f*** you umpires you cheats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

derby Street
Club Player

Re: f*** you umpires you cheats

WellardSaint wrote:A few weeks ago, Rooey took a mark just on 50, not sure if it was against Norf, his opponent hadn't been near him (so not in the contest) and player actually ran a further 5 metres over the mark, Rooey called for 50 but was ignored. Player told to get back on mark.

Dylan Roberton marks his spot, didn't get asked to come back. 50m called straight up, as if ump was angry at our Saints and wanted to make a stand.
Against Bulldogs? It was an obvious 50 metres - unbelievable (except against the saints :)

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:A few weeks ago, Rooey took a mark just on 50, not sure if it was against Norf, his opponent hadn't been near him (so not in the contest) and player actually ran a further 5 metres over the mark, Rooey called for 50 but was ignored. Player told to get back on mark.

Dylan Roberton marks his spot, didn't get asked to come back. 50m called straight up, as if ump was angry at our Saints and wanted to make a stand.
Spot on, WS. I actually thought the Roberton penalty was worse than the ridiculously soft one paid against Gilbert. My partner, who's a transplanted pom who confesses to not knowing too much about the game, but even she turned to me at the time of DR!s "transgression" and said, "isn't the umpire supposed to warn him or tell him to get back before giving 50?" Out of the mouths of innocents, eh? Actually, I like getting her feedback as she has no bias whatsoever. Means she's not a real Sainter, just supports me and enjoys the colour and movement. I'm not normally an umpire basher, but Nicholls had a shocker and seemed hell bent on punishing us. He missed several obvious frees and was far too keen to dish out 50's against us. Should be umpiring at Upper Combuckta West this week.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:I just watched a replay of the third quarter and noticed another Nicholls moment - when Joey kicked that long goal, Nicholls actually called 'play on' as he ran in to take his kick.
Joey did nothing more than approach the kick with an arc - much less of an arc than the 'Buddy arc'.
And yet that piece of umpiring felt the need to call 'play on'.
I believe it is not corruption but just the 'mindset' of this guy. His decisions are based on pre-conceived notions he comes into the game with.
And I think that Umpire Schmidt has been incorrectly left out of the conversation as his decisions were equally as perplexing last night.

We are a team that relies heavily on our tackling pressure to create stoppages/turnovers and we were barely rewarded for our tackling effort last night.
Time after time Sydney players were tackled with the ball and were allowed an unexplainably long time to 'attempt to dispose of the footy' (often by just dropping it) If they didn't manage to do that then the umpires conveniently called a stoppage. They rarely called the correct decision (IMHO) which should have been a free kick against the Swans player.
Virtually no reward for our effort.

Oh and BTW, Parkers fend to McKenzie's face/head was as blatant a 'missed free' as you could find. It's so blatantly a free kick it belongs on the AFL DVD that they hand out each year to explain decisions.
Sheer incompetence on behalf of the umpires to fail to see/call it.
I know Mat Nichols well. A really good fella off the ground and a good family man.

He totally lost it on Saturday night though. The 50 against Robbo was just being pedantic and letting his power go to his head. I don't know how I'll react when I see him next...I'm glad it wasn't on Saturday night or he would have copped a mouthful.

You're right in identifying Umpire Schmidt. He was the one who got things rolling for the Swans in the 3rd quarter. Nicholls took over but Schmidt made some absolutely disgraceful decisions. Our forwards were held, had arms chopped, faces pushed into the turf (which when happened to Papley was a free plus a automatic 50m!).

Schmidt changed the game with his decision making in the 3rd quarter. When we were desperate for a goal to stem the bleeding, he either ignored an obvious free to us or paid it the other way. Utterly disgusting.

resaintlee
Club Player

What would the betting odds be for a 10 goal win by the Swans at half time? Decisions, and the many more non-decisions, by all the umpires had an incredible influence on the game and needs to be investigated. Why would they risk their jobs on the big stage? Surely not out of spite and surely not due to incompetence.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

What was the problem with the 50 against Roberton? He walked about 3m over the mark.

Worse was the one not given to Gilbert when the ball was returned to the umpires feet.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

It descended into a bit of a park game of footy late in the match.. umpires very much included. Buddy and Sydney were awesome in the 3rd so they really didn't need the umpires help in getting them going coming out of the half but got it anyway. Blinked and all momentum was gone and a totally different feel had come over the match. I often wonder if AFL umpires have enough feel on a match to know when they've assisted in big momentum swings in any given game of footy...

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

prwilkinson wrote:It descended into a bit of a park game of footy late in the match.. umpires very much included. Buddy and Sydney were awesome in the 3rd so they really didn't need the umpires help in getting them going coming out of the half but got it anyway. Blinked and all momentum was gone and a totally different feel had come over the match. I often wonder if AFL umpires have enough feel on a match to know when they've assisted in big momentum swings in any given game of footy...
They know they've changed the game, they love being in control.
Human nature is that we take pride in seeing the results of our actions. Like doing painting at home, stand back and admire your work.
They're given instructions to concentrate on things like deliberate OOB, so they feel good about themselves.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:It descended into a bit of a park game of footy late in the match.. umpires very much included. Buddy and Sydney were awesome in the 3rd so they really didn't need the umpires help in getting them going coming out of the half but got it anyway. Blinked and all momentum was gone and a totally different feel had come over the match. I often wonder if AFL umpires have enough feel on a match to know when they've assisted in big momentum swings in any given game of footy...
They know they've changed the game, they love being in control.
Human nature is that we take pride in seeing the results of our actions. Like doing painting at home, stand back and admire your work.
They're given instructions to concentrate on things like deliberate OOB, so they feel good about themselves.
They'd achieve the same outcome if they went and flogged themselves after the game.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Go here; http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay

You can choose G -goals, 50m penalties and CM (contested marks)

Choose CM firstly and have a look at the different treatment from umpires in regard to 50m penalties

With 4 minutes to go in the first quarter Membrey takes a contested mark and Dane Rampe shoves him firmly in the back causing the skunk to face plant into the fence...It's late, it's a dangerous act and clearly no realistic attempt at spoiling the footy

Now choose 50m PENALTY. There were 3 paid in the last quarter to Sydney only

Have a look at the second one paid against Gilbo. He's clearly attempting to spoil the footy with his hand just touching the ball as Buddy marked it. There's minimal incidental contact and Buddy fell over because he was unbalanced and not because of any late contact or forceful shove in the back. The commentators are even perplexed but what's even stranger is when you compare it with the Rampe non 50

The fend off, the bump on Chips, the zero 50's to us, and the non frees when we tackled them. On their own you'd forgive one or two mistakes but there's too many non decisions that should have been in our favour for it all to be a coincidence

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Toby Nankervis cleared contact SFisher. Panel said Nankervis braced for contact. Action was not a bumping motion and not reportable.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Not one s*** decision of the many from our game was deemed worth showing on the Whistleblowers crap little vid on the afl site.

Not one.

The ones they did show were actually disgraceful decisions from other games. What was once our game has become a farce.

I wont be watching any of the finals, they can go and get f***ed

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

kosifantutti wrote:Toby Nankervis cleared contact SFisher. Panel said Nankervis braced for contact. Action was not a bumping motion and not reportable.
Sam Fisher (Stk) can accept 2 weeks for headbutting Nankervis (Syd) with early plea. Panel said Fisher initiated contact to Nankervis's shoulder, and St Kilda have been fined $10000 for submitting inaccurate medical report in attempt to lessen suspension

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Toby Nankervis cleared contact SFisher. Panel said Nankervis braced for contact. Action was not a bumping motion and not reportable.
intent is not the issue.
The end result is the problem.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

It appears the AFL playbook says football is NOT basketball, unless it's the Swans, then use basketball rules.
And what about DMac getting a vicious don't argue in the face. Didn't get looked at.
Is Nathan Burke still on the MRP?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

That's f***ed. The AFL is stage managed and rigged like WWE

Barry Hall's punch to Gooses guts was in play.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
intent is not the issue.
I watched this again. Fisher gets to the ball, knocks it on and has virtually stopped. Nankervis charging through past the ball has to brace himself to protect himself from a stationary opponent.

He braces so well that his feet leave the ground.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Early in the year, Mumford of GWS (are we seeing a Sydney bias here?) got no case to answer when Cats Mitch Duncan ran into Mummy.
MRP is trying to be consistent. Sydney (either swans or giants) are deemed to have "braced for contact"

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I watched it in slow mo. Nankervis chose to bump and he chose to connect with the point of his shoulder to Chip's head. The AFL has better technology than I do so they would have seen the exact same thing.

Nothing to do with the rules or fairness. It's a busines decision. How would it look if there's suspensions each week? The less suspensions and fines and the less that is reported on these incidents is better for the brand and better for the promotion of the sport.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
intent is not the issue.
I watched this again. Fisher gets to the ball, knocks it on and has virtually stopped. Nankervis charging through past the ball has to brace himself to protect himself from a stationary opponent.

He braces so well that his feet leave the ground.
nice pick up. I just watched it 8 times on stop-start on the Hunger Games website, and you, sir, are 100% correct.
Sam had stopped. He was bracing for impact; which when it came, knocked him flying.
The swine was coming fullpelt like Usain Bloody Bolt.
What a crock the MRP is.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Remember how Dane Rampe in a match up in Sydney was running towards goal to spoil a kick? He desperately tries to get a finger on the footy and he collided with the female goal umpire. Here's a guy running at full speed and he knows there's about to be a collision.

Instead of bracing and turning the point of his shoulder so that he smashes her jaw, Dane chose to grab her and gently slow down while making sure that he hung on to her so she didn't get knocked over. That...is a brace you fuckn filthy cheating corrupt incompetent pricks!! That is showing duty of care. Nankervis chose to bump and he chose to hit Chips on the jaw with the point of his shoulder.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

And surprise surprise that little c*** Boomer only got a fine. Careless and low impact.

What a f****** farce

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:What was the problem with the 50 against Roberton? He walked about 3m over the mark.

Worse was the one not given to Gilbert when the ball was returned to the umpires feet.
He was given no warning or instruction he may have been over the mark. How many times in a game do you hear an umpire say, "come back a metre", or something similar. They even blow the whistle to stop the game while the man on the mark complies. Yes, Roberton was over by a couple of metres at worst, but the arrogant little flog just immediately waved him back to the goal line. Didn even look at Robbo. No wonder they get no respect. If they were çonsistent they would've had to pay 40 similar ones on the night.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:What was the problem with the 50 against Roberton? He walked about 3m over the mark.

From memory McVeigh had taken the mark and had turned his back to goal - obviously going back to take his shot

Roberton ran in and marked the ground where he thought the mark had been taken - obviously from replays we can see that he marked the ground forward from where the mark was taken BUT it is conceivable that Roberton didnt see where the mark was taken if he was busy marking another opponent in the lead up to the mark.

Bottom line is that Umpire Dicholls should have run in and shown him where the mark was or at least given him the benefit of the doubt and told him to come back - it wasnt as if McVeigh was looking to play on as he was definitely looking to have a shot

It was lazy and extremely bad umpiring - even just going to the mark and making sure McVeigh was on the right line - standard procedure he didnt carry out

My view is that Umpire Dicholls was out to prove a point and was hellbent on nailing us any indiscretion no matter how minor ....... and he did

It was a shocking display of incompetent and careless umpiring and his performance should be looked into ...................... but we know it wont

As for the one not given to Gilbert - re: ball being thrown back at the umpires feet - even the commentators remarked on it and it is incredible that not 1 but 3 field umpires didnt pick up on it - that is just substandard officiating - still shaking my head how that particular 50 wasn't given but the other 3 were

As for umpire Schitt well his name says it all
Last edited by Devilhead on Mon 15 Aug 2016 6:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
ctqs
Club Player

Let's just call it for what it is. The AFL wants certain teams to win the GF. We're not one of them. I've been saying for a while now that if either Sydney or GWS wins it this year, it will make the AFL the most successful club in modern times, winning flags in 2001, 02, 03, 05, 06, runners up in 07, and winning again in 12. The AFL only cares enough to keep us afloat for two reasons - so Docklands gets enough games to pay it off and so the nine-game rounds continue for the tv rights. They don't care if we don't turn up to games because it only hurts club revenue. We're worth more to the league sitting at home watching it on the TV.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:

From memory McVeigh had taken the mark and had turned his back to goal - obviously going back to take his shot

Roberton ran in and marked the ground where he thought the mark had been taken - obviously from replays we can see that he marked the ground forward from where the mark was taken BUT it is conceivable that Roberton didnt see where the mark was taken if he was busy marking another opponent in the lead up to the mark.

Bottom line is that Umpire Dicholls should have run in and shown him where the mark was or at least given him the benefit of the doubt and told him to come back - it wasnt as if McVeigh was looking to play on as he was definitely looking to have a shot

It was lazy and extremely bad umpiring - even just going to the mark and making sure McVeigh was on the right line - standard procedure he didnt carry out

My view is that Umpire Dicholls was out to prove a point and was hellbent on nailing us any indiscretion no matter how minor ....... and he did

It was a shocking display of incompetent and careless umpiring and his performance should be looked into ...................... but we know it wont

As for the one not given to Gilbert - re: ball being thrown back at the umpires feet - even the commentators remarked on it and it is incredible that not 1 but 3 field umpires didnt pick up on it - that is just substandard officiating - still shaking my head how that particular 50 wasn't given but the other 3 were

As for umpire Schitt well his name says it all
Moron number 15 totally lost the plot when he gave Buddy the 50 after a pissy little push that Buddy dived after getting.

The arsehole was like a junkie on crack.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.