Freeman update

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Freeman update

Listed as "indefinite" on the injury list after being 4 weeks last week.
Does anyone who knows him or gets down to training know how he is tracking?
Participating in match simulation?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Freeman update

Read the injury update thread. My understanding is he is doing full training and match sim but they are trying to get his hammy as strong as possible. Richo spoke about round 5 to be available (but that could well change).

Saint wagga
Club Player

I was cautiously optimisitc about Freemans prospects when we recruited him, but the longer his 'training bloc' goes and the less of the season he is avaialble to be playing competitive footy, be it VFL or AFL, the more i'm becoming concerned about his long term prospects...

He has already missed a huge chunk of 2 seasons and now is missing at least 1 quater of this season. That is a lot of football that he will be playing catch up on, and although in an elite environment, that is a concerning lack of matc time.

I can't help but think about how it affected Daniel Markworth's ability to progress his career (I know he had several injury areas). My concern is despite Freemans obvious talent, this long out of the game will probably affect his ability...look at all the other long term injured guys with repeat ACL's or hamstring issues...Gumbelton is one that comes to mind that just got no continuity and constantly teased fans and coaches alike.

Hopefully our medicos are just being ridiculously conservative with his next 3 years firmly at the front of their minds...but it's one thing to consider the hammy rehab, it's another to consider the lack of match play affecting his progrression...FWIW

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Goose is king wrote:Listed as "indefinite" on the injury list after being 4 weeks last week.
The club is not with holding anything. Trained strongly with the team this morning. Did the warm ups, set ups and match simulation at full pace. He is just getting match fit.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:I was cautiously optimisitc about Freemans prospects when we recruited him, but the longer his 'training bloc' goes and the less of the season he is avaialble to be playing competitive footy, be it VFL or AFL, the more i'm becoming concerned about his long term prospects...

He has already missed a huge chunk of 2 seasons and now is missing at least 1 quater of this season. That is a lot of football that he will be playing catch up on, and although in an elite environment, that is a concerning lack of matc time.

I can't help but think about how it affected Daniel Markworth's ability to progress his career (I know he had several injury areas). My concern is despite Freemans obvious talent, this long out of the game will probably affect his ability...look at all the other long term injured guys with repeat ACL's or hamstring issues...Gumbelton is one that comes to mind that just got no continuity and constantly teased fans and coaches alike.

Hopefully our medicos are just being ridiculously conservative with his next 3 years firmly at the front of their minds...but it's one thing to consider the hammy rehab, it's another to consider the lack of match play affecting his progrression...FWIW
I hope it's not a repeat of that 'young gun' we got from North Melbourne a few years ago - can't recall his name at the moment. May have been Smith - I know it was a rather common Anglo name. He was supposed to have 'star potential written all over him'. North eventually gave up because they couldn't keep him on the park, traded to us - don't think Saintsever got him on the park!

He was an outside speedster, that had foot problems. Hope it's not a repeat of that recruiting disaster.

loris
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
Goose is king wrote:Listed as "indefinite" on the injury list after being 4 weeks last week.
The club is not with holding anything. Trained strongly with the team this morning. Did the warm ups, set ups and match simulation at full pace. He is just getting match fit.
Thanks tony74, that sounds more promising :)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Fmd its not like he is 28 yo
We have all the time in the world to get him right
How would yoh feel if he came in in two weeks and it pinged again because he was rushed

Theres no rush
If he makes it he makes it
If he doesnt we can all whine about the wasted draft pick

Saint wagga
Club Player

matrix wrote:Fmd its not like he is 28 yo
We have all the time in the world to get him right
How would yoh feel if he came in in two weeks and it pinged again because he was rushed

Theres no rush
If he makes it he makes it
If he doesnt we can all whine about the wasted draft pick
I would beg to argue, that in some regards there is a rush...we want to climb the ladder as quick as possible and we payed a fairly solid draft price for him to hit his staps in the next couple of years..

I was more trying to make that point that despite the nature of the injury, it's more the time out of the game that is starting to be a concern, and that there has been plenty of examples of young guns that have had repeated injuries that not only the injury instelf but the years out of playing footy that has meant they never full fill theyre obvious talent.

Guys like Menzel and Morrabito come to mind. I kow they're repeat ACL's, but at some point if you miss enough footy, you fall behind and aren't the player you were. I know both those guys have made it back to play some footy but they just aren't nearly as good as they could have have been, i reckon that's a fair statement, and not a critism, in fact any of those sort of guys that can get back tp playing even close to afl standard footy are to be commended, its just sad that we never got to see say a Morrabito develop alongside Fyfe, or a Menzel just develop naturally and maintain all that brilliant athletiisicm...thats more my conern with Freeman...

Another is Markworth...plenty of talent but in between all his injury issues (yes he was unfortanetly injury prone, rotten luck), his game just didn't seem to track in the same linear fashion of improvement as others that don't miss large chunks of footy...

Of course happy for all that concern to be completely proved wrong.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Wasnt particularly picking on any post in general
Just stating we have all the time in the world with him

Do i think the hammies will last?
No
Obviously i hope he gets over the trouble and is a b&f winner, but hammies are notorious for being bastards
Lets hope the medical staff can get him right, not push him too much and he is an absolute gun.

Id like to see him get fit, they believe he is fine and then he plays a month in the ressies, survive that and then plays the afl level footy.

Be all accounts the kid can certainly play, lets hope we see that

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Many players with chronic hamstring injuries overcome them. Rob Harvey had awful issues early in his career. Hamish Hartlett a more recent example. The only thing we need to worry about is that the club is doing everything right to ensure his longterm health is the priority.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

No ones doubting you cant get over them
All im saying is they can be a complete bastard to get over, zure some have done so and well, others have not.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

matrix wrote:No ones doubting you cant get over them
All im saying is they can be a complete bastard to get over, zure some have done so and well, others have not.
It was just a general comment not really directed at you. We just need to be patient & understand the club is taking the longterm view of Freeman's rehab. If he was best 22 & we were about to play finals then sure we rush it a bit more.

I can remember many players with chronic hammies but not many that had their careers prematurely ended by them?

Grrrrr
Club Player

loris wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:I was cautiously optimisitc about Freemans prospects when we recruited him, but the longer his 'training bloc' goes and the less of the season he is avaialble to be playing competitive footy, be it VFL or AFL, the more i'm becoming concerned about his long term prospects...

I hope it's not a repeat of that 'young gun' we got from North Melbourne a few years ago - can't recall his name at the moment. May have been Smith - I know it was a rather common Anglo name. He was supposed to have 'star potential written all over him'. North eventually gave up because they couldn't keep him on the park, traded to us - don't think Saintsever got him on the park!

He was an outside speedster, that had foot problems. Hope it's not a repeat of that recruiting disaster.
Jesse Smith is who it was. Massive issues with his ankle/s. Played a few games with The Saints from memory.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote:
Sorry Tony not having a go, because everything you posted is a real positive, but how does one get match fit without playing matches?

Do you mean they are putting in as much conditioning as possible into him and maybe even overprepare him for his first match?

Cant argue with strategy if true, but the info I received form an ITK was less positive.

Who knows, hope when he comes back, even if its not until 2017 he is cherry ripe and fit to play.

You are garbage - Enough said
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

loris wrote:

Saw him once play for Sandy Loris at Port Melbourne. The kid was head and shoulders above the rest of them on the park. Unfortunately it was his last game. His ankle would just not come up and he retired a short time later.

We picked him up @ about pick 65 and for nothing so it was well worth the risk.

You are garbage - Enough said
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Ah well good news that he's been seen on the track in full training. If he had a setback he certainly wouldnt be in full training.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:

Jesse Smith

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
loris wrote:

Saw him once play for Sandy Loris at Port Melbourne. The kid was head and shoulders above the rest of them on the park. Unfortunately it was his last game. His ankle would just not come up and he retired a short time later.

We picked him up @ about pick 65 and for nothing so it was well worth the risk.
pick 60.. our 2nd pick. s*** year for us really

nick winmar pick 32, smith pick 60, adam pattison pick 62, will johnson pick 77, zac dawson pick 87, luke miles pick 93, plus two trades, lovett and peake. f****** horrible , just horrible.

Geez I hate Ross Lyon.

That was 2009, 2010 wasn't any better.

Cripps, croker, ledger, siposs, gamble, polo, and simpkin.. All gone.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
pick 60.. our 2nd pick. s*** year for us really

nick winmar pick 32, smith pick 60, adam pattison pick 62, will johnson pick 77, zac dawson pick 87, luke miles pick 93, plus two trades, lovett and peake. f****** horrible , just horrible.

Geez I hate Ross Lyon.

That was 2009, 2010 wasn't any better.

Cripps, croker, ledger, siposs, gamble, polo, and simpkin.. All gone.
Until the last couple of years, the last time the Saints drafted at least well for talent relative to picks was in 2001 (which was a great set of picks, and an amazing draft for us by any measure. Though it was also a very strong draft year.)....but hey yes blame Lyon for all the recruiting woes and ignore the black hole that our recruiting was from 2003 on.

2002 was only ok as we got Fisher at 55, but dudded out with Ferguson. BJ at 1 does not count as a good pick as it was an obvious pick. Good drafting is who you pick when there is not an obvious choice.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I’m not worried at all.

It’s the club’s job to worry about trades, not mine.

And the time for the club to worry is before the deal is done, not after.

The Saints went ahead and did the deal so all we can do is sit back and hope for the best.

The pick we used is gone and whatever will be will be.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Don't be like that Dr… ain't nobody got time for your sanity…

It's our job to freak. the. f***. out…

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

He's doing great. Patience....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Don't be like that Dr… ain't nobody got time for your sanity…

It's our job to freak. the. f***. out…

Eaxcatly. ;)

As lifelong fans we are permanently invested in our drafting......those that may leave the club may not be too concerned about our drafting errors, but we as sure hell are.....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I remember there was a time when the great Robert Harvey was having soft tissue injuries as were several of our players, and we were having difficulty getting Harvs on the park. Was certainly worth the wait though.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I think Freeman is exactly the sort of roll the dice we need to take.
We don't have the drawing power of a Geelong to get a player like Dangerfield for unders.
We don't have the cash with benefits to offer like the Collingwoods.

So we need to get crafty and pick up bargains that turn into gold. Sam Fisher comes to mind at what was it ? 63 ?
Monty at 37.

Freeman was obviously not going to be a instant success like Dangerfield but could be a great find at the price we paid.

We need to be patient. That's our problem. I understand people getting restless but like a fine wine we need to be patient.

It's not that easy for a club like ours.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11