Tommy Lee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Lee

There was a bit of talk that Tommy Lee was unhappy with not being able to finish out the finals with Sandy and being sent off for surgery (ankle or shoulder? cant remember) but as it has panned out (with Carlisle and Roberton) it looks a good decision. Tom will certainly see a fair bit of game time in the NAB challenge at the very least. A real opportunity for him to show what he can do down back at the top level. I wish him the best of luck.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tommy Lee

He was the Iceman on Friday at the intra club - He had more ice on him after the game than an igloo.

He may not come up for this weekends Nab challenge match but we do need to see what he can offer before the official season kicks off.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Agreed what I saw last week I would have him in front of Goddard and blokes like Fisher will have maintain there form to keep Tommy out of the team!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Kernal75
Club Player

Not big enough to play KPD and simply not good enough at AFL level. Last year of his contract will likely be plying his trade in the WAFL next season. Goddard gets first crack this year with Fisher. Only way Tommy gets a crack is if one of those 2 go down

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Kernal75 wrote:Not big enough to play KPD and simply not good enough at AFL level. Last year of his contract will likely be plying his trade in the WAFL next season. Goddard gets first crack this year with Fisher. Only way Tommy gets a crack is if one of those 2 go down
Thats a big statement - how do you know when he hasnt played at AFL level in defense? Did you watch the practice match - Goddard looked ordinary in that match. Goddard will be a solid player but I feel people are expecting a lot of the kid because of his size not on his performances. I am completely against gifting kids (Goddard) games he should have to earn it just like everyone else in the side.

Both Fisher & Dempster are too small to play KPP but have done for years. Gibson from the Hawks is 189cms and plays on KPP, if your good enough your big enough.

LEE's intercept marking and kicking are first rate and if he can keep his body right he will play AFL footy and do well IMO.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm not holding my breath but it would be awesome if this guy could make it, we desperately need more high quality kicking coming out of the backline.

What has happened to Roberton Con? I've missed that…

St Loxton
Club Player

Would love to see it all click for him, stay injury free and play out of his skin accross hb this year.
Has the ability but does he have the mental application to be successful at top level?
Now or never.

lewdogs
Club Player

Another great thing about Tommy is that he's a brilliant club man. Watching him around the huddle and such in the VFL last year, he really pumps up the players and gives great voice and support.

Another thing is that he's an excellent kick.

Watching on Friday, I think he needs to work on his decision making. Seems to hesitate at times and gets himself into a bit of a muddle, which will be even harder in the fast pace of AFL.

Having said that, I agree that at this stage he looks way ahead of Hugh for Rd 1. He's a good spoiler and really runs at packs (may be why he was so sore after the match on Friday), but is great with ball in hand too (a weakness of Delaney). Really hope he gets a good run at it this year for all these reasons.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Agreed what I saw last week I would have him in front of Goddard and blokes like Fisher will have maintain there form to keep Tommy out of the team!
I watched almost every Sandy game last year and, although Lee is a beautiful kick, he is just not up to AFL standard as a key defender. He may be ok as a 3rd tall but not in a key defensive post. Unfortunately for him we have 3rd tells covered with Roberton, Gilbert and Dempster who will all play before Lee.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

If they want to get Lee in the team they will find a way. Richo talked about Roberton playing higher up - probably either the wing or even as a defensive midfielder. So you could then play Lee either on the third tall and free up Fisher to be more creative or Lee plays the Roberton floating half back role.

I like that idea of another good kicking backman to go with Goddard and Carlisle. Hawks and Cats based their dynasties on having good kicking backlines that were able to slice their way out from the back keeping the footy.
  • Lee worked well with Goddard in the praccy match with lots of chatter - you could see they worked together at Sandy. The worries are:
  • Is he durable enough? He's had both shoulders operated on hasn't he? Some players just aren't built to withstand the brutality of AFL. He came up very proppy when he hit a big pack in the praccy game
  • Does he have the tank? Defence is probably not as aerobically intensive but playing as that third tall his opponent is going to make lots of hard leads and try to blow him up. He's struggled with endurance in the AFL so far
  • He's pretty stiff when the ball hits the deck. Has he had knee problems? He seems to struggle to really bend at the knees.
  • He's not the quickest particularly getting off the mark. When he gets a bit of speed up he's not too bad. But then Dempster isn't quick and uses his ball reading to cover that.
Some of these foibles may well be mitigated with time and experience. He hasn't played a lot of AFL footy. I'd prefer to see what Lee can do before Delaney but maybe it will be horses for courses and what forward gorrillas are needed to be covered.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:Not big enough to play KPD
Well apart from Goddard we really have no options taller than Lee anyway that are ready to play this year.
Kernal75 wrote: and simply not good enough at AFL level. Last year of his contract will likely be plying his trade in the WAFL next season. Goddard gets first crack this year with Fisher. Only way Tommy gets a crack is if one of those 2 go down
Well Lee is 194cm and Fisher 191cm. Carlisle would be better, but is not available.
Goddard is taller, but is still very raw.

Delaney is also 194cm, but is beefier. But lacks an offensive game and is a poor kick.
Fisher is a quality player, but it is his last year most likely, and plays better as the third key defender rather than in a key role.
Gilbert is 194cm, but the club looks to have thineed him down I would assume to have him play with significant midfield time.

So I would like to see Lee given a crack at it. Initially in the NAB and then in the H&A if that goes ok. Since getting his shoulders done, he looks to have built up muscle wise and so should havea better 2016 than 2015. He may or not make it, but 2016 is a development year and so giveng players like Lee a crack should bea key part of what the year is about.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:Not big enough to play KPD
Well apart from Goddard we really have no options taller than Lee anyway that are ready to play this year.
Kernal75 wrote: and simply not good enough at AFL level. Last year of his contract will likely be plying his trade in the WAFL next season. Goddard gets first crack this year with Fisher. Only way Tommy gets a crack is if one of those 2 go down
Well Lee is 194cm and Fisher 191cm. Carlisle would be better, but is not available.
Goddard is taller, but is still very raw.

Delaney is also 194cm, but is beefier. But lacks an offensive game and is a poor kick.
Fisher is a quality player, but it is his last year most likely, and plays better as the third key defender rather than in a key role.
Gilbert is 194cm, but the club looks to have thineed him down I would assume to have him play with significant midfield time.

So I would like to see Lee given a crack at it. Initially in the NAB and then in the H&A if that goes ok. Since getting his shoulders done, he looks to have built up muscle wise and so should havea better 2016 than 2015. He may or not make it, but 2016 is a development year and so giveng players like Lee a crack should bea key part of what the year is about.
Well said.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I thought he had his ankles done last year!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I'm not holding my breath but it would be awesome if this guy could make it, we desperately need more high quality kicking coming out of the backline.

What has happened to Roberton Con? I've missed that…
Minor ankle injury. Nothing serious. But it opens a spot for TL in the NAB challenge.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Agreed what I saw last week I would have him in front of Goddard and blokes like Fisher will have maintain there form to keep Tommy out of the team!
I watched almost every Sandy game last year and, although Lee is a beautiful kick, he is just not up to AFL standard as a key defender. He may be ok as a 3rd tall but not in a key defensive post. Unfortunately for him we have 3rd tells covered with Roberton, Gilbert and Dempster who will all play before Lee.
Roberton - Injured
Dempster - Getting on. Last season probably.
Gilbo - Will be used on a wing/midfield and highly dubious disposal.

But agree that Lee is a 3rd tall and not a KP.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see Lee played at CHB regularly this year. I would also like to see Delaney go back to playing on the monster forwards. In the case of Lee, he cost us a high draft pick, and he's in the last year of his contract, Carlisle can't play, Fisher is getting older, and it would be good to see if we can get some return on the development we've put into the guy. I would like Delaney to play at FB this year so that Goddard can be eased into the seniors, not flogged and thrown to the wolves each week.
With Tom, when Carlisle comes back next year, and Goddard is a year older, he can be our fourth tall backman, behind them and Roberton. I really hope Lee makes it if, for no other reason, he cost us a high draft pick, and if he makes it we will really be assembling a staunch defence. How do you guys rate his field kicking?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:I'm not holding my breath but it would be awesome if this guy could make it, we desperately need more high quality kicking coming out of the backline.…
Ditto.

I just don't think his body or mind can stand the rigours of AFL footy

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He played well Friday

He played very well in defense at Sandy last year

Can he step it up a level to AFL standard
Not so sure, time will tell.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He played well Friday

He played very well in defense at Sandy last year

Can he step it up a level to AFL standard
Not so sure, time will tell.
No. Not AFL standard IMHO.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Good luck Tommy Lee I hope you prove all the doubters wrong. If not then your time will probably be up. I hope you make it.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully he plays this week so that we can all have a look and make up our own minds.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Hopefully he plays this week so that we can all have a look and make up our own minds.
Lee will definitely get a good go this year. I think Richo even spoke about playing him up forward a bit as well so they haven't written him off. Could be a handy swingman. He's 25 now so is getting to the make it or break it stage. With Carlisle out and Fisher and Dempster aging its really up to him to stake his claim.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Isnt his kicking A grade?
He is kind of the anti-Gilbo.
Nowhere near as athletic as Gilbo but can kick it.

It isnt much good doing great things to win the ball then side stepping an opponent, running 20m and kicking it straight to the opposition and then watching the ball go back over you head while you catch your breath.

ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Isnt his kicking A grade?

It isnt much good doing great things to win the ball then side stepping an opponent, running 20m and kicking it straight to the opposition and then watching the ball go back over you head while you catch your breath.

No but it is even worse than just not being good enough other wise Lee would play instead of Gilbert. I know which one I would rather in the backline and that's Sam. If they can use Sam in the middle that's f\good as well.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Isnt his kicking A grade?

It's not just if he's got a good kick - we know from his set shots on goal that he can kick nice straight kicks. But how does that kicking translate as defender. How does it hold up under pressure, how quick can he get the ball to boot with guys trying to run him down - forward pressure is getting more full on each year. How quick does his brain work in the heat, what's his decision making like, does he have the cold-bloodedness to execute under pressure that defenders need. Can he maintain good kicking in the 3rd and 4th quarters when he's tired. Can he kick it flat enough to give his team-mates the edge. All that is very different to having a calm 30 seconds while having a shot on goal. All questions that need answering.