List cull crystal ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

List cull crystal ball

Here's my two bobs worth:

Delist: Tom Curren
CameroN Shenton
Josh Saunders
Brodie Murdoch
Tom Lee
Luke Delaney
Jason Holmes
The kiwi rookie

Sam fisher to stay on rookie list

Reasons: Curren, I've always liked and rated, my post history will back it up but tough calls need to be made now to refresh our list with 18yo talent. Shenton ditto, always liked and rated him but now doesn't fit our age profile.
Saunders and Murdoch given long enough and just appear good enough. Need to make way for more potential talent.
Delaney and Lee, both obviously not rated/trusted to get Ye job done this year despite plenty of chances to be picked and grad their opportunities.
Holmes: my post history says I was a fan of giving him a good chance to make it ala Mike pike at the swans, but with 3 young rucks all with the ability to be solid to excellent afl rucks. He's just superfluous to needs now and the 'feel good' factor should take a spot on the list of someone who could be a grade.

All in all, fairly brutal I know and it doesn't fill me with any joy for guys like Curren and shenton and I've been consistent in my posting history, but either luck or timing has meant these guys need to make way for potential Gen next...and it is exactly that. All these delisting allow new blood in, the chances of getting quality 200+ afl champs is slim but we won't know if we don't turn the list over. Just imo

robbie muir
Club Player

Re: List cull crystal ball

Lee , Curren , Shenton , Murdoch and Minchington

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Payne has been de-rookied. Very harsh considering he is only 19.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Payne has been de-rookied. Very harsh considering he is only 19.
You can be soft and stay in the bottom 8, or you can be ruthless and get back into the Top 4.

Club has already dedicated one rookie spot to one of the two Irish lads, and another looks to be going to Fisher unless we land an experienced key backman for the senior list.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Here's my two bobs worth:

CameroN Shenton
Josh Saunders
Brodie Murdoch
Tom Lee
Luke Delaney
Jason Holmes
The kiwi rookie

Reasons: Curren, I've always liked and rated, my post history will back it up but tough calls need to be made now to refresh our list with 18yo talent. Shenton ditto, always liked and rated him but now doesn't fit our age profile.
Saunders and Murdoch given long enough and just appear good enough. Need to make way for more potential talent.
Delaney and Lee, both obviously not rated/trusted to get Ye job done this year despite plenty of chances to be picked and grad their opportunities.
Holmes: my post history says I was a fan of giving him a good chance to make it ala Mike pike at the swans, but with 3 young rucks all with the ability to be solid to excellent afl rucks. He's just superfluous to needs now and the 'feel good' factor should take a spot on the list of someone who could be a grade.

All in all, fairly brutal I know and it doesn't fill me with any joy for guys like Curren and shenton and I've been consistent in my posting history, but either luck or timing has meant these guys need to make way for potential Gen next...and it is exactly that. All these delisting allow new blood in, the chances of getting quality 200+ afl champs is slim but we won't know if we don't turn the list over. Just imo
Sounds like a nice cull, but I can't see us being that aggressive, unless things have changed from previous years.

Still leaves fringe players like Lonie, Sinclair, Eli, Monchington as fringe players so it's not so silly

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
George27
Club Player

I agree with OP as to content and also sentiment - this is not a happy time of year, to let go of guys who have busted their guts for us.

We have to make room for Carlisle ( remember Holmes was elevated for him), plus I suspect they will elevate Coughlan. So I think will need to drop 6 from senior list at least, to allow 4 or 5 recruits. Saunders is a rookie so he does not clear a place on the senior list, ditto Joe Baker-Thomas. So that leaves the other 6 you nominated, plus maybe Chips back to rookie list.

If those other lads go, then they go with our best wishes. All played senior footy for the Sainters, and gave their all.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

robbie muir wrote:Lee , Curren , Shenton , Murdoch and Minchington
Minch has been serviceable this year. Great for I50 pressure acts. I'd be surprised if culled. Possibly trade bait however

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Mostly agree with the OP. Obviously we can add Payne to that list and I suspect Holmes will be retained if we trade Longer.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

One would imagine that papers are stamped for Curren, Saunders, Shenton, Baker-Thomas ... Clearly not interested in playing them...
Murdoch has been surpassed

You would think that given our lack of depth one of Lee and Delaney may have a chance unless we recruit another key back which we almost certainly will IMO

Holmes i reckon is a decent back up player and hope he gets another year

older saint
SS Life Member

Saint wagga wrote:Here's my two bobs worth:

CameroN Shenton
Josh Saunders
Brodie Murdoch
Tom Lee
Luke Delaney
Jason Holmes
The kiwi rookie

100% agree, brutal business

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Bardon Saint wrote:
robbie muir wrote:Lee , Curren , Shenton , Murdoch and Minchington
Minch has been serviceable this year. Great for I50 pressure acts. I'd be surprised if culled. Possibly trade bait however
I agree. Seems absurd to delist him. I thought he showed some great signs this year.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!