Lachie Weller to us?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lachie Weller to us?

Pav, lintonstreet, please don't derail the thread with personal sniping. Thanks.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

The freo fans love him too much, they would keep him for the future marketing potential alone.

Playon
Club Player

lintonstreet wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:Moot point.
Freo will never trade him.
have him tucked away till end of 2018.
Not a barrier enabling a trade between mutually consenting adults
???
Did you read my post - 'Freo will never trade him'.
ie. can never be mutually consenting if one party is not consenting!
So you were happy enough to say Fyfe was coming to us this year, who is under contract, yet Weller cant be traded for the same reason,

Give me a break

Billy's also under contract, just signed one. I guess that makes him untradeable.

You don't know what Lyon is thinking, what he requires for his list, what he perceives he needs to do to improve it. You have to give something to get something.
You don't know whats happened behind the scenes, maybe Weller is happy to go. Maybe things are different from last year to this year for Freo

The Weller trade is a rumor, nothing more. Will it happen? More chances of it not happening at this stage of the year, Does that mean it wont?
Its a lot easier to say "it Wont" as the odds are in your favor.

So do you have a source saying the Freo wont be trading Weller or are you just playing the odds?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Can trade contracted players mate. No issue.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
mambo2706
Club Player

Ben McEvoy still had two years to run on his contract with St Kilda when traded to the Hawks

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

If both club and player agree to a trade, then there is no breach of contract. So yes, of course contracted players can be traded.

It happens all the time.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

It's one thing to correctly point out that there is no bar on any player being traded but another to suggest, solely on the basis that his brother is playing for us, that Lachie Weller will be traded by Fremantle. He's been pretty good for them without being outstanding, has shown flair and gets a roar when he takes off down the wing. It's fair to say that Freo fans, facing a few rebuilding seasons outside the eight, would have cause to wonder just why an obviously decent signing was being traded.
The only circumstances under which he would appear likely to be traded would be at his own request as a result of homesickness or a desire to play with his brother. Naturally the local press has asked him and his manager about this on occasions and his straightforward response is that he is happy where he is.
I enjoy preseason speculation as much as, if not more than, most but there no basis to this particular rumour.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Hemi Baxter wrote:It's one thing to correctly point out that there is no bar on any player being traded but another to suggest, solely on the basis that his brother is playing for us, that Lachie Weller will be traded by Fremantle. He's been pretty good for them without being outstanding, has shown flair and gets a roar when he takes off down the wing. It's fair to say that Freo fans, facing a few rebuilding seasons outside the eight, would have cause to wonder just why an obviously decent signing was being traded.
The only circumstances under which he would appear likely to be traded would be at his own request as a result of homesickness or a desire to play with his brother. Naturally the local press has asked him and his manager about this on occasions and his straightforward response is that he is happy where he is.
I enjoy preseason speculation as much as, if not more than, most but there no basis to this particular rumour.
This discussion was due to Jaxson saying the club had been having discussions which may re-unite families!
It seems unlikely he was talking about Jack Riewoldt or BJ so it was assumed to be Lachie Weller.
Let's hope it comes to fruition!

One year will be our year
saint3d
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote:
Hemi Baxter wrote:It's one thing to correctly point out that there is no bar on any player being traded but another to suggest, solely on the basis that his brother is playing for us, that Lachie Weller will be traded by Fremantle. He's been pretty good for them without being outstanding, has shown flair and gets a roar when he takes off down the wing. It's fair to say that Freo fans, facing a few rebuilding seasons outside the eight, would have cause to wonder just why an obviously decent signing was being traded.
This discussion was due to Jaxson saying the club had been having discussions which may re-unite families!
It seems unlikely he was talking about Jack Riewoldt or BJ so it was assumed to be Lachie Weller.
You forgot Seb's cousin. Maybe that's why Nick has relinquished the captaincy. You'd have to give it to the guy who actually fought in Gallipoli.

longtimesaint
Club Player

saint3d wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
You forgot Seb's cousin. Maybe that's why Nick has relinquished the captaincy. You'd have to give it to the guy who actually fought in Gallipoli.
The chance of us trading in Jobe Watson would be a million to one.
Unless they packaged in BJ as well for a third rounder!

One year will be our year
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:
Gold. POTY :D

Playon
Club Player

bigred wrote:Can trade contracted players mate. No issue.
Yes I know.

One of the player managers was saying only just the other day that there will be more contracted players moving this year than OOC players and FA's combined.
Forget which one though

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

According to Jake Niall whilst watching 'On the Couch' last night... St Kilda are into about 10 players. So.. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what unfolds.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:According to Jake Niall whilst watching 'On the Couch' last night... St Kilda are into about 10 players. So.. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what unfolds.
Saw that.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:According to Jake Niall whilst watching 'On the Couch' last night... St Kilda are into about 10 players. So.. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what unfolds.

Makes sense as most deals will not fly. ie Players changing minds, only using us to pump up their salary at existing club, getting oubid....not being able offer a suitable trade back etc etc.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
lintonstreet
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:
saynta wrote:I don't agree everything has its price
Is there really a scenario that would see a club trade one of its three best players who were all under say 25?
Of course there is... Just that most often the price would be too high and not worth it.

Example, Nick Riewoldt circa 2004 untradeable right?
West Coast offer you Judd in his prime + Cox in his prime and to emphasise the point, + their first rounder

Anyone really going to say you wouldn't take that deal?

Obviously that trade would never happen because it's insanely biased... But the point is that every player has a price
I understand the concept but in reality no club will ever trade one of its elite young players. The point I made earlier is that lachie Weller is just that and I know Freo recognise it and on that basis will never trade him ATM.

I will stand corrected but I would be interested to know when a club has traded one of its elite young players because the price was too irresistable. I can't recall one?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote:
skeptic wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:
saynta wrote:I don't agree everything has its price
Is there really a scenario that would see a club trade one of its three best players who were all under say 25?
Of course there is... Just that most often the price would be too high and not worth it.

Example, Nick Riewoldt circa 2004 untradeable right?
West Coast offer you Judd in his prime + Cox in his prime and to emphasise the point, + their first rounder

Anyone really going to say you wouldn't take that deal?

Obviously that trade would never happen because it's insanely biased... But the point is that every player has a price
I understand the concept but in reality no club will ever trade one of its elite young players. The point I made earlier is that lachie Weller is just that and I know Freo recognise it and on that basis will never trade him ATM.

I will stand corrected but I would be interested to know when a club has traded one of its elite young players because the price was too irresistable. I can't recall one?

Kennedy as part of the deal to get Judd.

Russell Greene to Hawks (while he had been with us 6 seasons as he debuted at 16 he was still very young when we traded him.

In both cases the club gaining the young player got the better of deal in the long run.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....