Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Jacks Back wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:MOD EDIT <<< ...... that Tattooed Maori ....... >>>
Too much trouble, to many excuses for his waywardness.

Let him join his thug old man in Kiwi Land...
Please don't visit the sins of the father upon the son. I think a lot of the bad press around Dusty actually centres around his old man. What's the boy's crime? Loving his father and being loyal to him? Good qualities I would suggest. Imagine him being mentored by Roo and Joey, away from the rabble at Richmond. He'd blossom. Gun player. Once in a decade opportunity. Get him, I say. We'll worry about the details once he's in our colours. He will be the cherry on top of the cake, we so desperately need. At the moment, at Richmond, he's a cherry on top of a compost heap.
There was something about chopsticks and a woman.
Turned out to be a total beat up. My point in a nutshell.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
White Winmar wrote:

Please don't visit the sins of the father upon the son. I think a lot of the bad press around Dusty actually centres around his old man. What's the boy's crime? Loving his father and being loyal to him? Good qualities I would suggest. Imagine him being mentored by Roo and Joey, away from the rabble at Richmond. He'd blossom. Gun player. Once in a decade opportunity. Get him, I say. We'll worry about the details once he's in our colours. He will be the cherry on top of the cake, we so desperately need. At the moment, at Richmond, he's a cherry on top of a compost heap.

Playon
Club Player

To be in the market

1 mill for Dusty
1.5 mill for Fyfe

Something that always seems to be forgotten

FA
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-06/y ... gency-list

Or

Shiel which may be our best option but still doubtful, cant see him moving, but hope I'm wrong
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-06/a ... ant-of-all

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
White Winmar wrote:

What about consorting with heavy duty crims?
And yes I do realise consorting is no longer a criminal offence!

SMS
Club Player

We are getting fyfe. We will pay $1.6m a year. Just hope we structure it right. We should be excited hes the best player in the comp.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Fyfe with a lazy 38 possessions - 7 marks - 6 tackles - 2 goals - in JLT3

I guess you could say he is over his leg issues

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

No to Fyfe (won't leave Fremantle) - is just trying to improve his deal.

No to Martin. A cultural time bomb. He's more Alan Didak than Andre Agassi.

The right player will come up eventually, and I suspect they will be about 22-23 in age.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Develop our own Saints - Martin is not worth the extra cash...

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Don't talk about Trump on here.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Vazelos
Club Player

I don't think the big 2 will go anywhere but obviously that's just a gut feel no one really knows. What about Tom Rockliff from the Lions? Not a super star but an A lister. If nothing we like is around do we just go with 2 first round picks and keep stock piling our talent?

SinCitySainter
Club Player

The only problem with keeping our first round picks is unless Hawthorn plummet or we take a nose dive they are unlikely to be real high end game changing talent. It is possible we can pull one out of the air but sides are getting better at picking the high end players early and less seem to slip through.
However that being said 1.5 seems a lot for any player even Fyfe and Dusty used to be a bit of a knob, may have improved but I don't know enough about him.
They are both though that game changer that you need which unfortunately Rockliff isn't.
It is a quandary.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why would we go for Tom Flogcliff when we showed zero interest last trade period?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Don't talk about Trump on here.
Why not? This a good thread, a great thread, a really excellent thread. One that will make this site great again! You were the only one who heard my dog whistling, magnifisaint. :D

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Roos said tonight what a lot of the media have been saying about our midfield - its hard working and tough, got some good depth now - but is quite samey - not that quick or super skilled. Dusty gives you some break out capability, nice delivery and goal scoring. He be that somethin different.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

If I was going for a Tiger free agent I'd look at Titch Edwards.
Super quick, great finisher and outside run.
Wouldn't be expensive and at 28 Tiges probably wouldn't match an offer.
He is the perfect fit for a side with inside bulls wanting some outside run and an end of the chain link man for September.
Dusty is a great player but too much baggage and too expensive for mine.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
lennyhaze
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:If I was going for a Tiger free agent I'd look at Titch Edwards.
He is the perfect fit for a side with inside bulls wanting some outside run and an end of the chain link man for September.

What baggage does he actually have. Certainly nothing on the footy field and not a hell of a lot off it. The player you suggest is just a good honest trier, Dusty is a match winner.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

lennyhaze wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:If I was going for a Tiger free agent I'd look at Titch Edwards.

What baggage does he actually have. Certainly nothing on the footy field and not a hell of a lot off it. The player you suggest is just a good honest trier, Dusty is a match winner.
Spot on, lennyhaze. I can't see where he's been convicted of anything, unlike Dane Swann who bashed the living suitcase out of a disabled man. Unlike Luke Hodge, he has no priors for drink driving. Consorting is no longer a criminal offence. If it was, half the Essendope board and former senior staffers would be in gaol for associating with Charters and his various hangers on. Yes, he has dodgy mates, notably Jake King and other unsavoury types that are mainly linked to his father. Give him a break. Imagine being raised in an environment in which your father, your mentor and role model associates with criminals and gangs to the extent that the government has sufficient evidence to deport him. I think the really amazing thing about Dusty is that he has risen above all that to become an elite player in the competition. Third in the Brownlow last year, an AA and club best and fairest winner. Chopstickgate was a disgraceful beat up. His accuser and the media, when the allegations were thoroughly tested could come up with nothing that closely resembled a criminal offence. Since when has having a minor verbal spat with another obnoxious patron in a restaurant after having a few drinks more than is healthy (in the off season) been a hanging offence? As the Nazarene who could walk on water famously said, "Let he who has not sinned, cast the first stone (my mother excluded)! Get him, if he's available and keen to come. And he was a mad saints fan as a kid, so he must be alright.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
lennyhaze wrote:

Spot on, lennyhaze. I can't see where he's been convicted of anything, unlike Dane Swann who bashed the living suitcase out of a disabled man. Unlike Luke Hodge, he has no priors for drink driving. Consorting is no longer a criminal offence. If it was, half the Essendope board and former senior staffers would be in gaol for associating with Charters and his various hangers on. Yes, he has dodgy mates, notably Jake King and other unsavoury types that are mainly linked to his father. Give him a break. Imagine being raised in an environment in which your father, your mentor and role model associates with criminals and gangs to the extent that the government has sufficient evidence to deport him. I think the really amazing thing about Dusty is that he has risen above all that to become an elite player in the competition. Third in the Brownlow last year, an AA and club best and fairest winner. Chopstickgate was a disgraceful beat up. His accuser and the media, when the allegations were thoroughly tested could come up with nothing that closely resembled a criminal offence. Since when has having a minor verbal spat with another obnoxious patron in a restaurant after having a few drinks more than is healthy (in the off season) been a hanging offence? As the Nazarene who could walk on water famously said, "Let he who has not sinned, cast the first stone (my mother excluded)! Get him, if he's available and keen to come. And he was a mad saints fan as a kid, so he must be alright.
WW, from what I have read you were involved in law enforcement, you should have a rough idea of some of Dusty's baggage.

lennyhaze and WW do make some very relevant points in stating Martin has come a long way and done extremely well given his upbringing, but maybe it wasn't as bad as one imagines given his brother has served australia overseas in the armed forces.

Martin is an absolute gun, just not sure he is the right fit or price for the saints, we also do npot want to break the fabric of the group or send Jack Steven off looking at free agency because we pay a million dollars to Dusty.

We do need to get hold of a free agent(s) so we can recruit some top end talent without spending our draft picks, I'm just not sure who or at what end of the scale we look.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The point about Jack Steven is very relevant here, JB. He comes out of contract in 2020, at 29 years of age, so he would still be attractive to other clubs and would most probably still be an important part of our midfield. We should be well and truly in our premiership window then. Another poster on her suggested we had so much cap space that we should splash on Fyfe and Dusty. As nice as it would be, the room in the salary cap is also there to accommodate our future stars. If all of Billings, Acres, McCartin, Dunstan, Ross, Steele, DMac, White, Gresham, Membrey, Newnes etc. continue to improve, then we are going to need plenty of cash to satisfy them all.

Realistically, we can afford only one highly paid, elite level FA, but I feel that. We need to choose very carefully as to who that will be. We'll also be competitive in seeking other uncontracted players. Wayne Hughes has been brought on board to specifically fulfill the role of identifying and bringing such players into the club. So, we need to choose wisely, grasshoppers. Dusty or Fyfe. Either would be a coup in my opinion. Imagine the excitement, extra memberships, higher profile, potential sponsorship opportunities, etc. For 1-1.5 million you would want to snare a player that could fulfill all of those needs. Dusty and Fyfe are the only ones on the market who would be able to do it. Get one of them I say!

lennyhaze
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
lennyhaze wrote:

WW, from what I have read you were involved in law enforcement, you should have a rough idea of some of Dusty's baggage.

lennyhaze and WW do make some very relevant points in stating Martin has come a long way and done extremely well given his upbringing, but maybe it wasn't as bad as one imagines given his brother has served australia overseas in the armed forces.

Martin is an absolute gun, just not sure he is the right fit or price for the saints, we also do npot want to break the fabric of the group or send Jack Steven off looking at free agency because we pay a million dollars to Dusty.

We do need to get hold of a free agent(s) so we can recruit some top end talent without spending our draft picks, I'm just not sure who or at what end of the scale we look.
Players don't really care what others are getting as long as they are getting what they think is fair. It didn't seem to hurt the swans or Bulldogs or GWS with what others are getting. Maybe other reasons not to get him but he would deserve to be our highest paid player anyway and Jack might be very happy to get him if it gets us a flag. Also I think they maybe reasonable mates.

lennyhaze
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
lennyhaze wrote:

Players don't really care what others are getting as long as they are getting what they think is fair. It didn't seem to hurt the swans or Bulldogs or GWS with what others are getting. Maybe other reasons not to get him but he would deserve to be our highest paid player anyway and Jack might be very happy to get him if it gets us a flag. Also I think they maybe reasonable mates.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

According to journos (Didn't catch the chaps name on SEN), St Kilda have ruled themselves out of the Dustin Martin race. Bigger fish to fry for the lads down at RSEA Park.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:According to journos (Didn't catch the chaps name on SEN), St Kilda have ruled themselves out of the Dustin Martin race. Bigger fish to fry for the lads down at RSEA Park.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kild ... 66503c3f9e

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

kosifantutti wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:According to journos (Didn't catch the chaps name on SEN), St Kilda have ruled themselves out of the Dustin Martin race. Bigger fish to fry for the lads down at RSEA Park.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kild ... 66503c3f9e
Ahh yep... Thought it was Jake Niall. Kinda glad we're not chasing Dusty.

wally
Club Player

Is it possible as our midfield group get better that someone will become a home made game breaker?
They cant shut down everyone all at once.
Personally I think we should target an interstate star/up and comer with the come home strategy and trade.
fyfe will stay at Freo.