Will Billings be our Judd

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Long Term Injury
Club Player

Will Billings be our Judd

I remember many a moon ago hearing Tom Harley talking about a heart to heart they had with Ablett after his first couple of years where the leadership group put it on Gaz to be Geelongs Judd. So, I'm wondering whether it is time to have a similar convo with Billings in relation to The Bont. Just a thought, but maybe Billings is a bit of a late bloomer and needs a push. Food for thought anyway.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will Billings be our Judd

Judd had his first at AA and Brownlow at 21.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Probably a bit unfair to compare him with two of the games best mids ever?

At present, and it is early days, Billings main elite talent seems to be his kicking (though not always perhaps due to injuries). I will not say disposal as I am not so sure about his hnball. In the weekend's Sandy game his kicking was excellent but his handball was often suicidal for his team mates.

The club has in the main played him in very outside roles where he is the receiver. As opposed to Judd and Ablett who were ball-winners. Such a role can of course be very damaging, and this year has seen him player further from goals and even in the back half as the club seeks to make the most of his kicking. In this role he seeks the open space to be fed by his team mates. But such a role will limit his capacity to be the main-man such as for example Steven exhibited this week.

Who knows what the future may hold. He may move into being a genuine mid. But at present it would be pretty pointless for anyone speaking to him about being the next Judd.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

From afar, Billings doesn't appear to me to have that ingrained, hard noses competitiveness that the Judd's, Selwood's, Reiwoldt's, Hodge's etc. have and always had.

It's the key ingredient that separates good players from great ones. I may be way off the mark here, but I don't see it in Billings.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

we could always ask him nicely to be.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Judd was actually only 20 in 2004. I am not sure we will see that anytime soon.
Given the increased professionalism I think it will become more like tennis and we wont see the teenaged prodigies again. It is now very difficult to be a dominant player until you are 23 24.

I think we just need to be patient with Billings.

Legendary
Club Player

Billings has had a better first 35 games than Nick Dal Santo.

Nick Dal Santo was heavily criticised for many of the same things that Jack Billings is criticised for.

It didn't stop him from finishing top 3 in the Brownlow and earning multiple All-Australian selections.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Billings has had a better first 35 games than Nick Dal Santo.

Nick Dal Santo was heavily criticised for many of the same things that Jack Billings is criticised for.

It didn't stop him from finishing top 3 in the Brownlow and earning multiple All-Australian selections.
I know this it not a popular opinion but I dont rate either of them. Both take short steps when it suits them, look and play frightened. Both are easily shut out of the game and have absolutely no mongrel what so ever. You wouldnt back either of them to stand by a team mate in a fair dinkum 'ding dong'. I have never been a fan of pretty boys and never will!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

NDS

All Aust and third in the Brownlow at 21

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:

I know this it not a popular opinion but I dont rate either of them. Both take short steps when it suits them, look and play frightened. Both are easily shut out of the game and have absolutely no mongrel what so ever. You wouldnt back either of them to stand by a team mate in a fair dinkum 'ding dong'. I have never been a fan of pretty boys and never will![/quote

Your opinion and selective analysis on NDS just means that I'll take your views on JB with a grain of salt.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Btw

How are we measuring the first 35 games

Club Player

Our Judd? sadly no and I hope not our Watts. His apparent attributes as a youngster are no longer amongst men - said to be a good mark for his size, but he is small, he is not quick, has yet to demonstrate the evasiveness slower players need and his kicking for goal unreliable. I am hopeful as we all should be that he will repay the faith!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

If he gets as good as dal i'll be happy. those that say he's missing the mongrel are dead right. it's why dunstan is and will remain, a better player. billings is closer to watts than judd. eventually watts came good.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Ned Stark
Club Player

Billings plays mainly half forward flank in a mediocre team. Still gets 20 touches a game even though he has never completed a pre-season. All you simpletons writing him off (already?!!) need to consider how good he will be when he actually completes a preseason and is playing in a winning side (like Bont). Questioning his hardness? I didn't see Andrew McLeod or Peter Matera win much contested ball. Didn't mean they weren't match winning guns. In any event, I've seen Billings get plenty of contested ball. He just doesn't get the same opportunities as Dunstan et al as he isn't playing in the square. This whole debate is stupid.

Ned Stark
Club Player

BTW, Dunstan better than Billings? Surely that is a joke? Like saying Priddis is better than Chad Wingard or some other elite match winner. Can't wait to read the back pedalling on here after JB gets fitter and we rise up the ladder.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Not quite Judd, but I'd be happy to let him move on after a Brownlow and a premiership!!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wtf

He is in the twos ffs

Now he's Judd or Ablett?

If he turns out the equal of Dal... I'll take it

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:

I know this it not a popular opinion but I dont rate either of them. Both take short steps when it suits them, look and play frightened. Both are easily shut out of the game and have absolutely no mongrel what so ever. You wouldnt back either of them to stand by a team mate in a fair dinkum 'ding dong'. I have never been a fan of pretty boys and never will!
Harsh. Dal Santo is a chamion.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Ned Stark wrote:BTW, Dunstan better than Billings? Surely that is a joke? Like saying Priddis is better than Chad Wingard or some other elite match winner. Can't wait to read the back pedalling on here after JB gets fitter and we rise up the ladder.
Not sure what you don't see in dunstan or why you think billings is better than him. potential? for what it's worth he's closer to priddis than billings is to wingard. and priddis has a brownlow.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Priddis

Not a match winner?

youre confusion highlights... with someone who get the job done every week... and controls games with sheer numbers ... not getting on the end it and finishing.

Priddis is a triple B&F and Brownlow medallist and an elite mid of the comp. He's a champion... Winguard is a star, no doubt. But yet to achieve the consistent elite output of Priddis.

Thats like saying who's the better Hawthorn player
Mitchell or Cyrill
That's a NO contest
Mitch has won 4 b&fs and is a champion mid
Cyril is a fwd pocket

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Chris Judd had the extra bit of height to go with his explosive pace and raw strength. It meant he could mark in packs, run away from opponents and break tackles. His skills were pretty good especially by hand.

Jack Billings is still in development, but has the skills. He is a long way from the fitness level that he needs to be at. But it is something that is possible, just look at Seb Ross.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Do people see Billings as a midfielder? I guess he could be that Dal Santo type. I could be wrong but my gut says he won't have the tank to run all day. He seems more an explosive player. For me his goal scoring and creativity is so valuable in that half-forward role where he can also swing through the midfield. My hope is that in a couple of years of learning the ropes, they will give him the freedom to play the role he wants to on the forward line and popping in and out of the midfield or even give some drive from the back. He seems the sort to me to thrive if he has variety and autonomy. He just looks to have a footy intelligence and innovation that you don't want to stifle.

Sometimes I think those 2nd year blues occur because the first year they are allowed to play their natural game and use their strengths. In the second year though suddenly its "YOu have to be a responsible AFL citizen. No running around playing with flair and excitement and doing what you do best. Fit into the system and do what we tell you to do. 18 bland little soldiers playing THE SYSTEM". Only the system matters!" I heard Wayne Brittan say he thought GC players have been over coached. They pick these high draft picks because they can do different, unique things and then they force them to play like everyone else.

I hope Richo doesn't crush some of these guys with special talents like Lonie, Sinclair and Acres as he forces them into his high pressure/high running/high tackling system. Not all of them have to be grunts. Clarko seems to let guys with high footy intelligence like Hodge, Mitchell and Rioli have a degree of automony on the field based on how they feel the game is going and how they are going. I hope Billings footy creativity is respected, not crushed, as I think he is a special talent.

Ned Stark
Club Player

[quote="BigMart"]Priddis

Not a match winner?

youre confusion highlights... with someone who get the job done every week... and controls games with sheer numbers ... not getting on the end it and finishing.

Priddis is a triple B&F and Brownlow medallist and an elite mid of the comp. He's a champion... Winguard is a star, no doubt. But yet to achieve the consistent elite output of Priddis.

Thats like saying who's the better Hawthorn player
Mitchell or Cyrill
That's a NO contest
Mitch has won 4 b&fs and is a champion mid
Cyril is a fwd pocket[/quote]

Wingard was probably a bad comparison because I ultimately see JB playing more like Robbie Gray when he is fit enough. A gun midfielder who can can go forward and win games from a forward flank.

Priddis shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Mitchell. Priddis just dives on the ball and shovels it out to more skilled players 30 times a game. A very good soldier, but accumulators like him are a dime a dozen. Mitchell is the modern day Diesel Williams. 360 vision and skills.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Mate, Priddis is an absolute GUN!!!

He just dominates clearance/stoppage
The most important aspect of the modern game

He has the best hands in close of any mid in the comp
Is far more contested than Mitch... Tackles more
Is not as good outside or by foot
But to down play Priddis is silly ... He's a pure gun
If he was at stk you'd love him

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ned Stark wrote: All you simpletons writing him off (already?!!) need to consider how good he will be when he actually completes a preseason and is playing in a winning side (like Bont). .
Stating that he is not as good as Judd or Ablett is hardly writing a player off.

I do disagree with the "scared/soft " comments of some though.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....