Membrey... The new Jake Stringer?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperDuper
Club Player

Re: Membrey... The new Jake Stringer?

Membry has had a better month or so than Stringer.
Was even good against Adelaide, we just did not get it down there..

Really looks good... our most improved for the season

Amazing to unearth two hard working, marking, goalkicking forwards in 2 seasons, paying a total of pick 48

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

He's slowly starting to convince me he genuinely has the goods to make it as a fwd despite being slightly undersize. He does seem to have some real ball reading smarts and good hands. His efforts today were huge. Can't remember if it was 3rd or last qtr where he had two blues defenders in prime position and he read the bouncing ball better and snuck in between them and fought it to a ball up. Needs to impact a game though even in games where we are not dominating. Oppo will start to put some serious work into him now after another big haul so needs to be able to deal with that and keep improving.

stkfc1
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:He's slowly starting to convince me he genuinely has the goods to make it as a fwd despite being slightly undersize. He does seem to have some real ball reading smarts and good hands. His efforts today were huge. Can't remember if it was 3rd or last qtr where he had two blues defenders in prime position and he read the bouncing ball better and snuck in between them and fought it to a ball up. Needs to impact a game though even in games where we are not dominating. Oppo will start to put some serious work into him now after another big haul so needs to be able to deal with that and keep improving.
And thats exactly what we want. Now Membrey has shown he's a real threat up forward it may mean next game Bruce or Paddy gets off the leash. This is the beauty of our new attack. You can't cover all of them. Bruce and Membrey have already shown they can kick bags. Paddy is more than capable. Then you'll have Lonie , Sinclair, Mav , Billings and Gresh all going through there. Lot to be excited about. Oh and that big blonde guy wearing number 12 might chip in occasionally. He goes ok.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wish he'd got more games earlier, genuine footballer...believes he can impact a game but without any cockiness.

Measured is the word I think

longtimesaint
Club Player

He is out of contract this year -need to sign him for 3 years as a priority.

One year will be our year
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:
Griggsy wrote:Another lazy 5, contributed in transition, gut running back into the open space. So underrated in this league, imagine the hype if he played for other clubs, the media would be calling him a prodigy if he was at the demons performing like this.

Though I do like the little coverage, lets him learn without external pressures.
20 goals in just 7 games this year
Stringer 15 in the same period. And he didn't have to play in 80+ point smashings.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He's a dead eye dick and love how he can kick them from any angle.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Love how hard he works and how serious he takes it. A real team-first player.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Wish he'd got more games earlier, genuine footballer...believes he can impact a game but without any cockiness.

Measured is the word I think
Having less afl and more lower comp development at both Sydney and us has allowed him to mature a bit.......especially sydney (was a bit of I am before) being picked by sydney.)

saint4life
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I'm loving that Timbo towelled up their gun No. 1 draft pick. Our boy's taken quite a different route to the top, being a Swans reject etc. We got him for a song, I'll be telling my Carlton acquaintances

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:I'm loving that Timbo towelled up their gun No. 1 draft pick. Our boy's taken quite a different route to the top, being a Swans reject etc. We got him for a song, I'll be telling my Carlton acquaintances
WTF is all the hype about Weitering - he was pantsed by Membrey and then Bruce, and then moved to the forward line cause he could not cut it. From all the hype that I had heard, we were going to struggle to kick 10

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Legendary
Club Player

Check his muscle definition too (arms and legs). Supremely fit.

10 marks was a good sign - provided the link-up at times.

Having a great year, and makes us less predictable going forward.

Wombat15
Club Player

Been a big fan of the kid since he got drafted. Thought he was a steal for the swans and was hoping the saints would get him but i think we picked Webster instead. Absolute steal in the trade(?) we got for him. Perfect 3rd forward, beautiful kicking style and very glad the kids doing well. Plays like hes 10cm taller, love his emotion after kicking a goal (its always handy because he celebrates early so if youre on a tough angle you know its a goal). Obviously im a big big fan of the kid and its great to see him finally get a proper chance to prove himself.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:Absolute steal in the trade(?) we got for him..
Steal indeed as we got him for free as a Delisted Free Agent.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:Been a big fan of the kid since he got drafted. Thought he was a steal for the swans and was hoping the saints would get him but i think we picked Webster instead. Absolute steal in the trade(?) we got for him. Perfect 3rd forward, beautiful kicking style and very glad the kids doing well. Plays like hes 10cm taller, love his emotion after kicking a goal (its always handy because he celebrates early so if youre on a tough angle you know its a goal). Obviously im a big big fan of the kid and its great to see him finally get a proper chance to prove himself.
He's really coming on isn't he. Just turned 22. Swans got him at #46 in the 2012 draft. We got him for nothing from the Swans at the end of 2014 as a delisted free agent. Only played one game for the Swans and has played 20 overall. 188cms. 88 kgs. Solid unit. Plays tall. Excellent follow up and contest. Elite kick.
Who was the genius that plucked him for us? Was it Pelchen? Looking like one of our better trades in recent times.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Confident but not cocky. Great combination.
IMHO, he seems to know what to do and is fully switched on.
Had one shoulder reco before the end of last season, so would have worked harder in the gym than most others, possibly, playing catch-up.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ARen't those official heights from their draft camps? I wonder how accurate they are with some players surely growing after that. Also arm length adds so much to your marking height. Roo is listed as 193 but those long arms of his and a great leap make him one of the highest marks in the comp (still). Same as Buddy. Plus timing at the footy so you take it at the highest peak. Plus positioning and play reading smarts to even get to leap at the footy continually to give yourself plenty of opportunities. So there is a lot more to being a key forward and marking than just your starting listed height.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:ARen't those official heights from their draft camps? I wonder how accurate they are with some players surely growing after that. Also arm length adds so much to your marking height. Roo is listed as 193 but those long arms of his and a great leap make him one of the highest marks in the comp (still). Same as Buddy. Plus timing at the footy so you take it at the highest peak. Plus positioning and play reading smarts to even get to leap at the footy continually to give yourself plenty of opportunities. So there is a lot more to being a key forward and marking than just your starting listed height.
Players are often measured several times throughout the season (more so young players) so if he has grown that would show up, Rooey and Buddy both have a long reach, but unlike Rooey, Bud is not a great overhead mark!!!!!

Nice to see you finally given Skunky a bit of credit though, who says you carnt teach an old dog new tricks!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Bluthy wrote:ARen't those official heights from their draft camps? I wonder how accurate they are with some players surely growing after that. Also arm length adds so much to your marking height. Roo is listed as 193 but those long arms of his and a great leap make him one of the highest marks in the comp (still). Same as Buddy. Plus timing at the footy so you take it at the highest peak. Plus positioning and play reading smarts to even get to leap at the footy continually to give yourself plenty of opportunities. So there is a lot more to being a key forward and marking than just your starting listed height.
Players are often measured several times throughout the season (more so young players) so if he has grown that would show up, Rooey and Buddy both have a long reach, but unlike Rooey, Bud is not a great overhead mark!!!!!

Nice to see you finally given Skunky a bit of credit though, who says you carnt teach an old dog new tricks!!!!!
Like how I was with Bruce, I need to see Membrey performing at a high level for more than half a season or just kicking a few bags before I become a true believer and slot him in my premiership 22. Like Bruce, the oppo will start to put some serious work into him now that he put his head above the trenches so he will have a new challenge to battle. Again like Bruce, I've loved his workrate and that needs to be a key weapon. When players are playing for their careers and trying to bag a regular top 22 place, they will often work their backsides off. But you've got to keep it going and not get too comfortable when it seems you've made it.

Brucey seems to have dropped his work rate a tad and not playing with quite so much desperation but also he gets quite a bit of work put into curtailing him If Paddy and Membrey can become true dangerous AFL forwards then it makes it really hard for the oppo to shut them all down. And if they do that should open up space for the mids and wingers to goal. Like Hawks you want as many goal scoring avenues as possible.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote: Roo is listed as 193 but those long arms of his and a great leap make him one of the highest marks in the comp (still). Same as Buddy. .
I am not sure I follow you there as marking is probably the worst part of Buddy's game. He seems to have improved his marking since going to Sydney, but he would still not be regarded as a great mark.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stonecold
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
Bluthy wrote: Roo is listed as 193 but those long arms of his and a great leap make him one of the highest marks in the comp (still). Same as Buddy. .
I am not sure I follow you there as marking is probably the worst part of Buddy's game. He seems to have improved his marking since going to Sydney, but he would still not be regarded as a great mark.
Yeah agree, as stated in early post, Bud does struggle in that area!!!!!

stonecold
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
Like how I was with Bruce, I need to see Membrey performing at a high level for more than half a season or just kicking a few bags before I become a true believer and slot him in my premiership 22. Like Bruce, the oppo will start to put some serious work into him now that he put his head above the trenches so he will have a new challenge to battle. Again like Bruce, I've loved his workrate and that needs to be a key weapon. When players are playing for their careers and trying to bag a regular top 22 place, they will often work their backsides off. But you've got to keep it going and not get too comfortable when it seems you've made it.

Brucey seems to have dropped his work rate a tad and not playing with quite so much desperation but also he gets quite a bit of work put into curtailing him If Paddy and Membrey can become true dangerous AFL forwards then it makes it really hard for the oppo to shut them all down. And if they do that should open up space for the mids and wingers to goal. Like Hawks you want as many goal scoring avenues as possible.
Fair enough, I don't think Josh has dropped his work rate though, he is just playing a slightly different role to last year. Your a hard judge :wink:

Wombat15
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Fair enough, I don't think Josh has dropped his work rate though, he is just playing a slightly different role to last year. Your a hard judge :wink:
Yeah his new role seems to have hurt him a bit. He wasn't expecting to play second fiddle in the ruck, copping the best defender every week and now plays with paddy and members up front changes things a bit. I think for a bloke that's really only had 1 good season in his career it will take a bit of adjusting but at the end of the day all he has to do is convert his chances, crash packs (clunk a few) and bring the ball effectively to ground for the smalls to have a half chance. Id like to see how he goes next season as that will be year 3 in the forward line and he wont be required to pinch hit as apparently Carlisle will be doing that along with Hickey and/or Longer.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How do you measure Bruce's output?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

One of the great things about Memrey is his goal kicking conversion.

20 10 this year

How many times have Hawthorn won games just because of their conversion?
Last night it was 29 to 23 scoring shots but Hawthorn still won comfortably.