Team v dogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v dogs

we're a definite chance. No problem with the changes, though Paddy coming in surprises me, but it will hopefully give Nick a bit more freedom coming into the fifty.
As for Dunstan - what i've seen suggests we've got a very good, hard mid developing there. He will be a perfect replacement for Lenny down the track.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The OtherThommo wrote:And a P.S. I also don't place much store in VFL practice match form. "Getting through the game" is about as far as I'd go.
Richardson used practice match form for Sinclair forcing Acres out.

I suppose that practice match form only counts for some players, as Minchington got 44 possessions. Should have forced out at least Gresham or Dunstan according to Richo's logic.

You are garbage - Enough said
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:And a P.S. I also don't place much store in VFL practice match form. "Getting through the game" is about as far as I'd go.

I suppose that practice match form only counts for some players, as Minchington got 44 possessions. Should have forced out at least Gresham or Dunstan according to Richo's logic.
...or Acres is sore...or he's a late change.

Did Sinclair get 30-ish possessions and 3 goals against A-class opposition and Minch 40-odd possessions against C-class? Does Minch have the runs on the board in a high pressure AFL game? I guess they're questions that need to be asked, rather than the story a bunch of stats tell.

Not saying Minch isn't hard done by, but we also assume a lot on here at times.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

I agree with the TOT. As pleasing as it is to see these guys dominate, I'd be far more encouraged if they did it in a game that was up for 4 points. Hawks obviously playing a severely weakened team.

Minch did it in a VFL final last year, and was at least as impressive as anyone on the ground by the sounds of things. How he doesn't get a game is mind boggling. We have plenty of Sinclair types, and the bottom line is that we didn't need Sinclair this week imo. An argument could be made that we were too short last week, but I hope like hell that we're not too slow in the fwd half and they just keep running it back out.

saint-stu
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:we're a definite chance. No problem with the changes, though Paddy coming in surprises me, but it will hopefully give Nick a bit more freedom coming into the fifty.
As for Dunstan - what i've seen suggests we've got a very good, hard mid developing there. He will be a perfect replacement for Lenny down the track.
Yes I like the look of Dunstan too. He's still so young but I reckon he has shown a lot more early on that either Newnes or Ross did at that age and they seem pretty solid now.

Even Armo for that matter was very late to mature.

1ac46a38
To the top
SS Life Member

Where I think Minchington is up against it is that he is 179cm and weighs 82Kg's.

So about Montagna size.

At that size I just do not think he is going to dominate clearances at AFL level - altho he does at VFL level.

My thoughts are that, at that size, you need real pace to capitalize on "outside" opportunities.

Currently, since debuting in 2013, he has played 10 AFL games and kicked 12 goals.

There are exceptions such as Mitchell and Ablett, but look at their body size v. Minchington. They can hold their own in the clinches.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Where I think Minchington is up against it is that he is 179cm and weighs 82Kg's.

So about Montagna size.

At that size I just do not think he is going to dominate clearances at AFL level - altho he does at VFL level.

My thoughts are that, at that size, you need real pace to capitalize on "outside" opportunities.

Currently, since debuting in 2013, he has played 10 AFL games and kicked 12 goals.

There are exceptions such as Mitchell and Ablett, but look at their body size v. Minchington. They can hold their own in the clinches.
No different in size or physical attributes to Dion Prestia or Taylor Adams etc.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
I'm going down to Willi tomorrow to watch Sandy play. Will keep a close eye on meatball and report back.

Anyone else want me to keep an eye on anyone. I'll be watching DMAC, Lee and Goddard so I might hang down the backline
Yep that's the bunch I'm most interested in - as well as Acres. I reckon Match committee would be assessing what Minch does off the ball ie "pressure acts" as much as what he does when he gets it. Would be interested to know how he compares to a Lonie for example in that category.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
eel33
Club Player

Eli did some nice things last week. Just not enough of them, so Sinclair had to come in. Paddy as another tall forward for structure vs the Dogs. Acres unfortunate to go out, and Gresh fortunate to stay in. But if Acres is out the midfield with Minch is too short to compete with the Dogs' midfield, so Minch had virtually no chance on that basis. All he can do is keep performing and ultimately give the selection committee no choice.

Can't help but feel that those questioning Dunstan's place in the side weren't watching last week.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
To the top wrote:Where I think Minchington is up against it is that he is 179cm and weighs 82Kg's.

So about Montagna size.

No different in size or physical attributes to Dion Prestia or Taylor Adams etc.
...or Sinclair who is 180 and 80. (Though I do like Sinclair as an in).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

So about Montagna size.

Que? I was responding to a post about Minchington. The general issue seems to be that Minchington is dominant at VFL level but the club has decided - based on some theoretical reason - rather than actual facts - that he isnt an AFL player.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

So about Montagna size.

Que? I was responding to a post about Minchington. The general issue seems to be that Minchington is dominant at VFL level but the club has decided - based on some theoretical reason - rather than actual facts - that he isnt an AFL player.
I really want Minch to have a decant shot but i think your hypothesis has been made rather hastily... It is after all only round 2

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

So about Montagna size.

I really want Minch to have a decant shot but i think your hypothesis has been made rather hastily... It is after all only round 2
Definitely going early again Con. They only played a VFL practice game so you can't read into the form too much.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Saints by 15

dragit
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Definitely going early again Con. They only played a VFL practice game so you can't read into the form too much.
But they read enough from that one VFL practice game to promote 2 other guys ahead of acres who was dropped after his best game for the club...?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Definitely going early again Con. They only played a VFL practice game so you can't read into the form too much.
But they can read the form into Sinclair and McCartin?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Don't disagree with the 1st mention, Bluthy but, given he did, I think there is some logic in giving him a second game (not saying overwhelming logic, just some). I'm also more confident about passing comment on how someone has performed when I've watched the game live. I tend to spend a fair bit of time looking forward of and behind the ball, rather than at the ball all the time. Watching on telly is not the same (exacerbated by watching with a few compadres and a beer in hand, while being distracted by how the lamb's progressing on the Weber).

I'm also not sure we'd beat the Dogs by trying to match them speed for speed, player for player. I'm a fan of a little differentiation from the opponent, if only to give them something to think about (and I think that might be one reason Paddy comes back - they're not really that big down back, and Paddy does have more than one string to concern opponents).

But, on the match up, last year's 2 games suggested we can compete with them. That just happens sometimes b/w some clubs, for whatever reason.

And, I think you're probably right on the Gresham kiddie being well regarded by Richardson. I've actually been a little surprised at Richardson's apparent leanings to some players - I thought he may be a little more 'relaxed' about letting players' performances do the talking, rather than seemingly marking a few cards.

I also think we're a chance tomorrow night. I thought the same last week, despite my compadres doubts. I do tend to the optimistic, but never ridiculously so ('if this goes right for us, and that doesn't for them', kinda thing - I do like to argue a case!!). I just think we're developing OK - whether that translates into ladder position, I'll have to wait and see.

But, generally relaxed about the direction and progress, me.

Yeah I'm pretty relaxed about Mr Richo's decisions - he's got a good track record so far - just having a bit of vent after they dropped Blacres. I've said before that Richo is going to naturally have some bias to players he played a part in recruiting as they are picked to fit his game plan and the Pelchen spreadsheet. They are also malleable fresh clay he can mould exactly how he wants them to play right off the bat. Its gunna be hard for the fringers with a new batch of talented good kicking kiddies coming in each year. They have to fight for those depth spots and then try to push for a 22 spot with consistent outstanding performances.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Does Geary get STringer today? He's got the speed. You almost get him to do a straight tagging role telling him to stay up Stringers clacker all the time and don't worry too much about the rest of the defence.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought Dempster, but he's very hard to match up on... He can be quiet but still turn the game in a 10 minute burst...

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I would have thought Dempster, but he's very hard to match up on... He can be quiet but still turn the game in a 10 minute burst...
s*** he's 192 cm. I didn't realise he was that tall. Maybe Dempster then but he's a bit slow. Geary needs to provide good cover.

jays
Club Player

thinking we have huge chance in this freo made dogs look good like the odds they putting up for us

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Something on Channel 10 News (Heard by my wife) about a St,Kilda player having an operation. Anybody able enlarge on that?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Something on Channel 10 News (Heard by my wife) about a St,Kilda player having an operation. Anybody able enlarge on that?
Probably Carlisle who had a hip clean out and will unavailable for the next 14 rounds :shock:

loris
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Something on Channel 10 News (Heard by my wife) about a St,Kilda player having an operation. Anybody able enlarge on that?
Would it be Carlisle's hip operation?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle. Apparently been playing injured for awhile - would've had to miss a lot of this season anyway. Somehow some think this is nothing of a worry. you pay a particular price for a product for a certain few years, a higher price than you actually wanted but the vendor bargained better than you, and then you don't even get use of the product for the first year of ownership, due to pre-existing problems, one you were aware could occur, but buyer lust made you underestimate the likelihood, the other you had no idea of, but it's all good?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "