Saints only. SuperCoach discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Saints only. SuperCoach discussion

Which Saints are you picking in your side and why or why not?

For me it's

Billings. $455,100. One year he will break through to the elite status and I will be on him even though he hasn't proven to be durable.
Ross $365,900. I think he will be a bit of a cash cow even though his disposal can be questioned. Planning on keeping him until the bye period and offloading him for an elite
Gresham $144,300. Only if playing round 1 as I think you need to have all players playing round 1

I was thinking Acres after the preseason hype but have gone cold on that idea.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints only. SuperCoach discussion

Only Gresham for mine,then any other rookies coming throughout the season that reach the bubble.

I try to stay away from mid pricers unless they are a gun coming back from injury or I'm pretty confident it's a young un about to break out. I am not even sure Ross is in out best 22 as the season go's on,he has a lot of flaws in his game and for someone that is slow and has poor disposal he is not finding the ball enough.

Billings,might be a year early,$455k is risky for a third year player who has had durability issues. 'Lintonstreetcurse' has trust issues with players that aren't durable. We(me) are not going with anyone who has had a poor pre season ,injury interrupted..

Bring back the Lockett era
saintjake
Club Player

A left field one for die hard Saints fans is Tommy Curren. Is a forward and midfielder from memory and only around $150k
If he plays round 1 and plays alright he could be a cash cow POD

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I've just done mine and its my first time so I have no idea what the hell I'm doing re strategy so I've loaded up on superstar mids and gone with some Saints just for fun. Lonie at 300 and Sinclair at 283 could be good value if both can also go through the midfield this year. I've been impressed with Bruce this preseason at 360. He just works so damn hard and has such a good leap at the footy that I could see him get 50 goals again. Paddy at 200 could be worth a gamble - he may play quite a bit this year. I've gone with Hickey in the ruck at 375 - could be a break out year with options rucking and/or playing forward. Newnes is pricey at 489 but I think he'll get lots of it with the 90 rotation cap as he's damn fit. I've got Acres on the bench at 256 - once he gets his fitness and confidence going (he's a big guy remember they take some time to develop) I think he can be a ripper - he can be a danger forward as well as mid/wing. Tommy Lee at 123 could be a bargain if, and its a huge if, he can get himself in our backline regularly.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

In the herald sun today Montagna has nominated Billings, Lonie, Ross and McCartin as players for a big year.
So I'm now locked into Billings, Ross as a cash cow and thinking Of Lonie.
I dont usually like the small forwards that aren't proven in the midfield with SuperCoach but he was good against Melbourne and is top 4 in the comp for tackles in forward 50. If he gets his numbers up he will be great but I think we might have a few heavy losses when he will struggle to score.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Definitely only Gresham

Bluthy you need to stay clear of mid priced players

Players who around 300-400 to impact your team need to improve and be good enough to get to a value of 400-500. Is this really likely? Otherwise they are treading water for you and if they go backwards you finish up having to trade out a player who lets say cost you $350 and at round 8 are down to $300 . Very difficult to make this ground up,.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
shrodes
SS Life Member

I've got Gresham and Billings, may look at Freeman as a downgrade target later in the year if he can get on the park.
Considered Ross, but he wasn't especially notable in the preseason so I've taken him out.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="shrodes"]I've got Gresham and Billings, may look at Freeman as a downgrade target later in the year if he can get on the park.
Considered Ross, but he wasn't especially notable in the preseason so I've taken him out.[/quote]

Ross had 28 and 26 touches in the two NAB games. Game high against north and behind Steven in the Melbourne game.
His NAB form is the only reason I'm going with him.
I also strongly disagree with avoiding mid price players. All $500,000+ players would of been $350,000 players at some stage. They can make as much money as a rookie
Mid priced players on the rise are also likely to play unless injured where as rookies although great cash cows come in and out regularly.
If you just go with guns and rookies you miss out on many opportunities

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I'm doing the Afl one and have Joey, Jack Steven, jack sinclair and Jack Lonie in my team

shrodes
SS Life Member

Goose is king wrote: Ross had 28 and 26 touches in the two NAB games. Game high against north and behind Steven in the Melbourne game.
His NAB form is the only reason I'm going with him.
I also strongly disagree with avoiding mid price players. All $500,000+ players would of been $350,000 players at some stage. They can make as much money as a rookie
Mid priced players on the rise are also likely to play unless injured where as rookies although great cash cows come in and out regularly.
If you just go with guns and rookies you miss out on many opportunities
He was a lot better in the Kangaroos game, and he sits in that awkward price range. I think he'll have a good year, just a bit risky for me personally. I did have him in my team at one point but he got lost in a shuffle.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Goose is king wrote:Which Saints are you picking in your side and why or why not?

For me it's

Billings. $455,100. One year he will break through to the elite status and I will be on him even though he hasn't proven to be durable.
Ross $365,900. I think he will be a bit of a cash cow even though his disposal can be questioned. Planning on keeping him until the bye period and offloading him for an elite
Gresham $144,300. Only if playing round 1 as I think you need to have all players playing round 1

I was thinking Acres after the preseason hype but have gone cold on that idea.
Exact 3 I already had in mine :lol:

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I ended up ditching Ross. I have gone the two Crouch brothers and with the spare cash took Ablett instead of Ross.