Billings and mccartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billings and mccartin

Dave McNamara wrote:As for Billings.

No one (that I read anyway) on here called for Nicky Dal's cuz. I also heard (read?) that the Poodles have said that they'd have taken Billings ahead of Bontempelli.

That said, Billings looks like one of those types who will improve as the team improves around him. He also seems to very much like playing on the MCG.
http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2016/3/stk-v-coll

But best of all, neither Paddy nor Jack B are... Jack Watts. :mrgreen:
Had 28, with 5 shots for goal, and is still struggling for confidence and clarity in his head.

I look forward (and I don't think it's far away) when he is confident and clear in his head.

Really looking forward to it.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The OtherThommo wrote:

No one (that I read anyway) on here called for Nicky Dal's cuz. I also heard (read?) that the Poodles have said that they'd have taken Billings ahead of Bontempelli.

That said, Billings looks like one of those types who will improve as the team improves around him. He also seems to very much like playing on the MCG.

Had 28, with 5 shots for goal, and is still struggling for confidence and clarity in his head.

I look forward (and I don't think it's far away) when he is confident and clear in his head.

That game in 2015 against Doggies when we had that big comeback, he showed pizzazz
and dash and confidence.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Winmar
Club Player

Billings was much better today. Last week I checked the AFL app during the quarter to smcheck if he was actually playing or not. Today he was much more prominent and, with multiple shots at goal a positive sign.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:

That game in 2015 against Doggies when we had that big comeback, he showed pizzazz
and dash and confidence.
As I recalled here last week, WS, a great example of his talent was vs the same side we bested today, in the 1st 1/2 of last year. No bench by 1/2 way through the 3rd, pressure on, he goes up and back, has 30, kicks 2, incl the sealer from 50 off 1 step.

I am, OTOH, extremely frustrated by some of his recent disposal by foot. In that game at the G last year, he did not miss a target - short, medium or long.

I still think he's stuck (in his head) betwixt and between the team thing.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

He is an outside player - it's not a criticism- just a statement that's where he plays his best footy. Put him on the wing and leave him there. I don't want to see him in at centre bounces or trying to play as an inside mid.

Once he starts regularly racking up 25+ possessions a week he will start converting those shots on goal. It's all about confidence for him.

Love is all you need
Wombat15
Club Player

Very happy we finally gave Billings a run off the half back line. Looked so much more comfortable and seems to be the perfect replacement for Joey in his role. I said it in an earlier thread that I wanted to see this.
Just needs to work on his goal kicking and we will reap the rewards of drafting him at 3!

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Seriously he was average. He got more of the ball than he has been getting that's why we noticed him. A small step in the right direction.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:Seriously he was average. He got more of the ball than he has been getting that's why we noticed him. A small step in the right direction.
Average?

Dont know how we actually won.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:Seriously he was average. He got more of the ball than he has been getting that's why we noticed him. A small step in the right direction.
Maybe that's why you noticed him.

I'm tipping not everyone sees the game as you do.

Me? Glass half full type - 28 and 5 shots on goal, when clearly not in great form. Upside promising.

silverhalo
Club Player

Let me say that I think Billings will be very good in the years to come, but I did pick it...I'm not trying to be a smart arse, I'm just saying:-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83574 (Page 1)

Re: Pick 3- who will we take?
Postby Watts the Buzz » Mon 21 Oct 2013 6:13pm

If it was up to me, I'd make the unpopular choice of going with Bontempelli - a really quick tall midfielder, excellent mark, booming kick, mature body and has the X factor - just looking at footage of him, he has that touch of class and there's no doubt that it's genetic - could be at least as good as DAL in my opinion.

silverhalo
Club Player

silverhalo wrote:

Let me say that I think Billings will be very good in the years to come, but I did pick it...I'm not trying to be a smart arse, I'm just saying:-

If it was up to me, I'd make the unpopular choice of going with Bontempelli - a really quick tall midfielder, excellent mark, booming kick, mature body and has the X factor - just looking at footage of him, he has that touch of class and there's no doubt that it's genetic - could be at least as good as DAL in my opinion.
By the way, I was 'Watts the Buzz' in a previous incarnation in reference to the messiah Scott Watters who was to lead us to the Holy Grail

RODOS
Club Player

silverhalo wrote:
silverhalo wrote:

By the way, I was 'Watts the Buzz' in a previous incarnation in reference to the messiah Scott Watters who was to lead us to the Holy Grail
shameless

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:St Byron

He keeps asking me questions, I just respond?

Please point out any inappropriate language, abuse, or threats?

Has there been complaints, or is it just boring for you?? Not sure if you can abuse your position and make personal calls like that? BFUSAvp told me mods only act upon reported posts and assess if rules were broken??
Otherwise you could just act on posts you personally don't like
Perhaps delete posts???

Whilst I do agree SC continually baits me, if he questions me, sure I can respond or am allowed to defend my position??

If he fires something at me, like he did in another thread... I will reply.

BFUSA has addressed what you've written about mods only acting on reported posts, so I wont go over that.

Regarding your request to, "Please point out any inappropriate language, abuse, or threats?"

In this thread, this post of yours on page 10 constitutes a continuation of an ongoing dispute :

"Oh, you hate me... please no, not a stranger I've never met, never will... who doesn't like me...

But I need validation from you.... you're simply that important!

Question
You really have strong feelings about an anonymous person, you know nothing about... other than he's disappointed in the current output of a young key forward (and Billings whom you don't mention?)

You need to consider that... me, I don't care what you think, and really what you say
I'll debate it, because it's easy... but it doesn't bother me..

You are irrelevant to me"

The post is directed at the poster in a derogatory way and doesn't address the thread subject.
The last sentence of that post is at very least rude, insulting and a deliberate put down. Nobody writes, "You are irrelevant to me", to be warm and friendly.
And it's a continuation of a derogatory back and forth between the two of you that's been going on over multiple days on multiple threads.

That's why I included you in the warning to Stonecold about your ongoing dispute. Agree you have not been the primary protagonist in that, but you have played your part in keeping it going, as above.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Billings showed some extreme touches of class today. Almost like he owned the game and demanded to play.

He needs to do that - be that type of player that gets the ball and says f*** off i'm here!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Billings shows signs of being a very damaging player. I was impressed yesterday. Now he just needs to nail hose shots at goal.

twirlyhair
Club Player

saynta wrote:
Average?

Dont know how we actually won.
Average? Seriously? 28 touches, could have kicked 5 and had multiple inside 50s. Stood up today and will get a lot of confidence from this. He is the player we need, so let's back him in. The coach certainly is.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His kicking was really poor, he found the ball a lot.

Seem to get too close to opponents before kicking, needs to pull the trigger quicker

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

I watched the replay still don't think he was great...Just saying that this should be his benchmark . We all get excited when Jack gets the ball a bit , hasnt happened for a while where he has stood out. Many ahead of him in terms of performance last night.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

One of our most damaging players with his hard, flat kicking. We do so much up and under kicking its a relief when Jack gets it. Even if he's not landing them as much as you'd like, you see the oppo on the back foot straight away and he creates chaos with his kicks often leading to goals. Defenders don't have time to back back under it like the up and unders kicks do. His handball too are often very clever that opens things up. More please.

STill so much upside. Imagine when he gets a proper muscled AFL body and can win more of his own ball. He's probably struggling with Richo's very wearing pressure game plan giving him wobbly legs hence the inaccurate kicking. IF he can get more players around him that can actually deliver the ball to him well, instead of being under pressure all the time, he will be so damaging with his kicking

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Rubbish. He is a gun, some of the things he did were sublime. Don't underestimate his play late in the second that led to the Bruce goal that put us in front just before H/T. DIfficult mark in the centre under pressure, then before he even hit the ground onto his wrong foot for a 40 metre pass to an on the run Armitage (don't worry Armo, just keep running forward and it will land between your nipples lace up).

If he'd kicked straight for goal, he could have had 6 goals on top of his 30 possessions, playing half forward - mid. It was an ominous game from Jack, ominous for our future opponents and ominous for The Bontempelli Fanclub.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Loved the way Richo came out and backed McCartin in his Presser.

You had Mark Robinson's story in the Hun, Robbo no doubt setting up a talking point for AFL 360 and then Terry Wallace's views on SEN prior to the game. Of course Wallace was saying we should have taken Petracca. Geez he's got a hide. The man who took Deledio and that butter ball Tambling ahead of Buddy Franklin & Roughead, stuffing Richmond up for a decade. How many times has Wallace woken up in a cold sweat over that decision to be too clever by half?

Imagine if we hadn't drafted Paddy. I don't think there are many good key forwards that are gettable at the moment.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:

Me? Glass half full type - 28 and 5 shots on goal, when clearly not in great form. Upside promising.
If 28 touches and five shots on goal is his average, he'll have a stellar career. He can hit a target with either foot as well, a quality we need more, not less, of.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saint6709
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:

If 28 touches and five shots on goal is his average, he'll have a stellar career. He can hit a target with either foot as well, a quality we need more, not less, of.
If he had kicked straight and ended with 5 goals it would've been a "breakout" game and people would be raving

The_President
Club Player

He only went at 57% eff.

But he was still involved in 10 score involvement.. our second highest was Ross & Membrey with 7

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:

Went at 57%.

3 clangers and 20% goal conversion.