Richo's private word to the Geary baggers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Richo's private word to the Geary baggers

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-05-3 ... rformances

Give it a break, you are backing the wrong horse

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Richo's private word to the Geary baggers

Geary is elite at every aspect of his game bar disposal which is shall we say a bit problematic at times.

Article is also most interesting on the discussion re Fisher.

“He’s positive ‘Fish’. We all know that Pavlich is a good player; I think he probably had the better of that match-up for the night. He’s also pretty composed with the ball. He’s been going well. He’s pretty quick to bring in his speed on his GPS just to remind me that he’s going okay and he’s got a bit of footy left,” Richardson quipped with a grin.

After the Dons game Fisher spoke in the Social Club and he made it very, very, clear that he wants to play on next year, but that it was the club that needed to decide if they wanted him too and that the decision by the the club would be based on what was best for the Saints.

The vibe I got was very much that Fish is desperate to play on. With Carlisle to instead take on the oppositions main big forward, one would suspect Fisher would bloom.

How quickly or not Goddard comes on for the remainder of the year may well bea big determinant on Fisher being offered another year. Demspter is also good form, and who too would no doubt benefit from Carlisle being in the backline.

The other factor too is the Saints hunt for gun FA's. Unfortuantely midfield wise the options look thin. If they were to secure a gun mid that too may have the club thinking finals next year. but as mented the aavailable FA's do not really excite.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 30 May 2016 5:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
#gosaintas
Club Player

It's obvious Richo rates him. Who cares? I reckon he's crap.

And Fisher is keeping Lee / Goddard out of the team is he? So when Fish was injured we still played neither of them. Richo is speaking gibberish.

Drop Geary and bring in Webster.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

#gosaintas wrote:It's obvious Richo rates him. Who cares? I reckon he's crap.

And Fisher is keeping Lee / Goddard out of the team is he? So when Fish was injured we still played neither of them. Richo is speaking gibberish.

Drop Geary and bring in Webster.
as Jack N so eloquently put it "you want the truth.... you can't handle the truth"

I know where the gibberish is..

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Some people are just ignorant brain dead fools.

Rioli
Garlett
Ballantyne

and all the other small forwards he shuts down.

Hardest job next week is to shut down Betts. Who else but him can do it?

Richo know more than halfwits on the internet who would crap themselves if faced with Geary in person.

We all know who I'm referring to on here.

You are garbage - Enough said
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

If Carlisle lives up to expectation and plays from day one next year in decent form I think Fish will find renewed life in those old legs of his. Get back to some of his brilliant best in cutting off forward thrusts and setting us up for the rebound. At the moment he and Dempster are doing a great job over and above what they'd be asked of in stronger defences. I'd be happy to keep him on, whllst developing Roberton/Goddard for that half back role.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

to all the geary knockers....lol :oops:

#gosaintas
Club Player

Ballantyne and Garlett have been killing it this year too. A great effort to keep them quiet while gifting goals to other forwrds with poor disposal.

Better to bring in Webster and drop Geary.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ner Ner

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Geary turned it over once for a goal on Saturday.

Geary had two inside 50 goal assists in qtr one.

But you cant argue with obsession and stupidity.

Garlett 27 matches in a row where he scored a goal until Geary.

But you cant argue with stupid.

Rioli four touches until Geary injured

But you cant argue with stupid

Ballantyne no goals.

Guess what I am saying is that putting facts to counter stupidity just doesnt work.

Stupid is as stupid posts.

You are garbage - Enough said
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Just to add to the misery of the Geary-knockers, guess who would've been made captain if Roo had decided to step down from the role this year? Yep, you guessed right. J.Geary. Some on here would've done a Richmond and melted their membership tickets in the microwave. I'm not Geary's greatest fan, but I have to admit he's done a sterling job of shutting down the opposition's most dangerous small forwards, week in, week out this year. I can't think of anyone else we have who would've been as effective as that in that specific role.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Don't think anyone can argue that he doesn't do a great job, and would pretty much die for his club and team mates. Also don't think anyone can argue that he's not an ordinary kick.

Lets not pretend he doesn't have disposal issues. It's ok to admit it. Doesn't make you a bad supporter. Doesn't mean it out ways his great attributes or that he should be dropped. It's just the way it is.

Just imagine how good a player he would be if he didn't cough it up so often.

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Don't think anyone can argue that he doesn't do a great job, and would pretty much die for his club and team mates. Also don't think anyone can argue that he's not an ordinary kick.

Lets not pretend he doesn't have disposal issues. It's ok to admit it. Doesn't make you a bad supporter. Doesn't mean it out ways his great attributes or that he should be dropped. It's just the way it is.

Just imagine how good a player he would be if he didn't cough it up so often.
Nailed it.

If he could just reduce the short passes back into the corridor that miss our blokes by 5m, then he'd be a sensation.

Credit where credit is due but also criticism where it's due...
He is a wonderful defender, no doubt, but he has serious disposal/decision making issues.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Card carrying Geary knocker here.

Will be the first to admit he has been excellent this year in his defensive roles. Has shut out key opposition players several times and played terrific footy, well and truly earning his spot.

This does not take away from the fact his has terrible disposal and decision making. In a perfect world he'd do his job on a Rioli, Garlett or Bellendtine, and not have to worry about getting the ball. In today's footy this is not possible, and he has, and will continue to undo a lot of his good work with skill errors.

My main concern with Geary is that when (if) we are challenging again, he will need to be replaced by someone with his defensive ability, coupled with at least average - good ball use, which Geary clearly hasn't. Not asking for the perfect footballer, just don't think someone with his skill deficiencies would've cut the mustard at Hawthorn for the past 3 seasons, which is what we must aim for.

In all of that, good on him for his efforts so far this year, he is clearly far from our biggest concern and has earned his spot, and in the process certainly shut me up.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think it's his decision-making at times that lets him down more than his actual kicking. You can practise and improve your kicking until the cows come home, but the true test is the heat of the moment. I've watched his technique closely and it doesn't look too bad, certainly not Jayson Daniels-like. The shockers first goal, I think it was, is an example. His kick was ok, but it was short, to a contest and back into Freo's attacking corridor. That decision would've broken a couple of basic defensive team rules. First, never kick it short to a contest and second, don't do that when putting the ball into a dangerous position for the opposition. It looks terrible and is terrible and undoes a lot of good things he does. I've seen this with young players too. The mechanics of their kicking style is sound, but their decision making and attentional awareness are lacking. Those last two things are very hard to teach. Some get better with experience and match simulation, while others fall by the wayside.

Think of Stewart Loewe. Now he had a poor kicking technique when he arrived at the club, and Peter Hudson managed to turn him into a reliable set shot for goal. One thing they couldn't have taught Loewey, however, was how to judge, run to, and catch the bloody thing so successfully. That was just talent and gigantic hands. Nature's gifts. My frustration with Gears is that he seems to make poor decisions at times, which magnify the extent of any deficiencies in his kicking style. There's no simple answer at this stage of his career.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
ctqs
Club Player

Geary easily stops more goals than he coughs up with poor disposal.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
#gosaintas
Club Player

He and Gilbert just create panic in the backline. Neither would make another AFL side.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-05-3 ... rformances

"all goes well" for the team

Augers well, you mean. :oops:

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote:

Um what????

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

saynta wrote:

Simple Definition of auger

: a sharp tool that is used chiefly for making holes

Sort of describes the Geary-haters on here too.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
saynta wrote:

augur well for

Also, augur ill for ; bode well or ill for. Have good (or bad) expectations for someone or something. For example, John's recovery from surgery augurs well for the team and The Republican victory in the Congressional elections bodes ill for affirmative action. The verb augur is derived from the Latin word for “soothsayer” (predictor of the future), a meaning perpetuated in this phrase and so used since the late 1700s. The verb bode comes from the Old English bodian, meaning “to announce or foretell,” and is rarely heard today except in this idiom, which dates from about 1700.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
saynta wrote:

augur well for

Also, augur ill for ; bode well or ill for. Have good (or bad) expectations for someone or something. For example, John's recovery from surgery augurs well for the team and The Republican victory in the Congressional elections bodes ill for affirmative action. The verb augur is derived from the Latin word for “soothsayer” (predictor of the future), a meaning perpetuated in this phrase and so used since the late 1700s. The verb bode comes from the Old English bodian, meaning “to announce or foretell,” and is rarely heard today except in this idiom, which dates from about 1700.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Thank christ some of our supporters on here have nothing to do with team selection..you people know more than our coaching staff ? I doubt that very much...I hope Richo plays both Geary and Gilbo for the rest of the season and the knockers can keep on whingeing..

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Geary is elite at every aspect of his game bar disposal which is shall we say a bit problematic at times.
Not true. His 20m sprint would be below average. He is bog slow in a sprint.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Thank christ some of our supporters on here have nothing to do with team selection..you people know more than our coaching staff ? I doubt that very much...I hope Richo plays both Geary and Gilbo for the rest of the season and the knockers can keep on whingeing..
Noone is claiming they know more than the coaching staff. But that doesnt mean the coaching staff get it 100% right all the time either. If our coaching staff were omniscient we would have more than 1 flag in 120 years. Coaches can also 'fall in love' with players and make emotional decisions. They get a hell of a lot more right than a layman but that still doesnt equal 100%. Even if a fan gets 30% right and the professionals get 80% right there are still going to be the odd things where the fan gets one right and the pros get one wrong. It happens from time to time. 30% x 20% of the time = 6%.