Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainters85
Club Player

Dunstan

Gun.. Really breaking in now. Might be the best from our 2013 draftees

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Re: Dunstan

Geez he looked good in traffic tonight, looking forward to next season, Ross Dunstan Acres Gresham. New age midfield.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

This is a piss-take yeah???

he was poor ...

My opinion on him stands ... until he proves otherwise

He is not an AFL quality mid
Slow, and fumbles.... he's getting a great run at it, and doesnt do enough to justify his spot

Billings
Might have had good skills in the U18
Ive seen average skills from him this year at AFL level... maybe because of his intensity he is always under the pressure.. but he fumbles, he misses targets by hand and foot and he's not shown me anything outside two games that he is top end elite.
Dal is and has always been elite with the ball... even in his first season... JB is not
his kicking is not as good as minchington

SuperDuper
Club Player

Dunstan had a shocking first half... really poor.

I for one still think he will become a very good player .. needs to keep improving and will

sainters85
Club Player

BigMart wrote:This is a piss-take yeah???

he was poor ...

My opinion on him stands ... until he proves otherwise

He is not an AFL quality mid
Slow, and fumbles.... he's getting a great run at it, and doesnt do enough to justify his spot

Billings
Might have had good skills in the U18
Ive seen average skills from him this year at AFL level... maybe because of his intensity he is always under the pressure.. but he fumbles, he misses targets by hand and foot and he's not shown me anything outside two games that he is top end elite.
Dal is and has always been elite with the ball... even in his first season... JB is not
his kicking is not as good as minchington
You've got to be joking about Dunstan..

Billings has been quite poor. Shaping to be our Jack Watts.

However he was alright tonight. Beautiful kick except for SET SHOTS. but yeah fumbles too much. Has no confidence

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Lifted when bigger names didnt or couldn't tonight

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

12 possessions... and played in the centre square. That just doesn't cut it... and don't give me this - he does a lot of bullocking crap... Cunnington bullocks and wins clearances.

The North inside mids flogged him and Armo to the point of embarrassment.

With Jack being tagged, he did not step up and get 25...

If he doesnt get dropped next week... somethings amiss

Griggsy
SS Life Member

He didn't step up and get 25? 25 was our highest possession getter, better drop everyone. 22 was second best.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

hence we lost easily and not everyone gets 80 mins in the midfield

and
he doesnt get 20 very often... he averages 17ppg which would be the lowest for any centre square mid in the league

he's a below average mid.. and that being nice. I once compared him to Stephen Powell...and thats being overley complimentary... Powelly was a good player

Ned Stark
Club Player

Disagree with BigMart. Unreasonably harsh and short sighted assessment. I think Luke definitely needs to improve his tank and get some more cheap outside touches on the spread. He is too focused on the hard core inside work. I'm confident he will improve on those 2 areas. He's only 21 ffs. Powell was playing like this in his late 20s!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ned Stark wrote:Disagree with BigMart. Unreasonably harsh and short sighted assessment. I think Luke definitely needs to improve his tank and get some more cheap outside touches on the spread. He is too focused on the hard core inside work. I'm confident he will improve on those 2 areas. He's only 21 ffs. Powell was playing like this in his late 20s!
He is given a tough gig every week and he's doing okay. We still have won 7 out of our last 10 games.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

he gets a heck of a lot more of it than possessions show. every game count the number of times he is able to stop the opposition getting the ball out of a maul, and then obviously is immediately locked in by others. stops a lot of clearances with his hard inside work.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Should be tougher on Armo really. Where has he been all year. Zero clearances tonight. He should have stood up when Jack was being tagged out of it. What's happened to him, he was a raging bull last year racking up 40 disposals on occasions.

I personally thought Dunstan was ok tonight.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk
Last edited by 8856brother on Sat 30 Jul 2016 11:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

he didnt stop too many clearances tonight!

Why is he a sacred cow... He's a slow, averagely skilled mid who has not got the tank to spread.

I think he is barely any good inside... And was schooled tonight

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Should be tougher on Armo really. Where has he been all year. Zero clearances tonight. He should have stood up when Jack was beinv tagged out of it. What's happened to him, he was a raging bull last year racking up 40 disposals on occasions.

I personally thought Dunstan was ok tonight.

This. Is he injured, kudos if so. Otherwise he's been really poor
Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Bring back the Lockett era
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

desertsaint wrote: every game count the number of times he is able to stop the opposition getting the ball out of a maul, and then obviously is immediately locked in by others. stops a lot of clearances with his hard inside work.
This.

His off the ball work is the best in our team by a mile. They just dont record those acts as stats - so he doesnt get the recognition he deserves from the general football public who are focused on the stats sheets.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Zed wrote:
desertsaint wrote: every game count the number of times he is able to stop the opposition getting the ball out of a maul, and then obviously is immediately locked in by others. stops a lot of clearances with his hard inside work.
This.

His off the ball work is the best in our team by a mile. They just dont record those acts as stats - so he doesnt get the recognition he deserves from the general football public who are focused on the stats sheets.
+1 and 1. Had the binoculars trained in him tonight and he worked very hard for little credit.

Always loyal
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

id rather he just win the ball at stoppage and get a few kicks like his opponents do... being flogged at stppage, at contested ball and uncontested ball is not a recipe for winning in the midfield... even if you are doing 'unrecognised' work off the ball... which every mid/player does. i'd love his to get a kick or two... and influence a game

stats are onlty worthless if they work against your argument

shrodes
SS Life Member

SemperFidelis wrote:
Zed wrote:
This.

+1 and 1. Had the binoculars trained in him tonight and he worked very hard for little credit.
I agree. It's like some people on here either don't watch the footy, or don't really understand how it works beyond possessions and goals. There's more to a player's effort than the obvious stuff.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Sorrry but no: all relevant stats, shepherds, pressure acts etc are tabulated obssessively. You won't get too much support for your Dunstan plug until, at the very least, he learns how to kick. His endeavour is first class but his skills are well behind.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Dunstan is below average. I cannot believe the mid opportunities he's had & continues to have despite poor output. Too slow, average skills & not an accumulator. No tricks.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So he does what??

he cant chase, he cant spread, he cant run out of a stoppage, he hasnt got good hands, hes not a great kick... he's an inside mid who doesnt get his hands on the pill.

Minchinton and Wright got more of the ball tonight playing as small fwds who are really just defensive chasers.

seriously
Name another inside mid in the afl whos played every game and doesnt at least get it 20 times a game

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Be honest, Dunstan was average tonight. Not terrible, he has a crack but was well beaten.
Due a spell in the magoos

Nee!
Ned Stark
Club Player

What was BM posting about Seb Ross two years ago when he was the same age as LD? I'm guessing the same ill conceived rubbish as the above.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

fugazi wrote:Be honest, Dunstan was average tonight. Not terrible, he has a crack but was well beaten.
Due a spell in the magoos
Jack Steven was well down tonight as were quite a number of others. Perhaps no coincidence that a number of our 'pressure merchants' were down tonight and we lose.. You could just as easily mount a case for Minch or Savage to be dropped back to Sandy as you could for Dunstan. Having said that, if Eli and Sinclair keep banging the door down at Sandy someone has to make way to give them a run.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.