GEARY

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Re: GEARY

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Geary will play until DMac or Rice are ready to take his spot. They might be a few years away. Certainly wont be this year and probably not next. 2018 I think Geary will lose his spot in the side. But that is 43 games he still has to play. That takes him beyond the 150 career game mark.
'

This is true. You can throw in Wright too - he's probably not ready either, and he's the guy closest to Geary in physical make up.

All of our defenders are going to be defensively found-out if the midfield isn't putting on enormous pressure. That's exactly why we were willing to give a lot for Carlisle.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Geary will play until DMac or Rice are ready to take his spot. They might be a few years away. Certainly wont be this year and probably not next. 2018 I think Geary will lose his spot in the side. But that is 43 games he still has to play. That takes him beyond the 150 career game mark.
'

This is true. You can throw in Wright too - he's probably not ready either, and he's the guy closest to Geary in physical make up.

All of our defenders are going to be defensively found-out if the midfield isn't putting on enormous pressure. That's exactly why we were willing to give a lot for Carlisle.

Wright unfortunately has a tendency to spray the ball as well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

citywest wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
citywest wrote:Geary and Gilbert need to be phased out of the team. Their disposal by foot is very suspect. I would hope that by next year neither of them are in the side anymore.
Gilbert got 27 possessions a goal and five tackles. He was so good he got in the Age best twice.
....but what the stats don't tell you is how many times his kicking caused turnovers. Personally, I would rather Goddard play instead of Gilbert. The sooner we phase out the oldies the quicker we get all our young players to that magical 50 game mark.
Where in hell do you think Goddard played yestrrday? Gilbert is 28 not 34. Maybe we should get rid of Roo as well he is "old".

You are garbage - Enough said
citywest

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
citywest wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
citywest wrote:Geary and Gilbert need to be phased out of the team. Their disposal by foot is very suspect. I would hope that by next year neither of them are in the side anymore.
Gilbert got 27 possessions a goal and five tackles. He was so good he got in the Age best twice.
....but what the stats don't tell you is how many times his kicking caused turnovers. Personally, I would rather Goddard play instead of Gilbert. The sooner we phase out the oldies the quicker we get all our young players to that magical 50 game mark.
Where in hell do you think Goddard played yestrrday? Gilbert is 28 not 34. Maybe we should get rid of Roo as well he is "old".
I don't know where Goddard played yesterday. How about you tell me Bunk_Moreland?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

citywest wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
citywest wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
I don't know where Goddard played yesterday. How about you tell me Bunk_Moreland?

You tell us. You want to replace Gilbert with Goddard. John Snow knows more than you apprently.

You are garbage - Enough said
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Thought Gilbert was largely ineffective yesterday. Think there is a lazy tendency to focus too much on the disposal count. Acres was more useful than Gilbert.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
evo
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:You're a bit late foks - Good Friday was the day for crucifixions.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

firthy
Club Player

Trying to look at Gears with some factual information ,last years AFL prospectus stated he was able to win more of the ball than any other season - with 19 disposals per game - and was effective by foot , recording a kick rating of + 3.2% - which is a rating above average for a general defender. This week Total disposals 19 including 9 in the last qtr, he would have under a bit of pressure at that stage, 10 contested possessions ,11 uncontested 1 tackle, 6 spoils, 3 errors which would be average and better than most as there were 7s 5s and 4s amongst other players . Is definitely a player that teammates enjoy playing with one to have in the trenches beside you.

Please let me live long enough to see it happen.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I shudder when he gets the pill...a turn over is most likely...having said that the bloke has a crack and does create pressure when needed. in the washup some of the posters on here are smarter than the selectors , there must be an army of players in the 2's more capable to take his place. Maybe some of the posters should ring the club and offer their services ? :)

so we bag players when we know only to well we are struggling, have mediocre stock and are fielding the best we have ..good luck with that..it will do your head in.

Embrace what we have and hope for improvement and enjoy the game like I just did.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Wow
I thought he was average
Just goes to show you, you only see the neg things most of the time
If he could kick well oj both feet he wouod be a gun

What the hell was that two cm kick in the goalsquare lol?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I quite like Gears because I like any footballer that really has a crack and his running ability is amazing but, at the same time, I think ahead to if we're potentially a top 4 side and think 'Would he get a game in a top 4 side?' He'd probably be a depth player on a top 4 list.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Very few AFL players ever kick on their non-preferred at all... Mitch aside.

Less than 10% of AFL kicks are non preferred nowadays, much less than 10-20 years ago.... Because the emphasis on retaining possession and not turning the ball over, and also because of the increased numbers around the ball

Players are loathe to use their non preferred, and will handball first if under pressure (even to a close by teammate under pressure) or bomb it out of the area... Rather than a non-preferred pass. They just won't risk the turn over.

Very few lefties, unless absolutely necessary... Ever use their right .... As often the wrong foot defenders anyway.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

millarsaint wrote:Thought Gilbert was largely ineffective yesterday. Think there is a lazy tendency to focus too much on the disposal count. Acres was more useful than Gilbert.
Yeah, fair enough. I still think Gilbo has missed a lot of footy over the past few years. Would love him to just play 3 months of AFL footy in a row with no disruptions. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he really found that breaking the lines form he's capable of in the second half of the season.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

firthy wrote:Trying to look at Gears with some factual information ,last years AFL prospectus stated he was able to win more of the ball than any other season - with 19 disposals per game - and was effective by foot , recording a kick rating of + 3.2% - which is a rating above average for a general defender. This week Total disposals 19 including 9 in the last qtr, he would have under a bit of pressure at that stage, 10 contested possessions ,11 uncontested 1 tackle, 6 spoils, 3 errors which would be average and better than most as there were 7s 5s and 4s amongst other players . Is definitely a player that teammates enjoy playing with one to have in the trenches beside you.
Well this just proves my point. Every time we have a histrionic, confirmation bias-based player lynching, some spoilsport hoves into view and destroys our fun with a few stupid facts. Thanks a lot, Firthy! I know Gears butchers it occasionally and it's a matter of when and where, rather than how many times it happens that matters, but you'd better get used to seeing his name on the team sheet each week. I have it on good authority from a source within the inner sanctum, that Gears is a highly rated and valued member of the team, who is one of the first picked each week. He performs his role admirably and sets a fine example to others, on the track as well as on and off the field. He and the coaches are well aware of his limitations and no one works harder at eradicating them, than JG. We need at least one of his type in the side. One, without great disposal, you can carry. I produce Clinton Jones as supporting evidence. Much worse kick than Gears, but an essential part of a team that played in 3 prelims and 3 Grand Finals.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am calling it - our coach is a half-wit.

He comes out and says Geary played well because he was on Dalhaus.

Is he stuck in the 1980s? The days that a defender can just play a negating role all day ended about a decade ago.

Johanissen - a defender had 27 disposals, Adams - a pure defender 24. Morris - one the last of the old school dour defenders 16. Josh Dunkley who was only drafted last week and is 19yo had 12. Suckling 22 and Wood 19.

Geary has 8 (mostly floaters and tumble kicks) and Dalhaus gets 16 and our coach says he played a good game. Is this a joke? Because it seems like it.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 03 Apr 2016 11:11pm, edited 2 times in total.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

I'm worried he becomes our next captain. The coach rates him highly.

The_President
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I am calling it - our coach is a half-wit.

He comes out and says Geary played well because he was on Dalhaus.

Is he stuck in the 1980s? The days that a defender can just play a negating role all day ended about a decade ago.

Johannisen - a defender had 27 disposals, Adams - a pure defender 24. Morris - one the last of the old school dour defenders 16. Josh Dunkley who was only drafted last week and is 19yo had 12. Suckling 22 and Wood 19.

Geary has 7 (mostly floaters and tumble kicks) and Dalhaus 16 and our coach says he played a good game. Is this a joke? Because it seems like it.
So are you saying that Geary played poorly?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Mills and Boon in conjunction with St Kilda Football Club present

A steamy new erotic novel

He was just a good ordinary player

But he found a coach who embraced mediocrity

And together they would be endlessly whipped by disgruntled supporters to release their pent up frustrations

50 Shades of Geary

elizabethr
Club Player

Geary was abysmal.

nothing to say
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Mills and Boon in conjunction with St Kilda Football Club present

A steamy new erotic novel

He was just a good ordinary player

But he found a coach who embraced mediocrity

And together they would be endlessly whipped by disgruntled supporters to release their pent up frustrations

50 Shades of Geary
I dont like to play favourites... but youve gotta love bluthy. Always adds some levity and creativity to the forum :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Seriously the way coach talks Geary is a fusion of the Dalai Lama (great bloke), Douglas MacArthur (leadership) and the Red Baron (courage).

All I want is for him to be able kick a drop punt in a straight line.