For those who don't want us to make the finals this year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

For those who don't want us to make the finals this year

Are not true supporters sorry.

Even if we make it and get thrashed, isn't that better than missing out altogether?

Seriously, we went through 18 years of no finals from the early 70's to early 90's.

Siem people have no idea what that was like.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: For those who don't want us to make the finals this year

There is another benifit also which makes me smile. the higher up the ladder we finish , the cheaper Freeman gets.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:There is another benifit also which makes me smile. the higher up the ladder we finish , the cheaper Freeman gets.
I see your point - but not really - that pick was spent last year - the higher up we finish the worse our first pick will be - but .....

What an inspiration for the kids next year - We are closer - those who dared to dream about 10 wins - it happens on Saturday!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ctqs
Club Player

I'd rather make a duck in Test cricket than a ton in z-grade. I cannot believe some people don't want us to be the best we can be and make finals.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

'
Finals (any) have a nice footy feel. The way that we are currently playing would be a great "taste" for the boys.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Financially good for the club too.

I must admit though, I had a real fear that we'd have a random, 'over-achieving' year this season that would create a false economy and prevent us from getting another decent crack at the Draft - which I still believe we very much need.

We simply do not have the talent on our list to be a genuine contender when our time comes. We need to add talent.

Now having said that, seeing as we've already won 9 games and realistically can't finish in the bottom 4 - we may as well go as far as we can go!

The obvious worry about making it this season (not that I think we will, but hypothetically) is that young guys can sub-consciously take the foot off the pedal a bit when it all comes so fast. Doesn't always happen, and if it doesn't then the positives of the experience and the reward for effort far outweighs any other potential negative.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I'd love us to make finals, just don't want to see disappointment if we fall short. Once you are relying on others to fall over its out of your hands anyway.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
saynta wrote:There is another benifit also which makes me smile. the higher up the ladder we finish , the cheaper Freeman gets.
I see your point - but not really - that pick was spent last year - the higher up we finish the worse our first pick will be - but .....

What an inspiration for the kids next year - We are closer - those who dared to dream about 10 wins - it happens on Saturday!!!
We got Freeman with next years 2nd rounder. THE filth would have been hoping we finish down the bottom.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

If we made the finals it would be awesome. Geelong or Bulldogs at Etihad sounds nice too.

stonecold
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
I see your point - but not really - that pick was spent last year - the higher up we finish the worse our first pick will be - but ....

We got Freeman with next years 2nd rounder. THE filth would have been hoping we finish down the bottom.
Spot on Saynta, if we win the flag, that will be about pick somewhere in the mid 30's!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

We need to win every game from here on end to get in.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Lets say we make the finals.
It will be in 8th place and it will be North Melbourne or maybe just maybe Bulldogs that we have displaced.
We play the team in 5th place with them having home state advantage.
That team will come from GWS, Sydney, Geelong, West Coast, Adelaide, Bulldogs or maybe North Melbourne.
I can't see the AFL allowing Geelong a home game at Cardinia Park against us, Bulldogs or maybe North at Etihad the same, so make those games at the MCG.
We would have a 2 in 6 chance of playing at the MCG but more likely a 4 in 6 chance of playing interstate.
Win that game and once again we are more likely to be playing interstate.

Until we are out of contention the club will select the best available team.
Should we get beat by North Melbourne, the club would be free to rotate some of the lesser players out of the team and give some of the guys who have been playing well at Sandy a run.
That would provide encouragement to those players while they are making that hard slog in the heat over summer pre season training.
It may or may not lead to us getting a top 10 pick after the interstate clubs use their academy players to queue jump at the draft.

Your choice sainters, I believe either scenario may be considered in the clubs best interest.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:

As it stands the filth will spend their second round pick before they get to spend our seconder. Ha! ha! ha!
Well done Sainters. Remember the Alamo, remember Luke Ball

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:We need to win every game from here on end to get in.
no, we can afford to lose to Swans if we win the rest as I can't see North winning more than one of last 4 if they lose to us.

Wombat15
Club Player

^^^^
you are exactly right on both counts.

just to add to it i can see both angles. i think the biggest worry for me is that we may jump the gun too early and do a port adelaide. This may cause us to think we are better than we really are. realistically we have had a favourable draw we get to play all the bottom 6 sides from last year pretty much twice and the difference between our best and worst is atrocious. i could handle the early losses because at least we took it to P.A, Hawks and North. but the blow outs are the issue.
ON the plus side, making finals would be a fantastic morale boost for the club community as a whole. would mean the legacy for rooey and joey would be theyve gone full circle for the club and will be leaving it in the best shape possible. the experience from finals would be amazing for the young kids and could see how top picks like Gresh, Billings and McCartin handle a finals atmosphere. if we got thrashed and out in straight sets, bad luck but youve got to be in it to win it.
overall i think the main thing for the club would be not to get ahead of themselves and blow it all (trades and FA) on jumping the gun. realistically 2018 is our big year to make some real noise in the comp. 2017 will be about cementing a best 22 and getting some consistency and seeing the potential of billings, acres, paddy etc blokes who havent set the world on fire a chance to do so.
this thing about draft picks i think is a little bit overrated. we saw last year with the points system how easy it is to trade and get yourself back into the first round again. Think about it we traded PICK 5 got JC and Gresh whilst managing to stay in the first round.
In terms of the actual draft theres no clear #1 pick yet. theres about 7-8 kids who are in the mix at the moment. its not an overly strong draft but its solid from 1-20. theres a few like mccluggage and petrovski seton and brodie that will be very good footballers but youve still got venables, mcgrath, marshall etc all after that. i dont think its a draft you can miss on.
overall im enjoying the season nonetheless whatever it may bring.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

I think I posted this when it happened but met Newnes not long after the North Game and he was devastated. The hurt in his eyes was still raw. I would love them to make the finals just to destroy that hurt. Just imagine how they would feel, and even if they go out in the first week, they will learn the importance of winning the close ones and playing consistently and finishing higher up the ladder.

And rooey deserves it for staying loyal

Playon
Club Player

saynta wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:

Didnt the pies trade that pick to Brisbane?
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-22/a ... eeway-deal
The pies will be laughing

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

If we keep winning, we'll probably win the flag

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm torn

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Play to win.... or stay at home!! GO SAINTS!!!!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
stkfc1
Club Player

One thing that stuck out from Saturdays game was that we are playing finals like football already. Our pressure and tackling are causing injuries. I think any team coming up against us would be worried. We may loose but we'll make them earn it and they may end up too banged up to go much further. We are playing to hurt the opposition. Me likey.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I'm torn
lol firey you have a great memory

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Who are these people that don't want to make finals?

felix
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:Who are these people that don't want to make finals?
The Bulldogs , Geelong, Hawks. Etc etc...

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i'll be happy enough if they dont make it.
... give their all to fall short , has character 'n desire build written all over it.
... plus an easier fixture to surge into the finals on next year
added with another pre season and 22 games of experience

good on em if they achieve it this year
... but not sure its what we (truly) need (bigger picture wise)

better to fall short ... imho

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.