Jack Steven is OUT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

Jack Steven is OUT

Story on the Saints website! He'll be back for geelong game! The quotes from richo's presser are interesting. Talks about Seb, Luke and Acres and hopefully 'armo' taking the midfield load. I reckon if Armo is an In then Jack Steele may be rested? TOny74 did talk about a rotation of players throughout, and they are fairly like for like? I'm not convinced Armo is better than Jack Steele, I think Steele has more potential upsaide but it could be good to give him a little spell as he's played every game inc pre season since recovery from foot injury...thoughts?

longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Jack Steven is OUT

Saint wagga wrote:Story on the Saints website! He'll be back for geelong game! The quotes from richo's presser are interesting. Talks about Seb, Luke and Acres and hopefully 'armo' taking the midfield load. I reckon if Armo is an In then Jack Steele may be rested? TOny74 did talk about a rotation of players throughout, and they are fairly like for like? I'm not convinced Armo is better than Jack Steele, I think Steele has more potential upsaide but it could be good to give him a little spell as he's played every game inc pre season since recovery from foot injury...thoughts?
I can't find the story on the website.

One year will be our year
Playon
Club Player

Richo mentioned Steven wont play in his press conference

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-04- ... erence-134

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think we have room for both Steele and Armo at this stage… we're going to need all the mids we can find against collingwood.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Play both, Armo and Steele, bit early in the season to rest players yet, particularly Jack whom is finding he's feet and needs experience at this stage of he's young career!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Saint wagga
Club Player

stonecold wrote:Play both, Armo and Steele, bit early in the season to rest players yet, particularly Jack whom is finding he's feet and needs experience at this stage of he's young career!!!!!
Fair call, I really like jack Steele, big fan, but richo mentioned by name the other bigger bodies miss without mentioning Steele, could just be an oversight, but we don't want to lack too much leg speed...we could omit Lonie, savage, mccartin, billings ...I'm keen to keep playing The younger guys, and totally agree Steele has been good and continuity is very important!

As an aside, gee it'd be good to see these younger kids start accumulating 25+ posi's regularly like Seb can now do! But i guess if they all get there 20-25 and we have a very even spread of contribution that's equally good too!! If we are to press for a flag in the next coupe of years we will have a very even spread of solid players!

stonecold
SS Life Member

Saint wagga wrote:
stonecold wrote:Play both, Armo and Steele, bit early in the season to rest players yet, particularly Jack whom is finding he's feet and needs experience at this stage of he's young career!!!!!
Fair call, I really like jack Steele, big fan, but richo mentioned by name the other bigger bodies miss without mentioning Steele, could just be an oversight, but we don't want to lack too much leg speed...we could omit Lonie, savage, mccartin, billings ...I'm keen to keep playing The younger guys, and totally agree Steele has been good and continuity is very important!

As an aside, gee it'd be good to see these younger kids start accumulating 25+ posi's regularly like Seb can now do! But i guess if they all get there 20-25 and we have a very even spread of contribution that's equally good too!! If we are to press for a flag in the next coupe of years we will have a very even spread of solid players!

Yeah, fair enough, but the only real leg speed we could bring is Long and he is not ready for the mid-fielder yet, might have to overload with big bodies and go with good old blunt force trauma!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

This is not the end of the world.

Great opportunity for Acres. Take your opportunity young fella

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Recruit
Club Player

Out
Lonie
Billings

In
Long
Armo

Would be surprised if koby played I front of armo.

Paddy must be better this week.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair needs to be in the mix- too good for VFL as Gilbee said, same for Long. Steele has a way to go yet, and Armo looked ordinary in Round 1. Maybe Stevens gets a nod.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Great opportunity for Acres. Take your opportunity young fella
Yep. Grab it with both hands.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Steven out hurts us and makes this game a whole lot tougher. If Armitage comes in it has to be for Steele. We could also possibly use a bit of zip given that Steven won't be playing. Sinclair could be a shot.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm glad that they're being cautious with Steven. Miss one game with a punctured lung! Geez I know these boys are tough, but rest up young man and come back raring to go I reckon. It's not a final. Steven is a massive part of our future, and we need to treat him with respect.

Hopefully Armo comes back fully fit and ready to go. If we're to pick big bodies they need to use them in those packs. Pies have good outside run in the midfield but are suspect up fwd and back for that matter. Mid field is out weakness imo so will be interesting.

longtimesaint
Club Player

The Recruit wrote:Out
Lonie
Billings

In
Long
Armo

I don't think Billings will be dropped judging on what Richo said in the press conference.
He said that he expected him to bounce back from a poor game.
It may be just Armo in for Lonnie or Savage.

Saint wagga
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote:
The Recruit wrote:Out
Lonie
Billings

In
Long
Armo

I don't think Billings will be dropped judging on what Richo said in the press conference.
He said that he expected him to bounce back from a poor game.
It may be just Armo in for Lonnie or Savage.
I reckon this is pretty on the money. Personally I'd like to see Lonie hold his spot. Establishing as a small forward who can roll thru the middle is a tough gig and he's making a pretty good fist of it. Needs continuity imo. Savage doesn't have the luxury of age on his side, Needs to fire consistently or will slip out of our best 22

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:I'm glad that they're being cautious with Steven. Miss one game with a punctured lung! Geez I know these boys are tough, but rest up young man and come back raring to go I reckon. It's not a final. Steven is a massive part of our future, and we need to treat him with respect.

Hopefully Armo comes back fully fit and ready to go. If we're to pick big bodies they need to use them in those packs. Pies have good outside run in the midfield but are suspect up fwd and back for that matter. Mid field is out weakness imo so will be interesting.
He didn't seem too cautious this morning, basically ran around like a madman ( as per normal!! ). Not too sure about David.

longtimesaint
Club Player

tony74 wrote:
Moods wrote:I'm glad that they're being cautious with Steven. Miss one game with a punctured lung! Geez I know these boys are tough, but rest up young man and come back raring to go I reckon. It's not a final. Steven is a massive part of our future, and we need to treat him with respect.

He didn't seem too cautious this morning, basically ran around like a madman ( as per normal!! ). Not too sure about David.
From what you say it would appear that he is fit to play so it is disappointing for him to miss.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

tony74 wrote:
running round is a very different from full contact and being put on your backside countless times by people that WILL test you out
punctured lung usually means fractured rib - did he fracture a rib?

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Three outs will come from the extended bench imho.

Stevens, gilbert and savage or paddy.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Three outs will come from the extended bench imho.

Armo may not come up too.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

5 doesn't go into 3 saynta.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
saynta wrote:

5 doesn't go into 3 saynta.
Never said it did.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Have a shot at three then…

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Have a shot at three then…

What i was putting out there was that i thought it unlikely that players named in the actual team

Ie. Lonie, Billings..were less likely to get the chop than someone on the extended bench.

I would have thought that if armo is fit, the three dropping out would be Stevens, Savage and Gilbert.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
dragit wrote:Have a shot at three then…

What i was putting out there was that i thought it unlikely that players named in the actual team

Ie. Lonie, Billings..were less likely to get the chop than someone on the extended bench.

I would have thought that if armo is fit, the three dropping out would be Stevens, Savage and Gilbert.
Yeah it does seem unusual to drop players out of the starting 18, but I reckon Long will come in for Lonie…

I'd be shocked if Richo dropped both Gilbert & Savage as he's a pretty conservative cat.

Let's hope Armo is good to go.