Time to pay tribute to a great Saint

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Time to pay tribute to a great Saint

You know folks, a football club is not only about the players on the field, or the coaching staff. The true fabric of a club is reflected in the efforts of ALL its followers. Twenty five years ago I lost a dear pal, Les Griffith, who was a Sainter through and through. From that moment I knew I could NEVER barrack for any club but St Kilda. Today we mourn the loss of another great Saint, in Tom "Eastern" Grogan. If ever a supporter of this club of ours merited the status of "legend" then it would be my pal Eastern. I never heard a negative word about the club from him. His efforts in organizing the "Saints march" around "the Dome we call home" are truly remarkable, particularly in view of the fact that our ladder positions at the time were less than fantastic.
At a time when so many of us gripe and moan about how awful things are for the Saints, Tom was prepared to continue giving his all for the cause, getting involved in doing something about it, rather than complaining. I just don't know how I'll ever get used to not seeing him at the Whitten Room, reminding me (not so gently) that it was "my shout" I can't imagine not seeing him in the outer at the MCG with those binnoculars around his neck, and his ready smile and handshake. Someone far wiser than I once wrote "Death ends a life, but it cannot end a relationship, as this will endure in the hearts and memories of those who are left behind" My memories of dear Tom are all positive, I must now prepare to face the prospect of continuing my support for the club without him at my shoulder; it's going to be tough. :(
I am hoping that the club will pay tribute to this loyal Saint. Perhaps we could march together around Etihad one more time, for our dear Pal?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Re: Time to pay tribute to a great Saint

Nice tribute Dave. I too met Eastern through this forum & later his lovely wife Wendy. It was only on Saturday that I was talking to them about their planned trip to the Gold Coast later in the year to see the Saints play.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Really sad to hear of Tom's passing.

I didn't realise that Tom's alter ego was Saintsational legend Eastern.

While I never met Tom, I enjoyed our interactions on Twitter & his opinions/love for the mighty Saints.

Vale Tom & sincere condolences to his family & friends.

Thomas
Club Player

Well said Dave, if I was as good with words I would have said the same, I shall miss that handshake you mentioned and him making a bee line to my seat at half time to have a chat, My sympathy goes to Wendy and all the family.

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

CARN THE SAINTS.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

I can remember one final at The Corner for pre game drinks
Ther was something about his foot, had a toe missing or something, and i was like, really? And laughed.

Up came the foot on the table amongst the beer jugs and glasses, off came the shoe and sock out with his foot all proud saying told ya..
Lol
Ten mins later he is up on a chair yelling around the bar that its time to march up to the ground..and off we trotted up the road to see the mighty sainters
Only met him the half a dozen times or so when we could get over to melbs, but he was a great bloke and a complete and utter saints tragic

When you lot that knew him so well meet up next time....make sure you sink a beer for me to honor him at the ground
Ill be having one at the pies game this weekend on the couch and will salute the sainter legend.

starsign
Club Player

Very Sad news indeed Dave
Fond memories of our pre-game "church services" and the great Sainters Fellowship with the big fella
Guess it's always going to remainl Tommy's shout!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps we could meet up pre-game and march to the G to honour our friend?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I never met him but he was very helpful when I was trying to organise a driving instructor for my son from the other side of the world.

RIP

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Perhaps we could meet up pre-game and march to the G to honour our friend?
That's a great idea. Not sure if there is enough time to get a big turnout though. I'm away but would certainly do it.

I'd also like a simple "RIP Tom" somewhere on our banner. He deserves this at the very minimum for what he's done for our club and respect for his loved ones.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:You know folks, a football club is not only about the players on the field, or the coaching staff. The true fabric of a club is reflected in the efforts of ALL its followers. Twenty five years ago I lost a dear pal, Les Griffith, who was a Sainter through and through. From that moment I knew I could NEVER barrack for any club but St Kilda. Today we mourn the loss of another great Saint, in Tom "Eastern" Grogan. If ever a supporter of this club of ours merited the status of "legend" then it would be my pal Eastern. I never heard a negative word about the club from him. His efforts in organizing the "Saints march" around "the Dome we call home" are truly remarkable, particularly in view of the fact that our ladder positions at the time were less than fantastic.
At a time when so many of us gripe and moan about how awful things are for the Saints, Tom was prepared to continue giving his all for the cause, getting involved in doing something about it, rather than complaining. I just don't know how I'll ever get used to not seeing him at the Whitten Room, reminding me (not so gently) that it was "my shout" I can't imagine not seeing him in the outer at the MCG with those binnoculars around his neck, and his ready smile and handshake. Someone far wiser than I once wrote "Death ends a life, but it cannot end a relationship, as this will endure in the hearts and memories of those who are left behind" My memories of dear Tom are all positive, I must now prepare to face the prospect of continuing my support for the club without him at my shoulder; it's going to be tough. :(
I am hoping that the club will pay tribute to this loyal Saint. Perhaps we could march together around Etihad one more time, for our dear Pal?
Well said Dave.

Wont be the same without Tom there. I feel terrible for Wendy at the moment, a more horrible thing to lose a partner at the ages they are at.

A great big larger than life bloke was Tom. I am very sad today.

But I wont dwell on that. Tom would tell me to wake up to myself, put on the mankini and get to the bar.

I for one will celebrate the mans life and the fortune that supporting the mighty Saints has allowed me to meet the likes of him and Wendy and Dave and Narelle and Mick and dozens of other great Saints supporters.

Vale Tom you big bastard. You still owe me a beer, and I will want it repaid next time I see you.

You are garbage - Enough said
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Heaven just got another great Saint.. Tom was a great bloke always greeting you with a warm smile and a great sense of humour a true gentleman. I have fond memories of his cheeky questions he would post to former CEO Archie Fraser about shouting the Whitten bar a beer after a win on the short lived "Ask Archie" forum... He would joke his arms were short and his pockets were deep when it came to buying a beer but he was one of the most generous fellas about - so glad to say I had shared a beer with Tom and even prouder to say he shouted me one once ;)
Rest in peace mate I'm sure the view from up there will be great to watch our team play

Looking to Twitter it makes me happy that his last tweets were a dig at Pendles playing under a fitness cloud and that Dr Weller will gladly put him under a fitness test on Saturday...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Solar
Saintsational Legend

With a heavy heart I come back on here to say goodbye to a champion person. He got life, smiles and humour all around.

Will never forget the period of 2000 to 2012 where he was always a fun and lovely person to share the ups and downs of following the saints.

Always willing to smile and listen, no matter how crazy you were at the footy. His cheeky comments before and after games will never be forgotten. A friend of many.

RIP TOM (eastern)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
markp
Saintsational Legend

Very sad news, which I've only just discovered.

Great and fitting tribute, Dave.

He will be missed.

Condolences to those who loved him.

Farewell Eastern.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Ditto, only just discovered this news through the forum. Really champion Saint supporter. Vale Eastern.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

RIP Tom.

Absolute ripping bloke.

Enjoy watching us from the big grandstand up there mate

The Saints are coming!