Carlisle quietly improving

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Carlisle quietly improving

I thought big Jakey was excellent today, and went under the radar. He stopped nearly everything that came near him and was clunking marks.

Our big weakness last year was our defence, and I believe Carlisle and Brown are definitely providing that big defensive wall we have been craving for years.

I think Carlisle, in particular, will be one of our best players by season's end. Watch this space.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Carlisle quietly improving

Talk about pleasing. So composed and such a good user. Brown is a bit better with ball in hand than I thought. Brown/Carlisle are coming along nicely

saintbob
SS Life Member

Jake was very good today, especially his 1st qtr.

Vazelos
Club Player

Totally agree with your comments.. an A Grader...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's getting better.... not setting the world on fire... but making good progress and doing enough.

What has been really good is his decision making and use

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

In a few weeks he will be established as the General of our back six. His a gun and one of the game's best key defenders.

Winmar
Club Player

He's yet to be tested against a top level forward, but so far has been very solid. He has a great presence back there and is also useful at ground level and with the ball in hand.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He's getting better.... not setting the world on fire... but making good progress and doing enough.

What has been really good is his decision making and use
And, BM, the result of that is few errors.

The thing that's pleasantly surprised me is his calmness, which is somewhat at odds with the hothead rep he had before (and mid.....LA phone pics) his arrival.

That calmness is manifesting as few losses in contests, and smart decisions when he uses it.

It's going pretty well, I reckon.

As is Brown. If Kennedy hadn't got him late in the West, he'd be regarded as a 'damn fine acquisition'.

I still think he will be - he, too, is calm, and far more athletic than he's given credit for.

I rate him for his performances on Roo in big games.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Would love for him to give Daniher a bath when we meet the Injectors.
Make them laugh on the other side of the face about the draft pick we gave for him!

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Big bloke lays a nice tackle too. Those big mitts aren't letting go once they latch on

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

He'll only get better too. I don't think you can underestimate how hard it would be after not being able to play or train with a club for a year. On top of what he and Brown offer they are allowing Roberton and Gilbert to play their true positions and both are thriving.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:He'll only get better too. I don't think you can underestimate how hard it would be after not being able to play or train with a club for a year. On top of what he and Brown offer they are allowing Roberton and Gilbert to play their true positions and both are thriving.
True, and don't forget Carlisle didn't get into the full swing until late pre-season, because of the long rehab from last year's op.

I'm actually more impressed than I thought likely.

I also found it notable how he stays close to Roo when they assemble prior to and when running out. Not quite sure about the taps on Roo's arse, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

According to Woosha their returning players have' hit the wall' or the adrenalin of returning has worn off
Good to see Jake quietly building
Last edited by saintbrat on Mon 17 Apr 2017 8:10am, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The Pinch Hitters
Club Player

I agree, the big man is finding his feet.
Really excited about what he could offer once he's fully firing.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

He's doing really well.

The fact that he is, and improving each week, also highlights the loss of Sean D.

He would be absolutely killing it IMO.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:Talk about pleasing. So composed and such a good user. Brown is a bit better with ball in hand than I thought. Brown/Carlisle are coming along nicely
On tv in the 1st quarter commentators said that Collingwood players were hopong brown would kick the footy as he was not good at it. I thought he was quite ok.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saintly wrote:
Goose is king wrote:Talk about pleasing. So composed and such a good user. Brown is a bit better with ball in hand than I thought. Brown/Carlisle are coming along nicely
On tv in the 1st quarter commentators said that Collingwood players were hopong brown would kick the footy as he was not good at it. I thought he was quite ok.
How can commentators read a player's mind?
Are they psychic?
I agree with ya, Brown is better than a lot of our guys

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Griggsy
SS Life Member

saintly wrote:
Think it was a common topic for them. A pie supporting mate said on the day we got him that he hopes I enjoy his kickingas he kicks the ball so high. Saw a couple of those loopy rainbow kicks today but overall kicking was good. we also don't rate his kicking given how he dropped the ball in the kick out after having it so long already. Roberton quick play on saved us there I think.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:According to Woodhaven their returning players have' hit the wall' or the adrenalin of returning has worn off
Good to see Jake quietly building

LOL.

The junkies just need another hit that they can't have this time.

Our Jakey Boy doesn't though - he's left that culture behind.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Looking stronger and fitter able to hold his ground better. Got his eye in yesterday having some real authority. Helped that Pies couldn't move the ball with any penetration yesterday. Those big long arms of his are fantastic for spoiling. 8 marks is starting to get up to that mark (heh heh) we would hope he could do regularly. Love his kicking - esp for a huge guy. Would love to have him and Goddard out there as Goddard is good kick too. Although Brown hasn't been as bad as I feared - did a beautiful couple of kicks yesterday.

Carlisle is basically in his prime so you'd think he should be able to keep working towards being a real force in our back half. Collingwood were weak yesterday. Next week will be a great test of his strength and fitness as Geelong are much more potent and will move the ball forward quickly and with purpose.

Saint wagga
Club Player

A couple of weeks ago there was s thread on who our 3rd best player was after roo and Steven...the make the point that we didn't have enough high quality players...perhaps carlisles best had been forgotten...but he is in his physical prime and if he finds his feet and thrives in the new environment, he certainly had the game to take that mantle as 3rd best player, but more importantly, when we talk about enough A grade elite talent, that's we traded him for, to be an elite addition ready to roll player in his prime!!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

1st time in 30 odd years that we've had a decent CHB. Too bad Fisher and Dempster gave it up

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Saint wagga wrote:A couple of weeks ago there was s thread on who our 3rd best player was after roo and Steven...the make the point that we didn't have enough high quality players...perhaps carlisles best had been forgotten...but he is in his physical prime and if he finds his feet and thrives in the new environment, he certainly had the game to take that mantle as 3rd best player, but more importantly, when we talk about enough A grade elite talent, that's we traded him for, to be an elite addition ready to roll player in his prime!!
Best you check that thread, good ol' StoneCold nominated him as our third best player, also mentioned he would become an All Australian when we recruited him, whilst 'others' clearly stated he was over-rated!!!!!

Time will tell, I think he will become our best player within the next couple of seasons!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle was n the cusp of being elite before all the doping crap started. Now he's in a stable environment and in a good culture, perhaps he will realise that enormous early promise. I have a feeling he will.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stonecold
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:Carlisle was n the cusp of being elite before all the doping crap started. Now he's in a stable environment and in a good culture, perhaps he will realise that enormous early promise. I have a feeling he will.

+1

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯