2016 Draft and Trade thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Playon
Club Player

2016 Draft and Trade thread

Were well into the silly season surprised that no one has started this thread yet. thought I'd kick it off with a few rumors, not facts :)

Tom Rockliff
Rockcliff has said that he's happy to remain at the Lions, but the rumor still persists as there's supposed to be more to it than meets the eye, some in the media still saying
they're getting word from player manages etc that a move might still be on the cards.

Zac Clarke
A Free Agent.Were supposed to have some interest, but I've got doubts on this one, Unless were looking for a Rucking Forward and we'd simply have too many rucks on the list.
Would we be looking to trade a one out?

Brad Crouch
A lot of talk about him but I think that's all it is,Cant see anywhere that he's linked to us

Jaegar Omeara
Still being linked to us, but are we still interested? After his latest setbacks, who knows? Doubtful?

Will Hoskin-Elliott
Rumor from BF that we may be looking at him

Jack Steele
Well we've all seen the media statement from the club. Looks like we'll push hard to get him

Caleb Marchbank
Were supposed to have some interest, but how much? Perhaps if we miss our on Hurley we'll have a lot more
A bundle deal might be a good way to go with GWS

Michael Hurley
Cat and mouse game. Were interested were not interested.Were supposed to of tabled 2 offers to date
Good call stonecold

And now
Michael Hurley on St Kilda’s radar, says coach Alan Richardson
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... aa10f1cf67

Flog Lloyd also making claims the the Bombers aren't interested in picks and want a Rance type player in return.

Do we have to trade with Dildo again? 900k a year for Hurley and who knows the draft cost
Doggies leading the race, but there quite a few clubs interested.

SEN reported they were hearing that were linked to every second player

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2016 Draft and Trade thread

Every year player's that are looking for more money get linked to whatever club/clubs that are seemingly on the rise .
This year its us !

Also , all 18 coaches be would looking at any of these players to see who they believe would make their team better .
I don't mind who we get as long as we don't pay overs for them .

I said last year after the Carlisle BS , that we should never deal with the bummers again and i'll stick to that

In red white and black from 73
sasaint
Club Player

Agree that we should be very reticent in dealing with Dons. That shouldn't stop us from bidding up the price of Hurley. The best outcome is to offer him a large 2018 package that allows him to walk at the end of next year as a free agent. In the meantime use our 1st round pick on a gun mid or trade for equivalent.

Patience young grasshopper
bergsone
SS Life Member

Hard to keep up with all this.Are we still into Prestia and Gaff ?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Forgot all about Andrew Gaff

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Gaff has re signed.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Playon
Club Player

bergsone wrote:Hard to keep up with all this.Are we still into Prestia and Gaff ?
Gaff has re-signed and Pestia doesn't seem to be on our radar. Tigers are front runners for Prestia but Blues amongst others interested

Playon
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote:Every year player's that are looking for more money get linked to whatever club/clubs that are seemingly on the rise .
This year its us !

Also , all 18 coaches be would looking at any of these players to see who they believe would make their team better .
I don't mind who we get as long as we don't pay overs for them .

I said last year after the Carlisle BS , that we should never deal with the bummers again and i'll stick to that
Well its good to hear SEN saying what the club has already said and thats that were a destination club.

But we have at least 3 things going for us.
1 Were on the rise
2 We building at brand new training facility
3 We have plenty of cash

It's an attractive offer for players looking for a move.

As far as Hurley goes I'd expect we'd have to offer 900k over 5 years and the bombers will probably open with we want 2 first rounders.

The last thing I want is to deal with them again

evo
Club Player

I know Hawthorn and Carlton are into him but why are we not interested in Sydney's Tom Mitchell ? His manager has been shopping him around.

Wombat15
Club Player

evo wrote:I know Hawthorn and Carlton are into him but why are we not interested in Sydney's Tom Mitchell ? His manager has been shopping him around.
I know he's good and has tagging ability but do we need another "short" midfielder?
we've already got our own version in seb ross. I reckon we are better off trying to get another big mid like Steele. I know you cant value height over talent but we cant have a side thats too short. Its pretty much the whole reason the doggies didnt make a grand final during their peak in the 2008-10.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:
evo wrote:I know Hawthorn and Carlton are into him but why are we not interested in Sydney's Tom Mitchell ? His manager has been shopping him around.
I know he's good and has tagging ability but do we need another "short" midfielder?
we've already got our own version in seb ross. I reckon we are better off trying to get another big mid like Steele. I know you cant value height over talent but we cant have a side thats too short. Its pretty much the whole reason the doggies didnt make a grand final during their peak in the 2008-10.
Gee,there is some rubbish posted on here about Seb Ross.

He is neither short nor slow.

In fact he and Steele are both listed at 187cm with 1 k difference in weight.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

My preferences are Steele and then Marchbank. Both if possible.

I am not all that interested in the others although if we can get Hurley for nothing obviously that would be a massive win.

If I had to to bet I would say we have a good shot at Steele. I think Marchbank will head to Carlton along with Tomlinson.

Hurley - I dont know. Seems like the Dees have a shot because of relationship with Goodwin and Melksham.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I will throw up.....well not literally......but it will be "Not Happy Jan" if we go after O'Meara.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:I will throw up.....well not literally......but it will be "Not Happy Jan" if we go after O'Meara.
Totally agree - it will mean the club has learnt nothing from their history of trade disasters eg Andrew Lovett, Luke Penny, Jack Watts, Barry Brooks and there are many more.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:I will throw up.....well not literally......but it will be "Not Happy Jan" if we go after O'Meara.
Totally agree - it will mean the club has learnt nothing from their history of trade disasters eg Andrew Lovett, Luke Penny, Jack Watts, Barry Brooks and there are many more.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:
Nothing wrong with any of those other than Lovett. Penny Watts and Brooks all suffered career ending injuries while playing with us.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Especially since he's just gone in for arthroscopic surgery on his knee and won't play this season:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-10/i ... for-season

I would be disappointed if we went down this path, especially since we've already missed so much time out of Carlisle and Freeman.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:
Nothing wrong with any of those other than Lovett. Penny Watts and Brooks all suffered career ending injuries while playing with us.
Penny had a well known degenerative knee injury while he was at the Bulldogs, which ended his career aftr a couple with the Saints.

Who did we give up to get Brooks - Darry Wakelin 250 games CHB and Brooks was a flop. He had an ACL injury but that wasnt why he failed.

We only traded for Watts because his father was the CEO. Yes Watts did injure his ankle with us but never should have been at the club.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:
CURLY wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:
Penny had a well known degenerative knee injury while he was at the Bulldogs, which ended his career aftr a couple with the Saints.

Who did we give up to get Brooks - Darry Wakelin 250 games CHB and Brooks was a flop. He had an ACL injury but that wasnt why he failed.

We only traded for Watts because his father was the CEO. Yes Watts did injure his ankle with us but never should have been at the club.
Watts was an outstanding junior and had just kicked 8-10 goals in a SANFL Prelim as a 19 year old so he was well worth the trade. Brooks did both knees hardly his fault or the clubs for taking a chance on highly rated junior ruckman. Im not sure about the truth in the Penny call as he was offered large contracts by numerous clubs.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Who is on the trade table then.

So far we heard some rumours on who is available but who can we afford to let go and who would be on the radar of other clubs.

Im going to offer up a few names and see what the concensus is.

Lee
Curren
Minchington
Longer
Shenton
Lonie
Sinclair
Webster
Templeton

I expect to cop some grief about 1 or 2 of the names there but I consider the rest of our list as keepers or as yet untried.

Also please consider I am looking for opinions not abuse.

I am one of the people that wanted to trade Zeb Ross last year so I'm no expert.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The only name on the above list I would query is Sinclair. The rest I believe are tradeable.

I wonder how Paul Ahern is going in his recovery. He could be a better pick up than Steele.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:The only name on the above list I would query is Sinclair. The rest I believe are tradeable.

I wonder how Paul Ahern is going in his recovery. He could be a better pick up than Steele.

Meatball wont be traded. Current coach loves him as did the previous one.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
borderbarry wrote:The only name on the above list I would query is Sinclair. The rest I believe are tradeable.

Meatball wont be traded. Current coach loves him as did the previous one.
I would tend to agree but I believe we are at a point where we would only trade to improve our talent base.

Would you believe Minch would have significant value elsewhere?

Wombat15
Club Player

saynta wrote:
Wombat15 wrote:
Gee,there is some rubbish posted on here about Seb Ross.

He is neither short nor slow.

In fact he and Steele are both listed at 187cm with 1 k difference in weight.
I was meaning as a ball winning and Tagging mid when required, the short part came off wrong. Ross isnt overly quick which is the whole reason hes been pushed inside more. can break away when required but id much prefer him as a clearance player compared to an outside mid.