McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin

BigMart wrote:Are you sure?

Nick h and Nick H won the RS award in their second year

Jesse Hogan at 20 last year

Modra started older but kicked a ton in his second year

Grant and Lloyd both booted 50 as teenagers

Cloke won s B&F at 20

Could go on... It's all individualistic

Some took years to make it... Like Hawkins

Paddy will be a player... But as I stayed, has a long way to go
His fitness and body shape are not that of an elite athlete, he needs to work hard.
In your initial list, you've gone back a fair way, Marto. As someone mentioned, the era is relevant.

Nick was the latest starter in your earlier list - in '01. Pavlich a year earlier. The only other on your list to start less than 20 years ago is Treadrea, and he started 19 years ago.

Of the rest - Lloyd '95, Holland '94, Rocca '93, Modra '92, Grant '90 and Dunstall '85 (31 years ago).

As an indication of how much the scoring patterns have evolved (e.g. greater spread away from dominant key forwards), here's the list of leading goalkickers, by year, up to 2014:

http://footystats.freeservers.com/Footy ... dGoal.html

Compare, say, the last 10 years, with the 10 years of the '90's when most of your list were underway. Kennedy kicked what, 80+ last year? In a year his side played off, and he turned 27 last year. Given Kennedy doesn't feature anywhere else in that list prior to last year, and the list shows the top 3 minimum by year, let's suggest Kennedy had a break out year last year - at 27.

80 odd goals seems to be around the modern game ceiling for the leading goalscorer, and even that looks statistically generous (given the last bloke to kick over 73 was Fevola in '09).

Of the players I wondered about, Franklin started the furthest back, in '05, so 11 years ago.

Franklin kicked 21 from 20 games in his 1st year, 31 from 14 games in his 2nd and 73 from 22 games in his 3rd. He's the last bloke to kick 100, in '08, in his 4th year (and 8 years ago, assuming no-one does it this year, which they won't).

While Franklin started in spots other than as a key forward, I'd suggest his first 2 seasons, 34 game, average of ~ 11 disposals a game (7K/4H) show the Dorks were willing to be patient.

And, again, how much has the game changed in those 11 years? I reckon one way to tell is to look at Franklin since he kicked the ton in '08. By that list, his season high since '08 is 71 goals (missing last year's numbers, as noted earlier).

You pleaded with folks not to compare Paddy to Plugger. I don't reckon anyone has tried to do so, apart from the odd narrow comparison (e.g. shape, elements of playing style).

To my mind, one of the reasons any such comparison is pointless is because of the different eras. I'd never compare the Doc to Plugger, mainly for the same reason - there's no point.

About the only relevant comparisons I can see are with Paddy's peers, or thereabouts, from this era, and only at comparable stages of their development. The rest we'll just have to wait and see.

And, yes, he does have to work hard, but so does everybody else. And, I'm entirely confident he is, and will - it just takes longer these days.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

We are patiently impatient. I see a lot of good signs with Paddy but had no idea how good Plugger was going to be and was wondering what all the fuss was with Franklin when he first started out. In fact I remember a Casey Scorpions match report where Gilbo played on him and apparently towelled him up. Paddy needs another year or two before he shows us how good he can really be.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:I'm starting a new thread because I'm sick of seeing the title of the other thread on page 1, should have been buried a week ago.

So anyway, really liked his game and he presented well, I think he is just around the corner from at least kicking 3-4, if he gets another game where our midfield is on top.

In 1 half he kicked a goal, passed off a shot on goal, missed 1 and missed another while concussed. That's 4 opportunities in 1 half for a guy with 8 games to his name, could have clunked another I50 mark if he and Bruce didn't collide. Also our mids really only got the ball rolling in the 3rd when he was done for the day. Once he settles the nerves and kicks accurately he will be well worth his position in the draft.

He has a real shot against Melbourne and GWS in a couple weeks in what I feel we must win at least 1 for the teams confidence, but obviously hoping for the double.

Great idea mate. Good thread
Last edited by saynta on Wed 13 Apr 2016 12:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary
Club Player

He has showed signs to suggest that he can be a very good key forward.

Hopefully his confidence starts to build. He could easily have had 3 goals at half time against the Pies.

If we stay patient, I think we will have an excellent forward combo with him and Bruce over the next 7-8 years.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Paddy took a mark right in front of us in the VFL at Vic Park last season that just about burst the footy.

It was a miserable, sodden day & there had only been a handful of contested marks taken all day.

On the outer flank a pack formed from which Paddy burst & took a massive clunking mark...the sound of leather on his hands was unbelievable.

He's got very very strong hands for a kid & will be a beauty. The accurate kicking will come...at present his action needs some tidying up (hello Lindsay Gilbee) but he'll start drilling them before too much longer.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Some people went nuts when we recruited him

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Yes

RODOS
Club Player

the lucky thing about paddy (and us!), is that it looks like the bags are coming back! Great news from a spectators point of view. Draft a full forward right at the beginning of an attacking era. Hope it stays this way!

OldGeorgeYoung
Club Player

I attended Plugger's first game with my father. He very always a good judge and came out with the big call of 'That skinny kid will never make it as a decent footballer'.

If we don't have hope. All is lost.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Some people went nuts when we recruited him
A lot of people are just nuts.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
longtimesaint
Club Player

OldGeorgeYoung wrote:I attended Plugger's first game with my father. He very always a good judge and came out with the big call of 'That skinny kid will never make it as a decent footballer'.
I was at Arden street for round 1 1983 and Lockett played his first game in the saints reserves.
He always looked a great prospect -II think he kicked about 4 that day.
He certainly wasn't skinny -we even remarked how big and strong he was for 17!

One year will be our year
Sobraz
SS Life Member

OldGeorgeYoung wrote: 'That skinny kid will never make it as a decent footballer'.

You sure he was talking about Plugger??

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:doubt he'll ever be as good as Plugger

neither will anyone else

Plugger was one of best two players I've seen. Paddy will be very good. That pack grab spoke volumes about his attitude, courage and ability.
Who's the other one? (best player you have seen)

Interesting that Plugger suffered from asthma and Paddy is diabetic. Perhaps we should recurit kids from the Childrens Hospital.

saintkid
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote:
OldGeorgeYoung wrote:I attended Plugger's first game with my father. He very always a good judge and came out with the big call of 'That skinny kid will never make it as a decent footballer'.
I was at Arden street for round 1 1983 and Lockett played his first game in the saints reserves.
My old man said the same thing. He was no skinny kid, looked special from the start and was pretty quick off the mark. Shouldn't even be compared to Plugger. Apparently Baldock marvelled over his immense talent when he was coach and said that if Plugger didn't have chronic asthma and was able to get himself fully fit, he would have been the greatest centre half forward the game had ever seen.

Plugger was the most exciting powerhouse footballer my old man has ever seen. Immensely talented, freakish strength, fast off the break and a great kick who would kick 55m plus goals in windy, swirly open weather conditions.

gone fission
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:
OldGeorgeYoung wrote: 'That skinny kid will never make it as a decent footballer'.

Confusing him with Matty Lappin, a common mix-up.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:
st.byron wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:doubt he'll ever be as good as Plugger

neither will anyone else

Plugger was one of best two players I've seen. Paddy will be very good. That pack grab spoke volumes about his attitude, courage and ability.
Who's the other one? (best player you have seen)
Gablett senior. Total freak, tough as nails.
Leigh Matthews was up there too, but not as much of a freak as Gablett.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Agree with Mathews, but not convinced about Ablett. I don't recall Ablett 'tearing up' St Kilda too many times, from memory he never did much in the Geelong B&F, and I've often suspected his performance may have been artificially assisted. Admittedly he did look impressive on the TV highlights.

bbm
Club Player

Round 1, 1983 - I'm pretty sure Rocket Rod Owen played his first game in the ones that day and looked something special
?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Agree with Mathews, but not convinced about Ablett. I don't recall Ablett 'tearing up' St Kilda too many times, from memory he never did much in the Geelong B&F, and I've often suspected his performance may have been artificially assisted. Admittedly he did look impressive on the TV highlights.
I watched Ablett play many times. I used to go to Geelong games just to watch him. In Perth and in Melbourne and Geelong. Total freak. Won many games I saw off his own boot. And he was as tough as buggery. I saw him run full pelt into a point post at the WACA one afternoon. He was eyes only for the ball with a WCE player up his clacker. Straight into the point post with his chest. The thud it made was awesome. The point post shook like crazy. Gablett just shook himself, got up and proceeded to win the game off his own boot in the last quarter. He made ridiculous stuff look easy. Wouldn't be surprised if his performance was 'assisted' but he wouldn't have been the lone ranger.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
My old man said the same thing. He was no skinny kid, looked special from the start and was pretty quick off the mark. Shouldn't even be compared to Plugger. Apparently Baldock marvelled over his immense talent when he was coach and said that if Plugger didn't have chronic asthma and was able to get himself fully fit, he would have been the greatest centre half forward the game had ever seen.

Plugger was the most exciting powerhouse footballer my old man has ever seen. Immensely talented, freakish strength, fast off the break and a great kick who would kick 55m plus goals in windy, swirly open weather conditions.
Compared to other young players Lockett was never skinny and at that time I would get to the games early enough to watch the reserves. He certainly filled out more though to a massive 118kg. At the start he was probably the build of what a normal player would become, but he went on to become a real brute.

Tony Lockett:
Started at North Ballarat, aged seven, in the Under 12s and had played 100 competitive games including four Grand Finals before he’d turned 16! He kicked a goal with his first kick in BFL competition

In 1985

In 1984

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lockett documentary of up to 1991

When asked to comment on other StKilda players who were the best he had seen in the red, white and black, he mentioned that there was a young fella coming through that he would be as good as any of them in a young Robert Harvey.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Agree with Mathews, but not convinced about Ablett. I don't recall Ablett 'tearing up' St Kilda too many times, from memory he never did much in the Geelong B&F, and I've often suspected his performance may have been artificially assisted. Admittedly he did look impressive on the TV highlights.
StKilda was one of the few teams that Ablett did not run amok against most games.

I remember one game at Moorabbin where Winmar was matched up against him and Nicky beat him keeping Ablett on the quiet side while being damaging himself.

supersaints
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote:
I was there he wasn't skinny was barrel chested , if I recall his legs and thighs were not particularly huge at that stage. Paddy does remind me more of Dunstalls shape... Who was criticized for being podgy and many the thought he would never make it.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
OldGeorgeYoung
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:

Yes and sorry, Should have mentioned that he was being sarcastic with referring to Plugger in his early days. I think I reminded him during every one of his 100 + goal seasons :D

If we don't have hope. All is lost.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Till he KOed himself I liked the way Paddy was going about his game.

He was running towards the right spots and was reading the play well.

Got one goal from running out the back too which shows smarts. Probably should have had a second that way too, but Lonie was too busy showing off his mark than to play on quickly to the two unguarded StKilda players in front of goals.

You can see that McCartin's body is still not as fit as it could be, but the upside in that is that when he does become super-fit that his game should be better.

He needs to work on his goal kicking though as he is missing some very getable sshots on goal, and if there is one thinga key forward needs to do it is to nail their opportunities. You do not want him to be the next Cloke.