Rookie draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scoop
Club Player

Re: Rookie draft

CQ SAINT wrote:
Scoop wrote:
thecrevis wrote:"A former rugby player from New Zealand who showed the versatility to play ruck, key defence and go forward to kick a goal for North Ballarat in 2016 after being overlooked in his draft year in 2014. He averaged 15 disposals and 11 hit-outs per game in the VFL, was invited to the Victorian state combine and showed he can cover the ground by running a 13.1 beep test and 3.11 second sprint over 20m."
He must have been a precocious talent at Rugby and a sizeable baby.......given that he left NZ when he was 18 months old!!!*

http://www.standard.net.au/story/270506 ... wards-afl/

*Not having a go at you thecrevis....just some of the misleading stuff that appears on various football related sites!
I think we have rugby in Australia too.
Thanks for enlightening me CQ!

I think most people reading the first line of the quote would assume that he was a rugby player from NZ.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
SuperDuper
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Carlton take Alex Silvangi - jesus talk about nepotism
SOS is going to end up a disaster. Picks his relos and his 'mates' from his GWS days.

Cant see it ending well. Running the place like a personal plaything.
not only a relative, but another KPD... they traded high picks for one this year, drafted one with pick 1 last year, traded high picks for one the year before... also took another from GWS (Plouhgman), and drafted one this year with pick 47 this year..

So.. do they really need a "back-up" type KPD on their list

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
Scoop wrote:
thecrevis wrote:"A former rugby player from New Zealand who showed the versatility to play ruck, key defence and go forward to kick a goal for North Ballarat in 2016 after being overlooked in his draft year in 2014. He averaged 15 disposals and 11 hit-outs per game in the VFL, was invited to the Victorian state combine and showed he can cover the ground by running a 13.1 beep test and 3.11 second sprint over 20m."
He must have been a precocious talent at Rugby and a sizeable baby.......given that he left NZ when he was 18 months old!!!*

*Not having a go at you thecrevis....just some of the misleading stuff that appears on various football related sites!

I think most people reading the first line of the quote would assume that he was a rugby player from NZ.
He lived in Queensland until he was three. That's where he learned to play rugby.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Scoop
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
Scoop wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
Scoop wrote:

He lived in Queensland until he was three. That's where he learned to play rugby.
Obviously kosi! ;)

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
shrodes
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:
Scoop wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
Scoop wrote:

So you're saying he learned to play rugby at three? What a prodigy!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I reckon our club would almost be one of the worst to be a rookie at. We have a big glut of young talented players who will fighting to fill any spots that do open up for the next 10 years. We will have a few more retirees over the next few years but not a lot more.

I really like O'Kearney - he's neat, clean disposal, creative and looks to have a great footy brain. But how does he get in the team with Gresham, Sinclair, Lonie, Steele, Mav, Stevens, Acres and probably Long all ahead of him as a small forward/mid? Yes if you play well enough you can break through but every year with talented kids coming in it will get harder and harder.

Coughlan probably has the best chance to break through as the history of the AFL is littered with stories of inexperienced defenders being needed due to injuries to big backs and stepping up when they have their chance to cement a place. Goddard, Carlisle, Dempster, Gilbert have all had injury concerns and Dempster and Brown are aging so he might get a shot sooner rather than later.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:I reckon our club would almost be one of the worst to be a rookie at. We have a big glut of young talented players who will fighting to fill any spots that do open up for the next 10 years. We will have a few more retirees over the next few years but not a lot more.

I really like O'Kearney - he's neat, clean disposal, creative and looks to have a great footy brain. But how does he get in the team with Gresham, Sinclair, Lonie, Steele, Mav, Stevens, Acres and probably Long all ahead of him as a small forward/mid? Yes if you play well enough you can break through but every year with talented kids coming in it will get harder and harder.

Coughlan probably has the best chance to break through as the history of the AFL is littered with stories of inexperienced defenders being needed due to injuries to big backs and stepping up when they have their chance to cement a place. Goddard, Carlisle, Dempster, Gilbert have all had injury concerns and Dempster and Brown are aging so he might get a shot sooner rather than later.
Pretty good eh? never been so good

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If the rumours were true and we offered up a 2nd round pick two years back for Mitch Brown then we dodged a bullet there.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Some highlights for Rowan Marshall. Gee he looks a really good kick for a big man and remarkably agile. He looks a really versatile pickup. They could groom him as a backman - he definitely looks agile enough to do that. But you could also use him as a ruck forward. He could fit in great with Hickey - with both being very agile and able to be effective around the ground, we could probably play both in the 22. Longer and Pierce need to keep developing.

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2016-11- ... n-marshall

shrodes
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:Some highlights for Rowan Marshall. Gee he looks a really good kick for a big man and remarkably agile. He looks a really versatile pickup. They could groom him as a backman - he definitely looks agile enough to do that. But you could also use him as a ruck forward. He could fit in great with Hickey - with both being very agile and able to be effective around the ground, we could probably play both in the 22. Longer and Pierce need to keep developing.

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2016-11- ... n-marshall
Agree, I was really impressed with the highlights. Can take a contested grab, decision making looks good, and as he mentions himself, his disposal efficiency looks great for such a tall guy. I'm excited to see what he can do.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Marshall plays like Pierce but with a much better leap.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Pierce and Marshall are the future. Ruckman who can go forward or back, pinch hitting with good effect. Billy and Jase are around until the younger pair arrive as players. Holmes a one year deal. Gone at the end of the year. Billy, a two year deal, probably gone at end of 2018, although an outstanding couple of years would either save him, or greatly increase his value at the trade table. It's all in the 'spreadsheet.'

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
loris
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:If the rumours were true and we offered up a 2nd round pick two years back for Mitch Brown then we dodged a bullet there.
Interesting that Mitch Brown's career has often played second fiddle to his partners. He didn't go on with Saints offer as she had signed a new deal with club in Perth, so he settled with West Coast's offer. Now she changes to a Melbourne based team & he can't get a gig in AFL in Melbourne. Dems d' breaks for sporting couples.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:If the rumours were true and we offered up a 2nd round pick two years back for Mitch Brown then we dodged a bullet there.
Interesting that Mitch Brown's career has often played second fiddle to his partners. He didn't go on with Saints offer as she had signed a new deal with club in Perth, so he settled with West Coast's offer. Now she changes to a Melbourne based team & he can't get a gig in AFL in Melbourne. Dems d' breaks for sporting couples.
He requested a trade to St Kilda and we put picks 24 and 25 on the table for him but West Coast wouldn't go through with the trade unless they got another key defender in the trade period. Essendon offered up Cale Hooker (who was well back in the pecking order at the time) but Hooker refused to go and the Brown deal fell through. In hindsight it was fairly inconsequential. We haven't been a contender since then and we landed Wright and White with the draft picks we would have traded.

supersaints
Club Player

Wombat15 wrote:Why did we take a ruck in the rookie draft? What's the point in having 5 on the list.
Best Ask Hawthorn why they have had five for the past years? They won three in a row playing two ruckman on the field l, and would have played two ruckmen if one hadn't got injured ( forgot his name Ciglear?) I think that's what brought them undone.
The iissues been done to death Saints four rucks were on the lighter side most had five (including a least two under development). There was an article from fox footy Last year, there will be one again it's the norm not the exception.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
loris wrote:
He requested a trade to St Kilda and we put picks 24 and 25 on the table for him but West Coast wouldn't go through with the trade unless they got another key defender in the trade period. Essendon offered up Cale Hooker (who was well back in the pecking order at the time) but Hooker refused to go and the Brown deal fell through. In hindsight it was fairly inconsequential. We haven't been a contender since then and we landed Wright and White with the draft picks we would have traded.
I think it was Pears who refused to go.

Stian
Club Player

supersaints wrote:
Wombat15 wrote:Why did we take a ruck in the rookie draft? What's the point in having 5 on the list.
Best Ask Hawthorn why they have had five for the past years? They won three in a row playing two ruckman on the field l, and would have played two ruckmen if one hadn't got injured ( forgot his name Ciglear?) I think that's what brought them undone.
The iissues been done to death Saints four rucks were on the lighter side most had five (including a least two under development). There was an article from fox footy Last year, there will be one again it's the norm not the exception.
I think it also is fair to say that Marshall seems much more flexible and versatile than a "standard" ruckman and so offers the selectors more choices in how they structure the team.