Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan

Better game.

He's fortunate to get so many opportunities, but he has had a good one today. Still dont think he kicked it 10 times (has not had 10 kicks this year, but found it a fair bit. Hands were better.

He needs to to really get 20-25 as a support mid.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunstan

Doesn't seem confident...

Actually the whole side was jittery early, especially the young ones.

Only momentum got the belief creeping upwards, but they don't look like they believe much in a general sense. Which is a worry, it doesn't appear to be instilled already.

I admire other young teams like the Dogs that go out there believing, we don't....and it happens a lot.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Billings is not believing atm.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Yes, Billings is down.

Sloppy, slow and intensity is not great. He can lift, which is upside.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yes, Billings is down.

Sloppy, slow and intensity is not great. He can lift, which is upside.
Too me, he looks too intense all the time. Time to enjoy footy again Jack.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

JB copped a corky early in the first half so he was restricted today. My concern is more that perhaps he hasn't settled into a position. Is he a mid or is he forward? Have they asked him to play higher up the ground and he's more comfortable as a small forward?

Jeez...who is the thread about? Well if it's about Dunstan, he had a serviceable game

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Thought Dunstan was good, a few times was the 1st player in the chain getting around his defender with a side step and consequently opening up the play.

Billings was definitely hurting, was the lowest DE% in the team today when he is usually pinpoint.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Whwn Billings develops a tank, he'll be racking them up like Ross is at the moment. Dunstan's disposal is sloppy, and I'm not sure how much development is left in him

longtimesaint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Doesn't seem confident...

Actually the whole side was jittery early, especially the young ones.

Only momentum got the belief creeping upwards, but they don't look like they believe much in a general sense. Which is a worry, it doesn't appear to be instilled already.

I admire other young teams like the Dogs that go out there believing, we don't....and it happens a lot.
100 point losses takes away the belief and daring.
The only way to get it back is to have a good patch of wins and with Freo and Carlton coming up we should.

One year will be our year
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Very good second half by Luke. Third qtr he got us going with sheer grunt work. Has quick hands and kept going in the last . Thought he ws clearly one of our best.

Saint supporter since '62
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Great come back game, lucky not to be dropped after WCE debacle...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Though Dunstan was good. He isnt a star but he is good enough to get games. Does enough in traffic and around stoppages to keep his spot. In our best 22 but not a top tenner.

saintkev
Club Player

If you're going to question anyone, question Bruce. Am I the only one who thinks he's lazy. With his ability he hould be acing it. In the first half he was ordinary. His last week's performance was embarrassing typified by his laconic fumbling of the ball which resulted in an Eagle's free for deliberate out of bounds. At times he attacks the ball indolently. Yet he fingerpoints at others.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Better game.

He's fortunate to get so many opportunities, but he has had a good one today. Still dont think he kicked it 10 times (has not had 10 kicks this year, but found it a fair bit. Hands were better.

Sometimes it's not all about getting the ball. Does an enormous amount of blocking and negation to let Jack get the ball. Doing his job.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

26 today.

21 year old right in the thick of contested ball. Blocking, working hard inside as a 21 year old up against hardened mature mids in the system more than Luke's 3 years. You're selling him well short Mart.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:

Sometimes it's not all about getting the ball. Does an enormous amount of blocking and negation to let Jack get the ball. Doing his job.
EXACTLY!

Team player.

Players have roles and KPIs that make the whole team better.

It is not always about how many kicks, handballs and goals a player gets.

I value genuine assists more than the goal kicker.

I value McCartin's clever tap more than either of his goals despite his 60 metre bomb being a team lifter.

I value sacrificial acts like coming off your man to impact a contest further a field knowing you have left your opponent free and trusting that a team mate will bust a gut to try to cover you.

I value the space makers who either block in tight or lead away from the space in order to create space.

I value the pressure acts that lock in a ball when needed or gets into an opponents face or space to limit their disposal options.

I value players that make third, fourth and yes even fifth efforts like Sam Gilbert did at one stage in yesterday's game.

How many SuperCoach or other fantasy points do these things get - next to nothing but they are what winning sides require and all Premiership teams have.

Luke Dunstan is playing his role and building nicely.

For a recent comparison - where was Seb Ross after 2.4 years on our list? Or Armo? Or for that matter Jack Steven?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote:
tony74 wrote:

EXACTLY!

Team player.

Players have roles and KPIs that make the whole team better.

It is not always about how many kicks, handballs and goals a player gets.

I value genuine assists more than the goal kicker.

I value McCartin's clever tap more than either of his goals despite his 60 metre bomb being a team lifter.

I value sacrificial acts like coming off your man to impact a contest further a field knowing you have left your opponent free and trusting that a team mate will bust a gut to try to cover you.

I value the space makers who either block in tight or lead away from the space in order to create space.

I value the pressure acts that lock in a ball when needed or gets into an opponents face or space to limit their disposal options.

I value players that make third, fourth and yes even fifth efforts like Sam Gilbert did at one stage in yesterday's game.

How many SuperCoach or other fantasy points do these things get - next to nothing but they are what winning sides require and all Premiership teams have.

Luke Dunstan is playing his role and building nicely.

For a recent comparison - where was Seb Ross after 2.4 years on our list? Or Armo? Or for that matter Jack Steven?
Its the reason Dunstan is in the team and Acres isn't

You are garbage - Enough said
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

He's obviously player of the week for the presser. 26 disposals was his highest for the year.

Commentary on the embarrassment of the Weagles debacle and the efforts being made by everyone (including him) to improve consistency

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... p1k4l.html

Always loyal