Jaxons come on down

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Jaxons come on down

In previous years I've been anxious around trade time because more often then not other clubs are sniffing around our uncontracted (and sometimes contracted) players. This year feels very different- we seem to be in control of our list. Nobody really wants to leave it seems , and we are out and about actively chasing down all leads.

Speaks volumes about the quality of the football dept and admin behind the scenes.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
jaxons wrote:
felix wrote:Jaxson the riddler has pissed off . Good on you Jaxson. How bout feeding the starving peasants another piece of bread.

Guys still 4 weeks until trade period starts so a lot of water to go under the bridge.
We are very active in discussions but as I said so many things don't come off.
If I mentioned all the players we are talking to and about this board would go into meltdown.
I will do my best to break news of our deals when they are as good as done on here first for you as I have done for last few years.
Stay tuned.
From what I've gathered we've got 17 on the books and have had preliminary discussions with 11 of them. Make that 12! Don't think we want any more than 3 at the end however.
Boy if we end up with three then that would be all our high picks gone this draft surely. That is smelling like top up to me. Hope we get the right guys and not just because they are available. Its easy to get sucked into the "big body years in the system" guys who can push you instantly into the eight but will they have the quality to push us to a flag?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I'd be very surprised if the club left themselves without a first round pick.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Boy if we end up with three then that would be all our high picks gone this draft surely. That is smelling like top up to me. Hope we get the right guys and not just because they are available. Its easy to get sucked into the "big body years in the system" guys who can push you instantly into the eight but will they have the quality to push us to a flag?
As we currently only have a first round pick and no second round pick this draft it would probably only take trading in one quality player to see it gone.

3 quality players would mean that most likely pick 10 will go plus a player. Of course a pick from next year is required. However with 3, 2 may only be quality and the third may well be a "needs" pick up that does not cost a great deal. So Eric may be picked up if his cost is not too high, and ignored if the price is excessive.

Though having said that Weller, Membrey and Robo have been great calls that cost virtually nothing, and Bruce not much.

I am not so phased whether we trade or keep picks, but I am very concerned that with either approach that we pick the right player. With either approach our recruiters need to be very clinical about which player will in the long term be best for the Saints. As I have posted in several posts now I believe that our rebuild has gone well, but now what we need is Quality over Quantity.

Our recruiters need to assess the waters and to then make the call by looking at what value can be brought in at what cost. When we had pick 1 it was on the table if we gained a great price for it, but as it was not forcoming we used it instead.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure they know what they're doing.

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Pretty sure they know what they're doing.

Yes agree. After having to suffer through an era of recruiting dunces when the Saints were probably the most inept draft pickers in the AFL it is just so freshening to enter trade/trade periods knowing that the club will come out the better from it. No one will ever get all picks and trades correct, but in recent seasons we have a much improved track record even if I am still slightly apprehensive about Carlisle and Freeman,

ace
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:Saints let Lockett go
Under AFL orders.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Are people seriously saying they'd prefer Membrey to Jack Reiwoldt??

Seriously?
If Jack was Membrey age, I would not hestitate to take Jack.
But Membrey will be in our premiership team, Jack will have retired.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

ace wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Are people seriously saying they'd prefer Membrey to Jack Reiwoldt??

Seriously?
If Jack was Membrey age, I would not hestitate to take Jack.
But Membrey will be in our premiership team, Jack will have retired.
I would still hesitate ... even if they were the same age.
The thing about Membrey is, you'd want him in the side complementing Jack Riewoldt, Bruce or McCartin -- whoever is at full forward (and CHF really).
He just adds another dimension and balances our forward line with his mobility. And he is yet another strong-marking presence up forward.
Membrey plays like a midfielder at times - he might even make a great one one day - but the goals he's regularly kicking and creating for others will probably keep him up forward.
He must be one of the first players picked each week. And he's only just turned 22!

damienc
Club Player

The trade rumour tom toms are beating furiously but quietly behind the scenes. That is why I love and hate this time of year. Those drums seem to be suggesting that the Saints are extremely active and aggressive in wanting players to complement our list.

The biggest rumour is, and I do stress it is just a rumour, we are prepared to swap our pick 10 for Steele and Marchbank and we are in the box seat to land both. How good is that if it turns out to be true?

Saints also linked to the Giants Nick Haynes ( less likely I would have thought) and the Dogs Nathan Hrovat. I really like this kid they call the Rat. He is starved of opportuniy at the kennel. Too many young midfielders like Caleb Daniel, who we should have snaffled when we had the chance, are ahead of him. We were heavily into Hrovat in 2015. At that time Bains liked his ability to play inside and outside. Efficient kick, ball magnet who loves a contest. Out of contract at the end of 2016.

Could they be the three that people are talking about in terms of coming to the club? Two midfielders and a defender. If Richo thinks our opportunity to have a really good crack at a premiership has been brought forward because we had such a good year it would make sense for the club to really go for it in terms of recruiting to cover weaknesses in our list. Hrovat and Steele are tough nuts who like to win contested ball. So pressure, pressure, pressure. Again what we need.Two midfielders who have the potential to be elite. Marchbank a big kid who could easily develop into an elite key position defender. Can take a very good mark. Carlisle, Goddard and Marchbank. I like the sound of that.

Delaney is gone, Fisher and Dempster contract talks on hold. Carlisle even at his very best is not enough. Goddard is going to take time to develop and recover from his achilles injury. We must be up to something. And it would have to be big I would have thought.
Last edited by damienc on Fri 09 Sep 2016 7:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Playon
Club Player

I would suggest you've been listening to AFL trade whisperer, probably one of the last places I'd look for a rumor, but up to you,

We may offer 10 for Steele and Marchbank, however theres been rumors weve gone cold on Marchbank, and then theres further rumors that Carlton are still in the box seat.

Nathan Hrovat? Do we need a small forward?

Nick Haynes Just signed a 2 year deal. Possible? Got my doubts.

Further
WHE Collingwood supposed to be in the box seat

Weller not even a whisper

Laverde, stay a Bomber or Pies maybe a chance

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:The trade rumour tom toms are beating furiously but quietly behind the scenes. That is why I love and hate this time of year. Those drums seem to be suggesting that the Saints are extremely active and aggressive in wanting players to complement our list.

The biggest rumour is, and I do stress it is just a rumour, we are prepared to swap our pick 10 for Steele and Marchbank and we are in the box seat to land both. How good is that if it turns out to be true?

Saints also linked to the Giants Nick Haynes ( less likely I would have thought) and the Dogs Nathan Hrovat. I really like this kid they call the Rat. He is starved of opportuniy at the kennel. Too many young midfielders like Caleb Daniel, who we should have snaffled when we had the chance, are ahead of him. We were heavily into Hrovat in 2015. At that time Bains liked his ability to play inside and outside. Efficient kick, ball magnet who loves a contest. Out of contract at the end of 2016.

Could they be the three that people are talking about in terms of coming to the club? Two midfielders and a defender. If Richo thinks our opportunity to have a really good crack at a premiership has been brought forward because we had such a good year it would make sense for the club to really go for it in terms of recruiting to cover weaknesses in our list. Hrovat and Steele are tough nuts who like to win contested ball. So pressure, pressure, pressure. Again what we need.Two midfielders who have the potential to be elite. Marchbank a big kid who could easily develop into an elite key position defender. Can take a very good mark. Carlisle, Goddard and Marchbank. I like the sound of that.

Delaney is gone, Fisher and Dempster contract talks on hold. Carlisle even at his very best is not enough. Goddard is going to take time to develop and recover from his achilles injury. We must be up to something. And it would have to be big I would have thought.
How would you have "snaffled" Caleb Daniel exactly? Do tell.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
damienc
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
damienc wrote:The trade rumour tom toms are beating furiously but quietly behind the scenes. That is why I love and hate this time of year. Those drums seem to be suggesting that the Saints are extremely active and aggressive in wanting players to complement our list.

He was available to us in the draft but we took Lonie instead. I know who i would have preferred.

George27
Club Player

I recall a number of people on this site were pushing for us to draft Daniel at the time. ( happy to acknowledge I was not one of them) .We did indeed pick Lonie ahead of him and - to be fair - it seemed a good choice last year.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Caleb Daniel played well last night but he can cough it up when under pressure which he did against us.

Caleb and the Dogs were great last night but WC were terrible which helped their cause.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

He was available to us in the draft but we took Lonie instead. I know who i would have preferred.
Just saying Damienc that after the word preferred you should add the word "now" just so we don't mistake you as some hindsight "guru".

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Daniel is a soft as butter seagull, I hate watching him shirk contest after contest then people sing his praises because he can spot a target when he is in space.

This thread doesn't have enough Laverde, he is the one I really want after Steele.

Steele could be our best mid in a couple of years.

Marchbank is worth the risk, risk due to injury history. Imagine Marchbank as 3rd tall, Hugh as FB and Jake as CHB... salivates...

Frost should be on the radar considering he is a DFA.

EMac, um, do not want due to cost, as if Eagles would give him up for a 3rd round or worse pick

Weller will cost too much being contracted, I'd be inclined to wait a year unless the deal is a winner with Freo/GWS involved.

Those are the guys I'd like to think we are into and have a good chance at recruiting.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

In regard to Jaxon's cryptic hint "families coming together", everyone seems to have forgotten about Geelong's Jordan Murdoch, brother of Brodie. He is also rumoured to be on the trade table.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:In regard to Jaxon's cryptic hint "families coming together", everyone seems to have forgotten about Geelong's Jordan Murdoch, brother of Brodie. He is also rumoured to be on the trade table.
Doubt that's who Jaxons was referring to.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Kevin Walsh is joining the club. A second cousin of Darragh Joyce.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:In regard to Jaxon's cryptic hint "families coming together", everyone seems to have forgotten about Geelong's Jordan Murdoch, brother of Brodie. He is also rumoured to be on the trade table.
Doubt that's who Jaxons was referring to.
I hope not too. IMO any players that we trade in need to potentially very good players.

st sandy
Club Player

As referred to somewhere in this thread, it has to be Tom Lamb of West Coast
Family connection is Grandson of Ian Cooper - member of 1966 GF team.
Been on West Coast list for two years & not yet played a senier game (difficult team to brake into)

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st sandy wrote:As referred to somewhere in this thread, it has to be Tom Lamb of West Coast
Family connection is Grandson of Ian Cooper - member of 1966 GF team.
Been on West Coast list for two years & not yet played a senier game (difficult team to brake into)
He's played one game

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

They could play together at a VFL side I guess.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I keep hearing Jack Roo...

Scratch my head at that one though, makes no sense.