Match Thread Saints v Hawks @ Tassie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Hawks @ Tassie

I soothe myself by saying this is the perfect result - we'll get a better draft pick and we know we oculd have beaten them except for killer turnovers and umpires getting them across the line. Our time is coming.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:I soothe myself by saying this is the perfect result - we'll get a better draft pick and we know we oculd have beaten them except for killer turnovers and umpires getting them across the line. Our time is coming.
exactly. We are on the way up. what did they beat us by last year

spert
Saintsational Legend

Great effort against the best, but gawd, handing the Hawks easy goals with turnovers was just dumb. The umpire who called the short balls at that kick-in must have had a serious brain-fade and will be getting a serious blast form the umps boss this week, and the Hawks did get the benefit of some soft frees in the last quarter. Armo's dive in the end was pretty silly, but at least we were going for broke. So add it all together and that was our day. We would have beaten most teams with that effort
Thought we missed Dustan in the tight stuff, and probably Webster's disposal from the back half. Our older blokes in the backline slowed down in the end, and Geary being off the ground added up to giving the on that effort.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Great effort against the best, but gawd, handing the Hawks easy goals with turnovers was just dumb. The umpire who called the short balls at that kick-in must have had a serious brain-fade and will be getting a serious blast form the umps boss this week, and the Hawks did get the benefit of some soft frees in the last quarter. Armo's dive in the end was pretty silly, but at least we were going for broke. So add it all together and that was our day. We would have beaten most teams with that effort
Thought we missed Dustan in the tight stuff, and probably Webster's disposal from the back half. Our older blokes in the backline slowed down in the end, and Geary being off the ground added up to giving the on that effort.
great summation

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
spert wrote:Great effort against the best, but gawd, handing the Hawks easy goals with turnovers was just dumb. The umpire who called the short balls at that kick-in must have had a serious brain-fade and will be getting a serious blast form the umps boss this week, and the Hawks did get the benefit of some soft frees in the last quarter. Armo's dive in the end was pretty silly, but at least we were going for broke. So add it all together and that was our day. We would have beaten most teams with that effort
great summation
Agree. Admirably level headed in the aftermath of a close loss.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Good to see Billings have his second high possion game in a row.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Geary off makes us a better side.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Geary off makes us a better side.
rough call

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

No complaints about our team - we're developing and that was a heartwarming effort. McCartin looks the goods. Lee generally lovely kicking - a couple of woeful ones, but his first game in a long time and against the best team in the comp in a windy game. Ross becoming very consistent. Bruce coming back to his best. And more importantly - the team looks like it believes. They'll know they could have played a lot cleaner and that it cost them - they'll get better and better!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

...it crossed my mind I must say....amazing attack on the footy though. Apparently went at 100%efficiency today when I checked the stats!

Nee!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:No complaints about our team - we're developing and that was a heartwarming effort. McCartin looks the goods. Lee generally lovely kicking - a couple of woeful ones, but his first game in a long time and against the best team in the comp in a windy game. Ross becoming very consistent. Bruce coming back to his best. And more importantly - the team looks like it believes. They'll know they could have played a lot cleaner and that it cost them - they'll get better and better!
And a taxing game last week. Backing up after a tough one is notoriously difficult for young teams. Played with a lot of pride and daring today. It shows - the best form of defense is a good offence - you have to be able to fire back. Another good spread or scorers

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:No complaints about our team - we're developing and that was a heartwarming effort. McCartin looks the goods. Lee generally lovely kicking - a couple of woeful ones, but his first game in a long time and against the best team in the comp in a windy game. Ross becoming very consistent. Bruce coming back to his best. And more importantly - the team looks like it believes. They'll know they could have played a lot cleaner and that it cost them - they'll get better and better!
This was the best thing for me today, thought he really proved himself this afternoon. Good signs from Paddy too.

Nee!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm finding it too hard to be upset about this loss.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Tom Lee was a big positive today. 19 disposals couple of small errors but still happy with his game. Get his confidence up and that will help his great kick and hold on to a few more of those intercept marks.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:Tom Lee was a big positive today. 19 disposals couple of small errors but still happy with his game. Get his confidence up and that will help his great kick and hold on to a few more of those intercept marks.
Agree. 9 marks. Apart from those turnover errors, he was solid.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

hmmmmmm.

tough to lose it ...but
.... not a disaster in the overall picture i wouldnt of thought

Belief instilled , Patience required.
(fitter , faster , proficient execution and sharp drafting can only improve us)

Ye old roller coaster seems to be pickn up some speed.
... well done Sainters.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:
rough call
Yes. He was his usual tough as nails (plus a couple of the usual clangers) but when he went off, we started to go off too.

Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
LTN16 wrote:Tom Lee was a big positive today. 19 disposals couple of small errors but still happy with his game. Get his confidence up and that will help his great kick and hold on to a few more of those intercept marks.
Agree. 9 marks. Apart from those turnover errors, he was solid.
Really pleasing first crack back after two years of injury. I like the idea of him up back. He did really well in a couple of contests today against much bigger blokes and when he gets onto it is a beauty of a kick.

Always loyal
loris
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
rough call
Yes. He was his usual tough as nails (plus a couple of the usual clangers) but when he went off, we started to go off too.
He was a major factor in the third quarter that Hawthorn were thwarted in getting their game going to run over us. His endeavour & blocking were very important.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Mitchell 44 touches - should someone have tagged him? I know they don't do it much because of the rules protecting players (you can;t do the Cameron Ling 'drape' any more). He constantly got the play going Hawks way and was their best player by miles with a lot of the others down today. I think we couild have sacrificed someone to shut him down more.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Liam_G wrote:
bigred wrote:s*** effort.

Still lost.

They got what, eight goals off direct turnovers.

Man I wish we won that one.
Pull your f**** head in. I certainly agree that we should have won, and that we were our own worst enemy with many turnovers costing goals, that eventually coat us the win. That's on us and it's our fault, not the umpires. WE lost that game.

But saying the entire match was a "s**" effort"? That's pathetic and diminishing and I hope to God the players don't listen to chumps like you who tell them they gave a "s*** effort". They gave an enormous effort that in the end wasn't good enough.

" s*** effort"?! FFS, go back to that hole you hide in all season .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Stick your Nexus 5 up your date.

We lost that game as much as Hawthorn won it.

Gifted it to them in the first half with pathetic disposal. Stop being an apologist for incompetence.

Back to my hole now.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Stick your Nexus 5 up your date.

We lost that game as much as Hawthorn won it.

Gifted it to them in the first half with pathetic disposal. Stop being an apologist for incompetence.

Back to my hole now.
We were so incompetent - almost beating the reigning premiers on their home ground except for the s*** umpiring. Utter incompetence. Sack Richo!!

AccidentallyTim
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:At the ground. Hard to understand why we gave up on Tassie. Playing conditions and stadium sublime.
Lonnie is a crap city. Hobart a million times better (and a nice stadium there also)
Don't come here then.

Ground is brilliant, surface rated by players as best in the country and locals are not so far up their own behind that you cant speak to a stranger without being accused of a crime.

A little thing called customer service still exists in Launceston also.

Very nice place.

Which city do you call home?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

and not having you commentate makes this a better site

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
and not having you commentate makes this a better site
Please stick to the topic Terry and away from the personal jibes. Thanks.