Changes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes

Hickey got absolutely pantsed today.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Hickey got absolutely pantsed today.
Not just today, maybe i'm wrong, but, i think he's been pantsed 4 out of 4..

I thought he was an improving ruckman, he is shite at the ruck contest. WTF are we doing with ruckmen, do we have one that can win a ruck contest, can we win a center clearance now and then.. :roll: :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Agree with Con on Dunstan. Hasn't done enough to keep his spot atm. I know he's tough (goes in hard, doesn't give it up easily in a contest but you need to hurt the opposition with your disposal). Good bloke. Great leadership qualities, but if you don't get it enough or if you can't distribute the footy well enough and you're not elite in other aspects, it's time to try some others.

Dunstan is replaceble imo. Give Sinclair, Minch and Stevens a go.
Agreed.

“Yeah….nah””
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

No way is Dunstan getting dropped on that performance. Wasn't his best game, but did his job, as he does every week. negated pendlebury, stuck 7 tackles, knocked a few clear, setup billings for an easy goal, had one poor miss, and a lazy dob, and they were the only negatives. There's a reason the coach keeps playing him - because he does his job, week in, week out.
Lonie out, Stevens in, perhaps Long out for Koby.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We look to have better depth at present.

But the club needs to ensure we rotate our emerging players through the 22 when form presenats, and conversely when some in the 22 dip out they should go till forma gets them back.

Heard Armo was injured late and is sore ??

If so Stevens for Armo
Steven for Dunstan
Lonie for Minch or Sinclair

I think that Long deserves another shot, plus Cats are vulnerable against quick players.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Lonie out, Stevens in, perhaps Long out for Koby.
Make your mind up!

So you say Lonie out, Stevens in, then in the same sentence use Stevens first name and say he's out for Long?

Confused.

#jackstevennotstevensdufus!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Man Of had a team leading 9 tackles yesterday and 20 touches. Fairly impressive stuff.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Out:
HIckey - enough chances this year, not doing enough outside of ruck contests
Lonie - Needs to hit another level, isn't doing it this year.
Long - Good first game, needs to make way for others
??? - need 1 more out, can't pick it. Maybe Gilbert depending on backline structure.

In;
Longer - for Hickey. Unsure on his VFL form but JLT was better than Hickey has played in the season so far.
Minchington - Has presented well at VFL level - need to give him another look at AFL early in the season
Steven - Auto in
Stevens - Mid rotations so we can play more than 2 qtrs of footy.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Otiman wrote:Out:
??? - need 1 more out, can't pick it. Maybe Gilbert depending on backline structure.

In;
Longer - for Hickey. Unsure on his VFL form but JLT was better than Hickey has played in the season so far.
Minchington - Has presented well at VFL level - need to give him another look at AFL early in the season
Steven - Auto in
Longer's form not particularly good at VFL level.
Unlikely to make many changes after gutsy win.
Steven for Lonie and Stevens for Armo if injured.

One year will be our year
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Out:

In;
Steven - Auto in
Can't recall us or any other team dropping 4 players after a win.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

I'd still like to see Paddy back in the team, as well as Jack Steven.

Time for Lonie to have a rest, and I don't reckon the boy Long did enough to hold his spot.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Toy Saint wrote:I'd still like to see Paddy back in the team, as well as Jack Steven.

Time for Lonie to have a rest, and I don't reckon the boy Long did enough to hold his spot.
Paddy is a chance, will depend on structure, as that's the main reason reason Paddy was dropped this week.

Will depend on whether or not Richo wants to push Geelong defence size wise????

Jack will come straight in (obviously), Lonie out and Armo may struggle!!!!!

I would give Long another run, if he has pulled up ok!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Bulldogs always drop players, after wins

Let's them know they are never perfect and have room to improve, they never dwell on the last win.

It also keeps them all hungry!

Sinclair, Minchington, Steven all dominating watching Dunstan having 7 effective possessions and remain in the team must make them wonder.

Why can't Luke have a run in the vfl to see if he can actually get 30?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Need to give players at least four games in a row in the seniors to let them get used to AFL standard at the highest level. That's why I was a little disappointed that Paddy got dropped after only two games - and not full games at that.
If Armo is injured, then Koby should probably come in as we will need the bigger bodies against Geelong's midfield. Selwood and Dangerfield are awesome. If Armo is okay to play I think there shouldn't be any changes.
The school of thought that Hickey ought to be dropped need to look at the personnel of the teams we are coming up against in the next fortnight. In the next two weeks he is going to be playing against Rhys Stanley or Blicsavs, and McEvoy. I saw enough evidence yesterday to suggest that a mobile Hickey around the ground who brings the tackling pressure and who can at least mark around the ground is going to be a better option than a non-mobile, or inexperienced ruckman. Hickey should win his respective position comfortably in the next two games and I am on record as saying that we could certainly look at bringing in a second ruckman to give Hickey a chop out (but not at his expense) as Bruce is not the answer there. Personally, I like Longer in that role, but Holmes or Pierce could fit the bill too, if their VFL form warrants it. The question is; who makes way for Longer to come in? Armo for Longer is certainly not like-for-like, and Bruce and Membrey, while not kicking straight, were presenting well as forward marking options and must stay in obviously.
The coaching staff certainly need to take some responsibility for the innacurate kicking in the forward 50, and I would suggest that goal-kicking might be a focus on the track at Seaford this week. 49.69 is really poor considering we have played all of our games on pristine grounds so far with no wind to speak of. It certainly cost us the match against the Eagles. Imagine the self-belief the team would have had if we had managed to win that.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Mon 17 Apr 2017 11:42am, edited 5 times in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I was sitting above the interchange bench at yesterday's game and Armo seemed to be really struggling with injury/fitness after half time.
I would not be surprised if he didn't get up for next week.

axcellence
Club Player

Armo had to be assisted off the ground in q4 (alan press conference)

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I was sitting above the interchange bench at yesterday's game and Armo seemed to be really struggling with injury/fitness after half time.
So they play an underdone, injured trusty old player instead of giving a game to a young mid like Minch or Sincs. Jesus Richo is a deeply conservative coach. You won't win premierships being conservative - just ask Lyon. God hates a coward. Richo is so desperate for wins against these lower clubs he is putting development and the future on the back burner. Don't like it. Signed, Now Very Concerned.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I was sitting above the interchange bench at yesterday's game and Armo seemed to be really struggling with injury/fitness after half time.
So they play an underdone, injured trusty old player instead of giving a game to a young mid like Minch or Sincs. Jesus Richo is a deeply conservative coach. You won't win premierships being conservative - just ask Lyon. God hates a coward. Richo is so desperate for wins against these lower clubs he is putting development and the future on the back burner. Don't like it. Signed, Now Very Concerned.
How do you know he wasn't injured during the game?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
How do you know he wasn't injured during the game?
Coming back from a groin strain - I've heard he was very sore around the groin. Mathematics is on my side.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote:
No.1. You play an " underdone, injured trusty old player instead of giving a game to a young mid "when you know he will do the job better
No.2. You don't wim premierships in April
No. 3 Take the win, bank the 4 points and move on.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
No.1. You play an " underdone, injured trusty old player instead of giving a game to a young mid "when you know he will do the job better
Well this is where I respectfully disagree Tones. I still think development should be our main focus, and less importance on wins. Wins should be a incidental side gain out of a bold, visionary development approach. I disagree with some of the tops ups of Brown, Carlisle and Stevens and not playing some younger cats like White and Rice. Or playing Roo forward again at Paddy's expense like this week and in the last quarter against Brissy.

I worry we have got ahead of ourselves. A couple of wins is cool but I don't like the way we've got them by being conservative at the selection table. We may rue the lack of boldness in later seasons.

We've beaten the 2nd bottom team from last year and Collingwood who look all at sea with almost no structure. You take the wins for schizzle but I don't think it tells us where we are at yet. Lets see over the next few tough weeks.

#keyboardexpert

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Well this is where I respectfully disagree Tones. I still think development should be our main focus, and less importance on wins. Wins should be a incidental side gain out of a bold, visionary development approach. I disagree with some of the tops ups of Brown, Carlisle and Stevens and not playing some younger cats like White and Rice. Or playing Roo forward again at Paddy's expense like this week and in the last quarter against Brissy.

I worry we have got ahead of ourselves. A couple of wins is cool but I don't like the way we've got them by being conservative at the selection table. We may rue the lack of boldness in later seasons.

We've beaten the 2nd bottom team from last year and Collingwood who look all at sea with almost no structure. You take the wins for schizzle but I don't think it tells us where we are at yet. Lets see over the next few tough weeks.

#keyboardexpert
I don't think you can call the selection panel conservative really. I know it's your narrative, but are the facts there to support it?

Ben Long. Lonie. Billings. Acres. McCartin. Webster. Membrey. Dunstan. Steele. Ross. Gresham. Bruce. All 24 or under and none have played over 100 games. Even Hickey and Carlisle haven't played 100 games.

Footballers don't develop when they're playing alongside other kids. They develop when they're alongside seasoned players with experience and maturity who can take the heat off them slightly.

I think it would be a disaster for our development to play any more young, inexperienced players in the team at the one time.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

#keyboardexpert
I don't think you can call the selection panel conservative really. I know it's your narrative, but are the facts there to support it?

Ben Long. Lonie. Billings. Acres. McCartin. Webster. Membrey. Dunstan. Steele. Ross. Gresham. Bruce. All 24 or under and none have played over 100 games. Even Hickey and Carlisle haven't played 100 games.

Footballers don't develop when they're playing alongside other kids. They develop when they're alongside seasoned players with experience and maturity who can take the heat off them slightly.

I think it would be a disaster for our development to play any more young, inexperienced players in the team at the one time.
This is the Scheinder arguement and I don't think it holds much water. Weren't Lonie, Templeton and Sincs meant to benefit huge from pumping games into a 33 yo.? Not sure thats turned out the case.

We've got tonnes of experience - Roo, Joey, Gilbo, Armo, Geary, Brown. Then we've got a big batch in the 50-100 game mark now. The Melbourne debacle seems to have spooked some clubs and I think us, but that was an extreme circumstance where the players knew the club didn't even really want them to win games - players played out of position ridiculously - there are even rumours they were wink-winked that they weren't expected to win many games to maximise the draft pick. They had their competitive instinct completely killed by the club inferring they shouldn't win in an industry where you need an almost blood-thirsty like competitive instinct to compete. That was crossing a line you should never cross.

Our Baby saints grew up to be great footballers getting games pumped into them together as young kids. I think we needed more time at the bottom and that would have been achieved by playing more young players together which helps their bonding. Our old pants backline last year was ridiculous. I would be using this year as much more blooding of youth and having a lower ladder position to get another top pick.

Its also the type of young players you are getting games into. I would be trying my arm on the good kicking, creative youth than some of the money ball types like Weller, Savage etc. But they don't suit Richo's pressure game plan as much. So Richo's footy style will dictate who gets played obviously. That is my big concern - I'm not a huge fan of Richo's swarm style. It worked yesterday and against Brissy - but only just. The good teams I worry will brush off our swarm with their skill. Lets see.
Last edited by Bluthy on Mon 17 Apr 2017 12:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
With you on that one tony74

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
desertsaint wrote: Lonie out, Stevens in, perhaps Long out for Koby.
Make your mind up!

So you say Lonie out, Stevens in, then in the same sentence use Stevens first name and say he's out for Long?

Confused.

#jackstevennotstevensdufus!
sorry you're confused. piss poor accidentally adding an s. rookie mistake. must remember the intellect of some on here and not force those so challanged to interpret a simple spelling error. apologies.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "