NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

cwrcyn wrote:All this Fyfe and Martin fantasizing is nonsense. It's that Carlton/Judd mentality. Ooh, if we get Chris Judd, we'll be in premiership contention.
Completely different.

1. Free agency is an option so we don't have to give up a first round pick and Josh Kennedy to get him.
2. Carlton attempted to build a team around Chris Judd. You don't build a premiership team around a midfielder, no matter how good he is. A lesson Gold Coast failed to learn from Carlton.
3. We have a much better spine in place that a gun midfielder would already compliment what we have. Carlton never had this. Ever!
4. We've invested heavily in midfield depth. A Judd type player would be the icing on the cake, not the cake itself.
5. We have two first round picks in the draft and could readily give one of them up for the right player. i.e. we have an extra farm to sell if we need to sell the farm to get a player.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Yes, we have two first round picks, neither of which will very high, and again we have no second round pick. We have a 3rd and two fourth round picks.

To the top
SS Life Member

Acres to me at least has vision and invention with the ball.

I know Raph Clarke was the subject of comment on here, but he also had vision and invention with the ball.

These players are a little different in that they are 2 moves ahead - or are seeking an option to progress 2 moves.

That is why they win games for you.

Think Clarke chipping ahead of Riewoldt to the pocket in the final v WB catching the WB defence out and allowing Riewoldt to run onto the free ball.

Goal.

Win.

They are different - also in their ground coverage patterns.

st sandy
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:
All this Fyfe and Martin fantasizing is nonsense. It's that Carlton/Judd mentality. Ooh, if we get Chris Judd, we'll be in premiership contention. How about we keep Blake Acres, keep our two first round draft picks and keep building long term sustainable success, rather than thinking all will be magically perfect if we score a superstar from another club

I also agree with cwcyn. Why put at risk the leadership & direction of this current group - bring in two of the top 15 draft selections from next year to build sustained success

longtimesaint
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Yes, we have two first round picks, neither of which will very high, and again we have no second round pick. We have a 3rd and two fourth round picks.
Did we get two first round picks from Hawthorn and will we also have our own first round pick?

One year will be our year
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

We only got one first round pick through the Hawthorn deal. We have our own as well. As BB pointed out, I doubt either will be very high. I expect ourselves and the dorks to finish around the bottom of the eight, possibly higher, meaning we will have two in the 11-18 range. Still pretty good and when combined, might be enough to pry loose a Josh Kelly or similar. Or, we could use them, with the hope of snaring another Two players of the quality of Gresham, Acres or Dustan. Either way we win.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

SMS wrote:Look at the big clubs of hawks, cats and pies they went and got danger trelor and omeara. We got carlisle and steele which is good, but, if we want a flag in the next 5 years we MUST GET ONE OF THESE BLOKES NOW!!!
If we dont we will always be short that elite midfielder that we need.
Surely the club is doing eveything they can to get FYFE.
I right now believe he is coming to us. Hes never denied leaving freo at end of this year, hes latest remarks regarding melbourne (fox special). With fyfe, 2018 is possible for a flag. We must do this for reiwoldt. Otherwise we'll be another north and tigers.

RE ACRES: This kid could be one of the best nids in the game. He could be KOUTAFIDES FFS. Whats his problem? Its MENTAL. He makes great decisions, he has elite skill and he IS NOT SLOW. BUT HE IS SLOW WITH BALL IN HAND AND WHEN HE HAS SPACE.
Why? Its a psychological problem which a sports psychologist needs to work on. Fix it and he becomes elite.

Sorry to YELL BUT getting FYFE (or dusty) and FIXING ACRES with the natural progression (which is seemingly happening) and REIWOLDT still as fit as ever (freak) we will win the 2018 flag (as GWS johnson griffen and deludio pack it in, and they lose extra talent meaning SYNERGY WILL DIE somewhat)

Lets not do the ordinary stkilda thing and ignore these things as not important. They are the difference between finals and flags.
I'm not sure how many times you've seen Acres play, but I can assure you he does not have elite skills, his kicking is 50/50 at best, don't get me wrong I think he can be a special player, but he needs to play with more intensity and he needs to improve his use by foot

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Didnt the coach come out at the end of last year and say Acres was in our top 3 players in the last 5 weeks of the season?

As for Martin or Fyfe.
Ive heard it all before on here.

O'Meara, Heppell, Hurley, L Weller, J Cameron, Laverde, Kelly, Jack Riewoldt etc

A phone call between a club and a player Mgr means absolutely nothing.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Fyfe and Martin are not great kicks either but they make things happen as does Acres - like breaking through 3 tackles and getting the ball moving

No use holding Acres back because his kicking needs improving - the way he was shaping up last year shows he has the potential to be a bona fide game breaker if he isn't already

They must play him

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Fyfe and Martin are not great kicks either but they make things happen as does Acres - like breaking through 3 tackles and getting the ball moving

No use holding Acres back because his kicking needs improving - the way he was shaping up last year shows he has the potential to be a bona fide game breaker if he isn't already

They must play him
I wish this forum had a like button :D

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Fyfe and Martin are not great kicks either but they make things happen as does Acres - like breaking through 3 tackles and getting the ball moving

They must play him
Plus one. :D

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Acres has only played 26 games.

I would be happy if he played a minimum of 18 games this year and averaged 20 possessions a game.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
skeptic wrote:

They must play him
Plus one. :D
Like :D

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dont understand why there is so much love for Dusty Martin here. I thought there was a no stupid in our recruiting rules, and I dint think any body other than a stupid person would have those tattoos on his throat.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I agree that we have a good one in Acres. Dunstan, Seb Ross, are doing well too.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I dont understand why there is so much love for Dusty Martin here. I thought there was a no stupid in our recruiting rules, and I dint think any body other than a stupid person would have those tattoos on his throat.
Yeah...we only recruit players that video themselves inhaling white powder and snapchat it to friends.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I dont understand why there is so much love for Dusty Martin here. I thought there was a no stupid in our recruiting rules, and I dint think any body other than a stupid person would have those tattoos on his throat.
Yeah...we only recruit players that video themselves inhaling white powder and snapchat it to friends.
That was only known by Saints after the recruitment deal was signed........... remember Essendon kept it quiet for a few week.

I wish to gawd we'd never recruited the Bogan and his revolting tatts, but what's done is done, now this princess has to suck it up and begrudging support him because he plays for the team I love. And I know from speaking to many Saint fans there are plenty who think like me. We will accept him - he may be trusted after years of unblemished service to the Saints.

I hope we steer clear of another tattooed bogan from another club, of dubious character ie Martin, who would only come to the Saints for dollars & cents, no other reason.

I'm sure if Saints try hard enough we can cultivate a tattooed bogan of our own who is a champion footballer - but one who has played from the Saints from the get go and will have loyalty to the red, White & black.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:I'm sure if Saints try hard enough we can cultivate a tattooed bogan of our own who is a champion footballer - but one who has played from the Saints from the get go and will have loyalty to the red, White & black.
You mean like Peter Everitt or Barry Hall?

loris
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
loris wrote:I'm sure if Saints try hard enough we can cultivate a tattooed bogan of our own who is a champion footballer - but one who has played from the Saints from the get go and will have loyalty to the red, White & black.
Maybe we shouldn't try to cultivate one then LLS, this goes to strengthen my opinion that tattooed, bogans of dubious character aren't the loyal types!! :wink:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

loris wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
Maybe we shouldn't try to cultivate one then LLS, this goes to strengthen my opinion that tattooed, bogans of dubious character aren't the loyal types!! :wink:
when do we get our tickets for round 2?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Unless a person has a single tatto normally out of sight, like "Mum" or a reference to his service unit, I have found most multi tattooed people not to be Einsteins. Tattoos are often linked with drugs as well.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Dunno abou tatts, but Acres needs as much game time as possible, regardless of whatever flaws he is supposed to have. Every player on our list has flaws.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Acres will be a gun. I remember all the negative press Brendon Goddard got in his first few years. Turned out OK, didn't he? I see Acres as a similar type developmentally. I know he's not as good a kick as BJ, very few are, but he has a strong body already, great vision and a quick mind. I reckon he'll be one of our best in time.

loris
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
loris wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
when do we get our tickets for round 2?
Yes Wellard S I'm starting to worry about that. Last season it was months before the event. Maybe because it'sa game so early in the season the Ticketing agent hasn't worked it all out yet.

All I know is you can be rest assured - it will be a heat wave then- and we will be looking into the blazing sun for at least the first quarter & a half before the sun gets below the stands.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
We have Wright and Membrey with sleeve tattoos along with Carlisle now.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!