Positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Positives

saynta wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:I was absolutely delighted considering Port are top 4 material. Sure the final quarter was disappointing, but we just ran out of legs. I think the missed practice match contributed to that.

Hickey had a mighty game, all the Hickey doubters should man up and say they were wrong. The best rucking display I've seen from a St Kilda ruckman for a long time. Better than any game McEvoy played for us in terms of rucking dominance. He actually destroyed quite a decent ruckman. We have a new Dean Cox in the making.

Our pressure (as it was last year) was fantastic. You gotta love Billings, Acres, Lonie, Dunstan & young Gresham, the basis of formidable midfield.

We are moving forward nicely, we are well drilled by a fine Coach. There is plenty to look forward to.
What have you against Seb?
He murdered the ball by foot on far too many occasions, he will need to improve on that. At this time Dunstan & Acres are better.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:
saynta wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:I was absolutely delighted considering Port are top 4 material. Sure the final quarter was disappointing, but we just ran out of legs. I think the missed practice match contributed to that.

Hickey had a mighty game, all the Hickey doubters should man up and say they were wrong. The best rucking display I've seen from a St Kilda ruckman for a long time. Better than any game McEvoy played for us in terms of rucking dominance. He actually destroyed quite a decent ruckman. We have a new Dean Cox in the making.

Our pressure (as it was last year) was fantastic. You gotta love Billings, Acres, Lonie, Dunstan & young Gresham, the basis of formidable midfield.

We are moving forward nicely, we are well drilled by a fine Coach. There is plenty to look forward to.
He murdered the ball by foot on far too many occasions, he will need to improve on that. At this time Dunstan & Acres are better.
Ross is now miles ahead of both Dunstan and Acres, both of whom are far worse by foot than Ross will ever be, or did you happen to miss Acres sideways kick out on the full whilst under no pressure?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
saynta wrote:

mHo.

No way imho. Dunstan will be lucky to get a game next week and acres has only played one quarter of good football so far

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
saynta wrote:

Ross is now miles ahead of both Dunstan and Acres, both of whom are far worse by foot than Ross will ever be, or did you happen to miss Acres sideways kick out on the full whilst under no pressure?

Correct. :lol:

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Positives were Hickey in the ruck, quite outstanding, and we won a lot of clearances.

Seb Ross was great in the midfield, and I was delighted with Blake Acres game.

Our relentless tackling pressure in the first three quarters was outstanding but energy sapping, I was proud of our boys attitude.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Is the positive... The cause of the negative?

Can we (or anyone) keep up that relentless pressure footy for 120mins?

It takes a toll....

If it puts opposition to the sword, it's great, if they withstand it 3 quarters, and be in striking distance... We might be in trouble.

Don't get me wrong, it's tremendous effort, defending like that... We must capitalise more offensively though

one point
Club Player

Seems like a game plan designed to win flags. Will take a while for the delivery to match the expectation.

the dome
Club Player

S A I N T L Y S P I R I T A L I V E A G A I N

I was somewhat staggered to witness what many of our young players were able to produce @ the Adelaide Oval during the first 3 Qrts before exhaustion took its' grip. The young guys looked possessed and full of intent to control the ball and nail goals. I felt I was seeing the promising beginnings of players playing successfully & creatively as a team while being on the same page as each other. These players when on song are certainly exciting to watch. There was plenty of growth in this game and hopefully the focus can be maintained. Hickey was an invaluable tower of strength and he helped keep his team-mates in the right groove for much of the game. I loved the creative and accurate handball from the start. Not surprised really that the boys seemed to have used up all their fuel by the last qrt. but that shouldn't take away from their positivity and grit in the previous 3 Qrts. There was a window open for a while when 3 goals or so were kicked in quick succession and more could have kept the scoreboard ticking over and closing out the game for port. The energy was there to keep adding to the scoreboard pressure but this will be one of the next lessons that these young Sainters will begin to focus on and achieve a pass in.
I'll be staying tuned to these young Sainters to see what they come up with next.
Well done AR you're definately doing something right! The 4 points should arrive soon I would think

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Is the positive... The cause of the negative?

Can we (or anyone) keep up that relentless pressure footy for 120mins?

It takes a toll....

If it puts opposition to the sword, it's great, if they withstand it 3 quarters, and be in striking distance... We might be in trouble.

Don't get me wrong, it's tremendous effort, defending like that... We must capitalise more offensively though
I'm not sure how much more we can capatalise more offensively, we kicked 15 goals for the game (14 in 3 quarters). Most of these goals came as a result of direct turnovers caused by our manic pressure.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

My biggest positive was the clean hand passes. Last year we couldn't hit a target standing still and in the first 3 quarters were hitting people on the sprint without missing a step.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Griggsy wrote:My biggest positive was the clean hand passes. Last year we couldn't hit a target standing still and in the first 3 quarters were hitting people on the sprint without missing a step.
There was, for me, one specific reminder of wooden spoon behaviour which annoyed me.
All guys streaming forward, (3rd qtr I think) Roberton handballed to Newnes, who was still, had to jump up to collect it, 2 Power guys nearby, one crunched him.
Bad for Newnes to call while vulnerable, and even worse for Dylan who has 5 years in the system and should know better!
Don't do that Rubbish any more please!

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

At last people are enjoying our good losses.

We will have more losses than wins this year,:so you gotta enjoy the good losses!

Id be happy if we can put together another 3 quarter effort next week against the Dogs. Whilst they should comfortably beat us, it shouldn't be a Freo type pushover game.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Biggest positive for me is the improvement around the clearances thus far. That aspect of St Kilda's game has improved dramatically from last season.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I thought our last quarter was such a negative, that it overshadowed any positives apart for the great effort of Hickey, who played the best ruck game by a Saint for years, and I do believe he will get better. I was encouraged by Acres, who is able to get the ball out of tight situations, and like Hickey, will benefit from game time. Quick ball movement is improving, but on a negative- Geary surely cannot be carried with his shocking disposal and poor decision making.. the turnovers kill a team like us who are struggling to take a step, and had a golden opportunity to have an upset win. Very unimpressed by the forward structure and the ease at which Port could get hand on the ball in our forward line and have time to clear effectively- I thought AR said he was addressing the poor defensive work of the forward line in a preseason interview- better pull out the coaching 101 manual Richo and look up defensive football!

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:I thought our last quarter was such a negative, that it overshadowed any positives apart for the great effort of Hickey, who played the best ruck game by a Saint for years, and I do believe he will get better. I was encouraged by Acres, who is able to get the ball out of tight situations, and like Hickey, will benefit from game time. Quick ball movement is improving, but on a negative- Geary surely cannot be carried with his shocking disposal and poor decision making.. the turnovers kill a team like us who are struggling to take a step, and had a golden opportunity to have an upset win. Very unimpressed by the forward structure and the ease at which Port could get hand on the ball in our forward line and have time to clear effectively- I thought AR said he was addressing the poor defensive work of the forward line in a preseason interview- better pull out the coaching 101 manual Richo and look up defensive football!
Playing 2 practice matches a month apart and half the team not playing in the first one PLUS, having another week off leading into round 1 played a huge part in the side grinding to a halt with 5 minutes left in the third term. If last quarter fade outs like that start to become habit it's a cause for concern but, I'll be reserving judgement on that until a month's time.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

positives:
tom hickey
roo not needing to get a dozen marks and kick 5 goals for us to be in the game
ball movement
centre clearances

a lot to like
sinclair goddard paddy and carlisle to come in and we'll be ok in a year or so
Last edited by matrix on Tue 29 Mar 2016 9:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
saynta wrote:

Correct. :lol:
Are you Seb Ross' mother or father?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Another positive, we kicked 15 goals (100 points) with a contribution of only 3 from Roo & Bruce.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Another positive, we kicked 15 goals (100 points) with a contribution of only 3 from Roo & Bruce.
Bruce was poor in my opinion.

Marked the ball about 45 metres from goal, then ignored Acres who was 30 metres clear in the goal square.

And he missed everything with a really poor kick.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:Another positive, we kicked 15 goals (100 points) with a contribution of only 3 from Roo & Bruce.
Bruce was poor in my opinion.

Marked the ball about 45 metres from goal, then ignored Acres who was 30 metres clear in the goal square.

And he missed everything with a really poor kick.
That was a blue. Bruce was clearly desperate to get on the board for the season but should have def gone to Acres on that occasion.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

can remember screaming at the tv for him to hurry up
can remember calling him too slow to think about it
can also remember the mrs telling me that he cant hear me

loris
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:can remember screaming at the tv for him to hurry up
Ah we women think alike 'matrix'........... I too was yelling at the tv.... 'Move it on, move it on Bruce, Acres on his own in the goal square........... Then I told myself to 'settle down poppet - he can't hear you' ! :oops: :oops: :oops:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Id be happy if we can put together another 3 quarter effort next week against the Dogs. Whilst they should comfortably beat us, it shouldn't be a Freo type pushover game.
Another positive is that the Dogs struggle against us...so hopefully our form from last year against them continues, only with more accurate kicking in front of goal this time.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
matrix wrote:can remember screaming at the tv for him to hurry up
Ah we women think alike 'matrix'........... I too was yelling at the tv.... 'Move it on, move it on Bruce, Acres on his own in the goal square........... Then I told myself to 'settle down poppet - he can't hear you' ! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Reminds of that great Aussie film, "Careful, he might hear you."

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bbm
Club Player

spert wrote:I thought our last quarter was such a negative, that it overshadowed any positives apart for the great effort of Hickey, who played the best ruck game by a Saint for years, and I do believe he will get better. I was encouraged by Acres, who is able to get the ball out of tight situations, and like Hickey, will benefit from game time. Quick ball movement is improving, but on a negative- Geary surely cannot be carried with his shocking disposal and poor decision making.. the turnovers kill a team like us who are struggling to take a step, and had a golden opportunity to have an upset win. Very unimpressed by the forward structure and the ease at which Port could get hand on the ball in our forward line and have time to clear effectively- I thought AR said he was addressing the poor defensive work of the forward line in a preseason interview- better pull out the coaching 101 manual Richo and look up defensive football!
I'm obviously not a regular poster here but I don't really understand your constant negative comments regarding AR whilst also still lauding Scott Watters (who became an obvious liability for the club) - when did he last coach us? Anyway what do you specifically mean by improving defensive structures? You mention this constantly in relation to forwards, midfielders and back line players - to win a game of footy you have to take risks - you cant be totally defensive. Where do want players to stand? Can they initiate play or just be reactionary? I thought AR and his team coached sensationally on the weekend - exposing Port behind their zone - how many times - 8 times? There was all this criticism about team selection and how undersized we would be - yet we almost pull off a miracle win - away from home with the 16th weakest list in the comp.

Personally, I reckon we are in very good hands.