Changes vs Geelong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes vs Geelong

Pierce needs to stay in the team. Playing Bruce in the ruck doesn't work.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cats are scary!

Midfield
Duncan, Danger, Blicvas, Selwood, Motlop, Caddy, Guthrie

Frightening

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Cats are scary!

Midfield

Frightening

Yep.

Just pulling out my collection of voodoo dolls and needles right now; we will need absolutely everything to go our way just to remain competitive next week.

Saint supporter since '62
stkfc1
Club Player

Caddy might be out next week and Menzel looking proppy. We must bring our pressure game. Dogs giving them way to much space. All there loses has been by sides giving them no room to move. We are one of the best pressure sides in the comp when we bring our A game. Hope we bring the rain.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Round 14

Playing the cats.

The memories....

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:Caddy might be out next week and Menzel looking proppy. We must bring our pressure game. Dogs giving them way to much space. All there loses has been by sides giving them no room to move. We are one of the best pressure sides in the comp when we bring our A game. Hope we bring the rain.
It's at Etihad stadium (the one with the roof).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
citywest

I'm prepared to stick my neck out and say we will beat Geelong next week....
1. We will be refreshed after our week off.
2. The game is at Etihad.
3. Caddy and Menzel are injured.

Saints to win by 22 points!

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Trev from the Bush wrote:

Midfield

Frightening

Yep.

Just pulling out my collection of voodoo dolls and needles right now; we will need absolutely everything to go our way just to remain competitive next week.
If anyone's getting the flu, head down to the Cats training session. Shake their hands, give them a hug, kiss them on the lips. It's germ warfare I tell ya!

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:

Midfield

Frightening

Yep.

If anyone's getting the flu, head down to the Cats training session. Shake their hands, give them a hug, kiss them on the lips. It's germ warfare I tell ya!
Most people with the flu can't get out of bed. I assume you mean the common cold?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:I'm prepared to stick my neck out and say we will beat Geelong next week....
1. We will be refreshed after our week off.
2. The game is at Etihad.
3. Caddy and Menzel are injured.

Saints to win by 22 points!
I hope you're right and respect your optimism, but Caddy and Menzel are the least of our worries. We couldn't even beat them last year when they were on the ropes and now they are strong again and have added A grade personnel to their playing stocks. Our biggest problem is not individual players ( the notable exceptions being opposition power full forwards) in strong/mid-tier teams, but our slow starts, our lack of composure when moving the ball forward which results in us rushing our kicks and spraying the ball, or picking out opponents, and the fact that we lack outside run (which we recruited Freeman for) and a defender who can stand big power forwards like Hawkins ( which we recruited Carlisle for). As we were never going to have these guys in the side this season, we were always going to struggle to take the next step.
Unfortunately for us, our one true ace, our home ground advantage is nullified because Geelong love playing at the Docklands, have an excellent record at Etihad and play it like it is their second home.

Since 2013 we have been absolutely killed by big forwards; take your pick, Riewoldt, Westhoff, Cloke, Franklin, Kennedy, Cameron, Hogan, Petrie etc, etc.

If we are competitive and can keep Hawkins to a respectable tally I will be satisfied.
After this game, our run home opens up and we play sides we are a realistic chance of knocking off, so I am barracking for no injuries. We are capable of winning the next three games after Geelong.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

just don't want to see another game where they jump us from the start and the lads drop their heads and let the game run away. i.e - the dogs, three weeks later the giants, three weeks later the eagles, three weeks later the crows, three weeks later...the cats?
manic pressure from the get go and no letting up - no excuses, should be fresher after the break.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
freely
SS Hall of Fame

our best hope is if they assume we'll be a walkover - so they've already mentally packed their bags and gone on their break. Especially if meanwhile we've set our sights on them as the scalp we're gonna take!

sasaint
Club Player

I know it is a long shot but the media run up to the game (just like v the Blues) will be pumping the Cats tyres to explosive pressures. Every media flog will be bagging the Saints players and coaches and game plan, Seaford and culture, as always. The Cats fans will be packing the rafters at Etihad. (Good for our coffers though). If only the we could pull of fa win. It would just be too delicious. :twisted: :D . Oh to dream....

Patience young grasshopper
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think this is a classic 'danger game' for the Cats. Sitting pretty on top and looking forward to sitting on top and having a bye and a rest.
They will be looking to snuff us out by quarter time. Maybe we can scrap at the start and then catch them snoozing in the third quarter.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Well, it's at home, ES, our home, also home of the $6.80 Pump water bottles.

Won't be pretty, I can see Cats doing a 45+ job on us.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think this is a classic 'danger game' for the Cats. Sitting pretty on top and looking forward to sitting on top and having a bye and a rest.
They will be looking to snuff us out by quarter time. Maybe we can scrap at the start and then catch them snoozing in the third quarter.
Danger game for the cats....

That's what I'm worried about :-)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Well, it's at home, ES, our home, also home of the $6.80 Pump water bottles.

Buy your drinks from subway outside they ground for $3 each !

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:I know it is a long shot but the media run up to the game (just like v the Blues) will be pumping the Cats tyres to explosive pressures. Every media flog will be bagging the Saints players and coaches and game plan, Seaford and culture, as always. The Cats fans will be packing the rafters at Etihad. (Good for our coffers though). If only the we could pull of fa win. It would just be too delicious. :twisted: :D . Oh to dream....
This

Go hard at the contest and the man but stay focused and we give ourselves a chance. I think one of the reasons North missed so many shots on goal was that they lost focus. We can't afford to waste energy on the push and shove and wrestling.

stkfc1
Club Player

We tag Danger with Mav or maybe even Wright who definitely has pace to go with him, (not sure about the gas tank though). Someone has to go to him. We go head to head with Selwood with Armo and Dunstan rotating the role. Geary on Motlop when he goes forward a no brainer. Stop 2 of thoses 3 and we are a massive chance. For me its the ruck that holds the key. Hickey is a far better ruckman than Zac or Rhys individually but as a combo it's pretty good one. Does Hickey need the chop out with Pierce? If Hickey can get it out on a platter for Steven and Ross like the Blues game we'll be in with a show. Bruce would be useless in the middle against either of those two IMO. Id be tempted to have Roo running around the back half, filling the holes, intercept marks etc. We cant afford to let Hawkins get a run at it although I think Delaney is an alright match up. I reckon we could be in for a cracking game. Just hope we have our kicking shoes on. Especially going into our F50. Go Saints!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:Well, it's at home, ES, our home, also home of the $6.80 Pump water bottles.

Buy them at Costco, 30 bottles for $6.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Buy them at Costco, 30 bottles for $6.
Anyone still using plastic water bottles cares little for the environment

Buy a container from a camping store and use tap water

Not difficult

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

If we can keep their tall forwards quiet, Menzel if he plays and Motlop, then we are a chance. Steven to Danger Armo to the Duck and Geary to Motlop.
We need to win or break even in the middle to give our backs a chance. If not then those three above will have a field day (Hawkins Menzel Motlop )

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So do we go head to head with Danger with Steven. Or go teh tag? Cats have been more vunerable when Danger is quiet. Weller? Though he concedes 7cm and 9kg, but does have the pace to keep up. Ross matches up better physically but lacks pace.
Delaney on Hawkins looks to be a good match up.
Webster on Menzel if he plays..

We need Hickey to at his best.
Quick ball movemnt can hurt the Cats, as does elite pressure. However Saints have been yo-yos in this all year and so it depends which St Kilda turns up.

If fit Roo and McCartin will both be back.

Pierce being retained will be an arm wrestle.

Lee may not make it due to his knee. Veryt still for him as this set of games may be his last just to show he can play at AFL level.

INS: Roo MCartin
OUT: Pierce Wright

If Lee is injured that may keep Pierce in.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah, would like to stay in the match for a while since I'm going with 2 Geelong supporters. Going to be tough though...

spert
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:

Yeah, would like to stay in the match for a while since I'm going with 2 Geelong supporters. Going to be tough though...
One of the more unpleasant experiences in life is to sit with a bunch of Geelong supporters at a game- at least toothless Collingwood supporters have some idea of the game in comparison.