Nathan Brown- opinions please

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Nathan Brown- opinions please

Quick one people.
Nathan Brown- I hope tony74 or jaxons can offer some insight.
Round 1 can't come quick enough, and I want to see how he handles Hogan.

Can Nathan Brown be a valid and productive replacement for Delaney and Fisher?
Does he have the tools to cover and negate big forwards?

<edit> as of this entry, so far, 21 members have read my little question, but nobody has offered anything yet. Oh well, I will return to work and come back to the forum in 3 weeks time. Bye... :shock:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nathan Brown- opinions please

In my opinion he does. He is the old fashioned lumbering type of fullback that will keep forwards honest. Good test for him against Hogan coming up.
It is a pity we are not playing a young key defender next to him to help out and learn.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Quick one people.
Nathan Brown- I hope tony74 or jaxons can offer some insight.
Round 1 can't come quick enough, and I want to see how he handles Hogan.

Can Nathan Brown be a valid and productive replacement for Delaney and Fisher?
Does he have the tools to cover and negate big forwards?

<edit> as of this entry, so far, 21 members have read my little question, but nobody has offered anything yet. Oh well, I will return to work and come back to the forum in 3 weeks time. Bye... :shock:
He kept the Port player who is a fair footballer quiet, but appeared a bit slow to me.

Time will tell. It's a bit too early to start offering to many opinions on our new recruits.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

I'm certainly hoping he'll allow our side greater flexibility so some of the other guys can get off the chain a bit more.

Seems a decent honest player and a good bloke to me. Should fit in well if he can play that role.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

One thing that I've found frustrating about the various Saints coaches over the last decade or so is there need to be a little old or nothing with the older players.

For example, there has been a lot of debate on here over when the right time to retire guys like Dempster, Fisher, Gwilt, Jones, Schnieder, Blake etc. It seemed to me that the mentality always seemed to be that they're either in the best 22 or they get cut whilst the concept of playing ppl against the right match ups/opponents was not embraced so much.
Someone like Blake for example cold be out of the team until we played a team with more of those resting ruck / aerobic forward types.

Nathan Brown seems to be one such type player. He's purely a stopping backman designed to play against the stronger forwards that have ripped us apart over recent years. Rather than be a permanent fixture in our top 22, my preference would be for him to come in and do a job for us as required.
And I think he can do that very effectively.

I'd hate to see him play against a medium, super fast athlete though because he didn't fit anywhere else

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think the change of scenery and AR's coaching will bring out his best, which in the past has been very good. He did drop off in the past two years, but still played a lot of senior footy. That is encouraging. A change of club has lifted many a player. I think he's a solid citizen type, who has some decent skills. Ok, he's not the road runner, but that won't be his role. One, you can carry.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Good player who will play a very important role

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Massive upgrade on Delaney because he has skill with ball in hand. Good stopper too.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Will play round one and is one of the keys this year if we are to make the 8. He allows Gilbert and Roberton to play with more freedom and provide the run that we need from half back

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

He must be a horses for courses type player rather than a starting 22 every week. Play on the big blokes like Hawkins, Patton, maybe 2-metre Peter, etc, but maybe not on the faster forwards like Hogan, etc

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:He must be a horses for courses type player rather than a starting 22 every week. Play on the big blokes like Hawkins, Patton, maybe 2-metre Peter, etc, but maybe not on the faster forwards like Hogan, etc
This makes sense to me. I hope the coaches learn from last year when they went small against WCE and bring him to Perth.
Brown may not be mobile enough for Tom Lynch or Tex Walker.
Unlike Tom Lee, Brown has proved himself at AFL level.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Winmar
Club Player

It's great to have him as an option, even if he doesn't need to play every week. At 28 he's still potentially got 4 years or so left in him.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Jacks Back wrote:He must be a horses for courses type player rather than a starting 22 every week. Play on the big blokes like Hawkins, Patton, maybe 2-metre Peter, etc, but maybe not on the faster forwards like Hogan, etc
Agree with this... Although brown is an ordinary footballer..

Also to awayintheusa brown does not have skill with ball in hand, all he does is kick it 40-50 to a contest.. Rarely if ever spots someone up

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wow! Sounds like a few on here must have spent the last 5 years watching Pies games week in week out and paid particular attention to Brown and his disposal.

Lets call them Brown experts..

:roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

As you must be?

I'm just going off the fact he's played a lot of finals footy, he's beaten big forwards, he's been in the leadership groups of teams much better performed than ours
Plus
He's had significant injuries

Those suggesting he's not mobile enough for more mobile forwards... he has a better record on Walker, Hogan etc that huge forwards like Kennedy
Let's not forget, he has beaten the best and most mobile forward in the modern era on a few occasions.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote:Wow! Sounds like a few on here must have spent the last 5 years watching Pies games week in week out and paid particular attention to Brown and his disposal.

Lets call them Brown experts..

:roll:
:roll: U do realise a lot of people watch more than just saints games right?

Uncle is a mad pies supporter so means I watch all of the pies games.. That was always their gripe on him was never trying to spot up a target as that was their game plan

wally
Club Player

I understand the horses for courses but don't they also talk about the same back 6 playing together and gelling.
Carlisle and Brown can rotate around if necessary.

saint3d
Club Player

Brown was tenth in the league last year for spoils per game, which puts him slightly ahead of guys like Alex Rance and Josh Gibson.

He doesn't get as many disposals as those guys, but you could reasonably infer that he's pretty good at stopping marks.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:Brown was tenth in the league last year for spoils per game, which puts him slightly ahead of guys like Alex Rance and Josh Gibson.

He doesn't get as many disposals as those guys, but you could reasonably infer that he's pretty good at stopping marks.
That stat gives me enormous hope, because I imagine set plays would involve Brown spoiling, and one of our runners like Joey being there to clean up- he has the experience to do so.
Rance n Gibson? Wow...I'm (Big Kev) excited :lol:

lennyhaze
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
saint3d wrote:Brown was tenth in the league last year for spoils per game, which puts him slightly ahead of guys like Alex Rance and Josh Gibson.

That stat gives me enormous hope, because I imagine set plays would involve Brown spoiling, and one of our runners like Joey being there to clean up- he has the experience to do so.

I suppose you can find stats that make you like a player. Brown will be ok on the big slower guys of which there aren't that many these days. I'm hoping he only plays when those guys are in the opposition side. He doesn't need to find the ball as well. The days of complete stoppers are coming to an end.

saint3d
Club Player

lennyhaze wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:

I suppose you can find stats that make you like a player. Brown will be ok on the big slower guys of which there aren't that many these days. I'm hoping he only plays when those guys are in the opposition side. He doesn't need to find the ball as well. The days of complete stoppers are coming to an end.
If we call 'big slower guys' something like 'full forwards', and we call 'complete stoppers' something like 'full backs', I think you'll find there are enough of the former to warrant having one of the latter in your team most weeks. I don't think anyone really wants to see Sean Dempster lining up on Tom Hawkins again.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:As you must be?

I'm just going off the fact he's played a lot of finals footy, he's beaten big forwards, he's been in the leadership groups of teams much better performed than ours
Plus
He's had significant injuries

Those suggesting he's not mobile enough for more mobile forwards... he has a better record on Walker, Hogan etc that huge forwards like Kennedy
Let's not forget, he has beaten the best and most mobile forward in the modern era on a few occasions.
If it's good enough for everyone to have to quote why isn't it good enough for you? How can anyone know who is speaking to who if you don't quote?

I wasn't referring to you and I agree with you about Brown..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

was VC at Collingwood. Must have some ability. Did a job on Riewoldt 2010 GF

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:...you could reasonably infer that he's pretty good at stopping marks.
I think Nick would attest to that.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

You'll all love him by the end of the year, guaranteed.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!