Training

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training

saintspremiers wrote:He's doing well compared to Lovett, who costed us pick 16 and didn't even last a pre season.

He's nearly as good as Fergus Watts who we traded pick 17 for (played 1 game for us)

Barry Brookes cost us pick 6 AND pick 31 for a massive 8 games.

He cost us circa pick 32 this year so he's more relatable to a Farren Ray cost.

No first round draft pick, a delayed mid second round which was pushed back because of academies.

The cost isn't an issue at all.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He, unlike Lovett was worth the risk. He was a well known and documented prick!

So was Fergus, Barry (probably not 6 & 31?), Jesse Smith worth the risk

Injuries happen, they were crueller by injury unfortunately, as were Luke Penny and Jarryd Allen

If Nathan turns the corner, in the next 18 months, it'll be great news, if not, oh well

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I call Freeman a project player. And like all project players a lot of things have to come together for him that can take time, but there is no guarentees. That's why I'm so chilled out about him. I think the club would be honestly happy if he can play a big chunk of VFL footy this year and show some really solid form. That would be a big step forward.

He has quite a few hurdles in front of him. We don't know if he will have that express pace that made him go at pick 9. I lot of players that have serious hammy problems like Judd lose that out and out pace. And not only has he not played any AFL footy as a 21 y.o, he has barely played ANY footy. He's got to show he can learn and implement the complex positioning and structures in-game that is a big part of AFL. Easy to do in video drills, much hard in the chaos of games. He's got to show he can develop his game the way the coaches want and is willing to listen and be team-first. He's got to show he can throw off any mental demons and go flat chat. And the clock is ticking on him as he will turn 22 this year and has barely played any football at all and we have talented, hungry kids keen to learn and able to push their bodies from day 1, coming in every year.

And he went pick 9, so what? We have Billings pick 3, Steven is elite, Armo pick 10, Acres and Dunstan pick 18 & 19, Gresham pick 14, Steele would have been around pick 16 without academy, we have two first rounders next year. Let alone Ross, Stevens, Newnes all showing consistent AFL ability already. Why is this automatic assumption that Nathan will be better than them and be in our best 22?

I is tots chilled about Freezer. I just let Nathan do Nathan and see where he lands, no sweats.

wally
Club Player

I tend to think this is more a case of off season boredom (Freeman speculation) that will quieten down once there's more stuff going on.
I'm sure everyone wants him to come good.
Everyone can have an opinion (even me) but it almost seems like the media intense scrutiny snowball at times.

Thanks to everyone for training reports, very well received, and really how many times do you watch a game and agree with the experts or others around?
Everyone sees things differently.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Freeman pick 10
Armo pick 9
Gresham pick 18

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Freeman pick 10
Armo pick 9
Gresham pick 18
Thanks Mr Pedantic.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote: He has quite a few hurdles in front of him. We don't know if he will have that express pace that made him go at pick 9. I lot of players that have serious hammy problems like Judd lose that out and out pace.

I don't recall Judd having hamstring issues. His was O.P. Similar to Luke Ball - that's how they lost their pace.

To the top
SS Life Member

I think I can recall R Harvey, who wore number 35, missing very large slabs of consecutive seasons with leg strain issues?

He came back from that period as a reasonable player.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I think I can recall R Harvey, who wore number 35, missing very large slabs of consecutive seasons with leg strain issues?

He came back from that period as a reasonable player.
Maybe... if this had not been the case, Rob would have been a 60 possessions a game player

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Calf by the looks of it

#1 Ryder fan
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

No strapping, trained at full pace including repeat sprints.

Very quick and slick in the ball up drills. Hardly got a touch in the two quarter scratch match, however he was coming off a wing, and the play was direct kicking inside 50 to a contest almost exclusively.

Still he kept presenting and looked so much stronger, quicker and more confident than last year.

You are garbage - Enough said
Freebird
Club Player

Thanks Bunk

Who else impressed?

Were any of the younger ones showing anything?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Bunkmoreland?

Is that the bloke who bags this site at every opportunity over at BF

Well at least he uses his well known identity over there, why did he have to change it again??

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Came here to dispell fears of true Saints fans about Freeman.

If information is not appreciated, wont post it.

Hope real Saints fans got something from it. Wont engage with trolls.

You are garbage - Enough said
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Appreciate the info Bunk.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Did you find out why he missed training for a week, you know, to dispell anything... Or just to let us know he completed a session?

I got through training Wednesday, am I cherry ripe??

Just go back to bagging people on Big Footy ... Good to see you've found a way to make friends over there...

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Was at training today and Freeman was moving perfectly well - sources tell me he had a very slight calf last week.

Billings and Gresh going awesome. The Irish bloke moves like a racehorse (don't know his name sorry), but was running laps and covered the ground like Phar Lap, very impressive. If he can develop the game nous and skills will be a real beauty.

Wright surprised me. Last time I saw training he never hit a single target, this time around I never saw him miss a target, including on his non-preferred.

Saw J Steven and J Steele doing heaps of repeat sprints, and B Rice & J Lonie running laps. Most players in match sim.....

Sincs got a bit of it in the scratch match but didn't set the world on fire.

Geez Carlisle is a big chunk of humanity........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Went to my 2ND training run today and like what I saw. Blokes have put on good size and are moving well. Freeman will play it's a no brainer I'd suggest there just keeping a lid on him. Never pulls up short and looks completely unrestricted. Skills look sharp and at this stage the pre season looks to be one the best in my time as a supporter.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Did you find out why he missed training for a week, you know, to dispell anything... Or just to let us know he completed a session?

I got through training Wednesday, am I cherry ripe??

Just go back to bagging people on Big Footy ... Good to see you've found a way to make friends over there...

Please focus on the footy and leave the personal stuff aside. Thanks.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Went to my 2ND training run today and like what I saw. Blokes have put on good size and are moving well. Freeman will play it's a no brainer I'd suggest there just keeping a lid on him. Never pulls up short and looks completely unrestricted. Skills look sharp and at this stage the pre season looks to be one the best in my time as a supporter.
Great to hear Curly - exciting times ahead. Thanks for the update.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Went to my 2ND training run today and like what I saw. Blokes have put on good size and are moving well. Freeman will play it's a no brainer I'd suggest there just keeping a lid on him. Never pulls up short and looks completely unrestricted. Skills look sharp and at this stage the pre season looks to be one the best in my time as a supporter.
Wow!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

How was the umpiring in the scratch match Curly?

I thought the large majority of players were trying to shed the Kilos?

No Byron, will not leave the personal stuff aside when it comes to him, a snake in the grass.

saint-stu
Club Player

Was it open training yesterday? I didn't see it announced anywhere.

1ac46a38
Playon
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Bunkmoreland?

Is that the bloke who bags this site at every opportunity over at BF

Well at least he uses his well known identity over there, why did he have to change it again??
Yep what a silly Joffa. Bags us there but comes here for the inside gos