Then there were 4

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Then there were 4

With Dempster signing a 1 year extension 4 players are left un contracted.
Murdoch, Lee, Shenton and Fisher.
All 4 battling to save their careers.
Who will be given contracts and who won't?
2 more delistings required at the minimum.
I really can't call it, my gut feel is Shenton and Lee may survive.
Fisher looks less then 50/50 and Murdoch looks in a lot of trouble.
Views?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Then there were 4

Has Membrey signed?

sasaint
Club Player

Any chance that Freeman might be moved to the rookie list until he can work out if he can still play footy? Would open up a list spot for another potential player.

Patience young grasshopper
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:Any chance that Freeman might be moved to the rookie list until he can work out if he can still play footy? Would open up a list spot for another potential player.
I was thinking that also, sasaint. Would it take pressure off him, or would it knock his confidence? Interesting times ahead. Gee I hope he makes it. I remember watching him in the under 18s and he was an excitement machine. Exactly what we need.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
To the top
SS Life Member

The player season reviews, including the Senior Coach's comments are instructive in regards Fisher and Lee.

I am not aware that reviews on Murdoch and Shenton have been attended to date - which may be instructive.

Freeman, having been on the park at least for successive matches, will hopefully be in a position to undertake an un-compromised pre-season leading into 2017 and being available from Round 1.

When we also hopefully see Carlisle at CHB so see the result of our pre 2016 Season trade activities.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

sasaint wrote:Any chance that Freeman might be moved to the rookie list until he can work out if he can still play footy? Would open up a list spot for another potential player.
Absolutely no chance that Freezer is demoted to the rookie list.

The Recruit
Club Player

this will not happen.....give freeman a chance....seriously rookie list!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I'm getting the vibe that we will only land Steele and thats all in this years trade which I think is cool as we can use our top pick in the draft. I think we have to use at lease 3 picks in the draft is the rule.

With Demps renewed, I think Fisher has to go. We need space to let the backline newbies get games. If Lee stays on the list he has to play a decent amount of seniors to see if he play at AFL level or not. What is he now 25 or 26,. The worst thing is to have him clogging the list for another two years and he barely gets to play.

I wouldn't keep Murdoch or Shents. Even in a wooden spoon team with a lot of players having left and drafting babies, they couldn't break into the team. Lets use some low down picks to see if we can pluck an outsider - look for a kid with express speed but maybe lacking in other areas to see if we can turn him into a footy player like they did with JJ

Freeman I think they have to keep on the list proper as they will want to get AFL games into him asap if he can get on the park and show some decent form. I think he needs that for his mental well being, confidence and to see if he can show something at AFL level. He needs to know the afl level he needs to work torwards. IF he can get an AFL game under his belt without breaking down I think that would do wonders for his mindset.

Wombat15
Club Player

freely wrote:Has Membrey signed?
Membrey is out of contract next season. Apparently the salary cap figure for next year hasnt been announced and that may be a reason why he hasnt signed on yet. Would command a decent figure.

I believe Eli is out of contract as well would probably sign him on for another year. Personally id be seeing if Shenton, Murdoch and Eli have any trade value before making any decisions though. With Lee i think they have to see how the trade market goes, same goes for fish.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

LEE has been signed for 2 more years hasnt he?

To the top
SS Life Member

Rather than rail for Fisher to be retired, I concur with the Senior Coach's assessment and other comments by the Club yesterday.

Every year you are in it to win it - and the AFL is NOT a player nursery. The player nursery is the VFL.

Both Lee and Coghlan have a very long way to go in replacing Fisher who remains a premier defender, now playing as a deep defender as the Senior Coach notes.

If we can not attract a like for like for Fisher, able to perform at a level which will compliment a team performing in September, then Fisher stays.

citywest

To the top wrote:Rather than rail for Fisher to be retired, I concur with the Senior Coach's assessment and other comments by the Club yesterday.

Every year you are in it to win it - and the AFL is NOT a player nursery. The player nursery is the VFL.

Both Lee and Coghlan have a very long way to go in replacing Fisher who remains a premier defender, now playing as a deep defender as the Senior Coach notes.

If we can not attract a like for like for Fisher, able to perform at a level which will compliment a team performing in September, then Fisher stays.
This is the type of mentality that has made St Kilda the worst performing team in the history of the game. By a long way I might add. How many more wooden spoons do you want us to win before you wake up and realize what you are proposing is wrong in so many ways. St Kilda need to become ruthless if they are ever going to win their second premiership.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:LEE has been signed for 2 more years hasnt he?
That was just a rumour coming from a WA paper - apparently Lee turned down an offer from WAFL club because he said he was staying at Saints. But the fact they renew Demps before him doesn't bode well.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

It may be possible Chips is de-listed and redrafted as a rookie.

citywest

st.byron wrote:It may be possible Chips is de-listed and redrafted as a rookie.
No thanks. He needs to be retired. This sentimental mentality is crap. We need to be ruthless like Hawthorn and North.

Vazelos
Club Player

There will be no sentiment in our decisions I think they showed this exiting Dal Santo Goodard and Mc evoy

dragit
Saintsational Legend

It doesn't sound like Templeton has a contract either… will he get another one if he isn't traded?

saint-stu
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:LEE has been signed for 2 more years hasnt he?
That was just a rumour coming from a WA paper - apparently Lee turned down an offer from WAFL club because he said he was staying at Saints. But the fact they renew Demps before him doesn't bode well.
Richo said this in Lee's review
Richo wrote:And we did have opportunity down back, given the age of some of our defenders, and whilst not this year, we need to make sure he’s potentially ready to go next year and the year after when the opportunity arises.

1ac46a38