Small forwards and trade potential

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Small forwards and trade potential

Lot talked about and rightly so our selections for last week.

I want to talk about our too many small forwards

Having 4 of the list of smalls we have it just too many in the team. They don't give us enough options as they are pretty much typecast

They are not all going to make it into the one team unless they can convert to a mid (so maybe Billings and Gresham)

So I would be shopping Sinclair or Lonie around, teams like Essendon will be crying out for a small forward

To trade up we need to be giving up some value and we have smalls (lots of them)

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Small forwards and trade potential

I would definitely keep Sinclair.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

No way you would shop Sinclair around. He will be a beauty.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:No way you would shop Sinclair around. He will be a beauty.

I am not necessarily disagreeing. My point is can we keep them all and if no then trade while they have value.

Can we realistically in the same squad keep Billings, Lonie, Sinclair, Gresham, Minchington, Templeton (playing mid in the VFL but does that translate to AFL) and Weller (defensive forward). Right now that is a huge chunk of the squad

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:No way you would shop Sinclair around. He will be a beauty.

I am not necessarily disagreeing. My point is can we keep them all and if no then trade while they have value.

Can we realistically in the same squad keep Billings, Lonie, Sinclair, Gresham, Minchington, Templeton (playing mid in the VFL but does that translate to AFL) and Weller (defensive forward). Right now that is a huge chunk of the squad
Billings yes. Has already shown can play wing etc.

Sinclair has a huge upside and is not tiny. In time should be able to rotate through the midfield.

Minch. Doubt he will make it or anyone would trade.

Gresham. Looks like a future mid to me ....and not a small forward.

Templeton. Looks to be over his broken arm now. At 183 is certainly worth perservering with for the moment. Can play wing or midfield as well. Let's see how the rest of the season goes.

Lonie. Showed plenty last season, but is off the boil at present. Would certainly keep.

But yes we should not recruit any more potential small forwards.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 16 May 2016 3:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Sinclair is the better one and was friends with billings growing up so doubt he is goin anywhere any time soon

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

just for referance
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-16/w ... ade-period
THIS year's exchange period will again run for nearly two weeks after the AFL confirmed its dates for the trade, free agency and NAB AFL Draft windows.

Clubs will be able to make official offers to free agents on Friday, October 7 and have until Wednesday, October 19 to match offers.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Darth Vader
Club Player

Sinclair played in the middle a bit against Melbourne. Definitely a keeper.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I would keep Sinclair, Weller, Templeton, Billings and Gresham.

Lonie & Minch trade bait imo. Minch probably wouldnt get much in a trade but Id like to think another club might Rookie him next year. Maybe Tiges or Blues might give him an opportunity. I think our best trade bait is Longer. We should play in in the last 5 games of the season.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 16 May 2016 8:03pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I think Minchington will get cut at years end. If they all develop and become good players we can easily play all of Billings, Sinclair, Lonie, Weller and Gresham. Templeton as back up. But no more required.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Lonie! No way, he will be a good smart & dangerous small forward and they don't grow on trees.

He has the potential to be anything and be comparable to Stephen Milne. We drafted him ahead of Caleb Daniel (who was on our radar) because good small forwards don't grow on trees. I think Daniel will be a great midfielder, doesn't change the fact that smart list management means taking what's hard to get, meaning key forwards/defenders (particularly key forwards) and good small forwards. Midfielders are always there, there are a lot more of them.

We did the right thing, as we did with McCartin & Carlisle, so trading him would be ridiculous.

By the way trading Sinclair would be an act of insanity as well.

Let's have a look at the 2004 draft. Particularly, (regardless of their stirring win on the weekend) that bone head club, Richmond. My haven't they enjoyed an abundance of success in the last 35 years. There they were armed with two early picks and looking to restore their dynasty of the late 60s & 70s. The 5 year plan that that turned into a 12 year plan going on to a 20 year plan.

They could have drafted Buddy Franklin and Jarryd Roughead, two highly rated key forwards and easily the best available in a draft since Nick Riewoldt. In their wisdom & seduced by silky midfielders, Richmond passed on Franklin and Roughead. Instead the opted for Brett Deledio and the 'soft' Richard Tambling. Deledio has turned out to be a jet, Tambling didn't amount to much. Even if Tambling had turned out as good as Deledio, their decision was at best idiotic and a grave mistake.

This is why the McCartin - Petracca debate is nonsensical, Paddy (for our needs & future) was a no brainer.

older saint
SS Life Member

Many young kids start either as small forwards as they don't have the tank to play mid. It can take some 2-3 seasons to get the tank. Dusnstan played senior footy in SA so he was an exception. Billings will be an on baller who rests forward. I can see Sinclair similar. Lonnie has a goal sense and skills to match. Templeton and Minchington i am not yet convinced they will make it but Minch has played on ball in VFL a lot.

I think we need to keep getting games,, miles and pre seasons in to them and let them develop the tanks required.

To me the excess seems to be in half back flankers ( no rhyming slang either ) . Roberton, Webster, Geary, Wright, Savage, and a couple others in the 2's still developing.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Any chance of chucking billings into the midfield for a decent period!?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lonie's career total score is 18 goals 24 behinds from 24 games. A scoring shot ratio of 3.4 and well below a goal a game.

So I think he has more of a 'point sense' than a 'goal sense'.

By comparison Walters and Betts have always had a goal:behind ratio of 8:4.

In his first two seasons Walters managed 10.2 from 8 games and Betts managed 39.22 from 40 games in his first two seasons.

Put simply - While we all wax on about his skill level - Lonie kicks far too many points. From his 42+ shots he should have 28-32 goals by now.

18 goals just isnt good enough from >42 shots on goal ( I remember a few on the full as well) - especially when there is so much hype about his kicking skills.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 17 May 2016 8:26pm, edited 9 times in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lonie needs to compose himself more... Always rushed and making panicked decisions

For us to be a good side it lies with the transition of Sinclair. If he can improve his engine, he is the good decision making mid we need.

Hawthorn are so good because their prime mover makes good decisions and executed. StKs prime mover (Jack) lacks composure and makes poor decisions and struggles with execution

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:Lot talked about and rightly so our selections for last week.

Having 4 of the list of smalls we have it just too many in the team. They don't give us enough options as they are pretty much typecast

They are not all going to make it into the one team unless they can convert to a mid (so maybe Billings and Gresham)

So I would be shopping Sinclair or Lonie around, teams like Essendon will be crying out for a small forward

To trade up we need to be giving up some value and we have smalls (lots of them)
We already did that - we gave the Eagles Cripps. We got a packet of twisties and a can of Fanta for him.
We get salary cap space from not paying Carlisle this year - let's use that on a Giant midfielder and keep out first draft pick - bound to be top 5 - and wait for Carlisle and Freeman to suit up in 2017.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:Lot talked about and rightly so our selections for last week.

We already did that - we gave the Eagles Cripps. We got a packet of twisties and a can of Fanta for him.
We get salary cap space from not paying Carlisle this year - let's use that on a Giant midfielder and keep out first draft pick - bound to be top 5 - and wait for Carlisle and Freeman to suit up in 2017.
We got Brodie Murdoch for Cripps and in hindsight we should have got Lachie Hunter who was still available and is now playing like a super-star.

So it is a bit of a myth that we got "a packet of twisties and a can of Fanta' for Cripps. We got Murdoch and could well have got Hunter who is much better than fanta and twisties.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We did the right thing at the time and let Cripps go on compassionate grounds!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Doctor Two
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:We got Brodie Murdoch for Cripps and in hindsight we should have got Lachie Hunter who was still available and is now playing like a super-star.

So it is a bit of a myth that we got "a packet of twisties and a can of Fanta' for Cripps. We got Murdoch and could well have got Hunter who is much better than fanta and twisties.
Could never have got Lachie Hunter as he was a father son for the Bulldogs. Still feel we got screwed over the Cripps trade as he walked out of the club and nominated W Coast as his prefered destination

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Doctor Two wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:We got Brodie Murdoch for Cripps and in hindsight we should have got Lachie Hunter who was still available and is now playing like a super-star.

Could never have got Lachie Hunter as he was a father son for the Bulldogs. Still feel we got screwed over the Cripps trade as he walked out of the club and nominated W Coast as his prefered destination
Cripps was also out of contract and badly wanted to go to the Eagles, perhaps even more than they wanted him, so weren't exactly in the box seat during that trade.

Also, digging our heals in on Ball blew up in our face and we couldn't afford a repeat. The Eagles offer was far from perfect, as was the Pies, but after Ball ended a Pie anyway and we had nothing to show for it, Goldsack or Wellingham along with pick 30 all of a sudden didn't look so bad.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Cripps was also out of contract and badly wanted to go to the Eagles, perhaps even more than they wanted him, so weren't exactly in the box seat during that trade.
Yep, and this made the commentary on Sunday even more idiotic.

After Cripps kicked a miraculous goal someone (Anthony Hudson?) made the comment that Cripps would've "relished kicking one against his old club".

That sort of comment is really only applicable where a club has forced a player out. In this instance we wanted to keep him but he wanted to go, and we facilitated getting him back home even though West Coast tried to screw us. We actually did him a favour.

So while Cripps would've been very happy with his snap, I doubt he would've felt chuffed because it was against his original club.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:After Cripps kicked a miraculous goal someone (Anthony Hudson?) made the comment that Cripps would've "relished kicking one against his old club".
Hudson the pipsqueak loves to blurt out hyperbole and always at fever pitch. That is why he is a terrible commentator. Can't wait for the Rex Hunt-style of commentary to no longer be in vogue. Bring back the level-headed style of guys like Peter Landy!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Doctor Two wrote:

Father son is no guarantee as the points system/discount still applies but point taken.

We could have got Mason Wood then. And Brodie Murdoch is better than twisties and a fanta.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Weren't we all pulling ourselves over Lonie last year

Templeton in 2014

Buddy White and BJ Siposs after a couple of nice games

Rhys 'the next big thing' Stanley

Gresham now is flavour of the month

Acres
Fyfe one day
Disappointing the next

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Doctor Two wrote:

Father son is no guarantee as the points system/discount still applies but point taken.

We could have got Mason Wood then. And Brodie Murdoch is better than twisties and a fanta.
Come next year when Murdoch will be delisted I reckon you will go for the Fanta and twisties