting for Sam Gilbert to get the brain fades and shanks out of his game!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Acres is getting close to a breakout game. Coming very soon for all the doubters.
But....do you think that he'll be a guy that although brilliant, will always have you face palming at least twice a week?

I get that feeling from him. Which worries me.
My feeling is he could be a 25 possession a game line breaking mid... if he can do that consistently I'd be okay if he shanks one or two a game

I hope you're right - but currently, his Sam Gilbert esque' clanger count is concerning.

Some guys, in fact plenty, never get them out of their game. If it's happening because they're inexperienced or not yet physically mature enough to do what they're trying to do - then time will usually cure it.

The howlers that Acres makes week in, week out, don't seem to be caused by the above. That's the only concern.

To the top
SS Life Member

We get the opinions that Gilbert and Acres are crap because they butcher every disposal and gift goals to our opposition.

But Geary is (and always has been) great.

Fair dinkum!!!

Some on here have absolutely no idea.

"Meatball" forever.

Wooden Spooner's forever!!!!!

BOTH Gilbert and Acres are CLASS footballers - and CLASS acts.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I hope you're right - but currently, his Sam Gilbert esque' clanger count is concerning.

Some guys, in fact plenty, never get them out of their game. If it's happening because they're inexperienced or not yet physically mature enough to do what they're trying to do - then time will usually cure it.

The howlers that Acres makes week in, week out, don't seem to be caused by the above. That's the only concern.
You do realise that the very best mids in the comp have more clangers per disposal than Billings & Acres did on the weekend?

Dangerfield has 6 from every 31
Fyfe & Martin 5 from every 29

Raising Billings & Acres clanger count of 3 each as a concern seems pretty odd… two 21 YO guys who haven't even cracked 50 games yet.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:We get the opinions that Gilbert and Acres are crap because they butcher every disposal and gift goals to our opposition.

But Geary is (and always has been) great.

Fair dinkum!!!

Some on here have absolutely no idea.

"Meatball" forever.

Wooden Spooner's forever!!!!!

BOTH Gilbert and Acres are CLASS footballers - and CLASS acts.
Really?

I disagree. 'Class' is one word I would definitely not use to describe Gilbert.

Gilbert's ball sadism is what was the always the difference between him being good, and really, really good.

Really, really good players don't have the limitations that other players have. That's what separates them.

Unless Acres improves dramatically in that space (not just disposal, but decision making and general stuff ups) he won't ever be really, really good.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I hope you're right - but currently, his Sam Gilbert esque' clanger count is concerning.

You do realise that the very best mids in the comp have more clangers per disposal than Billings & Acres did on the weekend?

Raising Billings & Acres clanger count of 3 each as a concern seems pretty odd… two 21 YO guys who haven't even cracked 50 games yet.

No they didn't. The 'clanger' stat is misleading.

It doesn't include missed opportunities, it doesn't include brain farts, it doesn't include not making the distance from 40m out, it doesn't include choosing the wrong option etc. etc.

I mean, how can Billings go at 57% by foot - and only have 3 'clangers'? It doesn't really add up.

FWIW... last year:

Gilbert - Ave. 15 disposals at 78.2% Efficiency with 2.5 Clangers each week (ave.). Goal Accuracy 50%.

Geary - Ave. 15.2 disposals at 78.4% Efficiency with 1.7 Clangers each week (ave.). Goal Accuracy 42.9%.

These two are howled down and maligned for their errors and lack of skill generally. Fair enough too. Good players, very valuable in many ways - but not offensively. They're not superstars, even taking into account their fierce defensive games.

Acres - Ave. 17.8 disposals at 71.1% Efficiency with 2.1 Clangers each week (ave.). Goal Accuracy 33.3%.

Billings - Ave. 20.2 disposals at 71.1% Efficiency with 2.1 Clangers each week (ave.). Goal Accuracy 33.3%.

Now of course Acres and Billings are young, inexperienced etc. But they are far from effective with the pill. Incredible far from it. They're on par with Sam Gilbert and Jaryn Geary FFS!

As I've said, I'm not writing them off - but this talk of their high skill level and 'silkiness' is a myth in my opinion. They butcher it and make way too many errors. They can improve, and most certainly will - but they'll need to improve quite dramtically if they're to be the stars we need and that many are certain they'll be.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: You do realise that the very best mids in the comp have more clangers per disposal than Billings & Acres did on the weekend?

Confirms what I thought. The more you take the game on the more likely you are to balls something up.

Their willingness to take risks - Fyfe, Dangerfield, Martin I mean - is what makes them superstars.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote: No they didn't. The 'clanger' stat is misleading.
You referenced the clanger stat in the Billings thread to prove a point and now it's no good as a stat because it's misleading?

Dangerfield, the best player in the comp on the weekend had
9 kicks & 18 HB
Yet still only went at 63% with a 1:2 ratio
6 clangers
Goal % 0

Dustin Martin
12 kicks 4 HB @50%
6 clangers
0 goals 3 behinds

Pointing to Billings & Acres career averages at this stage is a pretty pointless exercise.

You've said from the beginning that you don't rate Billings kicking, which makes me wonder if you've ever played the game at all?

The way he kicks to where his team-mates should run is a gift and requires vision that very few players have.

Sure he's not nailing every kick and his goal kicking has been very disappointing but it will come with confidence and experience at the top level.

Acres will probably always have a few shanks… just like Fyfe, Dangerfield and Martin who take the game on and kick at full burst speed to force the ball into a scoring position from nothing.